Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? 12:50 - Dec 13 with 32730 viewschicoazul

I say 30 years as it would include the alternative guys that came out of the mid 80s as well as the guys who were established then for e.g. Bernard Manning, Chubby Brown etc

For me it's tough but i would say Harry Enfield is consistently funny, has his finger on the pulse, is a good actor and Ruddy Hell It's Harry and Paul is the best comedy programme in ages.

In before Theresa May, David Cameron etc

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 14:49 - Dec 13 with 7073 viewsGeoffSentence

Roy Chubby Brown

Both hilarious and a fantastic singer

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 15:26 - Dec 13 with 7042 viewsSuperblue95

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:09 - Dec 13 by wallyvincent

Even in his later years no one better than Dave Allen.
Peter Kay of the modern era.

Peter Kay is about as funny as having warts

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 18:10 - Dec 13 with 6980 viewscaught-in-limbo

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 15:26 - Dec 13 by Superblue95

I'm pretty sure it's not PK's own work, but I love this:

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 18:28 - Dec 13 with 6984 viewsconnorscontract

What does greatest mean?

Most influential? Probably Armando Iannucci. Maybe followed by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant for redefining the mockumentary, which is the dominant genre to emerge in the period.

Most popular? Billy Connolly usually wins the "Favourite Comedian" polls. Arguments for Michael McIntyre and Peter Kay though, in terms of tickets sold and TV ratings.

Most respected by comedians? Daniel Kitson. By a mile. If you can get to Battersea Arts Centre to see his latest show, in the New Year, do so. The man is a genius. Storytelling which re-enchants the everyday and mundane. A secular prophet. He creates beauty. And is funny. And when he does stand-up: filthy rude. He won the Perrier and then resisted every overture TV made towards him. He sells all his shows by emailing his private email lists himself.

Then would come Stewart Lee. TWTD had done him to death. Perish the thought that I would endlessly repeat stuff about Stewart Lee, again and again and again. Not least because you probably wouldn't get it, sat at home, reading it on your computer. They get it, but you don't. I don't even want you to know who I think is the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years, but someone told you "Read what he thinks. He thinks good things." So you did. But you don't even understand them*.

Then possibly Alex Horne. It's great that Taskmaster has become a massive success, but comedians were queueing up to do his stage show equivalent at the Edinburgh Festival years before he finally had it optioned for TV.

There are loads of brilliant comedians out there now. Go and see them live, everyone.

* You'll either get this or you won't. I don't care**.

** I'm doing it again! Basically repeating the same joke! Write and complain to The Daily Mail if you don't like it. See if I care!***

*** Repeats
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 18:37 - Dec 13 with 6970 viewsconnorscontract

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 18:28 - Dec 13 by connorscontract

What does greatest mean?

Most influential? Probably Armando Iannucci. Maybe followed by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant for redefining the mockumentary, which is the dominant genre to emerge in the period.

Most popular? Billy Connolly usually wins the "Favourite Comedian" polls. Arguments for Michael McIntyre and Peter Kay though, in terms of tickets sold and TV ratings.

Most respected by comedians? Daniel Kitson. By a mile. If you can get to Battersea Arts Centre to see his latest show, in the New Year, do so. The man is a genius. Storytelling which re-enchants the everyday and mundane. A secular prophet. He creates beauty. And is funny. And when he does stand-up: filthy rude. He won the Perrier and then resisted every overture TV made towards him. He sells all his shows by emailing his private email lists himself.

Then would come Stewart Lee. TWTD had done him to death. Perish the thought that I would endlessly repeat stuff about Stewart Lee, again and again and again. Not least because you probably wouldn't get it, sat at home, reading it on your computer. They get it, but you don't. I don't even want you to know who I think is the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years, but someone told you "Read what he thinks. He thinks good things." So you did. But you don't even understand them*.

Then possibly Alex Horne. It's great that Taskmaster has become a massive success, but comedians were queueing up to do his stage show equivalent at the Edinburgh Festival years before he finally had it optioned for TV.

There are loads of brilliant comedians out there now. Go and see them live, everyone.

** I'm doing it again! Basically repeating the same joke! Write and complain to The Daily Mail if you don't like it. See if I care!***

*** Repeats

And female?

Most popular: Victoria Wood, followed by Dawn French.

Most influential: probably French and Saunders, if you were to talk to a lot of female comedians they will reference them, and their influence can be seen on a lot of circuit sketch comedy.

Most respected by comedians: Josie Long is loved and cherished on the circuit. Jo Caulfield is a key figure and bridges generational divides. Her website is extraordinarily generous in the help and advice it offers to newer comedians. That's a rarity. Shappi Khorsandi gets a lot of love, too.
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 19:10 - Dec 13 with 6959 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Standup comedians, , Frankie Boyle, Al Murray, Mickey Flanagan........Jim Davidson was brilliant back in the day, appreciate he,s not exactly everyones cup of tea though.
Harry Enfield/Paul Whitehouse, Reeves/Mortimer as double acts.
Panel show comedians, Lee Mack, Hugh Dennis, Sean Lock.
Steve Coogan in Partridge, Rowan Atkinson in Blackadder.
All the above have me in stitches. All brilliant at their particular comedic specialities.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 19:30 - Dec 13 with 6942 viewsjontysnut

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 19:10 - Dec 13 by StochesStotasBlewe

Standup comedians, , Frankie Boyle, Al Murray, Mickey Flanagan........Jim Davidson was brilliant back in the day, appreciate he,s not exactly everyones cup of tea though.
All the above have me in stitches. All brilliant at their particular comedic specialities.

Not that I particularly liked him but interesting to see that Lee Hurst has gone from gurning panel show fodder to pro brexit anti Islam figure of some derision.
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 19:51 - Dec 13 with 6931 viewsgordon

Paul Merton at his very best, for me.

Then what about this:

And this is just about perfect:

Login to get fewer ads

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 20:10 - Dec 13 with 6911 viewsPecker

Bob Mortimer. The guy his hilarious.
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 20:19 - Dec 13 with 6895 viewsBluefish

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 20:10 - Dec 13 by Pecker

Bob Mortimer. The guy his hilarious.

Fair play to him though, he hides it well

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 20:24 - Dec 13 with 6893 viewsPecker

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 20:19 - Dec 13 by Bluefish

Fair play to him though, he hides it well

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 20:25 - Dec 13 with 6889 viewscaught-in-limbo

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 14:42 - Dec 13 by Darth_Koont

In terms of impact and influence (not just in the UK either):

Ricky Gervais
Steve Coogan
Armando Iannucci
Chris Morris
Simon Pegg/Nick Frost

And all brilliant at their best.

Rowan Atkinson should probably be on there too but I see him more as the Benny Hill comedy export over the past few decades and more popular in countries that still laugh at people falling over.

That's a great list.

I'd replace Rowan Atkinson with Eddie Izzard for the reasons you've given.

EDIT: Just seen some recent stuff from Izzard... scrub that, put in Enfield and Whitehouse.
[Post edited 13 Dec 2018 20:43]

#toxic

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 20:45 - Dec 13 with 6865 viewscaught-in-limbo

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 18:37 - Dec 13 by connorscontract

And female?

Most influential: probably French and Saunders, if you were to talk to a lot of female comedians they will reference them, and their influence can be seen on a lot of circuit sketch comedy.

Most respected by comedians: Josie Long is loved and cherished on the circuit. Jo Caulfield is a key figure and bridges generational divides. Her website is extraordinarily generous in the help and advice it offers to newer comedians. That's a rarity. Shappi Khorsandi gets a lot of love, too.

Caroline Ahern!

#toxic

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 20:55 - Dec 13 with 6856 viewsSuperfrans

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:20 - Dec 13 by footers

Seconded. Also Iannucci.

The worst is McIntyre.

Ianucci is an absolute genius, birth as performer, writer and director.

When you think he has been the creative force behind his own shows, as well as On The Hour, Alan Partridge, Thick Of It, in The Loop, Veep, Death Of Stalin - quite remarkable. When cultural historians look back at this period, he’ll be right at the top of the tree.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 20:57 - Dec 13 with 6853 viewsSuperfrans

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 18:28 - Dec 13 by connorscontract

What does greatest mean?

*** Repeats

We clearly have very similar tastes. Agree totally on Ianucci, Kitson and Stew. All brilliant and so far ahead of the field right now.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 21:01 - Dec 13 with 6847 viewsfooters

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 20:55 - Dec 13 by Superfrans

Ianucci is an absolute genius, birth as performer, writer and director.

When you think he has been the creative force behind his own shows, as well as On The Hour, Alan Partridge, Thick Of It, in The Loop, Veep, Death Of Stalin - quite remarkable. When cultural historians look back at this period, he’ll be right at the top of the tree.

I'm also gonna put Graham Linehan in there too. Almost slipped my mind. Amazing writer, lives in Norwich, I think.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 21:05 - Dec 13 with 6839 viewsKeno

Derek and Clive deserve a mention for delivering the best line in British comedy ever

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 21:07 - Dec 13 with 6839 viewsLord_Lucan

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 19:10 - Dec 13 by StochesStotasBlewe

I agree with most of your picks but for stand up it has to be Jethro

I can't stand Vic Reeves, he is a nasty little man.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 21:17 - Dec 13 with 6826 viewsjeera

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 18:37 - Dec 13 by connorscontract

And female?

Them women comedians. They don't even bother to call them comediennes anymore do they.

Who'd have thought?

I've liked the little I've seen of Josie Long, as I've said before.

I also quite like Mae Martin.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 21:18 - Dec 13 with 6825 viewsPJH

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 21:05 - Dec 13 by Keno

Derek and Clive deserve a mention for delivering the best line in British comedy ever

They delivered lots of great lines(as did Pete and Dud)but I think I know the one that you mean.
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 21:31 - Dec 13 with 6813 viewsSuperblue95

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 21:17 - Dec 13 by jeera

Them women comedians. They don't even bother to call them comediennes anymore do they.

Who'd have thought?

I've never been big on women comedians but I've found Kerry Godliman to be very funny and likeable on the things I've seen her on.

Jo Brand worth a mention too

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 21:47 - Dec 13 with 6791 viewsLord_Lucan

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 21:17 - Dec 13 by jeera

Who'd have thought?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

on 21:48 - Dec 13 with 6788 views_

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:02 - Dec 13 by JakeITFC

Chris Morris.

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 22:07 - Dec 13 with 6771 viewsMelford

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 20:45 - Dec 13 by caught-in-limbo

Caroline Ahern!

Jo Brand.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 22:09 - Dec 13 with 6769 viewssundaze

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 15:26 - Dec 13 by Superblue95

There's a hell of a lot of people who think otherwise.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024