Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist 21:13 - Aug 13 with 48770 viewshatch

Not impressed from our fans.
Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 12:40 - Aug 14 with 5681 viewsfooters

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 12:38 - Aug 14 by TRUE_BLUE123

I still have no proof

You have no proof the other way either, yet you still saw fit to call someone else a liar.

Why? One can only assume...

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 12:44 - Aug 14 with 5652 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 12:40 - Aug 14 by footers

You have no proof the other way either, yet you still saw fit to call someone else a liar.

Why? One can only assume...

You can't prove a negative. Its hard for me to prove something didn't happen. I did say fair enough and say that it is out of order if it did happen. Interested if anyone else heard this chant.

I will apologise if you really want me to.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 12:55 - Aug 14 with 5615 viewsfooters

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 12:44 - Aug 14 by TRUE_BLUE123

You can't prove a negative. Its hard for me to prove something didn't happen. I did say fair enough and say that it is out of order if it did happen. Interested if anyone else heard this chant.

I will apologise if you really want me to.

See, that's much fairer. You didn't hear it but someone else did. Not fair to say something didn't happen when you don't know, innit.

Think it's important to air these sort of things. Half the National Front was recruited on the terraces. It can't be tolerated and thankfully most Town fans seem to agree.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 13:06 - Aug 14 with 5587 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 12:55 - Aug 14 by footers

See, that's much fairer. You didn't hear it but someone else did. Not fair to say something didn't happen when you don't know, innit.

Think it's important to air these sort of things. Half the National Front was recruited on the terraces. It can't be tolerated and thankfully most Town fans seem to agree.

Well I agree with you there. I am all for funny chanting and somethings are really close to the mark but can be quite funny at the same time. However, some of the chants last night were very poor and the fans in question should be ashamed of themselves.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 13:07 - Aug 14 with 5589 viewsSimonds92

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 11:31 - Aug 14 by loyalfan

I agree. I stood right behind the “lads”who were singing and all those around me wondered why the Police-who were right by these “fans”- did nothing. We wondered whether just a word of caution might have been in order.

Possibly the same ones that were doing gear in the pub before the Burton game*. I thought that was just a Millwall thing! Can't understand why you would want to do that before a game.

*Disclaimer there is also a chance that they were all really struggling with hayfever but there was an awful lot of snorting.
Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 13:11 - Aug 14 with 5576 viewsDowson

Sitting on the fence on this - I think we live in a time where people have a different threshold for what's offensive and what's not (which is totally fine).

I'm almost certain they didn't mean to upset anyone with their chants, more likely "having a bit of banter" playing on the fact Luton is stereo-typically very diverse (obviously not an excuse for racist language, but it can be argued nothing said here was on it's own racist). Unfortunately some people will take offense as they will believe it's aimed in a negative/malicious way.

It was clearly poorly judged and it would be fine if these jokes were kept within the 'friendship group'. I believe its not meant in a malicious way and the language wasn't bad, but these people need to accept we live in a word less tolerant of these kind of chants. So doing it within the ear shot of 1000's of people where a percentage are clearly going to take offense isn't very clever.

Just take some of the chants i've heard a few years ago when we played Brighton "We can see you holding hands" . Can't imagine this being sung these days, albeit less than a decade later, but again I never felt it was in a malicious way, just isn't nice for people who maybe see the offensive side to these issues and rightly this wouldn't be tolerated now.

We're all different! For example I enjoy Jimmy Carr and his horrendously offensive jokes, while others will cringe at them. But one things for sure, I dont start repeating his jokes in front of people I don't know in case they don't have the same innocent humour I have and take it negatively. Think it's the same sort of thing here...
[Post edited 14 Aug 2019 13:13]
Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 13:23 - Aug 14 with 5534 viewsSteve_M

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 13:11 - Aug 14 by Dowson

Sitting on the fence on this - I think we live in a time where people have a different threshold for what's offensive and what's not (which is totally fine).

I'm almost certain they didn't mean to upset anyone with their chants, more likely "having a bit of banter" playing on the fact Luton is stereo-typically very diverse (obviously not an excuse for racist language, but it can be argued nothing said here was on it's own racist). Unfortunately some people will take offense as they will believe it's aimed in a negative/malicious way.

It was clearly poorly judged and it would be fine if these jokes were kept within the 'friendship group'. I believe its not meant in a malicious way and the language wasn't bad, but these people need to accept we live in a word less tolerant of these kind of chants. So doing it within the ear shot of 1000's of people where a percentage are clearly going to take offense isn't very clever.

Just take some of the chants i've heard a few years ago when we played Brighton "We can see you holding hands" . Can't imagine this being sung these days, albeit less than a decade later, but again I never felt it was in a malicious way, just isn't nice for people who maybe see the offensive side to these issues and rightly this wouldn't be tolerated now.

We're all different! For example I enjoy Jimmy Carr and his horrendously offensive jokes, while others will cringe at them. But one things for sure, I dont start repeating his jokes in front of people I don't know in case they don't have the same innocent humour I have and take it negatively. Think it's the same sort of thing here...
[Post edited 14 Aug 2019 13:13]

The willingness of some fans to make excuses for others behaviour is a concern. Yeah, quite sure those chanting thought it was bantz but it's still racism. There is no other explanation for "England and you fked it up" is there?

I'm quite prepared to believe that some joined in without really thinking about what they were singing but it needs to be called out so those people learn and that others, at the very least, realise that such sentiments are not acceptable.

And it really isn't about people being looking to take offence, rather having the common decency and imagination not to judge people solely on race, religion or sexual orientation.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 13:32 - Aug 14 with 5518 viewshatch

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 13:23 - Aug 14 by Steve_M

The willingness of some fans to make excuses for others behaviour is a concern. Yeah, quite sure those chanting thought it was bantz but it's still racism. There is no other explanation for "England and you fked it up" is there?

I'm quite prepared to believe that some joined in without really thinking about what they were singing but it needs to be called out so those people learn and that others, at the very least, realise that such sentiments are not acceptable.

And it really isn't about people being looking to take offence, rather having the common decency and imagination not to judge people solely on race, religion or sexual orientation.

Not commented much on this thread since the start but this is effectively my view. When walking away from the ground with the Coventry fan and Stoke fan I took I was saying that it was a disappointment. But in the joy of chanting many fans just singalong regardless to the content before realising what they’re singing. I’ll admit that I even joined in the first chant before stopping halfway through when I realised what was being implied.

It’s good to see the majority on here agree with that. It’s not that I have even taken offence personally, but like your last paragraph has said it’s about some level of common decency. Speaking out on this forum hopefully prevents re-occurrence and prevents our fantastic fan base (that has been subject to praise in all forms of media and from fellow fans in the past year) from having their image tarnished.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2019 14:03]
Login to get fewer ads

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 13:59 - Aug 14 with 5464 viewsandyjr

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 13:32 - Aug 14 by hatch

Not commented much on this thread since the start but this is effectively my view. When walking away from the ground with the Coventry fan and Stoke fan I took I was saying that it was a disappointment. But in the joy of chanting many fans just singalong regardless to the content before realising what they’re singing. I’ll admit that I even joined in the first chant before stopping halfway through when I realised what was being implied.

It’s good to see the majority on here agree with that. It’s not that I have even taken offence personally, but like your last paragraph has said it’s about some level of common decency. Speaking out on this forum hopefully prevents re-occurrence and prevents our fantastic fan base (that has been subject to praise in all forms of media and from fellow fans in the past year) from having their image tarnished.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2019 14:03]

Bang on.

Poll: What is your all time favourite ITFC shirt sponsor?

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 14:29 - Aug 14 with 5412 viewsitfcjoe

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 13:07 - Aug 14 by Simonds92

Possibly the same ones that were doing gear in the pub before the Burton game*. I thought that was just a Millwall thing! Can't understand why you would want to do that before a game.

*Disclaimer there is also a chance that they were all really struggling with hayfever but there was an awful lot of snorting.

When Mick was in charge it was more understandable

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 14:31 - Aug 14 with 5409 viewschicoazul

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 13:07 - Aug 14 by Simonds92

this can't be right. I get told all the time on here drugs are only a bit of fun and the people using them are all nice middle-class sorts who knit yoghurt.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 14:31 - Aug 14 with 5407 viewsDowson

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 13:23 - Aug 14 by Steve_M

I'm hardly making excuses, just calling it how I see it. My point was I don't think it was done in a malicious way but obviously for some (including yourself) it has been taken in that way.

If you read my post i say it was poorly judged and that 'jokes' like this should made privately between their own group and not chanted at a football ground. I'm just trying to say I don't think it was purposely said to offend anyone.
Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 14:38 - Aug 14 with 5383 viewsSteve_M

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 14:31 - Aug 14 by Dowson

I'm hardly making excuses, just calling it how I see it. My point was I don't think it was done in a malicious way but obviously for some (including yourself) it has been taken in that way.

If you read my post i say it was poorly judged and that 'jokes' like this should made privately between their own group and not chanted at a football ground. I'm just trying to say I don't think it was purposely said to offend anyone.

You are missing one crucial point: racism as bantz is still racism though. The intent really doesn't matter.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 14:53 - Aug 14 with 5335 viewsGeoffSentence

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 07:25 - Aug 14 by BryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

He did have a very large body paired with a tiny head.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 15:05 - Aug 14 with 5298 viewsDowson

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 14:38 - Aug 14 by Steve_M

You are missing one crucial point: racism as bantz is still racism though. The intent really doesn't matter.

And I never said it wasn't =)
Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 15:58 - Aug 14 with 5218 viewspennblue

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 14:38 - Aug 14 by Steve_M

People obviously feel Towns like Luton have lost their identity, that is the underlying sentiment, whether it is 'bantz' or not.

The trouble is, an adult discussion about immigration, and the lack of control of it, in towns like Luton, and the subsequent problems this causes, is never possible, because people jump on the political correctness band wagon, rather than discussing the real underlying issues, which are the same underlying issues as to why we are leaving the EU.

Is it to do with 'identity'? is it that people feel they are losing control of their towns/environments? Is it that people want to talk to someone about Only Fools and Horses, and they understand what they are talking about? What is it precisely? I think to brand everything as racism is trivialising the matter.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 16:00 - Aug 14 with 5215 viewsMullet

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 15:58 - Aug 14 by pennblue

People obviously feel Towns like Luton have lost their identity, that is the underlying sentiment, whether it is 'bantz' or not.

The trouble is, an adult discussion about immigration, and the lack of control of it, in towns like Luton, and the subsequent problems this causes, is never possible, because people jump on the political correctness band wagon, rather than discussing the real underlying issues, which are the same underlying issues as to why we are leaving the EU.

Is it to do with 'identity'? is it that people feel they are losing control of their towns/environments? Is it that people want to talk to someone about Only Fools and Horses, and they understand what they are talking about? What is it precisely? I think to brand everything as racism is trivialising the matter.

What lack of controls on immigration have led to towns like Luton losing its identity?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 16:05 - Aug 14 with 5199 viewstabletopjoe

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 16:00 - Aug 14 by Mullet

What lack of controls on immigration have led to towns like Luton losing its identity?

Luton is now a non-white majority town.

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 16:14 - Aug 14 with 5182 viewsMullet

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 16:05 - Aug 14 by tabletopjoe

https://www.luton.gov.uk/Environment/Lists/LutonDocuments/PDF/Planning/Observato

Biggest group of immigrants = Polish
Population by %: White = 65%, Black = 10%, Asian = 25%

Interestingly the Asian population is just over 10% more likely to be in benefits or measured as deprived in some way than the white population, but the numbers are far lower.

I might have misread their data, study and the like though.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 16:15 - Aug 14 with 5172 viewsSwailsey

Non-white?!!

Jesus Christ. Who even thinks about these things.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 16:15 - Aug 14 with 5167 viewschicoazul

Completely wrong.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 16:17 - Aug 14 with 5164 viewschicoazul

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 16:15 - Aug 14 by Swailsey

Non-white?!!

Well, to be fair, many people do.

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 16:29 - Aug 14 with 5135 viewsxrayspecs

Our fans were hardly having an adult conversation about immigration?
Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 16:32 - Aug 14 with 5129 viewstabletopjoe

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 16:15 - Aug 14 by Swailsey

Non-white?!!

People who make the law.

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

Very EDL chanting tonight, verging on racist on 16:40 - Aug 14 with 5107 viewsm14_blue

Oh yeah, those lads last night definitely wanted to have an adult, detailed discussion about the root cause of identity loss in towns like Luton.

It’s definitely the politically correct anti racists that are the problem, not the people singing the racist songs.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024