Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How much sleep do you need? 09:27 - May 20 with 1895 viewsCoastalblue

and how much do you actually get?

I've tended to have about 7 hours a night for most of the last few years and found that works quite well, occasionally I'd be getting a bit less for a while and then have a big lay in every so often and catch up.

I'm finding with my current role I tend to get 6 at best and often a bit less, starting to struggle with it a bit.

I just wonder what other people tend to enjoy (sleep wise), my sister needs 8-9 hours a night or can't function, I do know some people exist on 5 or less though.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

How much sleep do you need? on 09:34 - May 20 with 1519 viewsfooters

I'm a proper lazy fecker so need my full eight hours! Can't understand how anyone functions on less than six regularly. I mean, Thatcher only used to sleep for four hours apparently and look what that did to her brain!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

How much sleep do you need? on 09:47 - May 20 with 1479 viewsGuthrum

I need lots, judging by how tired I feel most of the time, but can't seem to manage more than about six most nights. Once I wake up, find it very hard to get back to sleep, even on the rare occasions there is an opportunity to.

On the other hand, I do feel sleep is a waste of valuable reading time.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

How much sleep do you need? on 09:49 - May 20 with 1472 viewsWeWereZombies

Quote by Bill Hicks

'God help me. I'm so tired. I need my sleep. I make no bones about it. I need eight hours a day,

and at least ten at night...'

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

How much sleep do you need? on 09:50 - May 20 with 1467 viewsWD19

Not enough! probably 7-7.5 hours on paper, but the quality is generally poor.......and not in a good way.
How much sleep do you need? on 10:07 - May 20 with 1398 viewsRobTheMonk

9 is my happy place. Normally get 8 and that's fine.
How much sleep do you need? on 10:12 - May 20 with 1376 viewsSteve_M

Ideally eight hours a night plus the odd sleep during the day at the weekend. Normally I'll manage 8 - 8.5 some nights during the week and 7 or so on others so on average it's a bit less. That's normally good sleep, although obviously varies with alcohol and I rarely have a problem falling asleep - which suggests I'm not quite getting enough.

I've found that as I get older I wake early regardless - although I've never had a problem with mornings - so the determinant is what time I go to bed. I might struggle when I can go out again and am still in a pub at gone 11....

I did have 10 hours sleep, without alcohol, after my second covid jab last Friday and still crashed out for two hours during Saturday. I felt better after all that though!

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

How much sleep do you need? on 10:31 - May 20 with 1317 viewsEwan_Oozami

How much sleep do you need? on 09:50 - May 20 by WD19

Not enough! probably 7-7.5 hours on paper, but the quality is generally poor.......and not in a good way.

Not surprised your quality of sleep is poor if you sleep on paper!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

How much sleep do you need? on 10:32 - May 20 with 1316 viewsBluefish

How much sleep do you need? on 10:12 - May 20 by Steve_M

Ideally eight hours a night plus the odd sleep during the day at the weekend. Normally I'll manage 8 - 8.5 some nights during the week and 7 or so on others so on average it's a bit less. That's normally good sleep, although obviously varies with alcohol and I rarely have a problem falling asleep - which suggests I'm not quite getting enough.

I've found that as I get older I wake early regardless - although I've never had a problem with mornings - so the determinant is what time I go to bed. I might struggle when I can go out again and am still in a pub at gone 11....

I did have 10 hours sleep, without alcohol, after my second covid jab last Friday and still crashed out for two hours during Saturday. I felt better after all that though!

I always needed 8 and use to make up lost time for every hour missed. There days it is more like 7 but similar to you I wake up early every day regardless, didn't get much sleep last night because thinking about the bar so I am very tired today. It doesn't bode well that we have our pre opening this weekend so I am on a late session tonight then working Friday morning and then back for a session on Friday and probably then helping out behind the bar on Saturday. I am so tired this morning but I am not missing back to back piss ups

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Login to get fewer ads

How much sleep do you need? on 10:34 - May 20 with 1304 viewsDarth_Koont

I think the science increasingly suggests that our modern practice of trying to squeeze all our sleep into one window isn’t the healthiest. A. Because we should have planned rest and a “system shutdown” during the awake 16-18 hours or we get much more tired. And B. because it means we put all our eggs in one basket and then have to manage the day on that.

Of course, life and work isn’t really designed around an afternoon nap. But that may be the advantage of more people working from home more often.

I’ll see if I can find the podcast where a sleep expert was talking about this, and for sportspeople where the performance gains are even more necessary.

Pronouns: He/Him

How much sleep do you need? on 10:40 - May 20 with 1286 viewsKieran_Knows

Probably between 8-9 during the week, but tend to find on the weekend I go to bed the relatively same time (10ish) but always get up at 6.00am, no matter what. Whereas I sleep right through till 7-7.30 during the week.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

How much sleep do you need? on 10:45 - May 20 with 1256 viewsDarth_Koont

How much sleep do you need? on 10:34 - May 20 by Darth_Koont

I think the science increasingly suggests that our modern practice of trying to squeeze all our sleep into one window isn’t the healthiest. A. Because we should have planned rest and a “system shutdown” during the awake 16-18 hours or we get much more tired. And B. because it means we put all our eggs in one basket and then have to manage the day on that.

Of course, life and work isn’t really designed around an afternoon nap. But that may be the advantage of more people working from home more often.

I’ll see if I can find the podcast where a sleep expert was talking about this, and for sportspeople where the performance gains are even more necessary.

Pretty sure it was this one:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06xg15f

Got to admit that I thought it was really interesting but then didn’t really follow through on any of it. But this has been a good reminder to have a go.

Pronouns: He/Him

How much sleep do you need? on 10:45 - May 20 with 1257 viewsOsborneOneNil

I have 7 on average. Can’t seem to get to bed before midnight, and up for 7.

Last few nights have been nearer 5...new puppy 🐶
How much sleep do you need? on 10:45 - May 20 with 1254 viewsHerbivore

I probably get 6 at most. Not sure how much I need per se but I function on what I get and find that I don't really tend to sleep more at the weekend. That said if I have time off work then after 3 or 4 nights I find I do tend to then get more like the 8 hours that most normal people get.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How much sleep do you need? on 10:45 - May 20 with 1248 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Sleeping is one of the great pleasures in life. Ideally I need 8 or 9 to feel on top form. Often I'll sleep for a couple of hours between 5-7pm if I can, you feel miles better if you sleep twice during the 24 hours.

Also, I have found that going to bed before 11pm allows you to get away with a little bit less and feel good.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

How much sleep do you need? on 10:46 - May 20 with 1241 viewsFtnfwest

work in town so up early usually and get about 6-6.30 in the week, maybe 7 at weekends if i'm lucky
How much sleep do you need? on 10:51 - May 20 with 1216 viewshype313

I get around 7 hours a night, in my teens I could sleep for 12-13 hours without fail, but these days with kids etc I get by on that.

I did watch a docu years ago about sleep and basically it said anyone who goes over 8 hours then goes into a second sleep cycle, so essentially you should then go for 16 hours which most people don't, but it is why people who have 9-10 hours still feel tired and groggy because the body is expecting to go to 16.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

How much sleep do you need? on 10:57 - May 20 with 1183 viewsBlue_Order

Need 7 or 8. Average 4 or 5 if I’m lucky.

Insomnia Loyal.
How much sleep do you need? on 11:00 - May 20 with 1167 viewsghostofescobar

I can get by on 6 to 7 hours. My relationship with sleep is fitful: I tend to sleep solid for 3 or 4 hours, then I’m half in, half out until the alarm goes off. My problem is I’m such a light sleeper. If a mouse farts a couple of streets away, I’m awake.

GhostOfEscobar

How much sleep do you need? on 11:09 - May 20 with 1107 viewsHerbivore

How much sleep do you need? on 11:00 - May 20 by ghostofescobar

I can get by on 6 to 7 hours. My relationship with sleep is fitful: I tend to sleep solid for 3 or 4 hours, then I’m half in, half out until the alarm goes off. My problem is I’m such a light sleeper. If a mouse farts a couple of streets away, I’m awake.

This.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How much sleep do you need? on 11:55 - May 20 with 1003 viewsKropotkin123

Depends on the season. I only need about seven hours at the moment (0-7). But in the winter it would be more like ten hours (22-8)

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

How much sleep do you need? on 12:04 - May 20 with 982 viewsClapham_Junction

I struggle to get to sleep at night and rarely sleep before 1-2am, so usually get about 6 hours, which doesn't feel enough. At weekends or on days off, unless I'm woken up by an alarm or my partner, I will sleep till around midday.

I think I'd work better on a planet where the day was a few hours longer, as my natural rhythm doesn't really seem to fit in 24 hours.
How much sleep do you need? on 12:08 - May 20 with 957 viewsPrideOfTheEast

How much sleep do you need? on 12:04 - May 20 by Clapham_Junction

I struggle to get to sleep at night and rarely sleep before 1-2am, so usually get about 6 hours, which doesn't feel enough. At weekends or on days off, unless I'm woken up by an alarm or my partner, I will sleep till around midday.

I think I'd work better on a planet where the day was a few hours longer, as my natural rhythm doesn't really seem to fit in 24 hours.

That definitely isn't your "natural rhythm" but it sounds like the adjusted rhythm you have works for you.

Sleep is all about consistency. So if you're sleeping until midday 30% of the time (say 2 out of 7 days) it's almost impossible to train the body to sleep differently the other 70%.
How much sleep do you need? on 12:15 - May 20 with 923 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Average 5-6 hours but with irregular waking times. Sometimes I start work at 3am; other days not until 7 or even later. Have a daytime nap a couple of times a week maybe 75-90 mins.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

How much sleep do you need? on 12:22 - May 20 with 907 viewsBent_double

How much sleep do you need? on 10:51 - May 20 by hype313

I get around 7 hours a night, in my teens I could sleep for 12-13 hours without fail, but these days with kids etc I get by on that.

I did watch a docu years ago about sleep and basically it said anyone who goes over 8 hours then goes into a second sleep cycle, so essentially you should then go for 16 hours which most people don't, but it is why people who have 9-10 hours still feel tired and groggy because the body is expecting to go to 16.

I'm the same, 6.5-7 hours are good for me, but if I go just over 8 hours I wake up feeling absolutely knackered, usually in the middle of some vivid dream - that must be why.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

How much sleep do you need? on 12:34 - May 20 with 882 viewshoppy

How much sleep do you need? on 12:15 - May 20 by Tangledupin_Blue

Average 5-6 hours but with irregular waking times. Sometimes I start work at 3am; other days not until 7 or even later. Have a daytime nap a couple of times a week maybe 75-90 mins.

Sorry, I misread that to begin with... but you said waking times...

I usually get about 5ish hours.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024