Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Right I’m no prude, but…. 22:10 - Jan 26 with 8842 viewsMatt_Netherlands

When did C * NT become the go to word for every single football fan? Don’t get me wrong, I’ll drop the odd C Bomb every so often, but having it screamed in your ear by someone stood 6 inches behind you for 90 minutes can get a bit tiresome. The refs one, every opposition player is one, the 8,000 home fans are all one, Wesley Burns is a beautiful one, and so on and so on.

Makes me cringe when it’s used to much with younger kids or older generations around.

Anyway…. Just seems a bit symptomatic of how football fans have got a lot less classy and got a lot more Green Street over the past 20 years or so.
Right I’m no prude, but…. on 08:52 - Jan 27 with 1559 viewsGuthrum

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 22:18 - Jan 26 by footers

Swear words, and the C-word especially, need to be used wisely.

They can be the perfect addition to anything, but context is always needed.

Applied properly it can be beautiful, magnificent, but otherwise overuse just dilutes the meaning and makes someone look like an idiot.

How would you feel if cardamom was added to every dish you ate? Food for thought.
[Post edited 26 Jan 2022 22:20]

Spot on.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 09:03 - Jan 27 with 1525 viewsPJH

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 22:52 - Jan 26 by Melford

Tne never to be forgotten Derek & Clive-RIP both of them.
Right I’m no prude, but…. on 09:09 - Jan 27 with 1515 viewsSwansea_Blue

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 22:52 - Jan 26 by Melford

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 09:12 - Jan 27 with 1510 viewsSwansea_Blue

Agreed. I swear like a trooper at times, but not as a substitution for normal speech.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 20:03 - Jul 16 with 1299 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Time to revisit this. Heard something today that I’ve never heard before at a town game…

A kid sat nearby, probably about 8 years old, effing and blinding calling the ref a c***** and lots of opposition players t*****s / w******s. The strangest thing was his old man just sat there laughing along with it.

Don’t think I even knew half those words at that age.

I must really be getting old….
Right I’m no prude, but…. on 20:24 - Jul 16 with 1231 viewsspiderman

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 22:13 - Jan 26 by StochesStotasBlewe

You massive fanny

I Agree my man, afraid that todays football grounds are full of snowflakes?
Right I’m no prude, but…. on 20:28 - Jul 16 with 1221 viewsWD19

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 20:03 - Jul 16 by Matt_Netherlands

Time to revisit this. Heard something today that I’ve never heard before at a town game…

A kid sat nearby, probably about 8 years old, effing and blinding calling the ref a c***** and lots of opposition players t*****s / w******s. The strangest thing was his old man just sat there laughing along with it.

Don’t think I even knew half those words at that age.

I must really be getting old….

Maybe he was just a dwarf.

They are often quite angry.
Right I’m no prude, but…. on 20:30 - Jul 16 with 1215 viewsEddyJ

The changing vulgarity of swear words is a fascinating cultural shift.

Some words, generally those which are targeted at marginalised groups, including those with racist or homophobic connotations have become a lot less acceptable in recent years.

Conversely, all-purpose swear words have become more and more acceptable. There are lots of good reasons for this.

There is a trade-off with the racist/homophobic terms. If you take some words out of acceptable usage, others will come in to replace them.

They are great, versatile words. You can use the F or C word in so many different ways and contexts.

There is a shock value inflation. Some comedians / shows / films / people use language to shock. In order to retain shock value, you need to keep using more and more offensive terms.

What we find offensive as a society has changed. Younger generations understand that a word is not inherently offensive - the context of usage is offensive. The n word is just two sounds that you make with your mouth, like any other. It is the centuries of oppression that are part of the context of that word that make it unacceptable. The meaning of the c word, however, is just a body part.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2022 20:31]
Login to get fewer ads

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 20:49 - Jul 16 with 1159 viewsmylittletown

Yes, football fans appear to becoming more and more moronic.
The really depressing thing is the number of knuckle dragging parents who laugh along as their young kids f and blind their way through a game.
Right I’m no prude, but…. on 21:00 - Jul 16 with 1135 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 20:28 - Jul 16 by WD19

Maybe he was just a dwarf.

They are often quite angry.

He did keep banging on about a ring and a wizard to be fair….
Right I’m no prude, but…. on 21:02 - Jul 16 with 1129 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 20:24 - Jul 16 by spiderman

I Agree my man, afraid that todays football grounds are full of snowflakes?

I’d like to think there’s quite a difference between being a snowflake and thinking it’s a bit weird for an 8 year old to be calling people c*****s….
Right I’m no prude, but…. on 21:04 - Jul 16 with 1129 viewsgtsb1966

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 20:49 - Jul 16 by mylittletown

The really depressing thing is the number of knuckle dragging parents who laugh along as their young kids f and blind their way through a game.

Yeah, let's all sit there wearing half and half scarves whilst blowing vuvuzelas.
Right I’m no prude, but…. on 21:16 - Jul 16 with 1090 viewsmylittletown

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 21:04 - Jul 16 by gtsb1966

Yeah, let's all sit there wearing half and half scarves whilst blowing vuvuzelas.

Oh right, another would be hard man.
Right I’m no prude, but…. on 21:20 - Jul 16 with 1075 viewsgtsb1966

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 21:16 - Jul 16 by mylittletown

Oh right, another would be hard man.

Nope. I'll never forget my first trip to Portman Road 1975/6 . I was in a car with 4 grown ups and I was 9 years old. My mum told me to not listen to the swearing. I remember that as clear as anything. It's been going on since football began. Long may it continue.....and it always will.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2022 21:21]
Right I’m no prude, but…. on 21:26 - Jul 16 with 1062 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 21:04 - Jul 16 by gtsb1966

Nothing to do with vuvuzelas and half and half scarfs. You do realise that being a ‘proper’ fan and having a bit of class, aren’t mutually exclusive?
Right I’m no prude, but…. on 21:31 - Jul 16 with 1038 viewsgtsb1966

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 21:26 - Jul 16 by Matt_Netherlands

Nothing to do with vuvuzelas and half and half scarfs. You do realise that being a ‘proper’ fan and having a bit of class, aren’t mutually exclusive?

Absolutely but take the fan out of football who expresses his/her self with references to the ref, opposition players and fans etc and you've got the most boring atmosphere ever. If everyone who went to football had a " bit of class" the match day experience would be a lot less enjoyable.
Right I’m no prude, but…. on 21:34 - Jul 16 with 1034 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 21:31 - Jul 16 by gtsb1966

Absolutely but take the fan out of football who expresses his/her self with references to the ref, opposition players and fans etc and you've got the most boring atmosphere ever. If everyone who went to football had a " bit of class" the match day experience would be a lot less enjoyable.

Agree on that about never wanting to sanitise an atmosphere, but there’s a huge difference between someone showing a bit of passion, and a young kid running their mouth like it’s the green street kids club.
Right I’m no prude, but…. on 21:59 - Jul 16 with 988 viewsVeggie

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 20:49 - Jul 16 by mylittletown

Fans in the 80s were pretty moronic
[Post edited 16 Jul 2022 22:00]
Right I’m no prude, but…. on 22:10 - Jul 16 with 981 viewsgtsb1966

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 21:59 - Jul 16 by Veggie

Fans in the 80s were pretty moronic
[Post edited 16 Jul 2022 22:00]

Were they. Many of us on here were going in the 70's and 80's.
Right I’m no prude, but…. on 22:24 - Jul 16 with 953 viewsMattinLondon

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 22:10 - Jul 16 by gtsb1966

Were they. Many of us on here were going in the 70's and 80's.

Think you just proved Veggie’s point.
Right I’m no prude, but…. on 22:33 - Jul 16 with 944 viewsgtsb1966

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 22:24 - Jul 16 by MattinLondon

Think you just proved Veggie’s point.

Here we go .Swearing at football is as natural as it gets. If you don't like it don't go.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2022 22:35]
Right I’m no prude, but…. on 22:34 - Jul 16 with 934 viewsGlasgowBlue

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 23:24 - Jan 26 by MattinLondon

I’m sure their delicate ears can handle the odd C-word now and then.

I’m sure they can. But I still think it shows a lack of respect to use the c word in front of them.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 22:45 - Jul 16 with 920 viewsjeera

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 22:33 - Jul 16 by gtsb1966

Here we go .Swearing at football is as natural as it gets. If you don't like it don't go.

Don't be silly mate.

It's pretty dumb to keep pushing that as though it's mandatory.

People expressing themselves through singing, chanting, shouting, and when appropriate swearing is all part of football.

Swearing constantly for an hour and a half isn't. It just makes the user sound a bit thick.

Weird if people think they're impressing anyone and it's also ok to have some standards you know. For a very long time that was the sign of being a man, showing some sort of restraint.

Not squealing uncontrollably in front of every man, woman and child in the vicinity.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2022 22:47]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 22:48 - Jul 16 with 910 viewsMattinLondon

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 22:33 - Jul 16 by gtsb1966

You daft c**t.
Right I’m no prude, but…. on 22:50 - Jul 16 with 910 viewsgtsb1966

Right I’m no prude, but…. on 22:45 - Jul 16 by jeera

Don't be silly mate.

It's pretty dumb to keep pushing that as though it's mandatory.

People expressing themselves through singing, chanting, shouting, and when appropriate swearing is all part of football.

Swearing constantly for an hour and a half isn't. It just makes the user sound a bit thick.

Weird if people think they're impressing anyone and it's also ok to have some standards you know. For a very long time that was the sign of being a man, showing some sort of restraint.

Not squealing uncontrollably in front of every man, woman and child in the vicinity.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2022 22:47]

No I agree with most of what you have said . I'm not talking about using the words for 90 minutes non stop . Swearing during football is part of the game though. Watching Ipswich over the last 20 years has warranted excessive swearing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024