Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? 12:50 - Dec 13 with 32697 viewschicoazul

I say 30 years as it would include the alternative guys that came out of the mid 80s as well as the guys who were established then for e.g. Bernard Manning, Chubby Brown etc

For me it's tough but i would say Harry Enfield is consistently funny, has his finger on the pulse, is a good actor and Ruddy Hell It's Harry and Paul is the best comedy programme in ages.

In before Theresa May, David Cameron etc

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:53 - Dec 13 with 13062 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Bob Mortimer!! Cracks me up.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:55 - Dec 13 with 13061 viewsKeno

Barry Cryer

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:55 - Dec 13 with 13057 viewsIllinoisblue

Frankie Boyle

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:56 - Dec 13 with 13053 viewsBluefish

I make you right

But what about Corbyn?

On a serious note that was very good and Harry Enfield is a genius for me. He was hilarious when I was growing up and then as I got older I realised how spot on he was with so many of his observations

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:56 - Dec 13 with 13056 viewsSuperblue95

May not be a popular choice as he has offended god knows how many people, but Frankie Boyle at his best is just down right hilarious

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:57 - Dec 13 with 13051 viewsSuperblue95

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:55 - Dec 13 by Illinoisblue

Frankie Boyle

Balls. Beat me to it

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:59 - Dec 13 with 13042 viewschicoazul

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:55 - Dec 13 by Illinoisblue

Frankie Boyle

He did a joke once about the resemblance between Russell Howard and Baby P which still makes me laugh.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:59 - Dec 13 with 13033 viewsPinewoodblue

Frankie Boyle

Think there a few comedy characters on here worthy of consideration.would agree with your choice, or perhaps David Jason.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:00 - Dec 13 with 13025 viewschicoazul

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 12:56 - Dec 13 by Bluefish

I make you right

But what about Corbyn?

On a serious note that was very good and Harry Enfield is a genius for me. He was hilarious when I was growing up and then as I got older I realised how spot on he was with so many of his observations

He's an authentic genius. Enfield, not Corbyn.

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:02 - Dec 13 with 13015 viewsJakeITFC

Chris Morris.
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:04 - Dec 13 with 13003 viewschicoazul

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:02 - Dec 13 by JakeITFC

Chris Morris.

Hmmmm. I grow more convinced that his success was due to the writers he worked with, not him. He hasnt done anything for years whereas Peter Baynham for e.g. has worked non-stop.

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:09 - Dec 13 with 12982 viewswallyvincent

Even in his later years no one better than Dave Allen.
Peter Kay of the modern era.

“....he’s a young tearaway by the name of Wally Vincent” - DCI Frank Haskins, Metropolitan Police Flying Squad 1975

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:13 - Dec 13 with 12972 viewsElephantintheRoom

For sheer dead pan comedy it must be Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:16 - Dec 13 with 12961 viewsJimmyJazz

Jack Dee

I think Harry Enfield lets himself down with his acting - that first season of Men Behaving Badly when he was in it was hopeless

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:17 - Dec 13 with 12955 views26_Paz

Big fan of Chubby, Bernard Manning, Jim Davidson etc. Character wise has to be David Brent or Borat

The Paz Man

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:20 - Dec 13 with 12937 viewsfooters

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:02 - Dec 13 by JakeITFC

Chris Morris.

Seconded. Also Iannucci.

The worst is McIntyre.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:21 - Dec 13 with 12929 viewsBrixtonBlue

Rowan Atkinson.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:30 - Dec 13 with 12898 viewsPJH

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:09 - Dec 13 by wallyvincent

Even in his later years no one better than Dave Allen.
Peter Kay of the modern era.

Dave Allen was great in my opinion.

Him and/or John Cleese would get my vote.

Don't suppose Tony Hancock qualifies?
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:30 - Dec 13 with 12898 viewsericclacton

Paul Hurst.

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:49 - Dec 13 with 12831 viewsGuthrum

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:21 - Dec 13 by BrixtonBlue

Rowan Atkinson.

I was going to say Richard Curtis, but a lot of his best work (IMO) does not fall within the last 30 years.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 14:21 - Dec 13 with 12769 viewsEwan_Oozami

These guys absolutely kill me:

And this still leaves me helpless:

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 14:30 - Dec 13 with 12749 viewschicoazul

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 14:21 - Dec 13 by Ewan_Oozami

These guys absolutely kill me:

And this still leaves me helpless:

2nd clip there is every TWTD thread on Brexit since 2015.

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 14:39 - Dec 13 with 12716 viewsDebsyAngel

Rik Mayall, Ben Elton and more recently Rhod Gilbert are the ones I find funniest!
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 14:40 - Dec 13 with 12715 viewsjontysnut

Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 13:30 - Dec 13 by PJH

Dave Allen was great in my opinion.

Him and/or John Cleese would get my vote.

Don't suppose Tony Hancock qualifies?

Hancock still repeated on the radio and I think Galston and Simpson are still an influence on modern writers. Otherwise endorse Ianucci or Caroline Aherne worth a shout.
Who's the greatest British comedy figure of the last 30 years? on 14:42 - Dec 13 with 12707 viewsDarth_Koont

In terms of impact and influence (not just in the UK either):

Ricky Gervais
Steve Coogan
Armando Iannucci
Chris Morris
Simon Pegg/Nick Frost

And all brilliant at their best.

Rowan Atkinson should probably be on there too but I see him more as the Benny Hill comedy export over the past few decades and more popular in countries that still laugh at people falling over.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024