Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What on earth is wrong with Southgate? 12:46 - Jun 13 with 4910 viewsmylittletown

A right back at left back, when Shaw has been in storming form. Grealish not picked when Sterling has been hopelessly out of form, two holding midfielders when that system has been proven not to work time after time.
What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 12:48 - Jun 13 with 3438 viewsWD19

Yeah, but he ‘gets it’.
What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 13:17 - Jun 13 with 3312 viewsFtnfwest

The social message and all that is far more important
What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 13:18 - Jun 13 with 3304 viewsCheltenham_Blue

"the difference in international football from Premier league football is, how to win a football match, its not about picking your best players.......its about picking a balance of a side that is going to get you a result"

"....because when we drop somebody, or play somebody in a different position, we're on the case straight away. Why? Why? Why?....."

"..and we never, ever, ever learn"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p02191f7

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 13:38 - Jun 13 with 3175 viewsRobTheMonk

Are Shaw and Chilwell injured?!
[Post edited 13 Jun 2021 13:38]
What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 13:40 - Jun 13 with 3151 viewsMullet

Having Grealish on the bench is a nice problem to have. Bringing him off the bench is a good weapon to have and he will likely start a game.

This team won’t finish the tournament either. Croatia’s midfield is excellent too, so starting at home against that doesn’t really allow for being too gung ho. Get out of the group and we won’t need to worry about tinkering either.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 13:51 - Jun 13 with 3092 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 14:10 - Jun 13 with 3023 viewsPendejo

Couldn't comment on Shaw's form but I did watch CL final and Chilwell was superb... But I guess winning La Liga with Athletico trumps a one off cup match even if out of position...

As for Sterling, as they say in the world of financial advising past performance no guarantee of future gains (aka performance).

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 14:11 - Jun 13 with 3008 viewsSwailsey

Seems to be working okay so far!

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Login to get fewer ads

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 14:19 - Jun 13 with 2994 viewsquirkie

Croatia look like a side that even Scotland will have no problems against.

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 14:37 - Jun 13 with 2910 viewsSwansea_Blue

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 14:19 - Jun 13 by quirkie

Croatia look like a side that even Scotland will have no problems against.

They've woken up a bit now. They've certainly got the quality to cause most teams damage once they get a bit of control.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 15:34 - Jun 13 with 2788 viewsjeera

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 13:17 - Jun 13 by Ftnfwest

The social message and all that is far more important

It is good that we have a national manager who is saying the right things off the field as well as on isn't it.

Good stuff indeed.

Even better being a goal up.

So far anyway, before I jinx it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 16:17 - Jun 13 with 2699 viewsRyorry

As Manager, he's won England's opening game in the Euros for the first time ever - that's 50 years. How terribly un-English of him.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 16:23 - Jun 13 with 2675 viewsmylittletown

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 15:34 - Jun 13 by jeera

It is good that we have a national manager who is saying the right things off the field as well as on isn't it.

Good stuff indeed.

Even better being a goal up.

So far anyway, before I jinx it.

Well to be fair, Sterling did well. Kalvin Phillips wasn't playing as a holding midfielder and was MoM. Croatia didn't have enough to prove the Trippier decision either way.
What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 16:25 - Jun 13 with 2660 viewsBloomBlue

They won the game that proves he picked the right team/right tactics. First England manager to win their first game in the Euro's, it was clearly the other managers who picked the wrong team/wrong tactics
What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 16:36 - Jun 13 with 2632 viewsmikeybloo88

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 16:23 - Jun 13 by mylittletown

Well to be fair, Sterling did well. Kalvin Phillips wasn't playing as a holding midfielder and was MoM. Croatia didn't have enough to prove the Trippier decision either way.

Personally I bought Trippier was poor...it was pretty obvious on occasion that not having a left footed player squandered a few attacking opportunities as he ha to check back. I also thought he missed a few tackles and got done a few times. Walker wasn't much better.
What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 16:41 - Jun 13 with 2601 viewsjeera

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 16:23 - Jun 13 by mylittletown

So the side he picked did ok against the side we were playing.

Doesn't matter how it's worded.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 16:58 - Jun 13 with 2530 viewsBlueBadger

Ah, another hot take that has seen out the test of time.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 17:10 - Jun 13 with 2484 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

This thread aged well.

Excellent tactics by Southgate.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 17:53 - Jun 13 with 2378 viewsStewart27

Southgate did a tactical number on the World Cup finalists.

I was so hoping he proved me wrong and he did.
What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 18:25 - Jun 13 with 2299 viewsnoggin

Sterling though.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 18:31 - Jun 13 with 2267 viewsm14_blue

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 17:53 - Jun 13 by Stewart27

Southgate did a tactical number on the World Cup finalists.

I was so hoping he proved me wrong and he did.

Yep, have to say I was baffled by some of the selections but they pretty much all worked out.

Keep it up Gareth!
What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 19:49 - Jun 13 with 2108 viewsChurchman

I thought England did ok. Croatia are slightly over the hill as a team which helped, but they won their first game for the first time since goodness knows when. Thought the younger players looked good. I was pleased to see Mings do well too. One in the eye for the ghastly ‘pundits’ (hasbeens) who only recognise players from the big clubs.

Trippier was ordinary, as was Walker for me. As for Stirling I thought he was back to his facial grimacing, ineffective, backwards and sideways worst…..until he scored and won the game. Doh! Mount and Foden are clearly going to be top players and I thought the Leeds lad Phillips was excellent. Man of the match.

I can’t abide Grealish, but I hope he plays at some point. I think he is another that could cause problems for the opposition.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2021 19:50]
What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 19:50 - Jun 13 with 2096 viewsSpruceMoose

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 19:49 - Jun 13 by Churchman

I thought England did ok. Croatia are slightly over the hill as a team which helped, but they won their first game for the first time since goodness knows when. Thought the younger players looked good. I was pleased to see Mings do well too. One in the eye for the ghastly ‘pundits’ (hasbeens) who only recognise players from the big clubs.

Trippier was ordinary, as was Walker for me. As for Stirling I thought he was back to his facial grimacing, ineffective, backwards and sideways worst…..until he scored and won the game. Doh! Mount and Foden are clearly going to be top players and I thought the Leeds lad Phillips was excellent. Man of the match.

I can’t abide Grealish, but I hope he plays at some point. I think he is another that could cause problems for the opposition.

Have an upvote for the hasbeen pundits comment (looking at you Rio).

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 19:57 - Jun 13 with 2068 viewsvapour_trail

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 16:36 - Jun 13 by mikeybloo88

Personally I bought Trippier was poor...it was pretty obvious on occasion that not having a left footed player squandered a few attacking opportunities as he ha to check back. I also thought he missed a few tackles and got done a few times. Walker wasn't much better.

Trippier at lb was his worst selection today i thought. We have three much better options.

However great start. Look at the people digging him out. It’s fckwit central.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 20:10 - Jun 13 with 2023 viewspointofblue

What on earth is wrong with Southgate? on 19:49 - Jun 13 by Churchman

I'd say switch Trippier to right back and bring in Chilwell for Scotland but otherwise keep the same XI which started today. Would prefer to see Sancho on the bench instead of Johnstone though. Walker can miss out alongside the injured Maguire.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024