Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience 18:42 - Sep 25 with 3978 viewsMaySixth

for promoted sides

the gap is huge

i'd take another progressive season in the Champ and then really attack it if we are lucky enough to get promoted

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 19:05 - Sep 25 with 3572 viewsBent_double

Not controversial, I would think most fans of FL clubs would agree - the fun part is getting there, it's not always so much fun when you do!

But, that's the aim, get to the 'promised land', and then, who knows....become a 'yo-yo' club with a promotion or relegation every season, or do a Palace/Leicester/Brighton/Southampton and stay there for 5-10 seasons, sign players for tens of millions of pounds, sell players for the same, qualify for European competitions, and hope it doesn't eventually bankrupt the club.

All good fun, eh!

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 19:42 - Sep 25 with 3495 viewsChurchman

It doesn’t matter how the experience turns out. Just be the best you can be which means if the opportunity is there, take it. Keep going, never give up.
Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 19:56 - Sep 25 with 3457 viewsTrequartista

Fulham, Bournemouth and Forest all stayed up last year, so despite the dreadful starts of Luton, Sheffield Utd and Burnley, its too early to draw conclusions.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 20:47 - Sep 25 with 3370 viewsNthsuffolkblue

The advantage of the Premier League is seeing the best players in the world playing ... and some for your club.

This year the promoted 3 are struggling but Burnley's best player was a loanee they were unable to resign, Luton were never ready for promotion and have been realistic about who they have signed with that in mind. Not too sure about what trading Sheffield United did.

Previous seasons, Fulham, Bournemouth and Forest are all still there 2 seasons later and look good to stay there for a third at least. The idea that the promoted three stand no chance seems to based on a very small data set. Brentford were promoted the season before that.

It does depend on investment and how well a club is run but we have both of those now. I am quite sure the aim isn't to do a nodge and take the TV parachute money and run.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 20:51 - Sep 25 with 3349 viewspointofblue

Forest away aside, Burnley have had a very tough start - Manchester City, Aston Villa, Tottenham and Manchester United. They're at Newcastle next week before the reorganised trip to Luton on 3rd October. Think they'll be ok - Bournemouth, Everton or Wolves will take the third relegation spot.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 20:51 - Sep 25 with 3345 viewsKeno

Buts lets not forget ....

We've got Super Kieran McKenna
He'll know exactly what we need .......

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 20:54 - Sep 25 with 3335 viewstractordownsouth

If we do manage back to back promotions we’d be favourites to go straight back down but even if that happened, it would set the club up financially for years so we should take whatever opportunity we get.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 20:56 - Sep 25 with 3320 viewsSwansea_Blue

It’s great, until you get relegated. Obviously you have to sell your soul to the corporate machine and all that, but from a pure footballing point of view why wouldn’t anyone want to pit themselves against the best? Some even do reasonably well for a while.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 20:58 - Sep 25 with 3313 viewsthatbdude

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 20:51 - Sep 25 by pointofblue

Forest away aside, Burnley have had a very tough start - Manchester City, Aston Villa, Tottenham and Manchester United. They're at Newcastle next week before the reorganised trip to Luton on 3rd October. Think they'll be ok - Bournemouth, Everton or Wolves will take the third relegation spot.

Are we ruling out Chelsea.

I personally think Wolves will struggle the most out of all these teams. They've conceded the most goal out of all of them

Poll: Who going down?

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 21:35 - Sep 25 with 3143 viewsChrisd

There’s little doubt that the money that the EPL generates has completely ruined football. Clubs get promoted and instead of being able to be financially strong, promotion actually puts clubs in a financial mess as they overstretch themselves simply trying to compete.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 11:44 - Sep 26 with 2578 viewsRegencyBlue

The gap is huge but it depends in part on what a clubs ambitions are. To me it looks as if both Luton and Sheffield United have decided to take the money and run.

I’d like to think we would have a good go at it but getting there in the first place is the really hard bit!
Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 12:00 - Sep 26 with 2533 viewsRadlett_blue

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 20:47 - Sep 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

The advantage of the Premier League is seeing the best players in the world playing ... and some for your club.

This year the promoted 3 are struggling but Burnley's best player was a loanee they were unable to resign, Luton were never ready for promotion and have been realistic about who they have signed with that in mind. Not too sure about what trading Sheffield United did.

Previous seasons, Fulham, Bournemouth and Forest are all still there 2 seasons later and look good to stay there for a third at least. The idea that the promoted three stand no chance seems to based on a very small data set. Brentford were promoted the season before that.

It does depend on investment and how well a club is run but we have both of those now. I am quite sure the aim isn't to do a nodge and take the TV parachute money and run.

Sheffield United sold two of their standout players (Sander Berge to Burnley and Iliman Ndiaye to Marseille) but still signed Cameron Archer from Aston Villa for £18.5m and Gustavo Hamer from Coventry City for £15m.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 12:20 - Sep 26 with 2490 viewsBlueySwede

If we get the chance to get promoted, we should take it.
I can see your point, that we probably would be a little better off to develop our squad for a season or two before being promoted.
But. Even if we do that there are no guarantees that we will be in a promotion race and have the chance again.
I have belief that if we went upp the owners would invest in the best manner and give us a chance of survival the first year and then develop from there.
Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 12:48 - Sep 26 with 2396 viewsDeepBlueSea

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 20:54 - Sep 25 by tractordownsouth

If we do manage back to back promotions we’d be favourites to go straight back down but even if that happened, it would set the club up financially for years so we should take whatever opportunity we get.

Exactly.

I’d love to know how Norwich’s turnover compares to ours. I bet it’s significantly more and that will entirely be down to parachute payments.

Not wanting to repeat mistakes of the past, but if we got promoted and used some of the money rebuilding a bigger, better Cobbold stand then that’s the kind of thing that benefits us for years,
Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 12:54 - Sep 26 with 2378 viewsSomethingBlue

Depends – the Championship was particularly weak last year so that's why the gulf is more pronounced this time. We should not be choosy about when we go up, the financial rewards would be transformative in the long run.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 12:58 - Sep 26 with 2371 viewsBondiBlue

We've all thought it. But i remember looking at our first 8 games of this season and thinking "i can't see how we're going to win many of these", and we've just won 7 of them. Plus i grew up watching burley's team.

You never know.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2023 13:00]

Poll: Which would you accept?

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 13:05 - Sep 26 with 2336 viewsBondiBlue

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 20:47 - Sep 25 by Nthsuffolkblue

This is a good point. Best moment as a town fan for me was watching wilnis put us 1-0 up in our first home game in the prem against the best midfield i've ever seen - keane, scholes, giggs and beckham. Noisiest i've ever heard portman road and that was when the north stand and churchmans were still single tier. A draw against man united is a far better feeling than beating blackburn 4-3.

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 13:07 - Sep 26 with 2324 viewsExiled2Surrey

I suspect that literally none of our players or staff think that (and I am using the dictionary definition of literally here, not that from social media...) and they are going to do everything in their powers to get there
Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 13:14 - Sep 26 with 2298 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Think we are getting ahead of ourselves, but it's a no brainer to want to get promoted.

Worst case, you go up and suck but still bank the money for the future of the club. Best case you do a Brentford or a Bournemouth and survive, if they can we can.
Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 13:25 - Sep 26 with 2248 viewsElephantintheRoom

Hmm. The real problem is getting back up before the Prem dosh runs out. Parachute payments usually mean you’re crippled with the useless, overpaid, overentitled players who got you relegated.

The carpetbaggers are here to make money which I’d suggest means syphoning off any Prem dosh (if it happens). - and then flogging the club.

There are at least 15 clubs in the championship who probably believe they should be in the Prem. Town’s last two visits to the top division lasted 3 years and two years. There’s a geometric progression there that hints at the length of the next visit

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 13:33 - Sep 26 with 2224 viewsBondiBlue

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 13:25 - Sep 26 by ElephantintheRoom

Hmm. The real problem is getting back up before the Prem dosh runs out. Parachute payments usually mean you’re crippled with the useless, overpaid, overentitled players who got you relegated.

The carpetbaggers are here to make money which I’d suggest means syphoning off any Prem dosh (if it happens). - and then flogging the club.

There are at least 15 clubs in the championship who probably believe they should be in the Prem. Town’s last two visits to the top division lasted 3 years and two years. There’s a geometric progression there that hints at the length of the next visit

I'll ignore the more trolly elements of that and focus on when gamechanger will sell. If they are smart they'd do it at the point of maximum value, which will be when we're established in the prem. If they can make us sustainable while getting to that point then there's no rush. They're not going to sell the second we go up because they won't get that much for us - everyone will expect us to go straight back down with only 1 year's parachute money in the bank.

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 13:41 - Sep 26 with 2184 viewsExiled2Surrey

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 13:25 - Sep 26 by ElephantintheRoom

are you sure that is a geometric progression?
I think Brighton, Brentford, Palace and Fulham are quite enjoying it on 13:45 - Sep 26 with 2169 viewsunstableblue

Overall....

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 13:45 - Sep 26 with 2172 viewsPioneerBlue

Loads of good comments here. The gap is huge. And it’s not good.

There is no scene in a football model that requires full readjustment of squad on the way up and down. For players that got you there to be cast off means you are basically starting again unable to retain all the things that were good only to standstill then retain EPL status. For the players that take you down it’s all change too because their wages demands and the loss of income. Don’t get me started on parachute payments that follow in that direction!

Going from winning c28 games to winning only a handful of luck is pretty rubbish too!

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Controversial opinion....but The Premier League looks a rubbish experience on 13:53 - Sep 26 with 2159 viewsAsa

It's all contextual. Would you rather draw at Chelsea or win at Burton?

I hate quite a lot about what the Premier League is. I'm hypocritical though in the sense I love football so much I will consume everything that's on, including Sky and TNT and become another mug paying them to make the English pyramid worse and worse.

You take it for what it is now. The chance of any team doing what we did, what Derby did, what Forest did is now incredibly rare. You won't win the thing surely? At least that's what we all thought pre-Leicester.

People are going on about how you can't catch the Top 6. That was Chelsea until last season and they are right down there again after spending a billion.

But Brighton are in Europe. VIlla, after years in the Championship or Premier League lower reaches are back in Europe. Brentford are stable. Bournemouth and Fulham stayed up. We went up once in 2000 and almost reached the Champions League with a big gap then to the big boys.

I am not keen on the idea in a way of our 230,000 Twitter followers becoming 2.3m, knowing 90% of the 'fans' of the club will be new recruits from North America, Asia and Africa and have absolutely no connection to the club other than picking them on FIFA or deciding to support an underdogs. An inevitable by-product of being in the big league with all the coverage and exposure it gets.

Check any post of any recently promoted club and far more people you're sure don't go to games or even watch comment than people you'd imagine are there week in week out. The echo chambers they create are awful. But even now social media has a few idiots that shout louder than the sensible minds put together.

But there is no perfect place in football. For those not wanting to make the Premier League, the next best option is Championship stability. For years we had no chance of going up or down and look how boring that got. 8,000 at home on a Tuesday night laughing that the attendance was given as 12,000.

Everything is relative. If we go up into the Premier League and all that's bad about it then it's because we've had an incredible season of memories. If we stay up it'll be the same. If we go down we will all be desperate for the next bit of success after a season of misery.

You've got to have our lows to enjoy our highs. Thousands of people, with flares and drums, welcoming the coach for Exeter wasn't normal. It was the excitement caused by the starvation of anything to look forward to.

But as much as I dislike so many elements of the Premier League, I hated many things about the club rotting in the Championship, struggling in League One and being bullied by Barrow and Northampton and Wimbledon.

I can't see it would be any worse seeing some of the best players in the world and beating the odd world giant. At our Premier League worst we still beat United and Liverpool. Last time around we won again at Anfield, beat a star studded Inter Milan and went on a proper European tour.

I'll enjoy any relative success that Town have if enough time has passed since the last one. A League One promotion, Championship playoffs or surviving in the Premier League.

The Premier League? A necessary evil if we want the club to really succeed. Who knows. That European record could even get extended at some stage.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2023 14:00]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024