Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Huge game tomorrow isn't it? 11:42 - Nov 22 with 2532 viewsDubtractor

Stating the obvious I know, but the mood of our support will really swing based on the result.

Win, and it's a reasonable (though not good) return from our 5 games against top teams, and we keep on the coat tails of the leading pack.

Lose and its just 4 points from those 5 games, the gap to the top 6 could be as much as 10 points, and there will be a lot of questions asked about the team and management.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 11:46 - Nov 22 with 1952 viewshype313

Pivitol game for me, almost must win if we really have visions of a promotion push via the play offs, lose and 10 points would be too huge a gap to make up given our form this season so far.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

It's a major indictment of our season.... on 11:56 - Nov 22 with 1914 viewsBloots

.....that we aren't halfway through it yet, but we are already facing "vital" games.

Our poor start has meant that we already have absolutely no margin for error.

We need a run of wins desperately.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 11:57 - Nov 22 with 1916 viewsSteve_M

I'm fully prepared for 70% + possession and a 2-0 defeat but we shouldn't be fearing Rotherham at home in the third division.,

We need to be much sharper on Saturday in good positions. That and not conceding early.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 11:57 - Nov 22 with 1910 viewsgalacticoblue

if MK Dons and Sunderland win their games in hand we are we are effectively 10 points off the playoffs now. I want Cook to succeed, but if he doesn't get it right tomorrow I will start to fear the worst. His record to date is very poor.
Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 12:06 - Nov 22 with 1844 viewsHerbivore

It does feel like a very big game. If we lose we really are well off the pace fast approaching the midpoint of the season. Top 2 has already gone just 18 games into the season and that's a failure, lose tomorrow and the play offs are going to require sustained 2 points per game form over the remaining 27 games. Do we look capable of that?

However, win this and we go into a winnable home game at the weekend with our tails up and with the gap to 6th looking not insurmountable.

It is mad though that there's so much riding on game 19 and it speaks to how badly we've messed things up to date.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2021 12:12]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 12:07 - Nov 22 with 1847 viewsSomethingBlue

Yep, I see the word "pivotal" used below and while we're saying that a lot I think it's valid here. We can't lose any further ground and we need to show that Wycombe wasn't a one-off. Vital that we pull something off.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 12:38 - Nov 22 with 1707 viewsJ2BLUE

I think we need 4 point from the next 6 minimum. With a decent gap between Crewe and the next league game it wouldn't surprise me if we got rid if we get anything less. A new manager would need time before the window. I think Cook's time here is entering sink or swim territory.

Just to be clear, I am not personally calling for his head. If we are 10 points off the play offs though we do need to be at least starting to think about Plan B.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 13:13 - Nov 22 with 1617 viewsKeaneish

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 12:38 - Nov 22 by J2BLUE

I think we need 4 point from the next 6 minimum. With a decent gap between Crewe and the next league game it wouldn't surprise me if we got rid if we get anything less. A new manager would need time before the window. I think Cook's time here is entering sink or swim territory.

Just to be clear, I am not personally calling for his head. If we are 10 points off the play offs though we do need to be at least starting to think about Plan B.

7 pts from the next three minimum but 3 of those have to be against Rotherham tomorrow night as a mandatory. Win all 3 and we’re back to 2 pts ppg which has to be the target, we obviously.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Login to get fewer ads

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 13:24 - Nov 22 with 1587 viewsLightworker

Agree with this. I desperately want Cook to succeed but if we lose tomorrow I will unfortunately be of the opinion that we need to make a change. I know that sounds ridiculous based on one game but I really think it is that important.

Lose tomorrow and I think the players will start losing belief and that will need to be turned around quickly.
Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 13:28 - Nov 22 with 1561 viewsIllinoisblue

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 13:24 - Nov 22 by Lightworker

Agree with this. I desperately want Cook to succeed but if we lose tomorrow I will unfortunately be of the opinion that we need to make a change. I know that sounds ridiculous based on one game but I really think it is that important.

Lose tomorrow and I think the players will start losing belief and that will need to be turned around quickly.

And that’s Cook’s big problem and one (almost) entirely of his own making. Our terrible awful start means he has precious little wriggle room from here on in. The amount of points we’ve thrown away makes me wants to spit blood. This season is nothing but indigestion and heartburn.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

It's a major indictment of our season.... on 13:31 - Nov 22 with 1525 viewsSteve_M

It's a major indictment of our season.... on 11:56 - Nov 22 by Bloots

.....that we aren't halfway through it yet, but we are already facing "vital" games.

Our poor start has meant that we already have absolutely no margin for error.

We need a run of wins desperately.

Don't forget the improvement though; we're merely average now rather than poor.

Quite staggering that Cook has only managed two consecutive league wins once in 30 matches. In the third division.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 13:36 - Nov 22 with 1488 viewsJDB23

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 13:13 - Nov 22 by Keaneish

7 pts from the next three minimum but 3 of those have to be against Rotherham tomorrow night as a mandatory. Win all 3 and we’re back to 2 pts ppg which has to be the target, we obviously.

What happens if we don't get 7 from the next 3? Or if we fail to win tomorrow? Will you still be calling fans deluded for questioning Cook's position? Doesn't it show how bad things have gone thus far if you are stating a win is mandatory in November?

Hopefully we don't get the answers to those questions as we go on a winning run starting tomorrow. It really is a huge game and beating Rotherham would be a massive boost to the confidence of all involved.
Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 13:37 - Nov 22 with 1473 viewschicoazul

Gotta play Chaplin and Aluko for goals. Maybe bring 1P back too.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 13:59 - Nov 22 with 1405 viewsitfcjoe

The problem is until we can string a few wins together and get somewhere like where we need to be, each defeat just exacerbates how far we are from where we need to be - if we lose tomorrow we need 2 points per game for the rest of the season to get to 78 points.

78 points is what it took to finish 6th on Goal Difference in 2014/15 where a number of people who can't stand McCarthy would claim we 'stumbled' into the play offs.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 14:03 - Nov 22 with 1377 viewsitfcjoe

I think we've left it too late if we want to make a change to the manager, really our only hope now is Cook getting it right so that option has to be exhausted in full before a change can be made

That's unless things go disastrously over next 3/4/5 games and we only pick up something like 1 point per game and then the season will be as good as dead as it is and needing a miracle just to get into the play offs.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 14:07 - Nov 22 with 1351 viewstextbackup

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 13:59 - Nov 22 by itfcjoe

The problem is until we can string a few wins together and get somewhere like where we need to be, each defeat just exacerbates how far we are from where we need to be - if we lose tomorrow we need 2 points per game for the rest of the season to get to 78 points.

78 points is what it took to finish 6th on Goal Difference in 2014/15 where a number of people who can't stand McCarthy would claim we 'stumbled' into the play offs.

the final day saw us lose, and the other team we needed to lose, lost.
stumble is the correct word. we didnt convincingly fly into them did we.
personally i left blackburn that day on a downer that we couldnt muster up enough fight to win a must win game

and if we were to do the same this season it would also be us stumbling in.... and i'd feel the same
[Post edited 22 Nov 2021 14:11]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 14:14 - Nov 22 with 1290 viewsBseaBlue

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 14:07 - Nov 22 by textbackup

personally i left blackburn that day on a downer that we couldnt muster up enough fight to win a must win game

and if we were to do the same this season it would also be us stumbling in.... and i'd feel the same

You are correct of course but with the uptake in form required to get there now, it would mean coming off of the back of good form.

I'm not sure that Paul Cook can get us to that point. He was right when he said our 'inconsistency is our consistency' and we don't appear to show signs of going on the run that we need to. As Joe has said above though, I don't think we are at the point of making a change yet as it could just make things worse.

My big hope is that we can continue to put chances away like we have been and then reinforce in January with a left back and quality centre half. Whether it will be too late by then is another matter though.....
Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 14:17 - Nov 22 with 1267 viewsitfc1108

The Cambridge manager described Rotherham as Powerful, relentless and ruthless.

I wish we could be like that.
Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 14:18 - Nov 22 with 1252 viewsKeaneish

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 13:36 - Nov 22 by JDB23

What happens if we don't get 7 from the next 3? Or if we fail to win tomorrow? Will you still be calling fans deluded for questioning Cook's position? Doesn't it show how bad things have gone thus far if you are stating a win is mandatory in November?

Hopefully we don't get the answers to those questions as we go on a winning run starting tomorrow. It really is a huge game and beating Rotherham would be a massive boost to the confidence of all involved.

I haven’t called any fan deluded for questioning his position. I’ve called others different things for calling for him to be sacked without any sense of what would follow or sensible suggestions to the contrary. I’ve also said as much toward fans stating he has, “4 games to save his job” pre Plymouth.

A win is always a mandatory against your rivals at home isn’t it? It’s just taken on added significance now given the capitulation at Sunderland.

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 14:20 - Nov 22 with 1229 viewsEwan_Oozami

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 14:18 - Nov 22 by Keaneish

I haven’t called any fan deluded for questioning his position. I’ve called others different things for calling for him to be sacked without any sense of what would follow or sensible suggestions to the contrary. I’ve also said as much toward fans stating he has, “4 games to save his job” pre Plymouth.

A win is always a mandatory against your rivals at home isn’t it? It’s just taken on added significance now given the capitulation at Sunderland.

Don't think it's fair to call the Sunderland game a "capitulation"...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 14:26 - Nov 22 with 1191 viewsBseaBlue

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 14:18 - Nov 22 by Keaneish

Based on his existing record I don't blame some fans for taking that stance, when there are clear concerns though! Likewise, your point about alternatives and what would follow is also very valid. (and I understand the need for patience etc)

What doesn't sit right though is the need for people to defend him at all costs. Yes, in terms of performances there have been plenty of positive signs but to my mind, we are still mid table in league one and he is thus failing in his job. I sincerely hope he does turn it around though and I am desperate for him to be a success here.
Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 14:35 - Nov 22 with 1137 viewsHerbivore

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 14:07 - Nov 22 by textbackup

Wonder when we'll next finish with that many points in the second tier though, buh. Feels a long way off at the minute.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 14:47 - Nov 22 with 1094 viewsKeaneish

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 14:26 - Nov 22 by BseaBlue

Based on his existing record I don't blame some fans for taking that stance, when there are clear concerns though! Likewise, your point about alternatives and what would follow is also very valid. (and I understand the need for patience etc)

What doesn't sit right though is the need for people to defend him at all costs. Yes, in terms of performances there have been plenty of positive signs but to my mind, we are still mid table in league one and he is thus failing in his job. I sincerely hope he does turn it around though and I am desperate for him to be a success here.

I think we’re all desperate for him to be a success here and that’s boiling over into frustrations vented in different ways. We’re on the cusp and we can all see it and sense it but we can’t alter it, that’s probably the most frustrating thing especially when frailties we thought had been eradicated, resurface.

Blind faith is nonsense but this isn’t a PR drive at Portman Road the moment, it’s a very tangible and some performances have given renewed optimism. Objective criticism should always be the aim. I’m a big Cook fan but he has made some questionable decisions recently and I feel there’s things he could be doing in game that he’s not. Let’s see what tomorrow night brings.

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 15:11 - Nov 22 with 987 viewspeterleeblue

Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 13:28 - Nov 22 by Illinoisblue

And that’s Cook’s big problem and one (almost) entirely of his own making. Our terrible awful start means he has precious little wriggle room from here on in. The amount of points we’ve thrown away makes me wants to spit blood. This season is nothing but indigestion and heartburn.

"This season is nothing but indigestion and heartburn"

Exactly how I felt when that weak header went in on Saturday on the 85minute.
Huge game tomorrow isn't it? on 15:20 - Nov 22 with 946 viewsclive_baker

Yeah, biggest of the season so far I would say. 3 points and we're back on track, lose or draw and it won't do much to gain on those above us. We should beat Crewe on Sunday.

If we take 6 points from these 2 we'll have averaged 2 ppg for the last 10 games, and if you extend that back to 14 games we're only 1 point off 2 ppg. 27 points from a possible 42. Over a full season that's 89 points. Even with our slow start prior to that 14 games, it will be enough for p/offs if we kept it up.

It would also be a 14 game period that includes 7 of the current top 9, 4 of which away.

Its not all doom and gloom, but I would love to see us put back to back wins togethe and show a bit more of a complete performance. After a strong first half on Saturday I thought we were dire after the break.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024