Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked 10:59 - Apr 22 with 3799 viewsBlueBlood90

Magilton and Gorman Sacked 22nd Apr 2009 12:07
Town have terminated the contracts of manager Jim Magilton and assistant boss John Gorman, just one day into Simon Clegg's reign as chief executive. 1

Can't believe it's been 13 years since Jim Magilton was sacked. I often wonder what path we would have taken if we'd kept Jim or at least replaced him with somebody other than Roy Keane.

Poll: Do you think we have a stronger squad this season or last season?

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:17 - Apr 22 with 1187 viewshype313

Think the issue is Jim's tenure gets looked at more fondly due to the clusterf of Keane's appointment, with rose tinted glasses Magic's tenure seemed a success, when in reality we were really not good, especially given the investment.

if Royle had taken over after Magic, and had been a success then I don't think anyone would had made any defense for Jim's sacking.

Obviously the way it was handled was very unsavory.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:22 - Apr 22 with 1172 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:05 - Apr 22 by davblue

you need to go back and check your facts.

He got sacked in his 3rd season and we were never really in contention to go up that year.

1st season we finished 14, then 8th and i think we were 12th when he was sacked. The atmosphere around the ground had turned, i recall the team being booed of a fair few times. The football that season was turgid after a couple of season of entertaining football.

The quality of the football was indeed poor. I remember thinking at the time it was in complete contrast to him as a player.

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:30 - Apr 22 with 1152 viewsdavblue

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:17 - Apr 22 by tractorboy1978

'Turgid' - Christ, if only we knew what was about to come for the following decade.

Magilton was an inexperienced manager that inherited a pretty dross side - Royle knew he couldn't take us forwards. The 14th and 8th finishes with an FA Cup run to the 5th round whilst playing several academy kids was something to be proud of.

He wasn't wise with some of his spending when Evans came in. It's notable though that his two big ticket signings (Norris and McAuley) were still two of our best players through the Keane and then early Jewell eras. Walters being the other. And Civelli we got really unfortunate with.

We will never know now but he'd have fared far better than Keane, I can say that for sure. I thought he deserved another crack at the time and I stick by it.

im not in any way shape or form demeaning what he done in those 2 seasons, we were a really good watch at times without having the players to implement what Jim would have liked.

The 3rd season wasn't good at all, that's where the football was slow and ponderous and it was a big step back from the year before.
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:36 - Apr 22 with 1141 viewsBiGDonnie

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:48 - Apr 22 by BlueBlood90

I wasn't in favour of sacking him at the time. What I meant is if we'd have gone on to have success with a new manager afterwards then I don't think many people would have felt the same way about the whole situation as we do now.

It's also crazy to think he was sacked after beating Norwich a few days before!
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 11:50]

I remember it well. I was in favour of sacking Jim at the time. Very quickly realised it was a mistake and he should have been given longer.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:40 - Apr 22 with 1143 viewsPhilTWTD

Here's Jim talking about it and the aftermath in the long interview I did a couple of years ago.

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:54 - Apr 22 with 1114 viewsBlueandTruesince82

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:22 - Apr 22 by PhilTWTD

Was it an awful decision? As much as Jim is a club legend, we were 12 points off the play-offs when the decision was taken having had one of the division's bigger budgets. The awful decision was the subsequent appointment!

I think he deserved 1 more season, he really struk me as developing into the role, it was his first job. Had us best scum too.

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 13:06 - Apr 22 with 1099 viewsZXBlue

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:54 - Apr 22 by BlueandTruesince82

I think he deserved 1 more season, he really struk me as developing into the role, it was his first job. Had us best scum too.

He worked miracles initially. Then developed a team which kept possession and worked very well at home but struggled on the road. Finally he adjusted to nick more wins away but lost something int he process.

No reasno to think he would not have adjusted again, with more success.
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 13:10 - Apr 22 with 1100 viewsitfcjoe

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:59 - Apr 22 by ZXBlue

Then your cohort was not reflective of the mood on here, and was more alligned with rich and his bedsheet. Not an accoldate tbh.

We hadn't gon ebackwards, he had turned the side round from a huge downward spiral, on virtually no budget, and then was judged on not getting promotion (despite being in contention until late on) after one full season, whilst trying to integrate new players and shift the balance of the team. It was stupid.

We weren't in contention, we'd spent millions of pound and even though we won our last 3 games off the season (2 under Keane) we finished 8 points outside the play offs. We've got as many points this season despite Cook's disastrous start than we got in that season.

We were looking brillinat until the takeover, and looked as though the extra money would get us over the line but the side became so unbalanced with midfielders and in the following season the football was a huge step backwards. I remember away games at Brammal Lane where we just didn't have a kick.

Sadly as soon as we got the investment, for whatever reason, Jim became the wrong man for the job and didn't cope on or off the pitch where he ended up not even speaking to the press

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 13:51 - Apr 22 with 1055 viewsJammyDodgerrr

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:10 - Apr 22 by PhilTWTD

We weren't in contention, that was the issue. I would agree with you that the mood on here wasn't one which was widely calling for his departure though. The TWTD Forum was staunchly behind Jim to the end.

Seem to remember some of the football was truly awful, as well. Seemed the right decision at the time.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 13:54 - Apr 22 with 1044 viewshoppy

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:56 - Apr 22 by SitfcB

After beating Norwich on the Sunday.

Only Craig David had a busier week.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 13:58 - Apr 22 with 1041 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Evans having given him a cash to spend started our decline. Spent a bit and we weren't a threat for the top 6. Very poor home record in his final season. Bad temper. Falling out with Andy Rhodes (the father of certain Jordan). We weren't making any progress. It was utterly right decision.
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 13:59 - Apr 22 with 1035 viewspointofblue

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:17 - Apr 22 by tractorboy1978

'Turgid' - Christ, if only we knew what was about to come for the following decade.

Magilton was an inexperienced manager that inherited a pretty dross side - Royle knew he couldn't take us forwards. The 14th and 8th finishes with an FA Cup run to the 5th round whilst playing several academy kids was something to be proud of.

He wasn't wise with some of his spending when Evans came in. It's notable though that his two big ticket signings (Norris and McAuley) were still two of our best players through the Keane and then early Jewell eras. Walters being the other. And Civelli we got really unfortunate with.

We will never know now but he'd have fared far better than Keane, I can say that for sure. I thought he deserved another crack at the time and I stick by it.

I think a lot of people turned when we were walloped 3-0 by Doncaster in the home game before Norwich. And then, even though Norwich were an utter shambles at the time, we managed to make them look our equals and limped over the line through a 3-2 win. Whatever is said and however it is presented I think a lot of fans saw Jim as a great manager on a budget but struggled against expectations when we had money to spend.

From memory, our record at Portman Road was awful that season as well. We had a good away record but really struggled at home. There was an irony behind that as, the year before, I think we only lost one game at PR (Watford) all season but were poor away.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 14:47 - Apr 22 with 998 viewsOsmansCleanSheet

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:59 - Apr 22 by ZXBlue

Then your cohort was not reflective of the mood on here, and was more alligned with rich and his bedsheet. Not an accoldate tbh.

We hadn't gon ebackwards, he had turned the side round from a huge downward spiral, on virtually no budget, and then was judged on not getting promotion (despite being in contention until late on) after one full season, whilst trying to integrate new players and shift the balance of the team. It was stupid.

In contention? He was funded for promotion and managed to get nowhere near even the playoffs. He had to go. He’s also done nothing since to suggest that it was the wrong decision. If we’d appointed a better replacement, no one would’ve given Magilton a second thought.
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 16:22 - Apr 22 with 952 viewsTJS

In my parallel universe Roy Keane pulls out at the last minute and in a bit of a panic we appoint a largely unknown Eddie Howe from League Two who did a great job saving Bournemouth from relegation.
[Post edited 22 Apr 2022 16:23]
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 16:35 - Apr 22 with 923 viewsstonojnr

Was it an awful decision? As much as Jim is a club legend, we were 12 points off the play-offs when the decision was taken having had one of the division's bigger budgets. The awful decision was the subsequent appointment!

Jim was a club legend as a player and captain of the team, no doubt about that, Jim the manager well I havent ever thought since, it was the wrong decision to sack him because I think he'd taken the club as far as he could, the way they did it was absolutely wrong no question, but in isolation it of itself wasnt an awful decision to have made. Though others may disagree.
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 17:24 - Apr 22 with 903 viewsRegencyBlue

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:05 - Apr 22 by mylittletown

Clegg was a disaster. And it was utterly predictable.
A blowhard bullsh1tter.

Clegg was here for one reason and one reason only, for Evans to use his British Olympic Committee contacts to get his grubby little paws on London 2012 tickets for Evans other ‘business’ activities.

And for those who still won’t believe that, just how long did Clegg last after London 2012?
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 17:41 - Apr 22 with 880 viewsBlueBadger

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 13:58 - Apr 22 by Mach_foreignBlue

Evans having given him a cash to spend started our decline. Spent a bit and we weren't a threat for the top 6. Very poor home record in his final season. Bad temper. Falling out with Andy Rhodes (the father of certain Jordan). We weren't making any progress. It was utterly right decision.

He was like a competent version of Famous Roy.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 18:00 - Apr 22 with 859 viewshappybeingblue

It was a poor decision, a rookie manager who inherited a team that had ran its course quite a few fans were vocal in wanting him out which was odd i felt,lets hope our current rookie manager is given more time as it looks like we are about to finish 11th or 12th and like jim he has us playing a nice brand of football. oh and we are 11 points outside the play offs but young kieran seems to be in the good books atm. if we do have a bad run of results next season and i am sure it will happen at some point lets see how things pan out then.jim earnt his legend status for me and should have been allowed more time but my word did we not know what was coming next!
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 18:55 - Apr 22 with 824 viewsSwansea_Blue

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:17 - Apr 22 by hype313

Think the issue is Jim's tenure gets looked at more fondly due to the clusterf of Keane's appointment, with rose tinted glasses Magic's tenure seemed a success, when in reality we were really not good, especially given the investment.

if Royle had taken over after Magic, and had been a success then I don't think anyone would had made any defense for Jim's sacking.

Obviously the way it was handled was very unsavory.

We were excellent at home but not away. And then we were excellent away but not at home. Or have I got that the wrong way round? It was a very strange time.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 18:59 - Apr 22 with 818 viewshype313

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 18:55 - Apr 22 by Swansea_Blue

We were excellent at home but not away. And then we were excellent away but not at home. Or have I got that the wrong way round? It was a very strange time.

To be fair I've kinda blocked out 15 years of ITFC, im just getting over the sad sacking of Royle, but optimistic about the McKenna appointment.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 19:36 - Apr 22 with 803 viewsMattinLondon

A lot of revisionism on this thread but at the time, despite people now stating differently, the decision to sack Jim was considered to be the right one.

For me, Marcus Evans greatest mistake (and there are a lot of them) was giving Jim a big budget (obviously by the standards of the day). If, he told Jim that he would have to earn the right to spend big but here’s 1.5 million then I think he would have brought better and we wouldn’t have ended up with Keane and Jewell.
13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 07:35 - Apr 23 with 695 viewsElephantintheRoom

I suspect he was sacked due the dreadful signings he made with the high interest loan. The pity was that Town had a decent crop of youth players that were doing quite well while careers abruptly ended by the employment of a borderline sociopath as manager.

Only one person benefitted from the ridiculous Keane recruitment and that was the poseur behind The Cotton Tree in Saxmundham who couldn’t believe just how much he was prepared to pay on ‘Interior design’.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:09 - Apr 23 with 633 viewssuffolkpoker

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 11:45 - Apr 22 by EastTownBlue

That was a strange week. Clegg appointed on the Tuesday, Magilton sacked on the Wednesday and Keane appointed Thursday.

The start or the dark days and the decline of this once great club

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 12:01 - Apr 23 with 620 viewsZXBlue

13 years ago today - Magilton sacked on 07:35 - Apr 23 by ElephantintheRoom

I suspect he was sacked due the dreadful signings he made with the high interest loan. The pity was that Town had a decent crop of youth players that were doing quite well while careers abruptly ended by the employment of a borderline sociopath as manager.

Only one person benefitted from the ridiculous Keane recruitment and that was the poseur behind The Cotton Tree in Saxmundham who couldn’t believe just how much he was prepared to pay on ‘Interior design’.

Oh look. More made up nonsense from the edgelord troll.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024