Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dane Scarlett 10:38 - Aug 31 with 26824 viewsSitfcB

This post has been edited by an administrator

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Dane Scarlett on 14:05 - Aug 31 with 2334 viewsHerbivore

Dane Scarlett on 13:44 - Aug 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'm not going to go back across 6 pages and copy n paste all you've said, people can read that for themselves, but it's pretty clear you're not in favour of this signing.

"the evidence suggests that for all his talent he's not ready to improve us in the Championship just yet. We should be using loans to add real quality, imo, rather than as squad filler."

You add "But I trust McKenna" so that when he rips it up and ISN'T just squad filler you can say "Yeah, well I said I trusted McKenna."

Some might call it nuance, others might call it covering your arris.

Others might be bored sh!tless of you, I know I am.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Dane Scarlett on 14:09 - Aug 31 with 2293 viewspointofblue

Dane Scarlett on 13:44 - Aug 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

I'm not going to go back across 6 pages and copy n paste all you've said, people can read that for themselves, but it's pretty clear you're not in favour of this signing.

"the evidence suggests that for all his talent he's not ready to improve us in the Championship just yet. We should be using loans to add real quality, imo, rather than as squad filler."

You add "But I trust McKenna" so that when he rips it up and ISN'T just squad filler you can say "Yeah, well I said I trusted McKenna."

Some might call it nuance, others might call it covering your arris.

You can trust someone but not fully understand the decision they’re making. McKenna sees something in Scarlett which is a massive positive, as I trust his judgement. Saying that, am I delighted by the signing? No, predominantly as it’s a loan and there are questions about his effectiveness at this level. I’d prefer either someone proven at this level on loan or signing a young prospect on a permanent deal. That’s my personal preference, but doesn’t mean I don’t trust McKenna.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Dane Scarlett on 14:11 - Aug 31 with 2276 viewsHerbivore

Dane Scarlett on 14:09 - Aug 31 by pointofblue

You can trust someone but not fully understand the decision they’re making. McKenna sees something in Scarlett which is a massive positive, as I trust his judgement. Saying that, am I delighted by the signing? No, predominantly as it’s a loan and there are questions about his effectiveness at this level. I’d prefer either someone proven at this level on loan or signing a young prospect on a permanent deal. That’s my personal preference, but doesn’t mean I don’t trust McKenna.

You're just covering your backside! Gotcha! I win the interwebs!

Dane Scarlett on 14:28 - Aug 31 with 2188 viewsReusersTown

Dane Scarlett on 12:35 - Aug 31 by Asa

Last season we were statistically one of the best League One sides ever. After the January window, we were pretty much the best League One side ever. Every inch a very decent Championship side.

If we'd signed nobody other than retaining that side I'd have been happy enough. We are taking loan players from Man Utd, Chelsea and Spurs in addition to Taylor that aren't costing a huge deal and all have tremendous potential to add to the squad or even improve the starting eleven over the season.

If the right permanent signings haven't been doable, McNally for example, then I more than support the club not adding anyone permanently that doesn't improve the side for the right money.

Exactly the right point more people need to be making. There's no point rushing into permanent right now if we think they are overpriced, and messing up our budget wiggleroom long term. Especially when there is no massive need with the team looking like they'll be able to cope relatively well in the champ. Wait for the right opportunity.
Dane Scarlett on 14:30 - Aug 31 with 2178 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Herbs said he FULLY trusts McKenna though, while displaying that he doesn't quite. That's all, no biggie.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Dane Scarlett on 14:32 - Aug 31 with 2155 viewspointofblue

Scarlett’s contract extension with Tottenham is reportedly until 2027.

Dane Scarlett on 14:33 - Aug 31 with 2134 viewsGavTWTD

Dane Scarlett on 14:30 - Aug 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

Herbs said he FULLY trusts McKenna though, while displaying that he doesn't quite. That's all, no biggie.

Can we stop the bickering please? I don't want to have to prune this thread back to the main topic.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Dane Scarlett on 14:34 - Aug 31 with 2116 viewsHerbivore

Dane Scarlett on 14:32 - Aug 31 by pointofblue

We can sign him on a Bosman as he's approaching his peak years.

Login to get fewer ads

Dane Scarlett on 14:34 - Aug 31 with 2118 viewsStokieBlue

Dane Scarlett on 14:32 - Aug 31 by pointofblue

Good enough for a 4 year contract at Spurs although according to a few on here he's not good enough for us and a clear panic signing.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Dane Scarlett on 14:35 - Aug 31 with 2104 viewstractorboy1978

Dane Scarlett on 14:34 - Aug 31 by StokieBlue

Good enough for a 4 year contract at Spurs although according to a few on here he's not good enough for us and a clear panic signing.

SB

Evan Ferguson was an unproven kid that wasn't good enough for us last January.
Innit on 14:42 - Aug 31 with 2017 viewsNaylorsrightboot

Innit on 12:45 - Aug 31 by xrayspecs

He does and he will.

No he doesn’t,get real. He is a 19 year old kid. Bit part player at most.
Innit on 14:48 - Aug 31 with 1962 viewsStokieBlue

Innit on 14:42 - Aug 31 by Naylorsrightboot

No he doesn’t,get real. He is a 19 year old kid. Bit part player at most.

Honestly, you couldn't be more negative if you were an electron.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Dane Scarlett on 14:48 - Aug 31 with 1961 viewsPhilTWTD

Dane Scarlett on 12:00 - Aug 31 by chicoazul

Hasn’t Cathcart been training with us for a couple weeks now?

No. Actually, hearing now that that's not on the cards as it stands anyway.
Upvoted, as requested. (n/t) on 14:48 - Aug 31 with 1954 viewsBloots

Dane Scarlett on 14:33 - Aug 31 by GavTWTD

Can we stop the bickering please? I don't want to have to prune this thread back to the main topic.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Dane Scarlett on 14:49 - Aug 31 with 1954 viewspointofblue

Dane Scarlett on 14:34 - Aug 31 by Herbivore

We can sign him on a Bosman as he's approaching his peak years.

Perhaps Spurs are agreeing to a four year loan spell?

Dane Scarlett on 14:54 - Aug 31 with 1916 viewsMetal_Hacker

I'm reyt excited about this one

When this guy clicks he'll be a player and with KMcK's info on him I'm even more excited

I'll predict he'll take a good half dozen games to shine but thereafter .......

This is his season

Poll: If it were one or the other

Dane Scarlett on 14:57 - Aug 31 with 1875 viewsFrimleyBlue

See its not always my fault.. lol

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Dane Scarlett on 14:58 - Aug 31 with 1881 viewsMullet

Actually it's two threads (today) get the shears sharpened Gav!

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Dane Scarlett on 15:01 - Aug 31 with 1865 viewsJ2BLUE

Dane Scarlett on 14:30 - Aug 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

I think it's fair enough really. I know what he means. I feel the same about Hutchinson. Fact is, he wouldn't be here unless McKenna thought he added something and could be a real asset this season.

Like Herbivore with Scarlett, i'm just waiting to see how it plays out.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Dane Scarlett on 15:04 - Aug 31 with 1836 viewsHerbivore

Dane Scarlett on 14:58 - Aug 31 by Mullet

Actually it's two threads (today) get the shears sharpened Gav!

I'm out on both, and resuming blissful ignorance of certain posters.

Uppa Scarlett. Uppa Towen.

Dane Scarlett on 15:06 - Aug 31 with 1826 viewsMullet

Dane Scarlett on 15:04 - Aug 31 by Herbivore

I'm out on both, and resuming blissful ignorance of certain posters.

Uppa Scarlett. Uppa Towen.

Ruining the board etc!

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Dane Scarlett on 15:22 - Aug 31 with 1729 viewsBlueStreak

Who would you have signed instead?
Dane Scarlett on 15:46 - Aug 31 with 1631 viewsBigCommon

I like this loan deal... He's quick, technical and energetic.. If KM can tune him into our playing style, he'll be useful, both in games where we see the lions share of possession and need to stretch defences..And in games where we counter with pace.
Some players struggle with the expected work rate in a KM side. Once he's up to speed on that side of things, hell be a great addition...

The notion of only loan signing players that we can "definitely" sign later on is utter nonsense.. There are plenty of Prem' youngsters out there that would be out of our reach financially as permanent signings in the next few seasons. That wed have here on a season loan, in a heart beat.

This kind of signing is completely low risk for us. And has the potential (albeit slim) to lead to something further down the line, if all works out well..

I make that a couple of signings now, since Ashton's enthusiastic remarks. He's delivered on his words. And still time for something else, maybe...?
Dane Scarlett on 15:54 - Aug 31 with 1567 viewsFrimleyBlue

Dane Scarlett on 15:01 - Aug 31 by J2BLUE

I think it's fair enough really. I know what he means. I feel the same about Hutchinson. Fact is, he wouldn't be here unless McKenna thought he added something and could be a real asset this season.

Like Herbivore with Scarlett, i'm just waiting to see how it plays out.

Not really any different to KM himself really

He'll have trust in himself that the signings he makes are the right ones. Only once they play for a bit can you then judge that transfer and your decision to bring them in.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Dane Scarlett on 17:27 - Aug 31 with 1458 viewsBrads

Dane Scarlett on 12:26 - Aug 31 by The_Flashing_Smile

But on the other hand he was wasted on the wing at Pompey... and McKenna has called him the best young forward in world football. He must be seeing something that others aren't when you compare that statement to some in this thread.

I think McKenna’s previous comments need to be taken in context though. At the time Cowley was playing the underdog and KMc was countering that by pointing out that they’ve got similar Champ experience + DS, so was bigging up the Pompey squad.

Undoubtedly a talented footballer as come through at Spurs but Ashton was talking about bringing in players to improve the first 11 now. I’d be surprised if he does that straight away. He doesn’t look in the best condition in his signing photos so may need time etc.

As for McKenna wanting him, agree that we can trust his judgement but again, context. We don’t really know how much he wanted him and for what role etc (was he always wanted but as third striker to complement Hirst and Simms or whoever)? KMc’s hardly gonna say he wants him out of the options left available and he was 23rd on the list (not saying he is, but no idea).

Time will tell. Hopefully turns out to be a great addition but can understand some feeling a little underwhelmed given the previous quotes from club on transfers.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024