Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Im watching a documentary about Roswell 15:51 - Mar 23 with 1625 viewsKeno

come on TWTD what y'all think?

Aliens, secret military stuff or just a weather balloon

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 16:05 - Mar 23 with 1403 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Aliens, IMO. I didn't used to believe in aliens with the tech to visit us - or rather I hadn't seen evidence that was compelling enough - until watching the following podcast. It's long and takes a while to get onto the UFO encounter, but it's pretty convincing;

In short - he was a 'Top Gun'. The very best of US fighter pilots, and even trained them. The object concerned was viewed by several pilots, at various heights/distances, was tracked on radar, and filmed. It was shaped like a TicTac and moved unlike anything else known.

People have argued before on here that just because someone's high up in the US forces doesn't mean they would know about secret tech in another area. But he blows away that point by arguing that if it were secret military stuff being tested, why would they test it in such a busy area (in terms of US air force already practicing there)? There's plenty of airspace you could use where there's nothing else flying about, if you wanted to keep something secret.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 16:06 - Mar 23 with 1397 viewsusm

Busy?

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 16:31 - Mar 23 with 1355 viewsKeno

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 16:06 - Mar 23 by usm

Busy?

well....actually yes but I got bored

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 20:21 - Mar 23 with 1285 viewsfactual_blue

Yes. Almost certainly.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 20:28 - Mar 23 with 1273 viewsZXBlue

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 16:05 - Mar 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

Aliens, IMO. I didn't used to believe in aliens with the tech to visit us - or rather I hadn't seen evidence that was compelling enough - until watching the following podcast. It's long and takes a while to get onto the UFO encounter, but it's pretty convincing;

In short - he was a 'Top Gun'. The very best of US fighter pilots, and even trained them. The object concerned was viewed by several pilots, at various heights/distances, was tracked on radar, and filmed. It was shaped like a TicTac and moved unlike anything else known.

People have argued before on here that just because someone's high up in the US forces doesn't mean they would know about secret tech in another area. But he blows away that point by arguing that if it were secret military stuff being tested, why would they test it in such a busy area (in terms of US air force already practicing there)? There's plenty of airspace you could use where there's nothing else flying about, if you wanted to keep something secret.

There are people convinced of all sorts of things. But no good evidence, nor rational explanation.

The idea that somethign has the technology to fly interstellar distances, and somehow then crashed is inherently silly.
Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 20:44 - Mar 23 with 1244 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

I think if more intelligent beings exist with technology beyond our comprehension, and able to bend the laws of physics, they would definitely travel 25.000.000 light years to probe Cletus from rural New Mexico.
Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 21:00 - Mar 23 with 1219 viewsMattinLondon

Definitely aliens.
Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 21:10 - Mar 23 with 1206 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I suspect the middle option. Can't see sufficient evidence to entertain the idea of regular alien visitation or the existence of highly developed lifeforms even remotely close to this solar system.

The weather balloon explanation seems like a cover. That area must have a fair amount of military research going on. Sometimes natural phenomena can be pretty spectacular and inexplicable until you know more about what is going on too.

I am sure there are plenty of people who have done well out of the alien speculation and others who have become totally absorbed in it.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 21:38 - Mar 23 with 1166 viewsKeno

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 21:10 - Mar 23 by Nthsuffolkblue

I suspect the middle option. Can't see sufficient evidence to entertain the idea of regular alien visitation or the existence of highly developed lifeforms even remotely close to this solar system.

The weather balloon explanation seems like a cover. That area must have a fair amount of military research going on. Sometimes natural phenomena can be pretty spectacular and inexplicable until you know more about what is going on too.

I am sure there are plenty of people who have done well out of the alien speculation and others who have become totally absorbed in it.

There is always this to consider

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 22:02 - Mar 23 with 1134 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 20:28 - Mar 23 by ZXBlue

There are people convinced of all sorts of things. But no good evidence, nor rational explanation.

The idea that somethign has the technology to fly interstellar distances, and somehow then crashed is inherently silly.

Here he is, Captain Sceptical. Have you watched the podcast I posted? Plenty of good evidence and rational explanation.

I'm convinced you're just scared of anything 'a bit out there.'

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 22:22 - Mar 23 with 1096 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 22:02 - Mar 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

Here he is, Captain Sceptical. Have you watched the podcast I posted? Plenty of good evidence and rational explanation.

I'm convinced you're just scared of anything 'a bit out there.'

Plenty of evidence of “unidentified dying objects” yes, evidence of extraterrestrials no.
Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 22:35 - Mar 23 with 1057 viewseireblue

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 20:28 - Mar 23 by ZXBlue

Mars Landers don’t always work well.

Bit like airplanes, it is the controlled crash, or landing I believe is the preferred term, that is quite tricky.

You get overly ambitious humans, no reasons why some aliens didn’t decided to banzai it.

“Guys, come on we can do the interstellar thing easily, lets not waste it on landing on a rock, lets scare the crap out of some backward aliens, what can go wrong”
Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 22:46 - Mar 23 with 1044 viewsfab_lover

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 16:05 - Mar 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

If what he saw was an alien ship, i.e. piloted by something /.someone from "outer space" then, as someone else has pointed out, "they" have transcended everything we know about physics...or they are incredibly, incredibly old. Or both.

Now, let's say we developed the technology to go the frankly, mind-bending distances to another planet capable of supporting life. Would we:

a) make ourselves known to the inhabitants;
b) stay undercover until we could predict how they would react to alien visitors;
c) play hide and seek with them for no discernible reason ?

Now, it could be argued that they are playing game b, but if UFOs have been around for as long as we think they have, you think they'd have sorted out the answer to question b by now.

So, if they are aliens, they're bloody odd ones, so what's being seen is probably - given again, the mind-blowing distances involved - not aliens. See the Fermi Paradox for more information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 22:48]
Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 00:09 - Mar 24 with 954 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 22:46 - Mar 23 by fab_lover

If what he saw was an alien ship, i.e. piloted by something /.someone from "outer space" then, as someone else has pointed out, "they" have transcended everything we know about physics...or they are incredibly, incredibly old. Or both.

Now, let's say we developed the technology to go the frankly, mind-bending distances to another planet capable of supporting life. Would we:

a) make ourselves known to the inhabitants;
b) stay undercover until we could predict how they would react to alien visitors;
c) play hide and seek with them for no discernible reason ?

Now, it could be argued that they are playing game b, but if UFOs have been around for as long as we think they have, you think they'd have sorted out the answer to question b by now.

So, if they are aliens, they're bloody odd ones, so what's being seen is probably - given again, the mind-blowing distances involved - not aliens. See the Fermi Paradox for more information:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 22:48]

You're putting human characteristics onto their motives. Did you watch the podcast? Doubtful given how long it is. He points out himself he doesn't know what they're doing or why. How could we possibly know?

"if they are aliens, they're bloody odd ones"

This is such a laughable statement. Aliens being odd, whoever would've thought it!

How do you explain the craft described? He, as one of the top US airforce pilots, believes it's of alien origin.

I know what the Fermi Paradox is thanks. And I'm not sure how it's relevant here. We may well have evidence of aliens but have covered it up. In which case there is no Fermi Paradox. Regardless, the Fermi Paradox isn't evidence of anything. There could be all manor of reasons - reasons we as humans don't have the intellect to fathom - as to why there's no clear evidence.

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 00:14 - Mar 24 with 948 viewsZXBlue

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 00:09 - Mar 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

You're putting human characteristics onto their motives. Did you watch the podcast? Doubtful given how long it is. He points out himself he doesn't know what they're doing or why. How could we possibly know?

This is such a laughable statement. Aliens being odd, whoever would've thought it!

How do you explain the craft described? He, as one of the top US airforce pilots, believes it's of alien origin.

I know what the Fermi Paradox is thanks. And I'm not sure how it's relevant here. We may well have evidence of aliens but have covered it up. In which case there is no Fermi Paradox. Regardless, the Fermi Paradox isn't evidence of anything. There could be all manor of reasons - reasons we as humans don't have the intellect to fathom - as to why there's no clear evidence.

"How do you explain the craft described? He, as one of the top US airforce pilots, believes it's of alien origin. "

This is what is known as an "argument from ignorance fallacy".
Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 04:21 - Mar 24 with 888 viewsbournemouthblue

I don't like the term aliens personally because the immediate vision is little green men in flying saucers

Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon or UAP is what the military refer to it as, it's 100% certain they come across it on occasion

They even unclassified a UK report which showed it had been studied quite seriously and may explain some of went on during the Rendlesham incident for example.

There were several key findings in this UK report
- if UAP is encountered, do not try to intercept it, whilst there have been no military fatalities in UK aerospace when encountering it, there may have been military fatalities in other areas of the world in doing so

- UAP appears to maneuver in an intelligent manner, making rapid velocity changes which outperform any of technology currently available to us or our enemies

- UAP possesses some characteristics beyond our current understanding of physics

- UAP emits a radar footprint

- UAP can disable and effect electrical instruments nearby

- If humans get too close to UAP it can cause burns and can cause hallucinations

- The Russians have studied UAP in more detail than our selves and it's possible military benefits

The Rendlesham Forest incident is a case where
the UFO/s, whatever they claim to have actually seen, the craft most definitely didn't crash and wasn't a conventional flying saucer either

However with anything, I always want to look at it from every angle and try and rationalise the possibilities

1) There's a rational explanation for what appear to be highly unusual circumstances behind what has been seen, can we explain it, has it been misinterpreted by human eyes, what experience does the witness have as an observer etc? This is the most common explanation.

2) The truth is half way between 1) and 3)

3) We take what is described literally and accept it's an accurate report, we investigate it thoroughly to try and see if we can learn anything from it etc, at Rendlesham you would argue the witnesses were highly credible given their roles and knowledge of the skies
[Post edited 24 Mar 2022 4:53]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 05:46 - Mar 24 with 850 viewsTractorWood

It was Bob Lazar that made me question the possibility originally.

When you consider the Drake equation, I think it helps contextualise the overwhelming probability that there are intelligent worlds elsewhere.

Humanity has seen enormous progress in tech in the last 100 years. It's difficult to imagine what the possibilities look like for us in 1,000 or even 100,000 years. I think our potential in terms of infrastructure, how and where we live is almost impossible to guess at.

To think an intelligent civilization could be millions of years old, it's not impossible to imagine it would have developed literally incomprehensible tech. Immortality, 99.99% speed of light travel or total control of physics. Experiencing that would be like a cave man seeing concorde.

The possibilities are limitless. I therefore can only reasonably conclude that everything in our wildest dreams exists and far more beyond that.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 07:56 - Mar 24 with 798 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 00:14 - Mar 24 by ZXBlue

"How do you explain the craft described? He, as one of the top US airforce pilots, believes it's of alien origin. "

This is what is known as an "argument from ignorance fallacy".

No it isn't. I'm asking what others would explain it to be and merely stating what he thought. Stop trying to be clever and answer the points.

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 07:59 - Mar 24 with 794 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 22:22 - Mar 23 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Plenty of evidence of “unidentified dying objects” yes, evidence of extraterrestrials no.

We obviously don't have any proof of what it was, I think that goes without saying.

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 08:32 - Mar 24 with 763 viewsZXBlue

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 07:56 - Mar 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

No it isn't. I'm asking what others would explain it to be and merely stating what he thought. Stop trying to be clever and answer the points.

Yes. It is, By definition. Nothing clever about it.

The answer is we don't know (and don;t even know that he saw anything for certain).

Not "We don't know, therefore aliens".
Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 08:54 - Mar 24 with 737 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 08:32 - Mar 24 by ZXBlue

Yes. It is, By definition. Nothing clever about it.

The answer is we don't know (and don;t even know that he saw anything for certain).

Not "We don't know, therefore aliens".

I didn't say, "We don't know, therefore aliens".

Why do you bother with these threads?

EDIT: As I've said above, there's no proof it's aliens. That goes without saying. So instead of stating the bleeding obvious and trying to look clever, why don't you tell us what you think it could be?

The problem with your type is, if you look at it rationally then "aliens" obviously is a valid option (not proven, just an option) but you will not entertain the idea at all. I'm convinced that people like you who shut down anything a bit "magical" are scared. It doesn't fit your rigid narrative - in fact it's a threat to it - so you have to angrily shout down these threads.

I'm not saying it is aliens. I'm saying it could be, because that seems a logical explanation. If top pilots in the US airforce are saying it doesn't move like anything in our current scientific understanding, then a reasonably alternative is it's been created by a much higher intelligence.

EDIT 2 (in answer to this bit): "and don;t even know that he saw anything for certain)."
Showing your own ignorance here. Several pilots saw it, from different heights, at the same time, whilst it was also tracked on radar and filmed. So yes we do know that he - in fact they - saw something for certain. If you're going to put something down, at least get your facts right.
[Post edited 24 Mar 2022 9:06]

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 08:58 - Mar 24 with 727 viewsfab_lover

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 00:09 - Mar 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

"There could be all manor of reasons - reasons we as humans don't have the intellect to fathom - as to why there's no clear evidence"

Indeed. And Occam's Razor comes into effect here.

It's beyond question that in the last 20 years, since we all started walking around with cameras / videorecorders in our phones, that claims of alien sightings by members of the public have gone markedly down.

The "complex" response to this is that the aliens are now aware of the tech we have so have stopped with their penchant for appearing to the public so as not to be photographed.

The "simple" response is that there were never aliens in the first place.

For what it's worth, yes, mathematically there has to be life somewhere in the universe. And yes, if they have the ability to travel here, they are so much more advanced than we are as to make their actions indistinguishable from magic, as the saying goes.

However more intelligent minds than mine have postulated how they might reveal themselves to us, with "Contact" by Carl Sagan being an excellent example of that. "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" was also I think fairly good.

"Buzzing" mainly American planes...why ?

No, I can't explain what pilots have described. However, "I don't understand what it is, so must be aliens" is similar to the historical "I don't understand what thunder is, so therefore it's God being angry". It's not scientific.
Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 09:09 - Mar 24 with 709 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 08:58 - Mar 24 by fab_lover

"There could be all manor of reasons - reasons we as humans don't have the intellect to fathom - as to why there's no clear evidence"

Indeed. And Occam's Razor comes into effect here.

It's beyond question that in the last 20 years, since we all started walking around with cameras / videorecorders in our phones, that claims of alien sightings by members of the public have gone markedly down.

The "complex" response to this is that the aliens are now aware of the tech we have so have stopped with their penchant for appearing to the public so as not to be photographed.

The "simple" response is that there were never aliens in the first place.

For what it's worth, yes, mathematically there has to be life somewhere in the universe. And yes, if they have the ability to travel here, they are so much more advanced than we are as to make their actions indistinguishable from magic, as the saying goes.

However more intelligent minds than mine have postulated how they might reveal themselves to us, with "Contact" by Carl Sagan being an excellent example of that. "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" was also I think fairly good.

"Buzzing" mainly American planes...why ?

No, I can't explain what pilots have described. However, "I don't understand what it is, so must be aliens" is similar to the historical "I don't understand what thunder is, so therefore it's God being angry". It's not scientific.

But no-one's saying "I don't understand what it is, so must be aliens."

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 09:42 - Mar 24 with 671 viewsfab_lover

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 09:09 - Mar 24 by The_Flashing_Smile

But no-one's saying "I don't understand what it is, so must be aliens."

"Aliens, IMO"

That's you, in your first post on this thread.
Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 09:48 - Mar 24 with 660 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Im watching a documentary about Roswell on 09:42 - Mar 24 by fab_lover

"Aliens, IMO"

That's you, in your first post on this thread.

That was a specific reply to Keno's question, and "my opinion" doesn't mean "it MUST BE aliens."

I've been pretty clear several times in the thread that there's no definitive proof.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024