Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Norwich City Women FC 12:30 - May 22 with 7468 viewsHipsterectomy

I saw that Stuart Webber has angered the budgies for a number of reasons with his interviews (divorced dads hurling abuse at him etc). One thing I’ve seen is his almost contempt for their women’s side. He said he only recently found out they had one, he has zero interest in it, it’s of really poor quality and he has only allowed them to play at Carrow Road as a favour. Obviously he can have an opinion, but it was bizarre as the journo steered the question as ‘how can the women’s team continue making great progress’.

It’s a small thing, you might argue, but summarises how different our clubs are now. McKenna, Ashton and players regularly go to watch the women. The women’s team watch us at home. TWTD does match reports, Blue Monday does news/previews and KoA has its own ITFC women weekly episode. Our owners have also said that ITFC women is a big part of their future plan here.

It just seems bizarre he’s head of the club and the community and talking about how rubbish it is and that it’s essentially a waste of time and resources.

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Norwich City Women FC on 12:36 - May 22 with 4637 viewsburnbudgiesburn

I personally pay only passing attention to the womens game, but the rate of improvement from say 20 years ago compared to today is phenomenal. Now fast forward 20 years and revenues/rewards/ media attention/ fees & money making potential could all explode beyond what is thought of now.

Seems very short sighted of any club safeguarding its future to not be involved with a womens team.
Norwich City Women FC on 12:38 - May 22 with 4594 viewsclive_baker

What I find most remarkable about it isn't his personal opinion on women's football, that might be one shared by a lot of people in similar positions to his own. But to speak so candidly about that when he occupies the role he does within the club is absolutely ridiculous. The more I hear from him the more of an incompetent fool he seems.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Norwich City Women FC on 12:40 - May 22 with 4558 viewsPinewoodblue

If they can’t really afford the resources needed to run the women’s team they are in Dire straits financially.

Parachute payments end after the upcoming season. Promotion or bust!

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Norwich City Women FC on 12:41 - May 22 with 4547 viewsSitfcB

I don’t care about ITFC women but I can say that, someone in his position shouldn’t really say it

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Norwich City Women FC on 12:44 - May 22 with 4520 viewsitfcjoe

It's incredible really, and so patronising to them.

I get not everyone likes women's football, that is obviously ok - but this isn't Stuart Webber saying this to mates down the pub - this is Stuart Webber, Sporting Director of Norwich City speaking on official club business.

“That was the first women’s game I’ve been to because it’s not an interest to me. I don’t mind admitting that,” he said. “I love working with Flo (Allen, the general manager of Norwich City Women) and helping her, but that’s because it’s Flo.

“Women’s football, I do not watch it. It’s of zero interest to me in terms of on the telly because I watch enough men’s football and if I’m not watching that, I want to watch other sports. It’s a choice which I think should be OK.”

You listen and read his interview, and he comes across as such a nob.

To me it is very reminiscent of the end of Mick McCarthy's reign - objectively he is doing a good job, punching above budgetary constraints etc - but both Mick and Webber truly belive(d) that the club is lucky to have them, that they are answerable to nobody and that if people don't like it they can lump it.

Took weird Alan Partridge vibes at the end as well:
“All the stick I’ve got this last week, brilliant,” he said. “I’d rather it be aimed at me than other people. I don’t mind being a human shield because I don’t need to be walking around the city having selfies.

“I’ve been in the city centre three times in my life, two of them to feed homeless people.

“As we know, the abuse towards people like me is completely OK because I’m in a privileged position. Obviously, abuse towards a black person or a woman is not OK. I’ve got my head round that and I’m completely cool with that.”

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Norwich City Women FC on 12:45 - May 22 with 4494 viewsSE1blue

Norwich City Women FC on 12:38 - May 22 by clive_baker

What I find most remarkable about it isn't his personal opinion on women's football, that might be one shared by a lot of people in similar positions to his own. But to speak so candidly about that when he occupies the role he does within the club is absolutely ridiculous. The more I hear from him the more of an incompetent fool he seems.

If he’s still in the same role by the start of the season, I’d be amazed. Seems like he’s on a mission to self-implode. These quotes from the Athletic show how utterly clueless he is at (being a human) connecting with the public…

“All the stick I’ve got this last week, brilliant,” he said. “I’d rather it be aimed at me than other people. I don’t mind being a human shield because I don’t need to be walking around the city having selfies.

“I’ve been in the city centre three times in my life, two of them to feed homeless people.

“As we know, the abuse towards people like me is completely OK because I’m in a privileged position. Obviously, abuse towards a black person or a woman is not OK. I’ve got my head round that and I’m completely cool with that.”

Poll: Should VAR be scrapped?
Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Norwich City Women FC on 12:49 - May 22 with 4460 viewsIllinoisblue

Norwich City Women FC on 12:44 - May 22 by itfcjoe

I get not everyone likes women's football, that is obviously ok - but this isn't Stuart Webber saying this to mates down the pub - this is Stuart Webber, Sporting Director of Norwich City speaking on official club business.

“That was the first women’s game I’ve been to because it’s not an interest to me. I don’t mind admitting that,” he said. “I love working with Flo (Allen, the general manager of Norwich City Women) and helping her, but that’s because it’s Flo.

“Women’s football, I do not watch it. It’s of zero interest to me in terms of on the telly because I watch enough men’s football and if I’m not watching that, I want to watch other sports. It’s a choice which I think should be OK.”

To me it is very reminiscent of the end of Mick McCarthy's reign - objectively he is doing a good job, punching above budgetary constraints etc - but both Mick and Webber truly belive(d) that the club is lucky to have them, that they are answerable to nobody and that if people don't like it they can lump it.

He sounds utterly deranged and delusional. I hadn’t seen the bit about feeding homeless people.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Norwich City Women FC on 12:50 - May 22 with 4449 viewsSE1blue

Norwich City Women FC on 12:49 - May 22 by Illinoisblue

He sounds utterly deranged and delusional. I hadn’t seen the bit about feeding homeless people.

‘Accepting’ he’s privileged and that racism is unacceptable is quite something too.

Login to get fewer ads

Norwich City Women FC on 12:58 - May 22 with 4391 viewsNthQldITFC

That 'to feed the homeless people' bit is absolutely classic Partridge as you say. Cringe.

Is it just me, or is there a whinging thread about Tyrone Mings on there every time I pop in for a shufti? It's really weird, he left us years and years ago. Mings seems to be their version of Bristol City's Ashton obsession.

They really do seem to be down in the dumps at the moment don't they? I suppose they've got good reason.
[Post edited 22 May 2023 13:06]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Norwich City Women FC on 13:00 - May 22 with 4359 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Bizzare is the right word for it.

He is absolutely entitled to his opinion on women's football, but its so bizarre how any man who doesn't like women's football, feels like they really need to let you know they don't like women's football. Let alone one in a position of power at a football club that has a women's team

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Norwich City Women FC on 13:02 - May 22 with 4342 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Clearly on his way out but what a bizarre, career limiting, thing to say.
Norwich City Women FC on 13:08 - May 22 with 4275 viewsBondiBlue

Norwich City Women FC on 12:40 - May 22 by Pinewoodblue

If they can’t really afford the resources needed to run the women’s team they are in Dire straits financially.

Parachute payments end after the upcoming season. Promotion or bust!

Money for nothing

Poll: Which would you accept?

Norwich City Women FC on 13:08 - May 22 with 4266 viewsMetal_Hacker

Clearly upsetting a few and rustling some feathers (excuse the pun) before he seemingly / obviously leaves

Seems he's constructing his own dismissal which is a shame - would like to see him stick around a little longer

Poll: If it were one or the other

Norwich City Women FC on 13:10 - May 22 with 4256 viewsSE1blue

Norwich City Women FC on 13:08 - May 22 by BondiBlue

Money for nothing

Most of their fans are brothers (and sisters) in arms.

Norwich City Women FC on 13:10 - May 22 with 4256 viewsxrayspecs

How can the Sporting Director only just discover they have a women's team? It is on their website and front page today as they won a county cup final. I find that hard to believe.

What should be unacceptable to the NCFC Board is that SW is a senior executive at NCFC and as such needs to represent all aspects of their business.

It is almost as though he is talking himself into a compromise agreement. Leeds apparently keen on him.
Norwich City Women FC on 13:10 - May 22 with 4235 viewsclive_baker

Norwich City Women FC on 13:08 - May 22 by Metal_Hacker

Clearly upsetting a few and rustling some feathers (excuse the pun) before he seemingly / obviously leaves

Seems he's constructing his own dismissal which is a shame - would like to see him stick around a little longer

FOUR MORE YEARS!

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Norwich City Women FC on 13:11 - May 22 with 4222 viewsIllinoisblue

Norwich City Women FC on 12:58 - May 22 by NthQldITFC

That 'to feed the homeless people' bit is absolutely classic Partridge as you say. Cringe.

Is it just me, or is there a whinging thread about Tyrone Mings on there every time I pop in for a shufti? It's really weird, he left us years and years ago. Mings seems to be their version of Bristol City's Ashton obsession.

They really do seem to be down in the dumps at the moment don't they? I suppose they've got good reason.
[Post edited 22 May 2023 13:06]

And only two of his three trips into the city centre were to feed the homeless. Presumably the other trip was to save kids from a burning orphanage.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Norwich City Women FC on 13:11 - May 22 with 4218 viewsHerbivore

Partridge meets David Brent at the end there. What a massive whopper he comes across as.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Norwich City Women FC on 13:12 - May 22 with 4197 viewsMattinLondon

It reads like a very insensitive ‘pay-me-off’ rant. Pick on an aspect of the club that hits the target but which a lot of people aren’t that concerned with.

I feel sorry for their women’s team who will be extremely angry with his words.

Also, the city centre (taking away anything to do with the club) is really quite nice. Baffled that someone like him hasn’t been there more than twice. Especially as their ground is quite near to it.
Norwich City Women FC on 13:20 - May 22 with 4100 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Norwich City Women FC on 12:45 - May 22 by SE1blue

If he’s still in the same role by the start of the season, I’d be amazed. Seems like he’s on a mission to self-implode. These quotes from the Athletic show how utterly clueless he is at (being a human) connecting with the public…

Let's hope he is though he's doing such good work

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Norwich City Women FC on 13:24 - May 22 with 4074 viewsfranz_tyson

Norwich City Women FC on 13:12 - May 22 by MattinLondon

It reads like a very insensitive ‘pay-me-off’ rant. Pick on an aspect of the club that hits the target but which a lot of people aren’t that concerned with.

I feel sorry for their women’s team who will be extremely angry with his words.

Also, the city centre (taking away anything to do with the club) is really quite nice. Baffled that someone like him hasn’t been there more than twice. Especially as their ground is quite near to it.

That what it sounds like to me - trying to make his stay there untenable until they push him out with a sizeable pay-off.
He must realise he's pissing people off - surely he's not that stupid.

Strangely, I was on board with his not liking women's football and the attitude you should be ok with it. Quite honest, in fact. For many, there's zero or little interest. If everybody online who supports our women football actually went to watch the games they'd get thousands instead of a few hundred.
Norwich City Women FC on 13:33 - May 22 with 3973 viewsitfcjoe

Norwich City Women FC on 13:11 - May 22 by Illinoisblue

And only two of his three trips into the city centre were to feed the homeless. Presumably the other trip was to save kids from a burning orphanage.

No, the third trip was to ensure that he had solved the homelessness issue in the city in his previous visits

Norwich City Women FC on 13:37 - May 22 with 3935 viewsSteve_M

Norwich City Women FC on 13:11 - May 22 by Illinoisblue

That or to commence work on it's pedestrianisation.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Norwich City Women FC on 13:41 - May 22 with 3900 viewsitfcjoe

Norwich City Women FC on 13:24 - May 22 by franz_tyson

That what it sounds like to me - trying to make his stay there untenable until they push him out with a sizeable pay-off.
He must realise he's pissing people off - surely he's not that stupid.

Strangely, I was on board with his not liking women's football and the attitude you should be ok with it. Quite honest, in fact. For many, there's zero or little interest. If everybody online who supports our women football actually went to watch the games they'd get thousands instead of a few hundred.

But there is a difference between franz-tyson saying it on TWTD and the Sporting Director of one of the 25(?) biggest clubs in the country saying it.

Any decent communicator can accentuate the positives of the fastest growing sport in the country, how it can be important for their future, how they aim to help grow it etc wihtout going - I like Flo and she seems to like it so I'll help, but I think the product is rubbish so won't be bothering with it myself. How do you think that makes all those trying so hard, mostly for free (inclduign all the players) feel about that? There are so many campaigns to help push it, and the very least the fans of Norwich City should expect is for the main man at their club to at least be able to toe what should be the company line

Listen to how Mark Ashton, or Kieran McKenna talk about it - always with the greatest respect - do we think KM is sitting there watching WSL games in the evening? Probably not but he shows Joe Sheehan, his staff, the players and the club respect.

Hell, if we had someone as good as Lauren Hemp come through our club, Mark Ashton would have her here walking round PR with the Euros trophy as a triumphant Lioness.

It's sad, and people need to separate the "that is his opinion and who cares" view from "he is representing a big club and it simply isn't good enough"

Norwich City Women FC on 13:58 - May 22 with 3612 viewsyorkshireblue

Norwich City Women FC on 13:41 - May 22 by itfcjoe

But there is a difference between franz-tyson saying it on TWTD and the Sporting Director of one of the 25(?) biggest clubs in the country saying it.

Any decent communicator can accentuate the positives of the fastest growing sport in the country, how it can be important for their future, how they aim to help grow it etc wihtout going - I like Flo and she seems to like it so I'll help, but I think the product is rubbish so won't be bothering with it myself. How do you think that makes all those trying so hard, mostly for free (inclduign all the players) feel about that? There are so many campaigns to help push it, and the very least the fans of Norwich City should expect is for the main man at their club to at least be able to toe what should be the company line

Listen to how Mark Ashton, or Kieran McKenna talk about it - always with the greatest respect - do we think KM is sitting there watching WSL games in the evening? Probably not but he shows Joe Sheehan, his staff, the players and the club respect.

Hell, if we had someone as good as Lauren Hemp come through our club, Mark Ashton would have her here walking round PR with the Euros trophy as a triumphant Lioness.

It's sad, and people need to separate the "that is his opinion and who cares" view from "he is representing a big club and it simply isn't good enough"

Very much this. My job is nowhere near as high profile as his, but I work somewhere you all would have heard of and plenty of you will be customers. If I said something publically that devalued one of our offerings I would be out of the door.

Another thing that jumps out of the whole interview, is that he said that Norwich didn't expect to win games before he joined (and claims credit for that)... didn't they finish 7th or something and just miss out on the play-offs that year?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024