Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Toxic lefty-ism 18:13 - Nov 26 with 16514 viewsNeedhamChris

Really starting to find a number of people whose views I should align with (both on here and offline) to be quite alienating.

When it comes to people on here who are more openly left wing vs those that are right wing - the majority of the abuse, snobbery and entrenchment in views seems to come from this group. This doesn't seem to match up with the virtues that are supposedly at the centre of their politics. Whereas whilst I often disagree with some of what I read from the likes of GB and Lowhouse, their arguments are politely put forward and explained rationally and are a much more enjoyable conversation than those that I would agree with.

Why is this? I find it to be quite unedifying and the more I see of it - the more I feel like the left isn't for me. If I (as a Green party member) find it unappealing, where does that leave those minds we're supposed to be trying to change?

Poll: Who will Kieran McKenna be managing on 1st August 2024

Toxic lefty-ism on 12:02 - Nov 27 with 2387 viewsNthQldITFC

Toxic lefty-ism on 11:23 - Nov 27 by Ewan_Oozami

No "hard defensive shell"?

You're obviously not a Samsonite then?

No, and not a Delia-ite either. hic!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Toxic lefty-ism on 12:14 - Nov 27 with 2361 viewsLeaky

Politics are like wing nuts you have a left wing you have right wing the thing they have in common they are all nuts!
Toxic lefty-ism on 12:38 - Nov 27 with 2311 viewsitfcjoe

On the relative extremes, where people seem to go quickly now, either you agree with absolutely everything the rest of the 'tribe' thinks, or you are not welcome to be part of it.

It's not possible to agree with some people on certain things, and others on other things - that makes you disgusting to both sides so it becomes easier just to nod along

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Toxic lefty-ism on 12:44 - Nov 27 with 2291 viewsmrshallisfit

I think Brexit has a lot to answer for here. A pretty large proportion of Brexiteers voted that way with poor/pretty moronic reasons for wanting to leave. We are now reaping the "benefits" of leaving and not surprisingly anyone who voted to remain are pointing the finger of blame for at least part of our current predicament on brexiteer voters.
Toxic lefty-ism on 12:45 - Nov 27 with 2281 viewsGlasgowBlue

Toxic lefty-ism on 11:02 - Nov 27 by SuperKieranMcKenna

“For example, occasionally Hazzer 10 would make an interesting point”

I must have missed that….

He gave out very good diet advice.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Toxic lefty-ism on 12:51 - Nov 27 with 2257 viewsblueasfook

Toxic lefty-ism on 11:02 - Nov 27 by SuperKieranMcKenna

“For example, occasionally Hazzer 10 would make an interesting point”

I must have missed that….

What happened to Harry10? Did he finally go too far with the Boris fat-shaming?

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Toxic lefty-ism on 12:59 - Nov 27 with 2227 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Toxic lefty-ism on 12:51 - Nov 27 by blueasfook

What happened to Harry10? Did he finally go too far with the Boris fat-shaming?

Not seen since ‘Brand-gate’., not sure if he slunk off, or Uncle Phil gave him the boot. Now presumably spreading his hate somewhere else in the darkest corners of the internet, (or WOTB as it’s also known).
Toxic lefty-ism on 13:54 - Nov 27 with 2150 viewsRyorry

Toxic lefty-ism on 11:23 - Nov 27 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Quite possibly the most toxic poster on here - last seen ‘sl*t shaming’ Russell Brand’s alleged victims. That as well as racist comments about Badenoch, jokes about the blind, fat shaming - he was the epitome of illiberal.

He could certainly be appalling, but he really wasn’t the worst.

Not everything is seen by everyone.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Toxic lefty-ism on 14:54 - Nov 27 with 2082 viewsBuhrer

"Where does it leave those minds we're supposed to be trying to change?"

[Post edited 27 Nov 2023 14:54]
Just "LordSnooty" left I think Phil.... on 15:09 - Nov 27 with 2037 viewsBloots

Toxic lefty-ism on 10:00 - Nov 27 by PhilTWTD

Not pointing fingers in any particular direction - although left wing seems, judging by a poster the other day, to mean for some people anyone to the left of Nigel Farage at present and I'm not sure anyone posts from a particularly extreme left position - but I do think there needs to be a politer, less accusatory tone towards debate on here. I am spending a fair amount of time dealing with complaints and concerns re comments posters have made on here at the moment.

Having said that, if people are spouting risible nonsense which they're unable to back up - which has been a long-term complaint regarding those posting more extreme Internet-echo-chamber-sourced views - then it's perhaps not entirely surprising that they face some mockery. However, I do think it's a more helpful strategy to challenge and debate.

Also don't think it's entirely helpful for posters to have sock puppet accounts which they have dug out for the purposes of voting, so I'll remove those that I can easily identify.

This post has been edited by an administrator

....then that's all of the current crop gone.

Cheers.

Officer Dibble.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Toxic lefty-ism on 15:28 - Nov 27 with 1996 viewsLord_Lucan

Pretty much the reason why I tend to stay away these days.

Good job I hear you all say.

Same thing happens with our “Lads” WhatsApp group - the more left wing the less tolerant.

Bunch of arse.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Toxic lefty-ism on 15:47 - Nov 27 with 1952 viewsgordon

For info, my views are generally left-wing and I'm unfailingly polite on here and just have a quiet chuckle and go off and do something else when I see views that I disagree with / find odious / ridiculous etc.
Toxic lefty-ism on 16:10 - Nov 27 with 1911 viewsDubtractor

Toxic lefty-ism on 15:47 - Nov 27 by gordon

For info, my views are generally left-wing and I'm unfailingly polite on here and just have a quiet chuckle and go off and do something else when I see views that I disagree with / find odious / ridiculous etc.

Your approach is pretty much the exact same as me Gordon.

Personally think it is a pretty sound approach.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Toxic lefty-ism on 16:11 - Nov 27 with 1905 viewsElephantintheRoom

Is it an age-related thing? Most of the amusing/annoying lefties on here seem midway between play group and primary school in their intellectual thinking. I blame the guardian for not pricing them out of their ‘opinions’.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Toxic lefty-ism on 16:12 - Nov 27 with 1895 viewsbluelagos

Toxic lefty-ism on 16:10 - Nov 27 by Dubtractor

I try and be polite but don't always succeed. Defo can be quite blunt at times - hands up on that one.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Toxic lefty-ism on 16:23 - Nov 27 with 1847 viewsDubtractor

Toxic lefty-ism on 16:12 - Nov 27 by bluelagos

I try and be polite but don't always succeed. Defo can be quite blunt at times - hands up on that one.

I get why people get a bit more blunt, but I work on the assumption that I'm not going to be changing someone's objectionable views, and arguing with strangers on the Internet is a pretty pointless exercise.

Fwiw I'm more likely to be combative about irrational football posts.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Toxic lefty-ism on 16:35 - Nov 27 with 1792 viewsblueasfook

Toxic lefty-ism on 16:11 - Nov 27 by ElephantintheRoom

Is it an age-related thing? Most of the amusing/annoying lefties on here seem midway between play group and primary school in their intellectual thinking. I blame the guardian for not pricing them out of their ‘opinions’.

Posts like this is why I love Elephant.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Toxic lefty-ism on 16:46 - Nov 27 with 1743 viewsBlueschev

That's the spirit!
Toxic lefty-ism on 16:50 - Nov 27 with 1720 viewsMattinLondon

The flip side to your argument is that a lot of the older righties seem to be suffering from the perils of old age and forgetting to take their medication.
Toxic lefty-ism on 17:32 - Nov 27 with 1615 viewsgordon

Toxic lefty-ism on 16:23 - Nov 27 by Dubtractor

I get why people get a bit more blunt, but I work on the assumption that I'm not going to be changing someone's objectionable views, and arguing with strangers on the Internet is a pretty pointless exercise.

Fwiw I'm more likely to be combative about irrational football posts.

Yeah me too, I still have fairly strong views about a lot of political stuff but don't see what I might gain by having an argument with a stranger on the internet. But I'd get really annoyed with incorrect opinions on the football, particularly during the Evans era. Now everything is going so well I hardly ever need to post anything!
Toxic lefty-ism on 18:16 - Nov 27 with 1507 viewsMullet

Toxic lefty-ism on 16:10 - Nov 27 by Dubtractor

No it isn't.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:17 - Nov 27 with 1598 viewschicoazul

OP you are if I may respectfully say, conflating right wing and left wing with being self righteous.
The only viewpoint put across by the majority of whom you speak - not all but the majority - is to be seen as correct, as the inherent virtue of a left wing ideology is “we are correct”. There can be no argument with this, as they represent The Ideology, and The Ideology cannot be seen as being incorrect. This may remind you of the way a certain country was run before it collapsed in on itself, who can say.
The highest profile proponent of this is James O’Brien, if you disagree with him you are either right wing or if you approach his views with a left wing critique a useful idiot. There is no third way or compromise.
This is why so many of them seem rude or off putting to you. This is because you seem to them as stupid as you disagree with The Ideology. And The Ideology is faultless so who could argue with it? And by extension them?
When they aim their bile at me which is often I like to think it’s because they agree with me but can’t bring themselves to admit it which, of course, would be a betrayal of The Ideology.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:20 - Nov 27 with 1562 viewsMullet

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:17 - Nov 27 by chicoazul

OP you are if I may respectfully say, conflating right wing and left wing with being self righteous.
The only viewpoint put across by the majority of whom you speak - not all but the majority - is to be seen as correct, as the inherent virtue of a left wing ideology is “we are correct”. There can be no argument with this, as they represent The Ideology, and The Ideology cannot be seen as being incorrect. This may remind you of the way a certain country was run before it collapsed in on itself, who can say.
The highest profile proponent of this is James O’Brien, if you disagree with him you are either right wing or if you approach his views with a left wing critique a useful idiot. There is no third way or compromise.
This is why so many of them seem rude or off putting to you. This is because you seem to them as stupid as you disagree with The Ideology. And The Ideology is faultless so who could argue with it? And by extension them?
When they aim their bile at me which is often I like to think it’s because they agree with me but can’t bring themselves to admit it which, of course, would be a betrayal of The Ideology.

PARKLIFE!

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:20 - Nov 27 with 1562 viewsDubtractor

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:16 - Nov 27 by Mullet

No it isn't.

Shush you.

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:22 - Nov 27 with 1732 viewsMullet

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:20 - Nov 27 by Dubtractor

Shush you.

See? Unwarranted aggression and bile from our resident Jive Bunny.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024