Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's just utterly depressing watching us 10:05 - Feb 2 with 34854 viewsitfcjoe

I sat until the bitter end to see the players and management team leave the pitch, and PR is becoming a depressing place again - like it has been for a while.

I just can't workout how we can't get a team of talented footballers at this level playing above themselves and the sum of their parts.

It goes back to the rotation for me, of styles, shapes and personnel - we just don't look anything close to where we should be and it is no surprise the well organised teams at the top of this league make us look distinctly second best.

I was fairly positive and a bit bullish after we'd finally settled on something and seemed to be clicking, but it has come unstuck and hard to see it turning back round. We'll do enough to stay in the top 6, but no one will fear us in the play offs.

The club is in my blood, and is my life - I can't give up on it even if I wanted to, but it is so frustrating, seeing the mistakes being made and us continuously go down the wrong path.

Why can't Evans see this? What is he waiting for or doing here?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:09 - Feb 2 with 5809 viewsSuperfrans

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:04 - Feb 2 by badadski

you can raise your game but not your level or ability. I believe that we are playing at our level, we have a few talented youngsters and few good individuals but that is it. Our squad has been ageing and stagnating for a long time, replacements have not come in for positions we desperately needed and still do to this day.

If you can be realistic with your expectations then I find it doesn’t hurt so much. We will win more games as have an easy run in but not expecting us to do much against teams like Rotheram of peterborough with the squad we have.

If we were in the Championship I might agree, but these players are perfectly good enough for League 1. I just don’t buy that they’re not high enough quality at this level.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:11 - Feb 2 with 5805 viewstextbackup

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:03 - Feb 2 by Superfrans

I agree, I have wondered this myself. Do our players go onto the pitch thinking we have enough quality to win out, we just need to let the game take its course. Too little battling spirit, fight etc,

I couldn’t understand why, after 30 mins yesterday, when it became clear that you’d have to decapitate an opponent with a sword before the referee would get out any yellow cards we didn’t start taking the game to Posh, to be more physical. We have the players. You’re not telling me Wilson, Chambers, Skuse etc can’t look after themselves, not to mention Norwood, Downes etc.

Lambert understands this side of the game. why isn’t his team showing it?

Toney tried to give Wolf some yesterday and he floored him, hand around throat chucked him to the ground. ref didn't batter an eyelid.
im sure we've all played football with some nasty fckers, but being nasty gets you an edge, players do worry about physical horrible players. I was at Achilles for a while and the games we won before a ball was kicked purely based on reputations and shear aggression.

lambert is old skool and should be saying "look theres no VAR down here, basically a free for all, get your digs in early"

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:12 - Feb 2 with 5798 viewstextbackup

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:07 - Feb 2 by Superfrans

I don’t think we can point the finger *just* at Chambers. For a start this goes back before him. And we have no other leaders on the pitch.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 11:10]

yeah that's fair enough, he has been a bit alone in that respect

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:16 - Feb 2 with 5789 viewsreusersfreekicks

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:23 - Feb 2 by BrixtonBlue

Maybe Lambert needs a tactician to come in and help him? What exactly does Stuart Taylor do?

Exactly but I fear Lambert's pride would prevent changes
It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:16 - Feb 2 with 5786 viewsGarv

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:33 - Feb 2 by tractorboy1978

You can already predict the messages at the end of the season - "it's tough to bounce straight back" and "Leeds and Sheffied United spent several seasons down here" etc. The club is dying and expectations seem to get eroded season on season. We should be dominating this league and we were dominating this league (albeit not fantastic performances). The last 3 months have been disastrous. We are 4th but teams below us all have at least one game in hand. If we don't go up it is a massive, inexcusable failure, simple as that.

I simply don't get why we should be dominating this league?

Lambert does talk some bizarre stuff, but he's correct in saying we've got no right to go up this season.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:19 - Feb 2 with 5776 viewsmrshallisfit

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:18 - Feb 2 by Marshalls_Mullet

Not sure what Evans can do now, he's given Lambert that 5 year contract.

I agree that the lack of an obvious system or style of play is an issue, and if we did get promoted I wouldn't be looking forward to next season.

Technical players like Bishop, Mizouni, Dobra and Dozzel can't get close to a first team start. That's a worry.

Also seems like the club is run on a skeleton staff of inexperienced people.

Yes. Exactly. That is why we have slumped to where we are. Therefore, the cancer at the heart of the club is ME. As I've been saying and many others for ages.
It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:22 - Feb 2 with 5763 viewstractorboy1978

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:16 - Feb 2 by Garv

Lambert does talk some bizarre stuff, but he's correct in saying we've got no right to go up this season.

We have no right to turn up and just go up but that squad of players individually and as a sum of its parts should be comfortably getting promoted.
It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:32 - Feb 2 with 5737 viewsHerbivore

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:16 - Feb 2 by Garv

We have a very strong squad for this level. A competent manager would have us comfortably in the top 2 imo.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:32 - Feb 2 with 5733 viewsMeadowlark

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:09 - Feb 2 by Superfrans

If we were in the Championship I might agree, but these players are perfectly good enough for League 1. I just don’t buy that they’re not high enough quality at this level.

The best we can hope for is to scrape into the play-offs and get some fortunate results and claw our way back up to the Championship. But what then?
This team and manager will come straight down and no investment in the team or infrastructure looks likely.

I like many on here now count myself lucky to have witnessed the Robson and Burley eras, and feel desperately sorry for younger fans who are unlikely to witness such things again - or even see a half-decent display of football.
It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:37 - Feb 2 with 5721 views66notout

For some time now I have been trying to work out Evans' end game. What on earth possesses him to stay and pick up a hefty annual tab, the vast majority of which he will never see again? For God's sake, the bill is £100 million and rising, and he has absolutely nothing to show for it.
But he can only blame himself for a string of disastrous - and in Lambert's case mind-boggling - managerial appointments. With his record in recent years the guy was wrong from day one but when I offered that view in earlier posts I was ridiculed on here. I could never have suspected that goodwill gestures, such as paying bus fares and footing the bill for a round of drinks, could create so much false positivity.
I'm not even sure we can finish in the top six this season and once the likes of Downes and Woolfenden depart in the summer, and Evans continues his policy of limited investment, we will probably be in a very different mix next season to avoid heading in the direction of League Two.
I echo your frustration and feel for those supporters who have been well and truly duped by Evans and Lambert into investing in season tickets. There are also many who chose to regard the current campaign as a bit of a novelty, an opportunity to tick off some previously unvisited grounds during what they envisaged would be a period of handing out some tasty defeats en route to an instant Championship return. Indeed, it seems to be regarded as a weird badge of honour to say they have attended every away fixture so far.
Those people - indeed all Town supporters - deserve so much better.
It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:37 - Feb 2 with 5719 viewsGarv

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:22 - Feb 2 by tractorboy1978

We have no right to turn up and just go up but that squad of players individually and as a sum of its parts should be comfortably getting promoted.

Those two things are basically the same. Either we do have a right to go up or we don't.

The play offs is a lottery, and I worry about our mental toughness in big games, for obvious reasons. There's only two automatic spots though, and there's a fair few teams who can expect to have a go at them. It's so tight around the top and play off spots. Peterborough have been a good side in this league for years and probably should have gone up long ago. Rotherham came above us last season and are effective, and a few other sides are starting to show their worth in this league, Coventry, Wycombe and Oxford etc. Then you've got the likes of Pompey and Sunderland who probably also think they 'should' be getting promoted. Any of those have a reasonable shout of promotion.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:40 - Feb 2 with 5700 viewsBrixtonBlue

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:28 - Feb 2 by Chrisd

Agree with a lot of your sentiments Joe (usually do). We play football in the wrong areas and have done so for some time, our passing is so laboured too. We could pass it out from the back and it takes us the whole 90 minutes to work it up to the opponent's area. Well that's what it feels like. Peterborough were quick and incisive at times, but equally they would mix this up cleverly. How many times were we beaten by the one, long ball? A lot. We have defenders that don't communicate and don't like heading the ball. I looked at us and to me we look like a side that doesn't know when to pass or when to knock it long. We looked a mess and clueless. I still stand by the fact that our squad has found it's level, although we do have a few talented individuals, we aren't good enough collectively to make the top 6. We just seem a club that just doesn't learn from our mistakes, both on and off the pitch and that starts from the leadership at the very top and has done for some time now.

"we aren't good enough collectively to make the top 6"

This is just absolute kneejerk nonsense. We haven't been out of the top 6 all season and were top last weekend!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:40 - Feb 2 with 5717 viewsJ2BLUE

'The club is in my blood, and is my life - I can't give up on it even if I wanted to'

For me that line would end, I can't stay even if I wanted to. I am done at the end of the season. Something is deeply wrong. Our downward trajectory has never been a straight line. The play off season was a peak in a bigger picture which shows a steady decline. We may well end up going up but it will be another peak in the bigger picture and steady decline which have become the norm. I can't watch it anymore. The club won't die, it's not on life support like some people like to say but it's declining rapidly. I can't watch it anymore. That feeling of hope dying season after season, month after month, after games like yesterday. There is something deeply wrong here. It infects the club, the team, even the fans. This awful negativity that is now built into Ipswich has become the new norm. Why do we have this soft streak? Time after time we roll over when it counts.

I wonder if Jim Magilton cursed us the day he was sacked by text. Can't blame him if he did but very little has gone right since then. I actually feel sorry for Evans now. For years he was to blame for how things were but in the last couple of seasons he has really tried to give us everything we wanted. I genuinely feel for him. It seems he is out of ideas and has no idea what to do next. We can all see where this is going in the next few years. We will either stay down or go up and come down again. The likes of Downes will leave and we'll settle in mid table of league one.

I can't watch that happen. I couldn't care less what anyone thinks. I am done in May.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:41 - Feb 2 with 5699 viewstractorboy1978

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:37 - Feb 2 by 66notout

For some time now I have been trying to work out Evans' end game. What on earth possesses him to stay and pick up a hefty annual tab, the vast majority of which he will never see again? For God's sake, the bill is £100 million and rising, and he has absolutely nothing to show for it.
But he can only blame himself for a string of disastrous - and in Lambert's case mind-boggling - managerial appointments. With his record in recent years the guy was wrong from day one but when I offered that view in earlier posts I was ridiculed on here. I could never have suspected that goodwill gestures, such as paying bus fares and footing the bill for a round of drinks, could create so much false positivity.
I'm not even sure we can finish in the top six this season and once the likes of Downes and Woolfenden depart in the summer, and Evans continues his policy of limited investment, we will probably be in a very different mix next season to avoid heading in the direction of League Two.
I echo your frustration and feel for those supporters who have been well and truly duped by Evans and Lambert into investing in season tickets. There are also many who chose to regard the current campaign as a bit of a novelty, an opportunity to tick off some previously unvisited grounds during what they envisaged would be a period of handing out some tasty defeats en route to an instant Championship return. Indeed, it seems to be regarded as a weird badge of honour to say they have attended every away fixture so far.
Those people - indeed all Town supporters - deserve so much better.

He'd be gone if he could find the right buyer IMO. Despite all the bluster we hear about being as committed as ever.
It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:41 - Feb 2 with 5699 viewsBrixtonBlue

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:24 - Feb 2 by Herbivore

I think Lambert just needs to go, to be honest. He's clearly not a very good football manager. He's not done well anywhere in a very long time.

We were top of the table just last weekend. I think you need a little more patience.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:42 - Feb 2 with 5691 viewsSomethingBlue

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:40 - Feb 2 by J2BLUE

'The club is in my blood, and is my life - I can't give up on it even if I wanted to'

For me that line would end, I can't stay even if I wanted to. I am done at the end of the season. Something is deeply wrong. Our downward trajectory has never been a straight line. The play off season was a peak in a bigger picture which shows a steady decline. We may well end up going up but it will be another peak in the bigger picture and steady decline which have become the norm. I can't watch it anymore. The club won't die, it's not on life support like some people like to say but it's declining rapidly. I can't watch it anymore. That feeling of hope dying season after season, month after month, after games like yesterday. There is something deeply wrong here. It infects the club, the team, even the fans. This awful negativity that is now built into Ipswich has become the new norm. Why do we have this soft streak? Time after time we roll over when it counts.

I wonder if Jim Magilton cursed us the day he was sacked by text. Can't blame him if he did but very little has gone right since then. I actually feel sorry for Evans now. For years he was to blame for how things were but in the last couple of seasons he has really tried to give us everything we wanted. I genuinely feel for him. It seems he is out of ideas and has no idea what to do next. We can all see where this is going in the next few years. We will either stay down or go up and come down again. The likes of Downes will leave and we'll settle in mid table of league one.

I can't watch that happen. I couldn't care less what anyone thinks. I am done in May.

No you're not, but I do understand the reaction.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:47 - Feb 2 with 5670 viewsJ2BLUE

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:42 - Feb 2 by SomethingBlue

No you're not, but I do understand the reaction.

Season ticket I mean. I'll never be done, done. I only came back this season. A few seats away from where I had my ST for 7-8 years last time. It's not the same. If you look at the long term trend and where we go next it's just too depressing to watch.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:49 - Feb 2 with 5657 viewsChrisd

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:40 - Feb 2 by BrixtonBlue

"we aren't good enough collectively to make the top 6"

This is just absolute kneejerk nonsense. We haven't been out of the top 6 all season and were top last weekend!

May time will show it. However, based on yesterday and Tuesday night's level of performance, the fact we can't beat any of those sides around us and now other sides are closing in fast, is it really kneejerk nonsense? Don't let the facts get in the way of a forum debate. You keep your head firmly stuck in the sand.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 11:52]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:50 - Feb 2 with 5648 viewsbackwaywhen

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:24 - Feb 2 by Herbivore

I think Lambert just needs to go, to be honest. He's clearly not a very good football manager. He's not done well anywhere in a very long time.

Culverhouse !!!!!
It's just utterly depressing watching us on 12:01 - Feb 2 with 5621 viewsPinewoodblue

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:41 - Feb 2 by BrixtonBlue

We were top of the table just last weekend. I think you need a little more patience.

Agreed but another performance like yesterday’s against Sunderland and we will be out of the play off positions.

Think you need to be a little more realistic about our situation.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 12:10 - Feb 2 with 5599 viewsBrixtonBlue

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:49 - Feb 2 by Chrisd

May time will show it. However, based on yesterday and Tuesday night's level of performance, the fact we can't beat any of those sides around us and now other sides are closing in fast, is it really kneejerk nonsense? Don't let the facts get in the way of a forum debate. You keep your head firmly stuck in the sand.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 11:52]

The facts are, as I said, we haven't been out of the top 6 all season and were 1st just last weekend, if you want to talk facts.

That's my evidence that we will finish in the top 6. "May time will show it" isn't evidence, it's just your opinion.

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 12:11 - Feb 2 with 5599 viewsHerbivore

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:41 - Feb 2 by BrixtonBlue

He's had 15 months now, that's plenty of time to demonstrate whether he's capable or not. He's not a rookie manager who needs a bit of help, he's a past his best, managerial merry-go-round hack.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 12:11 - Feb 2 with 5592 viewsBrixtonBlue

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 12:01 - Feb 2 by Pinewoodblue

Agreed but another performance like yesterday’s against Sunderland and we will be out of the play off positions.

Think you need to be a little more realistic about our situation.

You're talking about something that hasn't happened yet. I'm talking about facts.

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 12:12 - Feb 2 with 5589 viewsFtnfwest

I don’t know if you thought it as well but on the occasions that’s happened to me at the same time at the back of my mind the thought that after all this I still bl**dy love this club beyond all reason and I’ll be back for more next time. Lambert though, there’s nothing there beyond motivation to a degree which worked on the fans but hasn’t with the players. The tragedy was that Evans when he made a change and went for a younger coach, got it so hopelessly wrong (a long line in bad decisions because funnily enough he’s not any sort of football expert and won’t employ someone who is to recruit for him).
It's just utterly depressing watching us on 12:14 - Feb 2 with 5582 viewsBrixtonBlue

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 12:11 - Feb 2 by Herbivore

He's had 15 months now, that's plenty of time to demonstrate whether he's capable or not. He's not a rookie manager who needs a bit of help, he's a past his best, managerial merry-go-round hack.

You seem to have completely ignored the post you were replying to. Just 7 days ago Lambert was the best manager in the division, going on league placings.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024