Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Investment 18:54 - Mar 17 with 1942 viewsFrimleyBlue

Not that we needed to see evidence,

But what a different level if investment we are already seeing from our new owners than our previous one.

Of course M.E put his money in. Not taking that away from him.. but PA system. Screen. Advertising boards. Planning permissions, new pitch work entrance. Now the land behind the ground and that's just the start.

This is a strange but nice time to be a town fan.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Investment on 18:59 - Mar 17 with 1915 viewsJ2BLUE

I need to get over it now but it still amazes me that some people were against the same because the new owners could be worse. That was like refusing to get on a lifeboat as the Titanic was sinking in case the lifeboat sunk.

We all know they are here for a profit but it's mutually beneficial if they succeed.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Investment on 19:01 - Mar 17 with 1892 viewsFrimleyBlue

Investment on 18:59 - Mar 17 by J2BLUE

I need to get over it now but it still amazes me that some people were against the same because the new owners could be worse. That was like refusing to get on a lifeboat as the Titanic was sinking in case the lifeboat sunk.

We all know they are here for a profit but it's mutually beneficial if they succeed.

Some don't like change. Especially one where there have been worse owners than the ones already in place at other clubs.

Main thing is it appears to be going well which is great.
[Post edited 17 Mar 2022 19:03]

Waka waka eh eh

Investment on 20:02 - Mar 17 with 1747 viewsKeno

did you know that one of the rescue proposals for the titanic was to move passengers onto the iceberg but it was rejected on the ground it might melt

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Investment on 20:04 - Mar 17 with 1732 viewsFrimleyBlue

Investment on 20:02 - Mar 17 by Keno

did you know that one of the rescue proposals for the titanic was to move passengers onto the iceberg but it was rejected on the ground it might melt

Did you also know.. they were going to have more lifeboats but they decided not too so they could save a couple hours on journey time.

Waka waka eh eh

Investment on 20:26 - Mar 17 with 1666 viewsCoastalblue

I was cautious, and am glad to be proved wrong. We could have ended up with some very dodgy people and if nothing else we have to thank Evans that he picked the right proposal.

As to the OP, it all feels like a weird dream, long may it continue.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Investment on 20:39 - Mar 17 with 1610 viewshoppy

Investment on 20:02 - Mar 17 by Keno

I wonder if that was the potential plot twist for Titanic II - the sequel?

Surprised they never did a follow up, given the box office success of the first movie.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Investment on 20:46 - Mar 17 with 1577 viewsKeno

Investment on 20:39 - Mar 17 by hoppy

Surprised they never did a follow up, given the box office success of the first movie.

definitely a missed opportunity there, they could have morphed it into Das Boat

Investment on 20:47 - Mar 17 with 1572 viewsFrimleyBlue

I think they should follow the 'what if' idea they did on disney plus.

What if..... Jack had a bad poker hand..

Waka waka eh eh

Login to get fewer ads

Investment on 20:48 - Mar 17 with 1559 viewsKeno

Investment on 20:47 - Mar 17 by FrimleyBlue

I think they should follow the 'what if' idea they did on disney plus.

What if..... Jack had a bad poker hand..

dont think he used is hand, a finger or two maybe

Investment on 20:52 - Mar 17 with 1548 viewsFrimleyBlue

Investment on 20:48 - Mar 17 by Keno

dont think he used is hand, a finger or two maybe

Kates to posh for such filth. How very dare you.

Waka waka eh eh

Investment on 20:52 - Mar 17 with 1546 viewsjeera

It could have been a revenge style film.

Members of the SBS land on the iceberg, set charges in strategic positions around it and speed away on rubber craft with the exploding 'berg filling the screen in the background.

The main character could make some kind of Bruce Willis type quip as it goes up.

A corny joke about ice cubes or Slush Puppies or something.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Investment on 21:00 - Mar 17 with 1527 viewsVic

I was always positive about the take over but think it was reasonable for some to have some caution before we saw the colour of their money. It’s easy to make promises, another thing to follow through with them.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Investment on 21:18 - Mar 17 with 1464 viewsjeera

Investment on 21:00 - Mar 17 by Vic

I was always positive about the take over but think it was reasonable for some to have some caution before we saw the colour of their money. It’s easy to make promises, another thing to follow through with them.

One of the few things ME did for the club was to find/wait for the correct investors.

We complain about dodgy ownership elsewhere so it makes perfect sense to not sell to just anyone who shows half an interest. It could have been a nightmare.

Apart from the odd oddball wanting to appear 'right' about something most of us understand that.

It's because 'we' waited we got this group which so far feels a wise move.

Investment on 23:42 - Mar 17 with 1313 viewsitfcsuth

To be honest, I was probably one of the more sceptical ones.

This probably due to the fact that it was an investment from GC20 which needs to make profit, there is no denying that - and I think I had become a custom to knowing under Evans we were always safe - but that was the issue, I had always just settled for being safe and stagnated.

GC20, Ashton and Co. have pulled us into the modern era of football and it’s just incredibly eye opening and how far behind we were, and how tremendously well they have done to date.

I can sit here know and say how wrong I was, and how happy I am to be wrong, and how terrific it is to have the ownership group and CEO that we do now.
Investment on 10:15 - Mar 18 with 1078 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Investment on 21:18 - Mar 17 by jeera

One of the few things ME did for the club was to find/wait for the correct investors.

We complain about dodgy ownership elsewhere so it makes perfect sense to not sell to just anyone who shows half an interest. It could have been a nightmare.

Apart from the odd oddball wanting to appear 'right' about something most of us understand that.

Very well put
Investment on 10:18 - Mar 18 with 1067 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Chris Makin being one of those who was very against the takeover. But of course that account has been removed now.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Investment on 10:24 - Mar 18 with 1049 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Investment on 20:04 - Mar 17 by FrimleyBlue

Did you also know.. they were going to have more lifeboats but they decided not too so they could save a couple hours on journey time.

Sorry, thats not right, (Titanic nerd warning)

Titanic's designer, Thomas Andrews of Harland and Wolf wanted to add another row of lifeboats inside the existing lifeboats, but it was rejected by Bruce Ismay of the White Star Line and Lord Pirrie (Andrews boss at H&W) on the grounds that it would make the decks 'look too cluttered'

Lord Pirrie stated in discussions around additional lifeboats that the ships were "virtually unsinkable and there were sufficient rafts and lifebelts to save other passengers."

[/EndNerd]
[Post edited 18 Mar 2022 10:26]

Investment on 10:32 - Mar 18 with 1021 viewsSwansea_Blue

Playing devil's advocate, some certain Bristol City fans may ask us to question whether the investment is sustainable and not leading us into debts and problems down the line.

Personally, I think we're doing great at the moment on and off the pitch and it's a breath of fresh air. It'll be interesting to see the first full set of accounts under the new owners though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Investment on 10:36 - Mar 18 with 1013 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Investment on 10:32 - Mar 18 by Swansea_Blue

Playing devil's advocate, some certain Bristol City fans may ask us to question whether the investment is sustainable and not leading us into debts and problems down the line.

Personally, I think we're doing great at the moment on and off the pitch and it's a breath of fresh air. It'll be interesting to see the first full set of accounts under the new owners though.

Not having a go at you but why should we be listening to Bristol City fans now? We aren't owned by the same people, and it's not Ashton with the money, he's an employee.

Investment on 10:42 - Mar 18 with 989 viewsSwansea_Blue

Investment on 10:36 - Mar 18 by Cheltenham_Blue

Not having a go at you but why should we be listening to Bristol City fans now? We aren't owned by the same people, and it's not Ashton with the money, he's an employee.

We don't have to listen to them, it's just that if we're not doing things sustainably it'll take a while to find out. But you're right that with us having a different ownership to them, there's no guarantee Ashton will oversee the same sort of debts here as he did at Bristol.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Investment on 11:51 - Mar 18 with 926 viewsghostofescobar

Investment on 21:18 - Mar 17 by jeera

“Dear Mr Evans, I lead a Far East based consortium (can’t tell you who is involved or where the money is coming from) and we want to buy ITFC for $80mill, so we’ll look to double what Gamechanger have offered, no questions asked (by you we mean). Await your reply.”
Do you really think Evans would have turned down a juicy offer to get more money back? His level of care for the club was shocking, so not sure why that would change if extra dollars were waved at him. I have nothing but a cynical view of that man, based on the dreadful way he ran the club into the dirt.

GhostOfEscobar

Investment on 12:13 - Mar 18 with 891 viewsChurchman

Investment on 10:24 - Mar 18 by Cheltenham_Blue

Sorry, thats not right, (Titanic nerd warning)

Titanic's designer, Thomas Andrews of Harland and Wolf wanted to add another row of lifeboats inside the existing lifeboats, but it was rejected by Bruce Ismay of the White Star Line and Lord Pirrie (Andrews boss at H&W) on the grounds that it would make the decks 'look too cluttered'

Lord Pirrie stated in discussions around additional lifeboats that the ships were "virtually unsinkable and there were sufficient rafts and lifebelts to save other passengers."

[/EndNerd]
[Post edited 18 Mar 2022 10:26]

It’s true that the ship was built to take double the number of lifeboats and there was a desire to keep the deck uncluttered. In those days lifeboats weren’t really expected to used all in one go. The idea was they’d be used to shuttle people across to a rescue vessel should any rescue be required.

It actually met Board of Trade requirements, but those were out of date with ever larger liners. The loss of Titanic in the way it was lost was just never envisaged. Titanic was a good ship design, despite 100 years of decrying it, as was demonstrated by the good service it’s sister ship RMS Olympic gave until it was scrapped in the late 30s. It’s other sister Britannia was lost in WW1, probably due to a mine.

It is noticeable that just about every passenger ship afloat immediately added increased numbers of lifeboats. White Star was not alone in under provision. What didn’t help with the loss of life was under filling what they did have. Organisation was largely chaotic, but again, it was a maiden voyage and it always took a long time for a crew to shake down and work effectively.

On the upside, the ship did have the means to communicate. New telegraphy meant that at least 700 were saved - mostly 1st and 2nd class passengers, but that’s another story. As always, a lot was learned from the disaster that makes ship travel as safe as it is today.

Odd fact: the fourth funnel was actually there for aesthetics. It was used for storage.
Investment on 12:24 - Mar 18 with 858 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Investment on 11:51 - Mar 18 by ghostofescobar

“Dear Mr Evans, I lead a Far East based consortium (can’t tell you who is involved or where the money is coming from) and we want to buy ITFC for $80mill, so we’ll look to double what Gamechanger have offered, no questions asked (by you we mean). Await your reply.”
Do you really think Evans would have turned down a juicy offer to get more money back? His level of care for the club was shocking, so not sure why that would change if extra dollars were waved at him. I have nothing but a cynical view of that man, based on the dreadful way he ran the club into the dirt.

Evans evidently took great care in ensuring that the purchaser was a long-term better fit for the club than him. Seems odd to hypothesise something as ridiculous because you have a cynical view.

We all accept that Evans did not invest in much other than the first team squad and coaching staff, and his £2m a year in the academy. He made some very bad decisions and ultimately took us backwards in an era when football finances changed massively. We'd have been much better off if he'd paid an Ashton type a few hundred grand a year to run the club and kept out of it.

We move on. Let's hope we get out of this league ASAP because we have engaged investors who will smell a big opportunity if we get into the Championship given the current state of football finances generally.
Investment on 13:52 - Mar 18 with 744 viewsghostofescobar

Investment on 12:24 - Mar 18 by PrideOfTheEast

Evans evidently took great care in ensuring that the purchaser was a long-term better fit for the club than him. Seems odd to hypothesise something as ridiculous because you have a cynical view.

We all accept that Evans did not invest in much other than the first team squad and coaching staff, and his £2m a year in the academy. He made some very bad decisions and ultimately took us backwards in an era when football finances changed massively. We'd have been much better off if he'd paid an Ashton type a few hundred grand a year to run the club and kept out of it.

We move on. Let's hope we get out of this league ASAP because we have engaged investors who will smell a big opportunity if we get into the Championship given the current state of football finances generally.

Not really all that odd when put against the context of the previous decade and the terrible way he ran the club, with very little apparent care at all.

GhostOfEscobar

Investment on 13:57 - Mar 18 with 733 viewsjeera

Investment on 13:52 - Mar 18 by ghostofescobar

Not really all that odd when put against the context of the previous decade and the terrible way he ran the club, with very little apparent care at all.

We can be unhappy with the way the club was run without getting carried away and rewriting what the man said repeatedly over the past few years.

He reiterated he would not sell to anyone he suspected wouldn't be a right fit.

You can dislike someone whilst still correctly representing them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024