Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? 20:37 - Jul 13 with 4758 viewshomer_123

What's the concensus?

Our new owners have made it clear they want out of this division and the signs are Cook is being backed in the transfer market, which is great.

But...do we think Cook will last if things don't happen on the pitch?

Just wondering what people think will happen.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 22:52 - Jul 13 with 1390 viewsOriginalMarkyP

I think on balance yes. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Personally if the team look good and the football is good I'd prefer us to give him more time, but i think his performance last season scuppered that.

I think this is going to be a very, very tough league to get out of this season, even if we get ALL the players we've been linked with. No HMS Pisstheleague 100pts 100goals that's for sure.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 22:58 - Jul 13 with 1370 viewsBlueBadger

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 21:39 - Jul 13 by Garv

"Anything but promotion is failure" is back then.

Sigh.

You were quite happy with failure when Lambert was in charge, in all fairness.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 23:06 - Jul 13 with 1359 viewsDBlues

It depends on how we finish the season I think.
If we're comfortably in the play-offs / just missing out on automatic promotion (i.e. Burley) then I think he will be safe.

If we spend most of the season around or just outside the play offs and just get in then it would depend on the play off performances and probably be safe but would be under pressure at the start of next season.

If were around the play-offs / automatic then the last 10 games have a finish like we did this season then there will be questions asked.
Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 23:11 - Jul 13 with 1350 viewsHARRY10

Depends who is decding.

For my part it would be silly, as we would be back to days of Evans, where every focus was on the first team to to hell with the rest. Leading to virtually no long term planning or commitment. Something the new owners are having to budget for.

I would suggest Cook will be judged on the overall performance. While only a few of the exeptionally deluded imagine we are going to run away with the title, there cannot be any sign of the abysmal performances of the previous seasons.

We need to judge ourselves against ourselves. Supporters will know how much has improved on the pitch, and the owners will also know how much has been improved off the pitch.

It is to an extent out of our hands. We cannot know how much Sunderlands new owners will be putting in moneywise, nor perhaps any other club. And I don't think the levels of investment we are getting are at the levels some first thought either.

So a promotion or sack position is rather a silly idea. The club will know if Cook is moving the club in the right direction, and if not then he will go. Those will be targets set on a more frequent and wider ranging basis than simply promotion.

Evans dug us in to a very deep hole. That is going to take a fair bit (of time) to climb out of.

One step at a time.
Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 06:19 - Jul 14 with 1274 viewsBryanPlug

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 21:48 - Jul 13 by SomethingBlue

No promotion and he'll be gone.

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 07:34 - Jul 14 with 1242 viewsjonbull88

For me with the overhaul he’s got to have 2 summer windows minimum. So no not for me. If we’re bottom 10 maybe, but if we show promise but don’t go up he should rightfully get a second full season.
Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 07:53 - Jul 14 with 1232 viewsxrayspecs

Not necessarily. If PC Lamberts the season then yes, if he Burleys it (play-offs, there or thereabouts), then he will be given time.
Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 08:20 - Jul 14 with 1205 viewssolomon

I think he’ll get us up next season, only just mind you. New owners and more investment isn’t a given for promotion. Cautious optimism at this point for me, so no I think he’ll be here for a while unless something drastic goes wrong.
Login to get fewer ads

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 08:28 - Jul 14 with 1191 viewsVic

The owners haven’t said that so far so I guess it’s a no.

My take is that not to get into the POs will be failure and he’ll be gone. A consistent place in the PO places, but failure in the knockouts at the end will probably see him get another go at it.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 09:04 - Jul 14 with 1166 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Unless we finish really close to automatics and then lose in play offs, then yes it's promotion or bust. If we run close they might give him another season.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 09:07 - Jul 14 with 1162 viewswkj

If Cook somehow fails to get us promoted this season, he will have to be extremely convincing in the campaign to keep his job.

I'm rooting for him, and think he will get us over the line. A lot of people talk of him coming in and instigating a slump - but really all you have to do is look at the teams where our players out have joined to know he was working with players who couldn't sustain fitness over an L1 season.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 09:09 - Jul 14 with 1157 viewstimothyeo

I mean, 90% of this forum felt it was promotion or sack for Lambert (which it ultimately was) and rightly so.

Why some now think Cook shouldn't be given the same circumstances despite having the biggest budget in the league and improved infrastructure all around him...all I can say is these people have no right to criticise Evans for his past lack of ambition...
Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 09:15 - Jul 14 with 1145 viewschrismakin

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 09:09 - Jul 14 by timothyeo

I mean, 90% of this forum felt it was promotion or sack for Lambert (which it ultimately was) and rightly so.

Why some now think Cook shouldn't be given the same circumstances despite having the biggest budget in the league and improved infrastructure all around him...all I can say is these people have no right to criticise Evans for his past lack of ambition...

We dont have the biggest budget

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 09:20 - Jul 14 with 1136 viewsSouperJim

Top 6 for me. I can't believe Ashton and the owners would fund and facilitate such a massive overhaul of the squad and then bin the manager at the end of the season if we're not better than 22 other teams.

As blown away by our recruitment as I am so far, it'll take time to get a tune out of a totally new squad. If we're hit and miss for the first half of the season, then power on and get in the play-offs, Cook will have earned another shot for me.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 09:21 - Jul 14 with 1134 viewsTomTheWriter

Paul Cook should only be sacked if we fail to make the play offs again.

Maybe, if the owners are feeling frisky, if we don’t get top 4 or something.

However, if we miss out on automatic promotion by 1 point, losing only twice all season by the top 2 each won only 1 game more, and then we lose in the play-off final because of a dodgy red card, you can’t sack Cook for that.

There is no ‘promotion or gone,’ Blackpool and Oxford both were bottom four in November, both reached play-offs.

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 09:27 - Jul 14 with 1122 viewsNazemariner

The new owners and CEO are experienced campaigners, and as such are fully aware that a rebuild of this kind is unlikely to see a promotion campaign in its first season. The fans will undoubtedly be calling for his head if we finish 9th, because as Leicester Square has highlighted, the average football fan is an idiot. However, the powers that be will give cook a second season to prove his worth.
Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 09:41 - Jul 14 with 1106 viewsjayessess

Of course it is!

I'm astonished that after all the talk of "standards", "tolerance of failure" and criticism of our previous squad's "acceptance of mediocrity", so many on here are prepared to set the bar so low.

Blackpool and Peterborough won promotion out of this division last season, with far less than the resources at Cook's disposal, the former with massive player turnover. Surely matching that is the standard?
[Post edited 14 Jul 2021 9:45]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 09:46 - Jul 14 with 1103 viewsitfcjoe

I doubt it is quite that clear cut - but if he isn't there or thereabouts then he won't make it until the end of the season.

But there are ways to not go up which would make sacking the wrong decision - i.e. look at Blackpool this year - very slow start then absolutely fly second half of the season and finish 3rd. Had they lost the play off final then it's still a season with huge progress

If we have a season like 19/20 when fly out of the traps then sh*t the bed, and even if we had managed to scrape into play offs then lose it gives a very different viewpoint.

So will never be that simple, but will be clear which way it is going once we get to about Xmas - hopefully streaking away with the title!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 09:56 - Jul 14 with 1067 viewsmylittletown

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 23:11 - Jul 13 by HARRY10

Depends who is decding.

For my part it would be silly, as we would be back to days of Evans, where every focus was on the first team to to hell with the rest. Leading to virtually no long term planning or commitment. Something the new owners are having to budget for.

I would suggest Cook will be judged on the overall performance. While only a few of the exeptionally deluded imagine we are going to run away with the title, there cannot be any sign of the abysmal performances of the previous seasons.

We need to judge ourselves against ourselves. Supporters will know how much has improved on the pitch, and the owners will also know how much has been improved off the pitch.

It is to an extent out of our hands. We cannot know how much Sunderlands new owners will be putting in moneywise, nor perhaps any other club. And I don't think the levels of investment we are getting are at the levels some first thought either.

So a promotion or sack position is rather a silly idea. The club will know if Cook is moving the club in the right direction, and if not then he will go. Those will be targets set on a more frequent and wider ranging basis than simply promotion.

Evans dug us in to a very deep hole. That is going to take a fair bit (of time) to climb out of.

One step at a time.

Never sure how much part money plays in these matters. Some part obviously.

Mark Ashton, (and various managers), didn't manage to get Bristol City promoted from the Championship despite spending huge amounts of Steve Lansdown's money.
Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 10:01 - Jul 14 with 1054 viewsjayessess

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 23:11 - Jul 13 by HARRY10

Depends who is decding.

One step at a time.

Evans was quite big on manager continuity though?

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 10:22 - Jul 14 with 1033 viewsRobTheMonk

I think unless we're comfortably top 6 come Christmas, he'll be on thin ice...

We've signed some decent players though, so top 6 should be well within reach for Christmas.
Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 15:37 - Jul 14 with 929 viewsHARRY10

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 09:04 - Jul 14 by JammyDodgerrr

Unless we finish really close to automatics and then lose in play offs, then yes it's promotion or bust. If we run close they might give him another season.

So does the new manager get given the resources for another complete overhaul of the squad ?

If Cook goes, then would that mean the backroom staff he brought in as well ?

Whereas I think the owners will take a balanced view of where we are, and what progress has been made and move from there - rather than take some arbitrary, knee jerk response.
Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 15:44 - Jul 14 with 922 viewsjayessess

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 15:37 - Jul 14 by HARRY10

So does the new manager get given the resources for another complete overhaul of the squad ?

If Cook goes, then would that mean the backroom staff he brought in as well ?

Whereas I think the owners will take a balanced view of where we are, and what progress has been made and move from there - rather than take some arbitrary, knee jerk response.

The balanced view is that a team with one of the largest budgets in the division should be competing at the top of the league, isn't it?

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 17:24 - Jul 14 with 885 viewsHARRY10

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 15:44 - Jul 14 by jayessess

The balanced view is that a team with one of the largest budgets in the division should be competing at the top of the league, isn't it?

The word wass promotion, not "competing at the top of the league"

(try to keep up)
Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 17:28 - Jul 14 with 881 viewsjayessess

Is it promotion or the sack for Cook this season? on 17:24 - Jul 14 by HARRY10

The word wass promotion, not "competing at the top of the league"

(try to keep up)

The post you were responding to said "Unless we finish really close to automatics and then lose in play offs".

(try to keep up)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024