Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How are homeopathy allowed to practise? 08:17 - Nov 9 with 22606 viewsGeoffSentence

It's not just the quackery of their 'medicine' that is an issue. The Telegraph have done an undercover investigation and discovered this.

"The majority of the homeopaths told undercover reporters that if they were in their situation they would not give their healthy young children the vaccinations recommended by the NHS."

there is more on this front in their report today, not only are they advocating pseudo-scientific nonsense but they are trying to dissuade people from proven effective medical practises.

They are dangerous.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 08:38 - Nov 9 with 3969 viewsMattinLondon

Parents who don’t vaccinate their children are just as dangerous as the charlatans who practise homeopathy.
How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 08:51 - Nov 9 with 3936 viewslowhouseblue

their advice is actually very good for you, provided you dilute it with proper science to the point where none of their advice whatsoever remains.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 09:08 - Nov 9 with 3922 viewsStokieBlue

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 08:51 - Nov 9 by lowhouseblue

their advice is actually very good for you, provided you dilute it with proper science to the point where none of their advice whatsoever remains.

Very good :).

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 09:11 - Nov 9 with 3915 viewsStokieBlue

Homeopathy is one of the worst types of woo given that it does absolutely nothing and sometimes causes people to stop treatments which could help them.

We've done this before and there will be a few citing anecdotal evidence that it works and will refuse to be corrected. There will also be a few confusing placebo and activation of the placebo.

In the end, all anyone needs to know is that homeopathy is provably false and shouldn't be practiced. At least it's off the NHS now but more needs to be done to educate people about pseudo-science in health.

SB

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 09:14 - Nov 9 with 3907 viewslongtimefan

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 08:51 - Nov 9 by lowhouseblue

Sorry. Thick fingers pressed down vote by mistake
How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 09:55 - Nov 9 with 3858 viewscaught-in-limbo

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 09:11 - Nov 9 by StokieBlue

Homeopathy is one of the worst types of woo given that it does absolutely nothing and sometimes causes people to stop treatments which could help them.

We've done this before and there will be a few citing anecdotal evidence that it works and will refuse to be corrected. There will also be a few confusing placebo and activation of the placebo.

In the end, all anyone needs to know is that homeopathy is provably false and shouldn't be practiced. At least it's off the NHS now but more needs to be done to educate people about pseudo-science in health.

SB

"There will also be a few confusing placebo and activation of the placebo. "

Would you mind explaining what you mean by this?

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 09:59 - Nov 9 with 3861 viewsStokieBlue

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 09:55 - Nov 9 by caught-in-limbo

"There will also be a few confusing placebo and activation of the placebo. "

Would you mind explaining what you mean by this?

Yes I would mind because you will twist whatever I say and turn the debate toxic like you always do.

Have a lovely day.

SB

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 10:10 - Nov 9 with 3835 viewscaught-in-limbo

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 09:59 - Nov 9 by StokieBlue

Yes I would mind because you will twist whatever I say and turn the debate toxic like you always do.

Have a lovely day.

SB

I'd say we have different opinions and we generally manage to express them without getting acrimonious. Other posters sometimes jump in with insults and someone else accused of creating the resulting toxic atmosphere.

I honestly think this site is better if opposing or challenging views can be expressed without being met with name calling. What's the point of just linking to articles in the press with the intention of confirming conformity of opinion?

With regards to twisting language, you are one of the most erudite posters on this site and I'm not sure I could twist your words. In fact, I always ask for confirmation of what you're saying to avoid such accusations... exactly as I have done here.

#toxic

Login to get fewer ads

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:15 - Nov 9 with 3782 viewsBrixtonBlue

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 09:11 - Nov 9 by StokieBlue

SB

I disagree and find your post very patronising, but there's no point getting into a debate/argument as you already know your truth. I'll just carry on doing what I know works for me and bid you good day.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:17 - Nov 9 with 3778 viewsBrixtonBlue

Snake oil became a joke and died out. Homeopathy didn't, is perfectly legal, and was even prescribed on the NHS until very recently.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:20 - Nov 9 with 3773 viewshampstead_blue

The joys of freedom.

All we can do is maintain a conversation of 'quackery' and hopefully over time they will become extinct.

The problem is that one of the biggest effects in medicine is the placebo effect. It is so powerful. Homeopathy, I think, draws on this to 'prove' efficacy.

It is dangerous. I believe in science, drugs, and nature were proven. Not forgetting tramadol and gin.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:26 - Nov 9 with 3752 viewsBrixtonBlue

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:20 - Nov 9 by hampstead_blue

The joys of freedom.

All we can do is maintain a conversation of 'quackery' and hopefully over time they will become extinct.

The problem is that one of the biggest effects in medicine is the placebo effect. It is so powerful. Homeopathy, I think, draws on this to 'prove' efficacy.

It is dangerous. I believe in science, drugs, and nature were proven. Not forgetting tramadol and gin.

Apart from the drugs that have been withdrawn due to making things worse and/or killing people, presumably?

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:29 - Nov 9 with 3743 viewssparks

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:15 - Nov 9 by BrixtonBlue

I disagree and find your post very patronising, but there's no point getting into a debate/argument as you already know your truth. I'll just carry on doing what I know works for me and bid you good day.

"Your truth"? The very existence of that concept is problematic.

Something is true if it conforms with reality. Full stop.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:30 - Nov 9 with 3739 viewssparks

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:17 - Nov 9 by BrixtonBlue

Snake oil became a joke and died out. Homeopathy didn't, is perfectly legal, and was even prescribed on the NHS until very recently.

Which illustrates the problem perfectly.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:49 - Nov 9 with 3701 viewscaught-in-limbo

Homeopathy is also available via the French national health system.

"The French health care system is one of [sic] universal health care largely financed by government national health insurance. In its 2000 assessment of world health care systems, the World Health Organization found that France provided the "best overall health care" in the world."

"The Ministry of Health directly negotiates prices of medicine with the manufacturers, based on the average price of sale observed in neighbouring countries. A board of doctors and experts decides if the medicine provides a valuable enough medical benefit to be reimbursed (note that most medicine is reimbursed, including homeopathy)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_care_in_France

So a group of experts and doctors from the world's best overall health care system (according to the WHO) have decided that homeopathy provides valuable enough medical benefit to be reimbursed.

I'm not a homeopathy user myself, but I'm grateful that it's available to me.

It would appear the advice given by many on this site to "trust experts" is in reality entirely optional and done so in accordance with their right to choose. I'm in favour of that, as everyone should be.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2019 11:52]

#toxic

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:52 - Nov 9 with 3703 viewsEwan_Oozami

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:26 - Nov 9 by BrixtonBlue

Apart from the drugs that have been withdrawn due to making things worse and/or killing people, presumably?

That's more down to the drugs companies wanting to keep their profits up,their high pressure lobbying and a failure of regulation rather than than the principle of scientific medicine being invalid - in most cases the adverse effects were known or suspected but the drugs were released anyway.

I think Labour currently has a reasonable policy on drugs manufacture IIRC?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:52 - Nov 9 with 3703 viewsStokieBlue

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:15 - Nov 9 by BrixtonBlue

It's not patronising. There is no science that supports your position outside of placebo which isn't related to the actual homeopathy itself.

I'm actually find your post rather condescending given you've decided you know more than the global effort of medical science. We've been over this before though and all your points were refuted.

I'm glad you think it works for you but that's not the homeopathy aspect that's having the effect.

I bid you good day as well.

SB

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:53 - Nov 9 with 3694 viewsStokieBlue

It was stopped being prescribed because science determined it didn't work.

You've disproved your own stance....

SB

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:55 - Nov 9 with 3685 viewsWD19

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:49 - Nov 9 by caught-in-limbo

"The French health care system is one of [sic] universal health care largely financed by government national health insurance. In its 2000 assessment of world health care systems, the World Health Organization found that France provided the "best overall health care" in the world."

"The Ministry of Health directly negotiates prices of medicine with the manufacturers, based on the average price of sale observed in neighbouring countries. A board of doctors and experts decides if the medicine provides a valuable enough medical benefit to be reimbursed (note that most medicine is reimbursed, including homeopathy)."

So a group of experts and doctors from the world's best overall health care system (according to the WHO) have decided that homeopathy provides valuable enough medical benefit to be reimbursed.

It would appear the advice given by many on this site to "trust experts" is in reality entirely optional and done so in accordance with their right to choose. I'm in favour of that, as everyone should be.

Keep up...

“Nevertheless, in July 2019 the French ministry of health announced to no longer reimburse homeopathic medicines starting from 2021 as they are deemed to "not provide sufficient public health benefits".
How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:56 - Nov 9 with 3680 viewsStokieBlue

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:49 - Nov 9 by caught-in-limbo

Appeal to authority fallacy.

I thought you hated those?

Nowhere near enough information there to know why they are providing something with no medical benefit.

SB

Edit: Oh dear, seems WD19 has answered my point quite nicely.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2019 11:57]

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:58 - Nov 9 with 3660 viewscaught-in-limbo

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:52 - Nov 9 by StokieBlue

It's not patronising. There is no science that supports your position outside of placebo which isn't related to the actual homeopathy itself.

I'm actually find your post rather condescending given you've decided you know more than the global effort of medical science. We've been over this before though and all your points were refuted.

I'm glad you think it works for you but that's not the homeopathy aspect that's having the effect.

I bid you good day as well.

SB

"There is no science that supports your position outside of placebo which isn't related to the actual homeopathy itself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the science you quote believes homeopathy to be so dilute that it is inert. Is that not exactly what the chemical composition a placebo pill is? If so, then according to science the placebo is directly related to how it views homeopathy.

#toxic

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 12:05 - Nov 9 with 3632 viewssparks

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:58 - Nov 9 by caught-in-limbo

"There is no science that supports your position outside of placebo which isn't related to the actual homeopathy itself.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the science you quote believes homeopathy to be so dilute that it is inert. Is that not exactly what the chemical composition a placebo pill is? If so, then according to science the placebo is directly related to how it views homeopathy.

Remember SB's comments above about how the conversation would go?

QED.

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 14:30 - Nov 9 with 3549 viewscaught-in-limbo

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:56 - Nov 9 by StokieBlue

Appeal to authority fallacy.

I thought you hated those?

Nowhere near enough information there to know why they are providing something with no medical benefit.

SB

Edit: Oh dear, seems WD19 has answered my point quite nicely.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2019 11:57]

"Appeal to authority fallacy. I thought you hated those?"

Funny you should say that in the post where I post the following words which describe my precise position on the matter:

"It would appear the advice given by many on this site to "trust experts" is in reality entirely optional and done so in accordance with their right to choose. I'm in favour of that, as everyone should be."

#toxic

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 14:33 - Nov 9 with 3544 viewscaught-in-limbo

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 11:55 - Nov 9 by WD19

Keep up...

“Nevertheless, in July 2019 the French ministry of health announced to no longer reimburse homeopathic medicines starting from 2021 as they are deemed to "not provide sufficient public health benefits".

Nowhere near enough information there to know why they are not providing something with "no medical benefit" after decades of doing precisely the opposite.

#toxic

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 14:38 - Nov 9 with 3537 viewscaught-in-limbo

How are homeopathy allowed to practise? on 12:05 - Nov 9 by sparks

Remember SB's comments above about how the conversation would go?

QED.

That's why I gave him an opportunity to clarify what he meant the first time round and then started my sentence with "Correct me if I'm wrong" when he turned down the opportunity to explain himself.

Ostensum est.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2019 14:39]

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024