Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2021 World Chess Championship 13:30 - Nov 25 with 3884 viewsStokieBlue

I know that chess isn't for everyone but for those that like it the first world championship in 3 years starts tomorrow.

It's Carlson vs Nepomniachtchi and below is the 538's take on the match:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/as-chess-booms-magnus-carlsen-returns-to-de

Chess has experienced a boom during the pandemic seeing a surge in popularity in both playing and watching tournaments. This has been helped by the rapid format being the preferred format for online tournaments where each player gets 15 minutes or less for their moves. The prize money has also increased with it's popularity, the winner of the world championship will take home 1.2m USD.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

2021 World Chess Championship on 13:42 - Nov 25 with 2492 viewswkj

I lost interest in chess when Kasparov beat Deep Blue in the return grudge match.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

2021 World Chess Championship on 13:48 - Nov 25 with 2480 viewsjeera

2021 World Chess Championship on 13:42 - Nov 25 by wkj

I lost interest in chess when Kasparov beat Deep Blue in the return grudge match.

I used to play a bit when I was younger and among my group of friends I was the one to beat.

They'd obsessively line-up to have a shot but mostly I kept them all at bay.

Then one of them got locked up for a little while and someone bought him a computer chess game. He played on it day and night the whole time he was in there and when he was released came straight round to my place and gave me a hiding.

Freak.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

"Give me an N......" (n/t) on 13:52 - Nov 25 with 2469 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

"Give me an N......" (n/t) on 13:55 - Nov 25 with 2446 viewsOldboy

"Give me an N......" (n/t) on 13:52 - Nov 25 by Bloots

Nanas. Overrated?
N (n/t) on 13:55 - Nov 25 with 2446 viewsSitfcB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

2021 World Chess Championship on 13:56 - Nov 25 with 2438 viewschicoazul

Deep Blue lads ran those Ruskie mugs out of their own pub at Kasparov Away in 96.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2021 13:56]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

"Give me an N......" (n/t) on 13:56 - Nov 25 with 2432 viewsjeera

I'm supporting the other guy.

It's easier.

2021 World Chess Championship on 14:12 - Nov 25 with 2413 viewsjeera

Decided over 14 games, each of which can run up to 3 hours 15 minutes.

If I read that correctly.

That's some haul.

https://fideworldchampionship.com/games/

Login to get fewer ads

"Give me an N......" (n/t) on 14:35 - Nov 25 with 2380 viewsKeno

"Give me an N......" (n/t) on 13:56 - Nov 25 by jeera

I'm supporting the other guy.

It's easier.

thats reminds me of the Ally McCoist story as to when asked why he supported Rangers simpley replied

"F4ck the Pope is a lot easier to say than "F4ck the Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland"

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

"Give me an N......" (n/t) on 14:37 - Nov 25 with 2374 viewsEwan_Oozami

"Give me an N......" (n/t) on 13:55 - Nov 25 by Oldboy

Nanas. Overrated?

Careful, that's a slippery slope....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

2021 World Chess Championship on 14:37 - Nov 25 with 2373 viewsnodge_blue

I joined chess.com during the pandemic and played hundreds of games against people around the world. I even started to study the Sicilian opening in quite alot of depth lol.

Go up to about 1350 as a ranking - but then it got too hard!

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

2021 World Chess Championship on 14:54 - Nov 25 with 2347 viewshomer_123

On a related note, The Queens Gambit on Netflix is def worth a watch.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

2021 World Chess Championship on 19:28 - Nov 25 with 2249 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Chess is genius.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

2021 World Chess Championship on 19:42 - Nov 25 with 2235 viewsLord_Lucan

I lost interest when RKD beat me when he was 7

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

2021 World Chess Championship on 20:05 - Nov 25 with 2204 viewseireblue

Was that the one where he used a baseball bat.
2021 World Chess Championship on 20:07 - Nov 25 with 2197 viewsjontysnut

I played a bit at school and then I saw some Russian bloke play 35 people at a time and thought what's the point.
2021 World Chess Championship on 09:23 - Dec 7 with 2024 viewsStokieBlue

Been quite interesting so far. It's game 9 of 14 today and Carlson goes into it with a 2 game lead after winning games 6 and 8 (both with white). Game 6 was the longest ever world championship match (nearly 8 hours) and took it's toll on Nepo I think.

It's good there are some decisive results though rather than 14 draws and then Carlson battering him at rapid or blitz.

Anyone else been taking an interest? The English GM David Howells is superb on the commentary.

SB

2021 World Chess Championship on 09:37 - Dec 7 with 1992 viewsthebooks

2021 World Chess Championship on 09:23 - Dec 7 by StokieBlue

Been quite interesting so far. It's game 9 of 14 today and Carlson goes into it with a 2 game lead after winning games 6 and 8 (both with white). Game 6 was the longest ever world championship match (nearly 8 hours) and took it's toll on Nepo I think.

It's good there are some decisive results though rather than 14 draws and then Carlson battering him at rapid or blitz.

Anyone else been taking an interest? The English GM David Howells is superb on the commentary.

SB

Yeah, I’ve been following vicariously through the Guardian’s website. I’m not any good at chess (and I really wish I was; I tried a little at chess.com in lockdown), but I love the game and it’s oddly exciting following via text commentary. The analysis afterwards makes some kind of sense to me.

It sounds like Nepomniachtchi just cracked because of time limits while Carlsen was able to keep it together.
2021 World Chess Championship on 09:40 - Dec 7 with 1986 viewsStokieBlue

2021 World Chess Championship on 09:37 - Dec 7 by thebooks

Yeah, I’ve been following vicariously through the Guardian’s website. I’m not any good at chess (and I really wish I was; I tried a little at chess.com in lockdown), but I love the game and it’s oddly exciting following via text commentary. The analysis afterwards makes some kind of sense to me.

It sounds like Nepomniachtchi just cracked because of time limits while Carlsen was able to keep it together.

Carlsen is the master of rapid chess and endgames so that situation plays into his hands.

If you like the analysis but don't have much time then this guy is good:

If you want something on in the background then David Howells on here does a great job of explaining the position and potential moves live during the match. It's a proper show run out of Norway with presenters etc:

SB

2021 World Chess Championship on 12:09 - Dec 7 with 1933 viewsRobTheMonk

I watched the Bobby Fischer film the other day after Match of The Day.

Troubled man but an absolute chess prodigy.
2021 World Chess Championship on 15:54 - Dec 10 with 1827 viewsStokieBlue

Carlsen has retained the world championship with a pretty crushing victory over Nepo winning 4 games which hasn't happened for 40 years or so.

It seems that after game 6 which was the longest ever world championship match and which Carlsen won he totally gained the upper hand over Nepo.

SB

2021 World Chess Championship on 16:31 - Dec 10 with 1783 viewsKropotkin123

I'm subscribed to a couple of Chess channels on YouTube - Hikaru and Eric Rosen. I sometimes watch Nemo and GothamChess too. Enjoy the Low ELO Legends content from GothamChess, as, even though they are worse than my 1k rating, I see my poor development and rash moves in them.

Hikaru is genuinely a top level player, often top 5 in bullet and blitz. So pretty amazing that he puts out content like he does.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

2021 World Chess Championship on 16:35 - Dec 10 with 1778 viewsStokieBlue

2021 World Chess Championship on 16:31 - Dec 10 by Kropotkin123

I'm subscribed to a couple of Chess channels on YouTube - Hikaru and Eric Rosen. I sometimes watch Nemo and GothamChess too. Enjoy the Low ELO Legends content from GothamChess, as, even though they are worse than my 1k rating, I see my poor development and rash moves in them.

Hikaru is genuinely a top level player, often top 5 in bullet and blitz. So pretty amazing that he puts out content like he does.

Hikaru is superb at the faster version of the game and it's often between him and Carslen in those tournaments.

He struggles a bit more in the classical formats but he makes great content. The videos of him playing the chess hustlers in NYC are great.

If you enjoy the explanation around why a game was played a certain way then this guy is really good:

Loads of content there, a match every day or two along with analysis of great historic matches.

SB

2021 World Chess Championship on 20:25 - Dec 10 with 1718 viewsCrawfordsboot

Why is chess reported in the sports section of news channels?
2021 World Chess Championship on 20:31 - Dec 10 with 1710 viewsbluelagos

2021 World Chess Championship on 20:25 - Dec 10 by Crawfordsboot

Why is chess reported in the sports section of news channels?

Same reason golf is?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024