Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's just utterly depressing watching us 10:05 - Feb 2 with 35326 viewsitfcjoe

I sat until the bitter end to see the players and management team leave the pitch, and PR is becoming a depressing place again - like it has been for a while.

I just can't workout how we can't get a team of talented footballers at this level playing above themselves and the sum of their parts.

It goes back to the rotation for me, of styles, shapes and personnel - we just don't look anything close to where we should be and it is no surprise the well organised teams at the top of this league make us look distinctly second best.

I was fairly positive and a bit bullish after we'd finally settled on something and seemed to be clicking, but it has come unstuck and hard to see it turning back round. We'll do enough to stay in the top 6, but no one will fear us in the play offs.

The club is in my blood, and is my life - I can't give up on it even if I wanted to, but it is so frustrating, seeing the mistakes being made and us continuously go down the wrong path.

Why can't Evans see this? What is he waiting for or doing here?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 08:18 - Feb 3 with 4804 viewschicoazul

It will be like this for as long as Evans owns us, and has been since the dog days of Keane. Evans is truly awful and has wrecked everything good about the club. the only positive things that remain are the fans themselves and the TWTD message board, everything else is hopeless useless under-funded and not cared for. Evans doesnt care. He is extremely rich with a vast worldwide business to take care of and he could care less about Ipswich, this is certain.
Until Evans goes it will be this way. He is a unique combination of unlucky and staggeringly useless. Our club is dead and has been for some time.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 09:33 - Feb 3 with 4744 viewsBrixtonBlue

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 07:59 - Feb 3 by GlasgowBlue

Way ott. I’m very concerned that we are chucking away automatic promotion based on our last 2 performances but we’ve been in the top six pretty much since day one and only a week ago went back to the top of the table.

Now we are seeing calls to replace the manager. If we did that I think we’d be a laughing stock to the neutrals.

Cheers Glassers. Good to see I'm not going mad with my view.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 09:34 - Feb 3 with 4741 viewsBrixtonBlue

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 08:00 - Feb 3 by Plums

Rotherham thrashed us 1-0, we were never in the game.

1-0 is, has never been, and never will be a thrashing.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 09:36 - Feb 3 with 4733 viewsBrixtonBlue

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 08:18 - Feb 3 by chicoazul

It will be like this for as long as Evans owns us, and has been since the dog days of Keane. Evans is truly awful and has wrecked everything good about the club. the only positive things that remain are the fans themselves and the TWTD message board, everything else is hopeless useless under-funded and not cared for. Evans doesnt care. He is extremely rich with a vast worldwide business to take care of and he could care less about Ipswich, this is certain.
Until Evans goes it will be this way. He is a unique combination of unlucky and staggeringly useless. Our club is dead and has been for some time.

You think the TWTD message board is positive?!

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 09:38 - Feb 3 with 4717 viewsHerbivore

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 09:34 - Feb 3 by BrixtonBlue

1-0 is, has never been, and never will be a thrashing.

They battered us though, well and truly. They hit the wood work twice and missed several decent chances.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 09:50 - Feb 3 with 4706 viewsBrixtonBlue

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 09:38 - Feb 3 by Herbivore

They battered us though, well and truly. They hit the wood work twice and missed several decent chances.

That wasn't the discussion though. We were talking about thrashings from which there's no hope of a comeback. At 1-0 there's always a chance, thus it's not a thrashing.

This article and the sentiment of the fans of that club..... on 09:51 - Feb 3 with 4707 viewsMrTown

This article and the sentiment of the fans of that club..... on 22:08 - Feb 2 by unstableblue

.... (Brentford) and the fact that Thomas Frank would seamlessly continue the club's technical strategy....

(From a fan)
"Just a cog in the Brentford fc wheel.. love how these clueless people who think the way we play was down to Smith"

I get shot down for using the term technical about Ipswich and our failings to be technical and hire technical..... well the late technical director of Brentford Robert Rowan.. continued to forge that technical approach.. where a system of play, a choice of technical player, a style of passing is bigger than the manager.

This from Dean Smith:

But for Smith, the fact his entire squad of players have such a deep understanding of the Brentford way of football is one of the greatest pleasures.

He said: "We have 18 or 19 players that I have changed around for the last six games."

"However, such is the understanding of our structure, style of play, and of each other, that the players who have come in have adapted well. I don’t think anybody could say that there has been a change in our style, or how we have played, and that is one of the things that gives me the greatest pleasure. Whoever goes in knows how we play and the structure of the team."

And that technical style and system is entertaining and on the ground, about shapes, running and movement.

Marcus has failed to instill a structure, a leadership team, a strategy and a single manager to get us anywhere close to this, or other more progressive/technical clubs.

Keane, Jewell, Mick, Hurst..... not what the fans or club needed for the long term. Mick papered over issues with a style and ethos that would never succeed in the long term. Ever.

Now we have Lambert..... I'm not seeing a system of play, evidence of technical training that instills a purpose and ethos of play. And indeed Lambert doesn’t have the structure around him for a modern club, and his subordinates do not seem to progressive in behaviour and approach.

All very worrying. I just hope we can get some momentum and get the system that has been good in some games firing again. Keep in the hunt, get promoted and rethink.

You cannot succeed in football in 2020 without strategy, alignment and a technical foundation.

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/brentford-supporters-want-this-manager-to-
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 22:48]

Said this for ages about Brentford, they genuinely have an identity of how they want to play regardless of manager.

Behind Ipswich, Brentford and Ajax are my two favourite teams to watch.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 09:52 - Feb 3 with 4705 viewsRobTheMonk

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 09:50 - Feb 3 by BrixtonBlue

That wasn't the discussion though. We were talking about thrashings from which there's no hope of a comeback. At 1-0 there's always a chance, thus it's not a thrashing.

Battering then.
Login to get fewer ads

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 09:59 - Feb 3 with 4686 viewsHerbivore

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 09:50 - Feb 3 by BrixtonBlue

We got battered though, totally outplayed. The initial discussion was about how inept we've looked against our rivals over the past week and it's more than fair to include the Rotherham game in that as they played us off the park.

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:01 - Feb 3 with 4687 viewsGlasgowBlue

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 09:59 - Feb 3 by Herbivore

We got battered though, totally outplayed. The initial discussion was about how inept we've looked against our rivals over the past week and it's more than fair to include the Rotherham game in that as they played us off the park.

We were definitely battered and outplayed. That we could have nicked it at the end shows how poor this league is and why we shouldn’t be so defeatist after two fery poor performers.

I have no doubt we will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:01 - Feb 3 with 4687 viewsKieran_Knows

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 12:42 - Feb 2 by Reuser_is_God

Yesterday was the first time I’ve ever booed & I purposely stayed until the end to do so.

I’m still furious about yesterday.

Ha, I had expected you to walk out with me to come back for a quick pint, but got half way over to Curve and you wasn't anywhere to be seen!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:09 - Feb 3 with 4654 viewsHerbivore

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:01 - Feb 3 by GlasgowBlue

We were definitely battered and outplayed. That we could have nicked it at the end shows how poor this league is and why we shouldn’t be so defeatist after two fery poor performers.

I have no doubt we will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

I hope you're right. Looking at our fixtures from the begiinig of April we have a very kind run in. If we don't fall away during the tougher fixtures between now and then we could still have a chance. I think the frustrating thing this season is that we'd hoped it would be a chance to build some momentum, develop a style of play, and progress some of the youngsters. All of that would have given us a decent stab at life back in the Championship. We've not really achieved any of that though, if we do go back up we'll have scraped in and won't be any better equipped to survive than we were last season.

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:20 - Feb 3 with 4650 viewspointofblue

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 18:47 - Feb 2 by BrixtonBlue

It's not the only evidence and I never said it was. I'm just suggesting that Lambert can't be completely clueless given he had us top last weekend.

Look I understand everyone's frustrations/worries I just think some of it is a bit OTT.

I see what you mean but I think we were top in spite of him, not because of him. We had enough quality and luck to defeat his pitfalls early on but that has now dried up.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:28 - Feb 3 with 4645 viewsBrixtonBlue

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:20 - Feb 3 by pointofblue

I see what you mean but I think we were top in spite of him, not because of him. We had enough quality and luck to defeat his pitfalls early on but that has now dried up.

"but that has now dried up"

It's 2 games. We were top last weekend.

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:32 - Feb 3 with 4641 viewspointofblue

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:28 - Feb 3 by BrixtonBlue

"but that has now dried up"

It's 2 games. We were top last weekend.

We’re 17th in the form table from the last three months IIRC. We’ve won four matches across that period with the best resourced side in the league. We haven’t beaten any of our promotion rivals so far and, yes, two of them basically tore us a new one over the last week.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

On Saturday, my group of miserable, downtrodden.... on 10:52 - Feb 3 with 4637 viewsBloots

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 08:18 - Feb 3 by chicoazul

....fans and myself were trying to find something positive about the club.

We genuinely couldn't.

From the wider "identity" and "5 year plan", to the basics on the pitch, there is nothing positive, interesting or even different about the club.

One of us summed it up perfectly by saying that as a club "we just exist".

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

On Saturday, my group of miserable, downtrodden.... on 11:05 - Feb 3 with 4622 viewschicoazul

On Saturday, my group of miserable, downtrodden.... on 10:52 - Feb 3 by Bloots

....fans and myself were trying to find something positive about the club.

We genuinely couldn't.

From the wider "identity" and "5 year plan", to the basics on the pitch, there is nothing positive, interesting or even different about the club.

One of us summed it up perfectly by saying that as a club "we just exist".

Well I feel there was and maybe still is a bit of momentum behind the "reconnecting with the community" stuff, which was of course de-connected from under Evans. And the fact we can muster up 22k supporters in L1 is a sign of something. There are a few positives.

But other than that sadly you're right. Much of the stuff that made supporting Ipswich good & something to be proud of - the eccentricity and Suffolk "out on a limb" weirdness, the good pitch, the conviviality to visitors, trying to play football the right way, the feel of the community & the general friendly happy nature of the club staff fans and players pulling in the same direction but not at the cost of any of the aforementioned - all gone. And what makes it worse is that lot up the road there have all that in spades if one cares about that sort of thing.

All the stuff you and I and everyone else over the age of about 35-ish grew up with is dust thanks to Evans who is now one of the 4 or 5 most important people in our history and the most destructive. Who cares anymore? What's even left to care about?

ETA; and I don't expect any of this to change if we do somehow go up this season. In fact it may become even more so.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2020 11:09]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

On Saturday, my group of miserable, downtrodden.... on 11:12 - Feb 3 with 4601 viewsFunge

On Saturday, my group of miserable, downtrodden.... on 11:05 - Feb 3 by chicoazul

Well I feel there was and maybe still is a bit of momentum behind the "reconnecting with the community" stuff, which was of course de-connected from under Evans. And the fact we can muster up 22k supporters in L1 is a sign of something. There are a few positives.

But other than that sadly you're right. Much of the stuff that made supporting Ipswich good & something to be proud of - the eccentricity and Suffolk "out on a limb" weirdness, the good pitch, the conviviality to visitors, trying to play football the right way, the feel of the community & the general friendly happy nature of the club staff fans and players pulling in the same direction but not at the cost of any of the aforementioned - all gone. And what makes it worse is that lot up the road there have all that in spades if one cares about that sort of thing.

All the stuff you and I and everyone else over the age of about 35-ish grew up with is dust thanks to Evans who is now one of the 4 or 5 most important people in our history and the most destructive. Who cares anymore? What's even left to care about?

ETA; and I don't expect any of this to change if we do somehow go up this season. In fact it may become even more so.

Terribly sad and brilliant post.
On Saturday, my group of miserable, downtrodden.... on 11:39 - Feb 3 with 4578 viewschicoazul

On Saturday, my group of miserable, downtrodden.... on 11:12 - Feb 3 by Funge

TYB. And I took no pleasure in writing it!

Exactly, and whilst the comment about..... on 11:47 - Feb 3 with 4570 viewsBloots

On Saturday, my group of miserable, downtrodden.... on 11:05 - Feb 3 by chicoazul

....the community is worth making, I'm not sure how even that is manifesting itself.

Free tickets for schools? Is that it?

There is literally nothing about us anymore.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:57 - Feb 3 with 4534 viewsGlasgowBlue

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:09 - Feb 3 by Herbivore

I hope you're right. Looking at our fixtures from the begiinig of April we have a very kind run in. If we don't fall away during the tougher fixtures between now and then we could still have a chance. I think the frustrating thing this season is that we'd hoped it would be a chance to build some momentum, develop a style of play, and progress some of the youngsters. All of that would have given us a decent stab at life back in the Championship. We've not really achieved any of that though, if we do go back up we'll have scraped in and won't be any better equipped to survive than we were last season.

We've put in maybe two or three convincing performances all season. Which is a real concern.

I don't think anyone believes that we could go to Sunderland this weekend and turn in the sort of performance that would see us put three past Sunderland. Which even at our lowest points under Keane and Jewell we could occasionally do.

We tend to "get through" games more often than not. But as I say, the league is poor so I expect we'll scrape through one way or another.

Iron Lion Zion

The problem has been... on 11:58 - Feb 3 with 4538 viewsunstableblue

This article and the sentiment of the fans of that club..... on 09:51 - Feb 3 by MrTown

Said this for ages about Brentford, they genuinely have an identity of how they want to play regardless of manager.

Behind Ipswich, Brentford and Ajax are my two favourite teams to watch.

... that Marcus has for many seasons installed Chief Execs with no football pedigree, Clegg and Milne were so ineffective its a SCANDAL - I spoke at length to Simon Clegg, and he was clearly not a football man and far too reliant on Mick for 'strategy', with zero challenge.

Our strategy in reality was 'restricted budget, hanging on in the league, whilst destroying any football ethos with longevity'.

Over these years he expected the managers to be all things football at the club; this failed miserable under Keane, stagnated under Jewell, and despite some early hope caused long term damage under Mick.

We now have Dave Bowman as 'Director of Football' - when in fact he is chief scout. And we have Lee O'Neil as 'General Manager of Football Operations', now in theory the O'Neil role has some bite and purpose - at least trying to link the academy style with the first team, and at least the first team is trying to pass. But in O'Neil's role he should be challenging the failing in system and technical game plan.

We seem a mess technically at present, not helped with injuries to KVY. But in my view we need to back Lambert in the short term, there have been passages of good play under him, and I thought the recent Lincoln display was excellent. Switching now is probably not right. And past Sunderland we could mount a run against weaker teams.

But just like Keane, Jewell, and Mick I have not seen the evidence of a technical approach and strategy at the club that will bring success at the club,and that goes beyond the manager.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Exactly, and whilst the comment about..... on 12:00 - Feb 3 with 4537 views66notout

Exactly, and whilst the comment about..... on 11:47 - Feb 3 by Bloots

....the community is worth making, I'm not sure how even that is manifesting itself.

Free tickets for schools? Is that it?

There is literally nothing about us anymore.

Behind the scenes there is a lot going on and it’s despite Evans rather than because of him. The big thing lacking is the quality of football/entertainment on offer to the loyal supporters (don’t want to call them customers). There are many worthwhile initiatives designed to connect with younger fans - school visits with free tickets is just one of them - but they mean nothing when the leadership from above is so seriously lacking. That is the fundamental problem and the history books confirm the beginning of the end for this club came under Sheepy’s watch and has continued apace since he sold to Evans, whose choice of managers, McCarthy excepted although I’m not denying the time had one for him to depart, has been appalling. And no more so than in the case of the current incumbent.
On Saturday, my group of miserable, downtrodden.... on 12:25 - Feb 3 with 4497 viewsGlasgowBlue

On Saturday, my group of miserable, downtrodden.... on 11:12 - Feb 3 by Funge

Indeed.

Iron Lion Zion

The problem has been... on 13:32 - Feb 3 with 4453 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

The problem has been... on 11:58 - Feb 3 by unstableblue

... that Marcus has for many seasons installed Chief Execs with no football pedigree, Clegg and Milne were so ineffective its a SCANDAL - I spoke at length to Simon Clegg, and he was clearly not a football man and far too reliant on Mick for 'strategy', with zero challenge.

Our strategy in reality was 'restricted budget, hanging on in the league, whilst destroying any football ethos with longevity'.

Over these years he expected the managers to be all things football at the club; this failed miserable under Keane, stagnated under Jewell, and despite some early hope caused long term damage under Mick.

We now have Dave Bowman as 'Director of Football' - when in fact he is chief scout. And we have Lee O'Neil as 'General Manager of Football Operations', now in theory the O'Neil role has some bite and purpose - at least trying to link the academy style with the first team, and at least the first team is trying to pass. But in O'Neil's role he should be challenging the failing in system and technical game plan.

We seem a mess technically at present, not helped with injuries to KVY. But in my view we need to back Lambert in the short term, there have been passages of good play under him, and I thought the recent Lincoln display was excellent. Switching now is probably not right. And past Sunderland we could mount a run against weaker teams.

But just like Keane, Jewell, and Mick I have not seen the evidence of a technical approach and strategy at the club that will bring success at the club,and that goes beyond the manager.

McCarthy has only been here 4 months when Clegg left the club

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024