Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? 07:03 - Aug 1 with 11573 viewsKieran_Knows

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:25 - Aug 1 with 1118 viewsN2_Blue

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:10 - Aug 1 by Superfrans

Indeed, this. He is clearly looking for a project, a 2/3 year job to get his teeth into. And that's what we need. Hopefully, we can both benefit.

Absolutely. It is a project. Lambert was not brought in as a quick fix. Sure it was disappointing that there was no upturn in results when appointed but I think some people underestimate the mess we were in and even when performances improved we still found a way of not winning because we were so low on morale on and off pitch. Everything was a mess.

The project starts as of this season. Lambert needs to have us competing and we must be top 6 by Xmas and then hopefully we kick on in 2nd half of season as confidence and winning habit returns. Maybe there will be a painful playoff defeat end of season but I fully expect us to compete this season and for Lambert to get things going.

If he doesn’t well I think we are terminally broken as I don’t see anyone being able to make a success of this club under current regime so we need to continue to get behind him as most of the support has.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:27 - Aug 1 with 1112 viewsSuperfrans

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:25 - Aug 1 by N2_Blue

Absolutely. It is a project. Lambert was not brought in as a quick fix. Sure it was disappointing that there was no upturn in results when appointed but I think some people underestimate the mess we were in and even when performances improved we still found a way of not winning because we were so low on morale on and off pitch. Everything was a mess.

The project starts as of this season. Lambert needs to have us competing and we must be top 6 by Xmas and then hopefully we kick on in 2nd half of season as confidence and winning habit returns. Maybe there will be a painful playoff defeat end of season but I fully expect us to compete this season and for Lambert to get things going.

If he doesn’t well I think we are terminally broken as I don’t see anyone being able to make a success of this club under current regime so we need to continue to get behind him as most of the support has.

Me too. I also accept (however) that we may only have a point or two from our first couple of matches, given the players we have out and the fairly tough start - away to a recent Championship side and home to Sunderland.

But I'm hopeful/confident that we can get things moving by mid-September.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:27 - Aug 1 with 1101 viewsBluefish

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:19 - Aug 1 by Steve_M

I was genuinely hoping that some of the easy, fairly superficial things like that might have been improved over the Summer. Then again I thought we might be signing a defender or two.

I understand this from so of the bumpkins that never leave Suffolk but you are well travelled Steve. Surely you can see that the vast majority of football stadiums are in similar states? Not even just the older grounds either but when in drive past Col U recently their roof was dirty too. When we go to other older grounds we say the disrepair add charm and a throwback to older days. When it is out ground we say it is a disgrace and go on about it more than our lack of league points.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:36 - Aug 1 with 1095 viewsBrixtonBlue

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:58 - Aug 1 by homer_123

His record last season, on the pitch, would normally mean he'd be out of a job with us already.

We need to hit the ground running.

Which would be ridiculous given the short amount of time he's been here. Football supporters (and most owners) have so little patience these days.

As someone else said, this is a big job. We need to give him time.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:36 - Aug 1 with 1102 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Without wanting to reluctantly drag Mick into this, whether you agree with me or not, I always felt that Mick was very much about his reputation short term, the opposite to what Lambert says.

It always felt like we were papering over the cracks. Brining in loans that would take us from 18th to 12th but who would then leave us having developed and not progressing our own players that we could then sell and use the funds (Marcus willing) to improve the team so 12th off our own backs, if that makes sense.

Mick was naturally defensive. He'd play for a draw and hope for a win. I think he was like that with the squad. Don't be in the relegation battle first and hope for better. Which is why there was very little long term planning.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:41 - Aug 1 with 1071 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:36 - Aug 1 by BrixtonBlue

Which would be ridiculous given the short amount of time he's been here. Football supporters (and most owners) have so little patience these days.

As I have pointed out before, George Burley's record in the second half of the 1994-95 season was no better than the first half of the season before he was appointed.

We then gave him a number of years of missing out on promotion to build a team that took the Premier League by storm.

Anyone expecting Lambert to come in last season in those circumstances and turn the ship around is deluded.

But look at how we held West Brom, Bristol City and Derby - all going for promotion - late in the season and were the better side in some of those games. There was a huge improvement in performances, we just couldn't get wins.

I think we are in for a really good season.

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:43 - Aug 1 with 1055 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:36 - Aug 1 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Without wanting to reluctantly drag Mick into this, whether you agree with me or not, I always felt that Mick was very much about his reputation short term, the opposite to what Lambert says.

It always felt like we were papering over the cracks. Brining in loans that would take us from 18th to 12th but who would then leave us having developed and not progressing our own players that we could then sell and use the funds (Marcus willing) to improve the team so 12th off our own backs, if that makes sense.

Mick was naturally defensive. He'd play for a draw and hope for a win. I think he was like that with the squad. Don't be in the relegation battle first and hope for better. Which is why there was very little long term planning.

Thank god we now have a manager of whom the 12 players they have signed since being in charge, only 7 1/2* of them have been short term, then...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:44 - Aug 1 with 1051 viewsKeaneish

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:33 - Aug 1 by homer_123

To be honest, there isn't anything there we didn't already know.

True. Consolidating it all in one article in the public domain is good though. It crystallises where we're at ahead of the dawn of a new season. Its now a yard stick for PL and the club to improve from here on in.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Login to get fewer ads

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:45 - Aug 1 with 1049 viewsSuperfrans

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:43 - Aug 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Thank god we now have a manager of whom the 12 players they have signed since being in charge, only 7 1/2* of them have been short term, then...

Would you have preferred that we signed lots of permanent players in January, not knowing which division we would be in this season? That would have been sensible.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:48 - Aug 1 with 1042 viewsSteve_M

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:36 - Aug 1 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Which of our own players should we have developed under McCarthy that we didn't and who was blocking them?

There's an argument for Jack Marriott definitely but that wasn't totally obvious at the time he went to Luton.

Mick worked with the budget he was given and tried to maximise our results under it, barring one season he over-performed the budget every season. That was his job.

One can certainly argue, and I would agree, that that does nothing for the over all sense of direction at the club but, as the years when MM wasn't here shows, that is not his failing, it's been the case throughout Evans' ownership and continues to be now under Lambert.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:51 - Aug 1 with 1022 viewsCheltenham_Blue

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 08:19 - Aug 1 by Steve_M

I was genuinely hoping that some of the easy, fairly superficial things like that might have been improved over the Summer. Then again I thought we might be signing a defender or two.

This is where Evans gets everything all wrong in my opinion. Stuff like that he'll put out to tender, get quotes in, go through a references process before finally choosing a 'preferred' bid.

Where in actual fact, there are people sat around inside PR who bleed Blue and White who if you stuck a paintbrush and a pot of blue gloss in their hands, would do a good job on things like that.

Evans needs to stop seeing all aspects of running a football club as a traditional business. Thats why nothing gets done in the 6-8 weeks over the summer when all your stadium management should be done.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:53 - Aug 1 with 1010 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:45 - Aug 1 by Superfrans

Would you have preferred that we signed lots of permanent players in January, not knowing which division we would be in this season? That would have been sensible.

In January, either:

1) Lambert was trying to keep us up and made lots of short term signings to try and achieve this, in which case he failed miserably

Or

2) We were resigned to relegation and therefore should have been planning for League One, in which case making 7 short term signings was ridiculous

Listening to most on here Lambert is excused for last season as there was no chance of keeping us up, but is also held up as being someone that has been trying to develop the club long term, seemingly based on nothing more than some lovely comments in the press

That also doesn’t explain this Summer’s business, during which half of our proper signings have been loans - with more likely to come

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:54 - Aug 1 with 1011 viewsitfcjoe

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:51 - Aug 1 by Cheltenham_Blue

This is where Evans gets everything all wrong in my opinion. Stuff like that he'll put out to tender, get quotes in, go through a references process before finally choosing a 'preferred' bid.

Where in actual fact, there are people sat around inside PR who bleed Blue and White who if you stuck a paintbrush and a pot of blue gloss in their hands, would do a good job on things like that.

Evans needs to stop seeing all aspects of running a football club as a traditional business. Thats why nothing gets done in the 6-8 weeks over the summer when all your stadium management should be done.

It would help if he did run it as a traditional business, with a figure head running it full time rather than as a part time hobby.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:55 - Aug 1 with 992 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:41 - Aug 1 by WarkTheWarkITFC

As I have pointed out before, George Burley's record in the second half of the 1994-95 season was no better than the first half of the season before he was appointed.

We then gave him a number of years of missing out on promotion to build a team that took the Premier League by storm.

Anyone expecting Lambert to come in last season in those circumstances and turn the ship around is deluded.

But look at how we held West Brom, Bristol City and Derby - all going for promotion - late in the season and were the better side in some of those games. There was a huge improvement in performances, we just couldn't get wins.

That’s changed my mind actually. I for one can’t wait until Lambert finally takes us back to the Championship in the 2023/24 season

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:06 - Aug 1 with 959 viewshomer_123

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:41 - Aug 1 by WarkTheWarkITFC

You think he was hired to get us relegated?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:07 - Aug 1 with 959 viewsmonty_radio

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:21 - Aug 1 by RegencyBlue

Of course he's covering his own back. With a boss like Evans so would I!

Its pretty clear its not just the fans who have noticed how things have declined under the Evans regime and thankfully we finally have a manager who has come out and said it openly!

No doubt the Evans apologists will blame everything on Lambert if the season goes wrong but there has been one common denominator in this sorry mess the club has become and the buck should stop with him!

I can't see how the non-engagement of Marcus means that PL needs to watch his back. If he feels a threat it's more to his own long-term reputation as a fixer if he finds himself tied to yet another sinking ship.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:09 - Aug 1 with 949 viewshomer_123

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:36 - Aug 1 by BrixtonBlue

Not sure why you have down voted. I'm not 'suggesting' he should have been shown the door.

Merely pointing out that his record, over a longer period than Hurst, was just as bad (on the pitch).

Also, as much as he's saying that he needs thre or four transfer windows to make this his team and that it's a big job etc. do you think he would have said to Evans - 'I can't keep Town up. So we'll work long term on the basis of relegation and build from there.'.

Clearly not - he would have been hired first and foremost to keep us in the Championship, as Lambert himself has clearly stated today, having more money makes a huge difference.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:15 - Aug 1 with 928 viewsjudespiveyg

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:48 - Aug 1 by Steve_M

Which of our own players should we have developed under McCarthy that we didn't and who was blocking them?

There's an argument for Jack Marriott definitely but that wasn't totally obvious at the time he went to Luton.

Mick worked with the budget he was given and tried to maximise our results under it, barring one season he over-performed the budget every season. That was his job.

One can certainly argue, and I would agree, that that does nothing for the over all sense of direction at the club but, as the years when MM wasn't here shows, that is not his failing, it's been the case throughout Evans' ownership and continues to be now under Lambert.

Douglas over Dozzell in 16/17
Gleeson over Downes or Nydam in 17/18

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:29 - Aug 1 with 891 viewsBrixtonBlue

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:09 - Aug 1 by homer_123

Not sure why you have down voted. I'm not 'suggesting' he should have been shown the door.

Merely pointing out that his record, over a longer period than Hurst, was just as bad (on the pitch).

Also, as much as he's saying that he needs thre or four transfer windows to make this his team and that it's a big job etc. do you think he would have said to Evans - 'I can't keep Town up. So we'll work long term on the basis of relegation and build from there.'.

Clearly not - he would have been hired first and foremost to keep us in the Championship, as Lambert himself has clearly stated today, having more money makes a huge difference.

I was more downvoting the notion that he should be relieved of his duties, rather than downvoting you per se (as I didn't know if you agreed with it or not). And I wanted to counter your 3 upvoters - again because I think it's a ridiculous notion.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:31 - Aug 1 with 891 viewsSteve_M

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:15 - Aug 1 by judespiveyg

Gleeson hardly played and Nydam and Downes played regualrly throughout that season.

Was Dozzell ready to play first team matches in 16/17? Other than the Bristol City match in December 2016 he struggled to make an impact most of the time.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:33 - Aug 1 with 876 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:15 - Aug 1 by judespiveyg

Dozzell was 17 in 2016/17 and has consistently struggled to impose himself at Championship level

McCarthy started Gleeson 5 times

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:34 - Aug 1 with 880 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:06 - Aug 1 by homer_123

You think he was hired to get us relegated?

Do you think that any manager who had the ability to keep us up last season when Hurst was sacked would have actually taken the job? Moronic comment.

We were a team on one of the smallest budgets, with an almost entirely new squad of players not good enough, bereft of confidence and with plenty of injuries.

Exactly which realistic manager would you have hired to come in and turn ALL of that around?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:46 - Aug 1 with 845 viewshaynes_toe1

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:34 - Aug 1 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Do you think that any manager who had the ability to keep us up last season when Hurst was sacked would have actually taken the job? Moronic comment.

We were a team on one of the smallest budgets, with an almost entirely new squad of players not good enough, bereft of confidence and with plenty of injuries.

Exactly which realistic manager would you have hired to come in and turn ALL of that around?

Well I'm not sure who could have definitely saved us but most managers could have at least matched Lamberts awful record last season.

The point is he literally improved next to nothing results wise. Actually, he was worse. And results are the most important aspect
What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:49 - Aug 1 with 839 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

In 2017-18 we finished 12th. From early on in that season we were not going up or going down. Argue all your want about March when we drew 0-0 with Sheffield United and lost to Hull City, but we needed to win both and hope results went our way and we'd have still been well outside the playoffs.

I think that season perfectly highlights what Mick was like. When we were 6th or 7th or 20th or 21st then I understand playing purely for results. But when the season is coming to a conclusion and you can't do anything it's telling.

Look at the players who played a number of games for us. Celina 38, Connolly 34, Iorfa 25, Carter-Vickers 17. All loan players that we gave game time to ahead of our own. Where are they now? All steady Championship players, when we were a steady Championship club.

At the same time, Folami 5, Woolfenden 4, Bishop 4 (injured for most), Morris 4, Rowe 3, McDonnell 3, Cotter 2, McLoughlin 2, Webber 1, Smith 1, Fowler 1, Dozzell 1 (injured after first game), Patterson 1.

In that season Carayol played 8 times, Gleeson 10 times after both were brought in at Christmas, when we knew we probably wouldn't be leaving the division. Neither was ultimately kept on.

That was Mick all over. Good old pro's, loaning in other clubs youngsters who were a little ahead of our own and doing the best he could for that season, with no eye on the next one.

A lot of those kids appearances were after Mick left or as he was on the cusp. Could anyone say Woolfenden or Morris or Folami did any worse than Gleeson or Carayol?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:52 - Aug 1 with 833 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:46 - Aug 1 by haynes_toe1

Well I'm not sure who could have definitely saved us but most managers could have at least matched Lamberts awful record last season.

The point is he literally improved next to nothing results wise. Actually, he was worse. And results are the most important aspect

He improved performances, improved team spirit, improved the atmosphere and improved the relationship between the club and the fans.

Most importantly he ensured that going into this season we are one of the favourites to go up having kept pretty much our entire squad, which literally never happens when a club goes down.

We've added a couple of decent players, lost nobody really aside from Bart, the team spirit is great, the feeling around the club is largely positive. That's a miracle for a team that has been relegated after years of stagnation!

Nobody would have kept us up. That was Lambert's mission impossible which he didn't complete. But to his credit he's done everything you'd ever want (with the budget he's been allowed) to prepare our right for the best chance of an immediate return.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024