Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What sort of manager would you be? 13:40 - Sep 7 with 2025 viewsFrimleyBlue

You're potter.

Chance to go to a club like Chelsea.. or remain where you are and continue the great work you've done....

We've seen many examples of young managers moving to 'bigger' clubs, and it ended up going badly.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

What sort of manager would you be? on 13:42 - Sep 7 with 1784 viewsVaughan8

Football is Morally bankrupt (although Potter seems a decent bloke).

No-one is going to turn down say 2x, 3x, 4x their wage, and if it all goes wrong, you get a massive payoff anyway. its a no-brainer.
What sort of manager would you be? on 13:48 - Sep 7 with 1750 viewsJ2BLUE

Potter is not an idiot. He is not going to turn down a long big money contract working with the Chelsea squad to stay at Brighton.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What sort of manager would you be? on 13:50 - Sep 7 with 1738 viewsMattinLondon

What sort of manager would you be? on 13:42 - Sep 7 by Vaughan8

No-one is going to turn down say 2x, 3x, 4x their wage, and if it all goes wrong, you get a massive payoff anyway. its a no-brainer.

How is it moral bankruptcy to go to a bigger club with the opportunity to work with better players, the opportunity to win bigger trophies and to earn more money?
What sort of manager would you be? on 13:52 - Sep 7 with 1717 viewsChurchman

What sort of manager would you be? on 13:42 - Sep 7 by Vaughan8

Sadly, I’d take the job and the money. My principles go only so far if I’m honest. You are right - football is morally bankrupt.

The thing is that it cuts both ways and if he had a string of poor results at Brighton they’d fire him in a heartbeat. It’s how it is. There is also an upper limit to what Brighton can achieve.
What sort of manager would you be? on 14:22 - Sep 7 with 1594 viewsBlueandTruesince82

It will sort him for life if he gets it.

If I were him and they offered it, I'd go. I don't think there is any moral dillema there.

If anyone wants to offer me double my salary to do the same job I'll happily come work for you too.

Ideally fully remote WFH ta

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

What sort of manager would you be? on 14:22 - Sep 7 with 1596 viewstractordownsouth

He should go to Chelsea. He’ll be tripling his salary and if it works then he’ll be an elite manager, with a realistic shot at winning trophies, which he won’t get at Brighton. If it goes wrong, he’s done well enough at Brighton and in Sweden to get a job at another bottom half Premier League side afterwards anyway.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

What sort of manager would you be? on 14:23 - Sep 7 with 1588 viewswrightsrightglove

If Brighton got relegated, would they be faithful to Potter or would he be out the door? Football is a fickle business where you can go from hero to zero over the course of a few weeks. He’d be stupid to turn the opportunity to manage Chelsea down what with the wages, the players, the pay off and no doubt he’ll get other opportunities once it all goes wrong at Chelsea.
What sort of manager would you be? on 14:34 - Sep 7 with 1551 viewsSharkey

What sort of manager would you be? on 14:22 - Sep 7 by tractordownsouth

He should go to Chelsea. He’ll be tripling his salary and if it works then he’ll be an elite manager, with a realistic shot at winning trophies, which he won’t get at Brighton. If it goes wrong, he’s done well enough at Brighton and in Sweden to get a job at another bottom half Premier League side afterwards anyway.

Not saying you're wrong in general, but are you really saying that a club like Brighton has no chance of winning trophies? That's pretty depressing, - it's not THAT long ago that Wigan won the FA Cup, after all. How many clubs DO you think have a chance of winning trophies?
Login to get fewer ads

What sort of manager would you be? on 14:37 - Sep 7 with 1526 viewsGarv

What sort of manager would you be? on 14:22 - Sep 7 by tractordownsouth

Brighton are criminally underrated, and only just getting a bit of recognition. They should be looking to go far in cup comps.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

What sort of manager would you be? on 14:42 - Sep 7 with 1493 viewsclive_baker

Very difficult not to jump at Chelsea if they come calling. As a manager if you've been through your badges and earned your stripes at smaller clubs, especially someone like Potter who never played the game to a top standard, you want to test yourself at the highest level you can.

Forget about the money, he has the chance to build a title winning, Champions League winning side. He won't get that at Brighton. Wasn't long ago he was at Ostersunds and would've been dreaming of managing a Chelsea, I don't see how you can say no to it.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

What sort of manager would you be? on 15:22 - Sep 7 with 1386 viewsElephantintheRoom

He’s the next manager of Saudi Arabia on Tyne FC

Although to be fair he’s got time to take the Chelsea job and trouser a multi-million pay off before so doing if he wants.

My money is on Poch.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

What sort of manager would you be? on 18:02 - Sep 7 with 1200 viewscbower

At Brightonhe is one poor season from relegation. At Chelsea, one poor season from a massive pay off

bluescouser

What sort of manager would you be? on 18:03 - Sep 7 with 1195 viewschicoazul

I would take that Chelsea money in a heartbeat.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

What sort of manager would you be? on 18:09 - Sep 7 with 1176 viewsDubtractor

I would take the money and big opportunity, no doubt.

I'm not sure Potter would though - strikes me as the type of manager who'd want a bit more certainty of stability in the club and role.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

What sort of manager would you be? on 18:11 - Sep 7 with 1171 viewsMullet

What sort of manager would you be? on 14:37 - Sep 7 by Garv

Brighton are criminally underrated, and only just getting a bit of recognition. They should be looking to go far in cup comps.

They should be liquidated. Rubbish little club.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

What sort of manager would you be? on 18:18 - Sep 7 with 1139 viewsSwansea_Blue

You challenge yourself at the highest level you can. It’s a fickle game. He could stay at Brighton but then have a bad spell if they lose a decent player or to, and be sacked in a couple of months. Look at Rodgers at Leicester.

He’s hardly young either. Been managing about 12 years and knocking on the door of 50. He’s in a different league to the likes of Gerard and the other recently(ish) retired players and has worked on his mentality as much as his coaching. Extremely capable, emotionally intelligent manager who makes players feel a mile high. He’ll be a great choice for Chelsea and a breath of fresh air after Tuchel, who always seemed to be having a toddler’s tantrum.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What sort of manager would you be? on 18:29 - Sep 7 with 1101 viewsStewart27

Potter is great.

There is no way he’s turning down Chelsea. What the hell else would he wait for?

Anyway, maybe he’ll get more time under the new Chelsea regime.
What sort of manager would you be? on 18:36 - Sep 7 with 1083 viewsWeWereZombies

What sort of manager would you be? on 14:42 - Sep 7 by clive_baker

Very difficult not to jump at Chelsea if they come calling. As a manager if you've been through your badges and earned your stripes at smaller clubs, especially someone like Potter who never played the game to a top standard, you want to test yourself at the highest level you can.

Forget about the money, he has the chance to build a title winning, Champions League winning side. He won't get that at Brighton. Wasn't long ago he was at Ostersunds and would've been dreaming of managing a Chelsea, I don't see how you can say no to it.

Also, if he has one eye on the England job (or any other major national team) the Chelsea and Champions League experience is going to be far more useful (for both parties) than Brighton and probably one of the minor European competitions, and not every year at that.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

What sort of manager would you be? on 18:44 - Sep 7 with 1042 viewsmonkeymagic

What sort of manager would you be? on 18:36 - Sep 7 by WeWereZombies

Also, if he has one eye on the England job (or any other major national team) the Chelsea and Champions League experience is going to be far more useful (for both parties) than Brighton and probably one of the minor European competitions, and not every year at that.

It’s win win for GP. He’s clearly first choice for Chelsea & has effectively been offered the job - if he is bottling it, he can demand a mega pay rise from BHA to stay put.
I think the fact he’s already in talks means he’s off. Be interesting to see who BHA appoint if he does leave.
What sort of manager would you be? on 20:58 - Sep 7 with 876 viewsBloomBlue

Hmmm let's think about this..

Brighton = manager of a team who might make the top 10 in the prem if lucky

Chelsea = manager of a team who realistically can win the Prem, FA Cup and CL

Tough decision I'm sure
What sort of manager would you be? on 09:18 - Sep 8 with 664 viewsringwoodblue

It’s easier for us to pass judgement as we are not Brighton supporters. If McKenna was the one Chelsea had approached, no doubt, some that are saying he should go would have different opinions.

I think Potter should stay put and secure Brighton a European place - what an achievement that would be.

Poll: How do you feel about the EADT digital subscription?

What sort of manager would you be? on 09:22 - Sep 8 with 655 viewsChurchman

What sort of manager would you be? on 09:18 - Sep 8 by ringwoodblue

It’s easier for us to pass judgement as we are not Brighton supporters. If McKenna was the one Chelsea had approached, no doubt, some that are saying he should go would have different opinions.

I think Potter should stay put and secure Brighton a European place - what an achievement that would be.

I think there’s a differences between understanding why somebody would take an opportunity like Chelsea and liking it.

If Potter is offered the Chelsea job, he will always regret it if he doesn’t give it a try, especially as there’s not much more to achieve at Brighton.
What sort of manager would you be? on 09:58 - Sep 8 with 592 viewstractordownsouth

What sort of manager would you be? on 14:34 - Sep 7 by Sharkey

Not saying you're wrong in general, but are you really saying that a club like Brighton has no chance of winning trophies? That's pretty depressing, - it's not THAT long ago that Wigan won the FA Cup, after all. How many clubs DO you think have a chance of winning trophies?

Since 2013, the only time a non-top 6 club has won either cup competition is Leicester's FA Cup success in 2021.

Success with mid-table clubs is so rare now I think the Chelsea opportunity is too much to turn down.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

What sort of manager would you be? on 10:05 - Sep 8 with 582 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What sort of manager would you be? on 14:37 - Sep 7 by Garv

Brighton have made it to the quarter finals of any major cup competition precisely once in the last 40 years

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

What sort of manager would you be? on 10:15 - Sep 8 with 563 viewsMattinLondon

What sort of manager would you be? on 10:05 - Sep 8 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Brighton have made it to the quarter finals of any major cup competition precisely once in the last 40 years

What has the last forty years got to do with it? This is probably their best team in the last forty years so they should be trying to outdo past achievements.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024