Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Proud to be English 20:31 - Jul 8 with 7259 viewsCaptainAhab

Honestly not something I've ever written before, but in the aftermath of last night I've been feeling quite emotional... I shed a tear or two after the game, this morning after someone posted the Mason Mount video and just now after seeing the video of the Muslim scholars.
Then I saw this post by a random commenter, which summed it up so perfectly, which helped me to understand quite why I'm feeling this way. This is beautiful:

This team of young men: young men who campaign to feed poor children, who kneel against racism, who stand up for lgbtq+ rights, some whose parents or grandparents came to this country as immigrants, some who came from broken homes, some who fought against unfair criticism for their place in the team... this team of young men, who support each other and strive for the success of THEIR TEAM rather than for individual glory... this team of young men, and their strong, supportive, intelligent, compassionate manager, have inspired and impressed and earned the respect of every one of us, and they have unified us at a time of great division.
I am so overwhelmed by their attitude, professionalism and love for the game. This team of young men will go down in history as the pride of England, regardless of Sunday's outcome. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿❤🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Proud to be English on 20:39 - Jul 8 with 2768 viewsN2_Blue

I know they are at least a lot more likeable than the so fabled golden generation who delivered precisely feck all.

I couldn't support England with John Terry in the team...nasty piece of work he was.
Steven Gerrard clearly had a bit of thuggish side to him and Wayne Rooney wasn't exactly a role model.

This lot seem like a breath of fresh air in comparison....and i'm delighted to see they have already achieved more.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Proud to be English on 20:46 - Jul 8 with 2730 viewsLord_Lucan

Proud to be English on 20:39 - Jul 8 by N2_Blue

I know they are at least a lot more likeable than the so fabled golden generation who delivered precisely feck all.

I couldn't support England with John Terry in the team...nasty piece of work he was.
Steven Gerrard clearly had a bit of thuggish side to him and Wayne Rooney wasn't exactly a role model.

This lot seem like a breath of fresh air in comparison....and i'm delighted to see they have already achieved more.

I was talking about the game with Betty next door earlier. She doesn't watch football but enjoyed the game last night and asked a few daft old women things.

To explain things I found myself saying that the difference at the moment is that we have no Big Time Charlies and that it seems there are no internal "Groups" which you used to get with the Liverpool / Man U lot.

We really do seem to be quite something and I think it simply has to be credit to Gareth and his background staff.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Proud to be English on 20:47 - Jul 8 with 2714 viewsBlueBadger

You'll regret saying this when they turn us into a communist state by kneeling.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2021 22:45]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Proud to be English on 20:54 - Jul 8 with 2680 viewsSwansea_Blue

Proud to be English on 20:47 - Jul 8 by BlueBadger

You'll regret saying this when they turn us into a communist state by kneeling.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2021 22:45]

It's all gone a bit quiet on booing the team hasn't it?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Proud to be English on 20:55 - Jul 8 with 2676 viewsBlueBadger

Proud to be English on 20:54 - Jul 8 by Swansea_Blue

It's all gone a bit quiet on booing the team hasn't it?

Oh, they'll be back it by the time WC build up starts.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Proud to be English on 20:58 - Jul 8 with 2669 viewsjeera

Cracking squad and as you say a fine example as a collective with some outstanding individuals amongst them too.

The downside of bigging them up too much is of course as soon as any of them slip up and make a human error in real life, elements of society, and at least certainly our media, will be all over them like a rash.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Proud to be English on 21:15 - Jul 8 with 2626 viewshomer_123

Proud to be English on 20:58 - Jul 8 by jeera

Cracking squad and as you say a fine example as a collective with some outstanding individuals amongst them too.

The downside of bigging them up too much is of course as soon as any of them slip up and make a human error in real life, elements of society, and at least certainly our media, will be all over them like a rash.

Never! Won't happen in this country.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Proud to be English on 21:47 - Jul 8 with 2545 viewsTractorWood

Good seeing all these great players as pundits who didn't get close to anything being schooled by a bunch of teenagers on tiktok.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Login to get fewer ads

Proud to be English on 22:07 - Jul 8 with 2501 viewsskinnybob72

I'm Scottish but echo the sentiment about Southgate and the squad - it's actually quite difficult to dislike them! Couldn't stand the likes of Terry, Gerrard, and others but the current squad generally seem quite likeable. Apart from their tendency to fall over....
Proud to be English on 22:10 - Jul 8 with 2477 viewsLord_Lucan

Proud to be English on 22:07 - Jul 8 by skinnybob72

I'm Scottish but echo the sentiment about Southgate and the squad - it's actually quite difficult to dislike them! Couldn't stand the likes of Terry, Gerrard, and others but the current squad generally seem quite likeable. Apart from their tendency to fall over....

Feck right of Sweaty

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Proud to be English on 22:11 - Jul 8 with 2469 viewsjeera

Proud to be English on 22:10 - Jul 8 by Lord_Lucan

Feck right of Sweaty

That's the spirit.

Proud to be English on 22:24 - Jul 8 with 2426 viewsHARRY10

Booing the Danish national anthem, booing the players kneeling, shining a lazer at Schmeichels face, supporting a government who cut free school meals and will cut UC in the autumn, attacked the police after the game, mocked an 8 year old girl for crying...............or are they not 'English' ?
Proud to be English on 22:26 - Jul 8 with 2418 viewsOldboy

Fantastic post, all very true, apart from the last 4 words.
Proud to be English on 22:33 - Jul 8 with 2387 viewsjeera

Proud to be English on 22:24 - Jul 8 by HARRY10

Booing the Danish national anthem, booing the players kneeling, shining a lazer at Schmeichels face, supporting a government who cut free school meals and will cut UC in the autumn, attacked the police after the game, mocked an 8 year old girl for crying...............or are they not 'English' ?

That's a minority of twots though.

I'm English and don't do any of those things.

Can't we just disown the scumbags rather than put ourselves down because of them?

Proud to be English on 23:55 - Jul 8 with 2291 viewsChurchman

Proud to be English on 22:24 - Jul 8 by HARRY10

Yes, they are English. But they don’t define the English any more than neo nazis in Germany define Germans. They are a minority. A stupid minority. The majority are decent people who want their team to do well.

In a democracy, if you want to bleat on about out numskull politicians, an idiot with a laser pen a % of muppets that boo anthems, you can. But they don’t represent us. That football team does. They don’t engage in the way one of the Italian players did today, yet they answer press questions and do what’s required of them. There’s no dentists chair etc.

This team are a credit to the game, themselves and football supporters who at a national level have not seen anything like it for 55 years. If you are English, enjoy it. If you are Scottish, you’d better buy yet another shirt. At least the Azzurri one is a nice colour.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2021 23:58]
Proud to be English on 00:23 - Jul 9 with 2233 viewsRyorry

Beaut words indeed, so I think the author deserves credit by name - if you can find him/her? - rather than than only being known as "random commenter".

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Proud to be English on 07:56 - Jul 9 with 2114 viewsCaptainAhab

Proud to be English on 00:23 - Jul 9 by Ryorry

Beaut words indeed, so I think the author deserves credit by name - if you can find him/her? - rather than than only being known as "random commenter".

Yes, fair point, not intended to be disrespectful. The poster is Pat Woodger, it was posted in the comments underneath Billy Bragg's post sharing the video of the celebrating scholars. It summed up how I was feeling far more eloquently than anything I could write, or have seen written elsewhere.

In response to HARRY10, yes it is a real shame that England is continually tarnished by these so called fans, and for me yesterday morning a bit of the gloss was taken off the win when I realised the Danes and most of the rest of Europe don't see any good in England, just the "dive" of Sterling, the booing of the fans, the laser pointer etc. But as Churchman points out, that is not what we are, and not what this England team are. We should all be proud of them and hopefully perceptions will begin to change elsewhere like they have here.

*Edited to say Churchman not Ryorry
[Post edited 9 Jul 2021 8:01]
Proud to be English on 09:18 - Jul 9 with 2026 viewsBLUEBEAT

“We wouldn’t have this England team without ethnic diversity and immigration” is a dangerous path, like lots of supposedly anti racist tropes – what about teams that are *more* ethnically homogenous and do very well or better today – like the Danish side which very nearly beat us? What about the fact that England’s winning side from the 1966 World Cup was all white? Shall we attribute their success to race as well? To *lack* of immigration and ethnic diversity? >>> NO <<< Take a materialist view, not a racial one: the countries that do well have a decent footballing culture and infrastructure that nurtures and rewards players. It really is that simple.

Stop automatically referring to black English players as “immigrants” – by assuming that black people are not ‘as English as white people’ to score some weak point against an imaginary right-wing opponent you have actually supported the worst kind of racial nationalism you would see from the NF or BNP. Admittedly, one player was not born here, but the rest were; born in England = English. Again: it really is that simple.

Please try and enjoy this wonderful period of national unity, hope and joy unreservedly – no ifs, no buts. Just drink it in and grin.

Poll: W or W

Proud to be English on 11:00 - Jul 9 with 1972 viewsMoriarty

Proud to be English on 23:55 - Jul 8 by Churchman

Yes, they are English. But they don’t define the English any more than neo nazis in Germany define Germans. They are a minority. A stupid minority. The majority are decent people who want their team to do well.

In a democracy, if you want to bleat on about out numskull politicians, an idiot with a laser pen a % of muppets that boo anthems, you can. But they don’t represent us. That football team does. They don’t engage in the way one of the Italian players did today, yet they answer press questions and do what’s required of them. There’s no dentists chair etc.

This team are a credit to the game, themselves and football supporters who at a national level have not seen anything like it for 55 years. If you are English, enjoy it. If you are Scottish, you’d better buy yet another shirt. At least the Azzurri one is a nice colour.
[Post edited 8 Jul 2021 23:58]

In 1995, England came to Dublin to play a friendly. Big Jack was Ireland's manager. The game was abandoned after Ireland took the lead as English fans went on the rampage. Funny enough, one of the images from that night was a young child, this time a young boy, looking on in fear and shock at the mayhem being caused by English thugs unfolded. Big Jack was furious and was having a right go himself at those English fans.

That night saw the great and the ugly of England and English football collide on Irish soil. Big Jack, revered here, a sporting legend and thoroughly decent guy vs the cowardly thugs who also hailed from his shores. And it wasn't a minority of those supporters who indulged in the mayhem.

No question England has many honourable men and women, decent, upright, proud of a really likeable bunch of players and manager who have every chance of winning on Sunday. They are the polar opposite of those that can instantly quell an inclination to hope England win, such as elements of the English media , public figures like Priti Patel , some of the supporters and others, so bereft of integrity and decency. But then again, isn't if fair to say no nation can always offer clean hands?

There was a little clip doing some rounds here of a few exuberant (and harmless) English fans asking a few locals here how to sing "It's coming home" in Irish and then a few minutes later they're singing "Tiocfaidh ar la" with great gusto, pints aloft, English shirts on. IF only they knew.

Whatever will be sung on Sunday night as Monday, (and possibly your bonus bank holiday, draw near) one hopes that the decency prevails and that those who represent all that is right about England and English sport and football, will be the ones we can remember and that it is they who are at the forefront on Sunday.

fka omuircheartaigh

Proud to be English on 13:43 - Jul 9 with 1857 viewsChrisd

I'm sure I read somewhere (and correct me if I'm wrong) that if England win Euro 2020 the FA will get around £25m in prize money, £9.5m goes to players and staff, however the England squad have already decided if they do win on Sunday, they are going to donate their winnings to the NHS. An extremely classy touch.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Proud to be English on 14:08 - Jul 9 with 1802 viewsgiant_stow

Proud to be English on 11:00 - Jul 9 by Moriarty

In 1995, England came to Dublin to play a friendly. Big Jack was Ireland's manager. The game was abandoned after Ireland took the lead as English fans went on the rampage. Funny enough, one of the images from that night was a young child, this time a young boy, looking on in fear and shock at the mayhem being caused by English thugs unfolded. Big Jack was furious and was having a right go himself at those English fans.

That night saw the great and the ugly of England and English football collide on Irish soil. Big Jack, revered here, a sporting legend and thoroughly decent guy vs the cowardly thugs who also hailed from his shores. And it wasn't a minority of those supporters who indulged in the mayhem.

No question England has many honourable men and women, decent, upright, proud of a really likeable bunch of players and manager who have every chance of winning on Sunday. They are the polar opposite of those that can instantly quell an inclination to hope England win, such as elements of the English media , public figures like Priti Patel , some of the supporters and others, so bereft of integrity and decency. But then again, isn't if fair to say no nation can always offer clean hands?

There was a little clip doing some rounds here of a few exuberant (and harmless) English fans asking a few locals here how to sing "It's coming home" in Irish and then a few minutes later they're singing "Tiocfaidh ar la" with great gusto, pints aloft, English shirts on. IF only they knew.

Whatever will be sung on Sunday night as Monday, (and possibly your bonus bank holiday, draw near) one hopes that the decency prevails and that those who represent all that is right about England and English sport and football, will be the ones we can remember and that it is they who are at the forefront on Sunday.

Was this 'but' necessary?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Proud to be English on 14:44 - Jul 9 with 1753 viewsChurchman

Proud to be English on 11:00 - Jul 9 by Moriarty

So you are using an event from 26 years ago to define all English people. An event that believe it or not made big news at the time here too and nobody was cheering from the rooftops about it. ‘No question England has many honourable men and women’ is up there with ‘I don’t mean to be rude’ as a little caveat. Getting English people, guests in your country spending money, to sing a pro IRA song? That’s nice. Glad you found it funny. Did they manage to get them to put a donation in the hat too?

I’ve no doubt you will stick to your stereotypical view of the English and in a free speaking country that’s your entitlement. I’m sure you can find plenty of examples to label all 50m people and fuel your prejudices. It’s 331 years since the Battle of the Boyne. You can start there if you like. It’s up to you.

I chose not to label peoples of other countries in that way.

You can pick up an Italian shirt for about £75 by the way.
Proud to be English on 14:52 - Jul 9 with 1729 viewschicoazul

Proud to be English on 14:08 - Jul 9 by giant_stow

Was this 'but' necessary?

For the Irish? Always. Nobody hates the English the way they do.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Proud to be English on 14:53 - Jul 9 with 1726 viewsEwan_Oozami

Proud to be English on 14:44 - Jul 9 by Churchman

So you are using an event from 26 years ago to define all English people. An event that believe it or not made big news at the time here too and nobody was cheering from the rooftops about it. ‘No question England has many honourable men and women’ is up there with ‘I don’t mean to be rude’ as a little caveat. Getting English people, guests in your country spending money, to sing a pro IRA song? That’s nice. Glad you found it funny. Did they manage to get them to put a donation in the hat too?

I’ve no doubt you will stick to your stereotypical view of the English and in a free speaking country that’s your entitlement. I’m sure you can find plenty of examples to label all 50m people and fuel your prejudices. It’s 331 years since the Battle of the Boyne. You can start there if you like. It’s up to you.

Suspect you need to read up a little bit further on Irish history and their relationship with England.....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Proud to be English on 14:55 - Jul 9 with 1718 viewschicoazul

Proud to be English on 14:44 - Jul 9 by Churchman

I bet it was a Leprechaun hat.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024