Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? 07:03 - Aug 1 with 11570 viewsKieran_Knows

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:53 - Aug 1 with 954 viewsPJH

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:34 - Aug 1 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Do you think that any manager who had the ability to keep us up last season when Hurst was sacked would have actually taken the job? Moronic comment.

We were a team on one of the smallest budgets, with an almost entirely new squad of players not good enough, bereft of confidence and with plenty of injuries.

Exactly which realistic manager would you have hired to come in and turn ALL of that around?

So you think that Lambert came in thinking that he had no chance of keeping us up?

If that was the case he should not have taken the job and left it for someone that believed that they could save us.

Plenty would have thought that they could accumulate about 45 points from 31 games and several would probably have done it.
What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 11:02 - Aug 1 with 931 viewsSteve_M

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:53 - Aug 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

In January, either:

1) Lambert was trying to keep us up and made lots of short term signings to try and achieve this, in which case he failed miserably

Or

2) We were resigned to relegation and therefore should have been planning for League One, in which case making 7 short term signings was ridiculous

Listening to most on here Lambert is excused for last season as there was no chance of keeping us up, but is also held up as being someone that has been trying to develop the club long term, seemingly based on nothing more than some lovely comments in the press

That also doesn’t explain this Summer’s business, during which half of our proper signings have been loans - with more likely to come

Actually it was somewhere between those two, make a (n expensive) token effort to keep us up but we didn't bring in players good enough to change things quickly enough.

I do think that blaming Lambert for relegation is akin to blaming Burley for 94-95, both might have done better in the time they had but each inherited an utter mess of a squad and club being poorly run. Burley obviously turned things round but that doesn't mean that Lambert will.

I don't doubt that PL does want to improve the whole running of the club but I doubt it will happen because a) he probably won't be here long enough and b) Evans is still micro-managing and cost cutting and c) the club still lacks any strategic direction.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 11:04 - Aug 1 with 929 viewsitfcjoe

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:49 - Aug 1 by WarkTheWarkITFC

In 2017-18 we finished 12th. From early on in that season we were not going up or going down. Argue all your want about March when we drew 0-0 with Sheffield United and lost to Hull City, but we needed to win both and hope results went our way and we'd have still been well outside the playoffs.

I think that season perfectly highlights what Mick was like. When we were 6th or 7th or 20th or 21st then I understand playing purely for results. But when the season is coming to a conclusion and you can't do anything it's telling.

Look at the players who played a number of games for us. Celina 38, Connolly 34, Iorfa 25, Carter-Vickers 17. All loan players that we gave game time to ahead of our own. Where are they now? All steady Championship players, when we were a steady Championship club.

At the same time, Folami 5, Woolfenden 4, Bishop 4 (injured for most), Morris 4, Rowe 3, McDonnell 3, Cotter 2, McLoughlin 2, Webber 1, Smith 1, Fowler 1, Dozzell 1 (injured after first game), Patterson 1.

In that season Carayol played 8 times, Gleeson 10 times after both were brought in at Christmas, when we knew we probably wouldn't be leaving the division. Neither was ultimately kept on.

That was Mick all over. Good old pro's, loaning in other clubs youngsters who were a little ahead of our own and doing the best he could for that season, with no eye on the next one.

A lot of those kids appearances were after Mick left or as he was on the cusp. Could anyone say Woolfenden or Morris or Folami did any worse than Gleeson or Carayol?

I'm sorry but this just massively underestimates the job Mick done and is very selective - the loanees brought in were of a higher calibre than what we had and because Mick left we have no idea whether he would have looked to sign them - Callum Connolly would likely have been signed from what I hear.

CCV replaced Tommy Smith, we couldn't have gone in with Woolfenden at that point in reality we were in the top 10 still.

Mick may not have done it in the prettiest way, but he got the most out of what we had, dealt well in the transfer market and gave the kids more opportunities than he is given credit for in the latter part of his tenure - there is no need to rewrite history to deny this.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 11:06 - Aug 1 with 916 viewsKieran_Knows

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 11:04 - Aug 1 by itfcjoe

I'm sorry but this just massively underestimates the job Mick done and is very selective - the loanees brought in were of a higher calibre than what we had and because Mick left we have no idea whether he would have looked to sign them - Callum Connolly would likely have been signed from what I hear.

CCV replaced Tommy Smith, we couldn't have gone in with Woolfenden at that point in reality we were in the top 10 still.

Mick may not have done it in the prettiest way, but he got the most out of what we had, dealt well in the transfer market and gave the kids more opportunities than he is given credit for in the latter part of his tenure - there is no need to rewrite history to deny this.

I had heard that Dave Bowman had lined up a permanent deal for Callum Connolly last summer and that all was left was for Hurst to say 'yes' and he would've joined.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 11:09 - Aug 1 with 905 viewsitfcjoe

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 11:06 - Aug 1 by Kieran_Knows

I had heard that Dave Bowman had lined up a permanent deal for Callum Connolly last summer and that all was left was for Hurst to say 'yes' and he would've joined.

I think the deal may even have been lined up before Hurst was, but Evans too slow to pull the trigger - price went up after his England duties.

Not sure on exact timings though

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 11:20 - Aug 1 with 863 viewshaynes_toe1

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:52 - Aug 1 by WarkTheWarkITFC

He improved performances, improved team spirit, improved the atmosphere and improved the relationship between the club and the fans.

Most importantly he ensured that going into this season we are one of the favourites to go up having kept pretty much our entire squad, which literally never happens when a club goes down.

We've added a couple of decent players, lost nobody really aside from Bart, the team spirit is great, the feeling around the club is largely positive. That's a miracle for a team that has been relegated after years of stagnation!

Nobody would have kept us up. That was Lambert's mission impossible which he didn't complete. But to his credit he's done everything you'd ever want (with the budget he's been allowed) to prepare our right for the best chance of an immediate return.

Hang on...

We kept hold of players because no one really wanted them. Apart from Judge, who wants to go and Bart who has gone.

They underperformed to such a point that no club really sees them worth taking a punt on. Lambert got us moving the ball a bit better but there was no massive improvement on performances and that showed in results and the fact we put up next to no fight in staying up.

Lambert rightfully has an opportunity still this season but let's not pretend hes done anything more than just say what fans want to hear. Even that's only had such a dramatic ott effect because Mick dealt in facts rather than fan friendly soundbites.

Hes not shown to be even remotely close to Micks level.of management and yet and at the end of the day the whole point of sacking a manager is to move onto something better.
What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 11:26 - Aug 1 with 851 viewshomer_123

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:52 - Aug 1 by WarkTheWarkITFC

He improved performances, improved team spirit, improved the atmosphere and improved the relationship between the club and the fans.

Most importantly he ensured that going into this season we are one of the favourites to go up having kept pretty much our entire squad, which literally never happens when a club goes down.

We've added a couple of decent players, lost nobody really aside from Bart, the team spirit is great, the feeling around the club is largely positive. That's a miracle for a team that has been relegated after years of stagnation!

Nobody would have kept us up. That was Lambert's mission impossible which he didn't complete. But to his credit he's done everything you'd ever want (with the budget he's been allowed) to prepare our right for the best chance of an immediate return.

'He improved performances' - marginally at best!

His number one task when taking over the reigns was to avoid relegation - he had 'plenty' of time to achieve that - he wasn't even close, not remotely.

As an aside - his work off the pitch is laudable, as I have stated many times, and that's great and stands us good stead going forward.

But his overall rebuilding job would have been easier had we stayed up.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 11:28 - Aug 1 with 846 viewsSuperfrans

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 09:53 - Aug 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

In January, either:

1) Lambert was trying to keep us up and made lots of short term signings to try and achieve this, in which case he failed miserably

Or

2) We were resigned to relegation and therefore should have been planning for League One, in which case making 7 short term signings was ridiculous

Listening to most on here Lambert is excused for last season as there was no chance of keeping us up, but is also held up as being someone that has been trying to develop the club long term, seemingly based on nothing more than some lovely comments in the press

That also doesn’t explain this Summer’s business, during which half of our proper signings have been loans - with more likely to come

The vast majority of Lambert's signings were in January. You wish they weren't loans.
I simply asked whether you felt we should have signed players on permanent deals at that point.

IMHO it would have been nuts to do so.

Fact is, by January we were so far adrift we ere fighting a losing battle to stay up - we were never going to get the calibre of player in to save us by that stage - as evidenced by those who did come in, players who were not quite good enough (Quaner), injury prone Keane) etc.

Before that, Lambert was left playing with the deck he had been dealt - a string of players who were clearly not good enough for Championship en masse.

I'm not blown away by this summer's transfer activity at all. But we have got in a proven striker and have shaken up our keeper options. Would I like to see more experience through the door? Of course. But I'd also like to see some of our kids get a chance, which is clearly going to happen and which many of our fans have been crying out for for some time.

It seems to me that many of our fans are getting in their moans now, in case we have a poor start to the season, rather than getting behind the manager and team, backing them both and looking forward to the challenge.

I'm sticking with the manager and continuing to support him, because I don't feel he had much chance to save us last season - and because sticking with managers is what we do at Ipswich Town.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Login to get fewer ads

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 11:29 - Aug 1 with 839 viewshomer_123

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:34 - Aug 1 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Do you think that any manager who had the ability to keep us up last season when Hurst was sacked would have actually taken the job? Moronic comment.

We were a team on one of the smallest budgets, with an almost entirely new squad of players not good enough, bereft of confidence and with plenty of injuries.

Exactly which realistic manager would you have hired to come in and turn ALL of that around?

So we appointed a manager who was incapable to keeping us up then, by your own thought process. Wow.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 11:47 - Aug 1 with 815 viewsdirtyboy

PL knew the reason we changed from MM was because it was boring to watch and had to change that.

Yes we got relegated, yes the record under PL was poor....but....

Keane and Quaner were not as prolific as any of us hoped they would be at that level and ultimately, that inability to score was what let us down. Possession was up, the football was nicer on the eye, just lacked that one ingredient....goals.

Sears got injured in the Norwich game, we then drew 6 of the next 7 games 1-1....many of those we were desperately unlucky in, but we were certainly a huge improvement to watch.

Obviously he'd have wanted to avoid relegation though, but the fans were very aware of something different happening at PR and lots needed to change, which takes time.

Let's see what happens, but it feels different to MM and it looks a whole lot better than Hurst.
What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 11:53 - Aug 1 with 797 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 11:28 - Aug 1 by Superfrans

The vast majority of Lambert's signings were in January. You wish they weren't loans.
I simply asked whether you felt we should have signed players on permanent deals at that point.

IMHO it would have been nuts to do so.

Fact is, by January we were so far adrift we ere fighting a losing battle to stay up - we were never going to get the calibre of player in to save us by that stage - as evidenced by those who did come in, players who were not quite good enough (Quaner), injury prone Keane) etc.

Before that, Lambert was left playing with the deck he had been dealt - a string of players who were clearly not good enough for Championship en masse.

I'm not blown away by this summer's transfer activity at all. But we have got in a proven striker and have shaken up our keeper options. Would I like to see more experience through the door? Of course. But I'd also like to see some of our kids get a chance, which is clearly going to happen and which many of our fans have been crying out for for some time.

It seems to me that many of our fans are getting in their moans now, in case we have a poor start to the season, rather than getting behind the manager and team, backing them both and looking forward to the challenge.

I'm sticking with the manager and continuing to support him, because I don't feel he had much chance to save us last season - and because sticking with managers is what we do at Ipswich Town.

7 were in January and 5 so far this Summer - that’s not the vast majority I’m afraid

Your third paragraph sums up my point. If we were never going to get the calibre of player to stay up then why make 7 short term signings that weren’t of the required calibre? You can’t have it both ways

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 11:58 - Aug 1 with 793 viewsPhilTWTD

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 11:09 - Aug 1 by itfcjoe

I think the deal may even have been lined up before Hurst was, but Evans too slow to pull the trigger - price went up after his England duties.

Not sure on exact timings though

Doesn't sound unlikely, no deals were going to be done before a new manager was appointed. And ultimately PH didn't put much (any?) faith in DB.
What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 12:08 - Aug 1 with 762 viewsSuperfrans

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 11:53 - Aug 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

7 were in January and 5 so far this Summer - that’s not the vast majority I’m afraid

Your third paragraph sums up my point. If we were never going to get the calibre of player to stay up then why make 7 short term signings that weren’t of the required calibre? You can’t have it both ways

You'd have given up in January? Surely signing a handful of loanees, to do the best we could to stay up, was the right strategy, even if we knew it was odds against? These things aren't black and white.

We've signed two loanees this summer - Norris and Garbutt. Both are out of contract at their parent club's next summer.
Holy, Norwood and Przybek are all permanents.

In January, we signed Elder, Bree, Quaner and Keane on loan. That's twice as many as this summer.

Have I missed any out?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 12:13 - Aug 1 with 749 viewsBrixtonBlue

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 10:53 - Aug 1 by PJH

So you think that Lambert came in thinking that he had no chance of keeping us up?

If that was the case he should not have taken the job and left it for someone that believed that they could save us.

Plenty would have thought that they could accumulate about 45 points from 31 games and several would probably have done it.

Of course he didn't think that and nobody has said he would. Why are you being so silly?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 12:15 - Aug 1 with 737 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 12:08 - Aug 1 by Superfrans

You'd have given up in January? Surely signing a handful of loanees, to do the best we could to stay up, was the right strategy, even if we knew it was odds against? These things aren't black and white.

We've signed two loanees this summer - Norris and Garbutt. Both are out of contract at their parent club's next summer.
Holy, Norwood and Przybek are all permanents.

In January, we signed Elder, Bree, Quaner and Keane on loan. That's twice as many as this summer.

Have I missed any out?

No, I think we had the ability to stay up from where we were in January, and that Lambert failed miserably at that challenge

We’re only halfway through this window - and it seems somewhat likely that further loans will be forthcoming

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 12:38 - Aug 1 with 710 viewsBrixtonBlue

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 12:15 - Aug 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

No, I think we had the ability to stay up from where we were in January, and that Lambert failed miserably at that challenge

We’re only halfway through this window - and it seems somewhat likely that further loans will be forthcoming

What, from our fabulous performances before Lambert came in, inspired you to think we had the ability to stay up?

Your second point is pure guesswork.

I've noticed something about your posting style - it removes all context. I've explained how 2 of the 3 loans so far probably weren't intended - but things changed because of Bart. That context doesn't interest you though, as it doesn't in most of what you post.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 13:34 - Aug 1 with 674 viewsPJH

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 12:13 - Aug 1 by BrixtonBlue

Of course he didn't think that and nobody has said he would. Why are you being so silly?

Not sure how I am being silly.

The person that I was replying to seemed to be suggesting that nobody would have kept us up and in fact in another post they actually posted those very words.

I was saying that we could have been saved, although more likely with a more pragmatic approach than that used by PL.

I also read the post that I was replying to as them saying that PL came in not believing that he could keep us up so hence my reply.
Perhaps I misinterpreted the post I replied to but there can be no misinterpretation of them saying in another post that "nobody would have kept us up".
What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 13:43 - Aug 1 with 656 viewsBrixtonBlue

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 13:34 - Aug 1 by PJH

Not sure how I am being silly.

The person that I was replying to seemed to be suggesting that nobody would have kept us up and in fact in another post they actually posted those very words.

I was saying that we could have been saved, although more likely with a more pragmatic approach than that used by PL.

I also read the post that I was replying to as them saying that PL came in not believing that he could keep us up so hence my reply.
Perhaps I misinterpreted the post I replied to but there can be no misinterpretation of them saying in another post that "nobody would have kept us up".

Saying nobody would've kept us up is very different from Lambert coming in thinking that he had no chance. Of course he had a chance. And of course he'd THINK he had a chance.

The suggestion that anyone thinks he thought he had no chance is what's silly.

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 13:44 - Aug 1 with 653 viewsBrixtonBlue

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 11:29 - Aug 1 by homer_123

So we appointed a manager who was incapable to keeping us up then, by your own thought process. Wow.

Another silly poster.

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 14:40 - Aug 1 with 622 viewsMach_foreignBlue

In January, either:

Or

With more loans likely to come....... and you're going to use that against Lambert aren't you? Just because it suits you. The fact that he may have no choice just to get more loans seems irrelevant to you.

You select what you want just to snipe at him.
What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 14:42 - Aug 1 with 623 viewsSuperfrans

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 12:15 - Aug 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

So, just to summarise:
> we did bring in far more loanees in January? (I'm talking about current fact, rather than a speculative future)
> you don't think we should have signed more permanents, less loans in January?

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 14:47 - Aug 1 with 604 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 14:42 - Aug 1 by Superfrans

So, just to summarise:
> we did bring in far more loanees in January? (I'm talking about current fact, rather than a speculative future)
> you don't think we should have signed more permanents, less loans in January?

2 more loans isn’t ‘far more’, so no. It is also relevant to note that this window isn’t closed yet

I think we did the right thing getting in short term players to try and stay up in January - however acknowledging that means that the outcome of us finishing bottom and being relegated with a month of the season to spare has to be deemed a failure

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 14:50 - Aug 1 with 603 viewsSuperfrans

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 14:47 - Aug 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

2 more loans isn’t ‘far more’, so no. It is also relevant to note that this window isn’t closed yet

I think we did the right thing getting in short term players to try and stay up in January - however acknowledging that means that the outcome of us finishing bottom and being relegated with a month of the season to spare has to be deemed a failure

2 more loans is double the current total.

Thanks for clarification on the second point - not that hindsight was part of the original question.

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 14:54 - Aug 1 with 585 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 12:38 - Aug 1 by BrixtonBlue

What, from our fabulous performances before Lambert came in, inspired you to think we had the ability to stay up?

Your second point is pure guesswork.

I've noticed something about your posting style - it removes all context. I've explained how 2 of the 3 loans so far probably weren't intended - but things changed because of Bart. That context doesn't interest you though, as it doesn't in most of what you post.

We had clearly been poor however we did win 3 games prior to Lambert taking the job, weren’t too far adrift and had a manageable run of games ahead - so I don’t think it was unfeasible that we could have survived. Tend to agree with PJH that a more pragmatic approach would have yielded better results than 4 wins from 32

Seemingly Lambert also agrees, seeing it was under him that we made 7 short term signings in January. Presumably you must think that was an awful decision though as we had no chance of survival?

You can use context as an excuse for any loan - we needed to bring in several players quickly as the window closed last year due to our sh*t start for example, or to get better players than we could afford under McCarthy. Fact is Lambert arrived and made a big song and dance about not bringing in loanees and building short term, yet there doesn’t appear to be any noticeable change in approach

Thanks for pointing out that you’ve explained things though. Maybe I just disagree with you?
[Post edited 1 Aug 2019 15:41]

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 14:55 - Aug 1 with 580 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

What do we make of this interview with Lambert then? on 14:50 - Aug 1 by Superfrans

2 more loans is double the current total.

Thanks for clarification on the second point - not that hindsight was part of the original question.

That still doesn’t make 2 ‘far more’ though, does it?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024