Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … 21:56 - Aug 9 with 7436 viewsKieran_Knows

… according to local Pompey journo. More tomorrow - although probably not much more than what we already know.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 21:58 - Aug 9 with 4366 viewschrismakin

But when a player changes their mind after a medical it's ok...

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 21:59 - Aug 9 with 4347 viewsJ2BLUE

I feel for Jacobs but if he had a Championship offer while he was here would he have signed? Of course not. It happened with Charlie Austin. I hold no grudge with Austin. He got offered a better deal, good for him.

It's not nice but it's what happens. The same could yet happen to us with Morrell.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:00 - Aug 9 with 4310 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It sounds rather like Pompey fans expected him to fail any medical.

Is there any evidence he had and passed one?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:10 - Aug 9 with 4125 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:13 - Aug 9 with 4023 viewsitfctilidie

For once the club is being cut throat and personally i love it.

Sorry to Jacobs it is unfortunate however Edwards is young, injury free and quality.

Edwards has huge potential resale value whereas Jacobs doesnt. It is bad timing for Jacobs as if Edwards hadnt become available for another week then Jacobs probably would have been over the line already.
Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:14 - Aug 9 with 4012 viewsMerseyBlue

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 21:59 - Aug 9 by J2BLUE

I feel for Jacobs but if he had a Championship offer while he was here would he have signed? Of course not. It happened with Charlie Austin. I hold no grudge with Austin. He got offered a better deal, good for him.

It's not nice but it's what happens. The same could yet happen to us with Morrell.

Yeah from a human side of things, it must sting and makes it hard for him to get his head right to play for them. Whilst Cowley's interview came across somewhat bitter, he makes a fair point about the way players are treated as commodities. That being said, every club does it - we've done what's right for us. Ruthless but that's the industry.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:14 - Aug 9 with 4001 viewsMetal_Hacker

There may be more to this than we know but if not , it is a little sh1t to be fair

But hey . alls fair in love and war

Poll: If it were one or the other

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:15 - Aug 9 with 3975 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

‘A disgrace’ is the exaggerated reactionary words of a fan rather than a respected journalist. He’s just as salty as the rest of that fanbase. They’ve always believed themselves to be big fish whether than be in the championship or league 1.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Login to get fewer ads

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:17 - Aug 9 with 3939 viewsSomethingBlue

It’s not nice but if your top target suddenly becomes doable before you rubber-stamp another deal then that’s life. Owe the lad an apology and I’m sure he’s been given one but it’s business at the end of the day and we have to look after our interests. It’s not like we are leaving him out of a job.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:20 - Aug 9 with 3836 viewsNthQldITFC

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:13 - Aug 9 by itfctilidie

For once the club is being cut throat and personally i love it.

Sorry to Jacobs it is unfortunate however Edwards is young, injury free and quality.

Edwards has huge potential resale value whereas Jacobs doesnt. It is bad timing for Jacobs as if Edwards hadnt become available for another week then Jacobs probably would have been over the line already.

Didn't Jacobs himself say he was surprised at our interest given his injury situation, or did I imagine that?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:21 - Aug 9 with 3815 viewsHorseboy

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:15 - Aug 9 by The_Romford_Blue

‘A disgrace’ is the exaggerated reactionary words of a fan rather than a respected journalist. He’s just as salty as the rest of that fanbase. They’ve always believed themselves to be big fish whether than be in the championship or league 1.

Our fanbase is exactly the same, salty comments about Championship clubs spending, funny when we are on the other side how it looks so different.
Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:22 - Aug 9 with 3793 viewsitfctilidie

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:20 - Aug 9 by NthQldITFC

Didn't Jacobs himself say he was surprised at our interest given his injury situation, or did I imagine that?

Yeah my understanding was that it was because of an injury why this dragged on so long in the first place as we were waiting for him to get fit before signing him
Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:25 - Aug 9 with 3692 viewsBryanPlug

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:25 - Aug 9 with 3682 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:21 - Aug 9 by Horseboy

Our fanbase is exactly the same, salty comments about Championship clubs spending, funny when we are on the other side how it looks so different.

I can literally only think of Derby that our fan base has been like that about. And that’s because of more than just them spending some cash.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:26 - Aug 9 with 3669 viewswkj

It's a fact of life we're going to have to accept - Ashton and Cook are assertive and are doing what they feel is best for the club as a top priority, and we're not being as patient and measured as we have been in the past. As a result, fans at other clubs are not going to like us very much.

In a way, we've become a bit like Derby County in some people's eyes - we've gazumped a few deals elsewhere, we've recruited a lot of players and we're aiming high. Unlike Derby, it seems we're not being wreckless with our finances to get these deals home.

A lot of teams and fans want us to fail this season, and I respect that given the fact we've watched other clubs step on our feet in the past - however, I don't support other clubs, I support Ipswich. If we are now going to have to step on some toes to get things done, then we've finally entered into the 21st century as far as I'm concerned.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 22:26]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:29 - Aug 9 with 3609 viewspointofblue

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:21 - Aug 9 by Horseboy

True - couldn’t help getting the feeling some were coming across earlier like a League One version of Derby.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:30 - Aug 9 with 3593 viewsStrimmer

Feel bad for Jacobs on a personal level, anyone who's had a career working contract to contract knows how stressful it can be. Albeit better remunerated than most and he's not actually out of work, he's still a bloke with a job/life.

But that's it. Otherwise its all business and you gotta suck it up, fan or coach.

Poll: Was it a punch?

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:32 - Aug 9 with 3542 viewsBloomBlue

We need to be ruthless, I don't care if all other fans hate us that's football. But on the flip side to encourage him to come for a medical we must have sold the dream to him and the danger is other targets in the future might start thinking can I trust Ipswich.
Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:32 - Aug 9 with 3544 viewsketton_itfc

We don’t know the full context and likely never to hear the Town side of things. On the surface it’s not a good look but if Jacobs was offered another 1k a week to go to another club what would he do?
At the end of the day we’ve been fckd over for much of the last 40 years so I want us to be as ruthless as can be. We want EPL football at FPR again sometime. That won’t be achieved by being nice and playing fair. Small margins as Ashton said.
Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:33 - Aug 9 with 3502 viewsTrumptonBlue

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:25 - Aug 9 by The_Romford_Blue

I can literally only think of Derby that our fan base has been like that about. And that’s because of more than just them spending some cash.

Plenty of snippy comments about Bournemouth in recent years.
Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:34 - Aug 9 with 3478 viewsBryanPlug

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:15 - Aug 9 by The_Romford_Blue

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:36 - Aug 9 with 3446 viewsitfcjoe

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:17 - Aug 9 by SomethingBlue

It’s not nice but if your top target suddenly becomes doable before you rubber-stamp another deal then that’s life. Owe the lad an apology and I’m sure he’s been given one but it’s business at the end of the day and we have to look after our interests. It’s not like we are leaving him out of a job.

Think the issue is we’ve been chasing him for weeks, Cook has wanted him and Ashton hasn’t really due to the injury situations…..but Jacobs has been pushing and pushing Pompey to get out (presumably at our request) and now he’s got it done its fallen through at the last minute.

He now has to go back there after agitating for a move all summer - more will come out id guess, but it’s exceptionally ruthless

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:38 - Aug 9 with 3369 viewsBryanPlug

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:36 - Aug 9 by itfcjoe

Think the issue is we’ve been chasing him for weeks, Cook has wanted him and Ashton hasn’t really due to the injury situations…..but Jacobs has been pushing and pushing Pompey to get out (presumably at our request) and now he’s got it done its fallen through at the last minute.

He now has to go back there after agitating for a move all summer - more will come out id guess, but it’s exceptionally ruthless

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:40 - Aug 9 with 3357 viewschrismakin

What I would like to know

If the medical was passed on friday and everything was all ok etc... why did Jacobs leave PR without signing forms.......

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Our treatment of Jacobs a disgrace … on 22:41 - Aug 9 with 3351 viewsolimar

Suspect its more complex than suggested- simply because its pretty much the only deal this summer that hasnt been announced and done within a couple of hours.
The deal for Jacobs is the only one that has been a true "saga", where it has been rumoured to be happening about three times, then gone away again, only to re-emerge later.
Clearly we have been monitoring the situation, but it must have been pretty evident to the player that he wasnt exactly a priority and that we werent entirely set on it happening. But equally, hes presumably been prepared to wait rather than go after other offers, maybe hoping that we wouldnt get our targets and come back for him? Its been a risk on his part too.
And you read the way Conor Chaplin (and several others) speak about the way Cook has been so good to them, looked after them through their careers, that it would seem out of character for Cook to simply reject a player at the last minute without having already told him that it wasnt guaranteed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024