Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. 14:32 - Jul 18 with 1737 viewsunstableblue

.... communicates to all players his plans for selection, and how he positions new incoming players, and where they fit... and this will also be influenced by media speculation on incoming players

Its how he keeps a large dressing room happy and feeling involved

McKenna will have an emerging go-to starting 11 in his mind, and his priority players to sub on during a game, to change a game. See below the current make-up of the squad, with potential preferred and back-ups. With McKenna going to demand a much more energetic and breaking the lines attack than last seasons passing around the edge, hence Harness.

---------------------------------------Walton (Hdalky, Hayes)
--------------Doncien------------Wolfenden (Ndaba)-------Edmundson (Burgess)
Burns (KVY)-------Ball (Evans)--Morsy (Humphreys, El Miz, Harper)---Leigh (Penney)
---------------------Harness (Aluko)----------------------Chaplin (John-Jules, Edwards)
------------------------------------------Ladapo (Jackson)

That's 25 players, with perhaps 2 more incoming and perhaps Penney, Harper heading out, and El Miz and Humphreys on recall loans... it still remains a large squad. The pizza cup and league cup are essential, but really don't keep an Evans, a Jackson, an Aluko happy.

Ball is one who in a recent interview has stated he expects to start.

How do you keep a Leigh informed that he is still integral to the teams plans, when bids to Leeds are going in. How does Jackson feel when his new contract seemed it indicate him as the main man, and yet John-Jules, Ladapo and perhaps AN Other are ahead of him.

McKenna is clearly very bright, a good people manager, but it'll be a tough challenge to paint a clear vision for all the players, and their roles, to keep them happy. Ultimately 3, 4, 5 good players, players who will feel they are very worthy of a League One start, will be regularly disappointed. Good luck boss!

But of course injuries are always around the corner and the squad is there to accommodate these - this is a key message that McKenna is bound to use ... "BE READY - look at Jackson, Evans, Edwards, Edmundson last term. Look at Burns potentially leaving for world cup"

Think we'll still see a few surprises when we're 4 games in.. perhaps Ladapo doesn't settle into goals and Jackson/JJ get into goals and form. Maybe Aluko becomes undroppable at the expense of Harness, or Burns can't recapture his form and Harness steps in.... so many combinations and permutations. Those team sheets this season will fascinate.

Another dynamic is who makes the match day bench... that is a morale boost, a player feels more involved, a chance to come on... Perhaps our starting 7 subs from the above will be:
GK - Hdalky
FB - KVY
CB - Burgess
MF - Evans
ATk - Jackson, JJ, Aluko
Leaving the likes of Ndaba, Edwards, El Miz/Harper out in the cold.

On another note one thing I really don't want to see is rotation for the sake of it... or to meet some idea of avoiding fatigue... the likes of Chaplin NEED a run, that was a McKenna error last term.

I thank you.... and welcome questions..... now to turn my fan up

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 14:35 - Jul 18 with 1675 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Just a point on the matchday bench.

If he is fit, Kyle Edwards should never be out of the 18 purely on the basis nobody else in this squad can do what he does (excluding Harness, ive only seen him play a couple of times) but even so. Edwards should always be in the squad.

Which i suppose in itself contributes to the issue you are raising
[Post edited 18 Jul 2022 14:38]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 14:36 - Jul 18 with 1675 viewsMediocre_Quick

Harness over Aluko? Interesting take, would love to know the thinking behind that one
HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 14:36 - Jul 18 with 1684 viewsbluefunk

A basic flaw in your post is tha KM said in an interview that he would pick his players depending on the specific challenges presented by the opposition

From His interview on Saturday
No, I think with the strength of our squad, I’m not really interested in the thought of a first-choice XI,” he said.

“I think if you want to have really, really good depth like we have, you can’t play the same XI every week.

“I’m not interested in what our first-choice XI, I’m interested in having a really strong group of players and having the right team available for different games.

Edited to add the quote
[Post edited 18 Jul 2022 14:39]
HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 14:42 - Jul 18 with 1594 viewsunstableblue

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 14:36 - Jul 18 by bluefunk

A basic flaw in your post is tha KM said in an interview that he would pick his players depending on the specific challenges presented by the opposition

No, I think with the strength of our squad, I’m not really interested in the thought of a first-choice XI,” he said.

“I think if you want to have really, really good depth like we have, you can’t play the same XI every week.

“I’m not interested in what our first-choice XI, I’m interested in having a really strong group of players and having the right team available for different games.

Edited to add the quote

Thanks for sharing that quote. And I like McKenna's insight.

But I am afraid probably the only criticism of McKenna to date (well apart from thinking scoring bags of goals against an appalling Gillingham, didn't mean we needed a striker in the Jan transfer window, and playing Carrol once over Bakinson, which was very ill advised)

I'm all for data driven squad analysis, and tweaks to suit STRONGER opposition. But players need runs of games to get and stay in form... and partnerships take time to gel... we loved getting that settled 3 CB selection, we loved the Donacien/Burns duo... why rotate the starting from 3 so heavily... just train into the team a switch of personnel and approach on 70mins... especially the front three. But i just don't think rotation at this level is right.

But that's my opinion. What's yours?
[Post edited 18 Jul 2022 14:43]

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 14:47 - Jul 18 with 1528 viewsunstableblue

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 14:36 - Jul 18 by Mediocre_Quick

Harness over Aluko? Interesting take, would love to know the thinking behind that one

Yes I think so.. can the starting 11 have both Chaplin and Aluko. We need pace and driving through the lines... Aluko is brilliant, I love him, he looks so good on the ball.. but we lacked energy and cutting into teams last year... what did Aluko get 3 goals and 1 assist? in 30 appearances

Quoting McKenna on Harness:

“Has a lot of different attributes. Technically he's very, very good. He's very good taking a ball between the lines, driving forward, taking people on one-v-one and he has a good record of scoring and making goals."

Also..... on 14:57 - Jul 18 with 1480 viewsunstableblue

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 14:36 - Jul 18 by bluefunk

Edited to add the quote

... McKenna may state "I’m not interested in what our first-choice XI" but as proven last year... he does tend to have a starting 7, doesn't he... unless a new left wing back comes in... then we'll definitely start these 7 for the first 2 or 3 games at least:

Walton, Burns, Donacien, Wolf, Edmundson, Leigh, Morsy

You can probably add Ball to that..

Where he seems to rotate is the front 3 and central mid

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 15:17 - Jul 18 with 1395 viewsStewart27

Good post.

Question mark I’ve your comment on Jackson being the main man. Jackson is incredibly fortunate to have another contract.
HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 15:19 - Jul 18 with 1372 viewsSTYG

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 15:17 - Jul 18 by Stewart27

Good post.

Question mark I’ve your comment on Jackson being the main man. Jackson is incredibly fortunate to have another contract.

Why is he?

A new manager came in, played to his strengths and he got 3 goals and 3 assists in 7 games.

Regardless of what happened before that, McKenna can only judge Jackson on what he did under him and he was like a different player.

Given how appalling Hurst, Lambert and Cook have proven to be, I wouldn't judge anyone too harshly who didn't perform under them and, at times, Jackson was very good for us, especially in that first season after relegation.
Login to get fewer ads

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 15:20 - Jul 18 with 1354 viewshomer_123

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 15:17 - Jul 18 by Stewart27

Good post.

Is he?

I don't think so.

Being played out of position by our previous incumbent he still delivered goals and assists and showed, in the few games under KM that he fits this style very well indeed.

For me, a very worthy asset and certainly above the likes of Pigot and the two new signings.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 15:21 - Jul 18 with 1344 viewsunstableblue

Good post.

Players have ‘that season’… I have that sneaky feeling this could be Jacksons.

Agree he’s never really made it here, and sometimes looks League One pedigree only.

But he has scored for us, he has delivered assists, he has pace… and in McKenna we trust to coach more from him.

But as per the drive of my thread… will he ever get a run of game time to work himself into form?!

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 15:23 - Jul 18 with 1325 viewshomer_123

Generally speaking - the most successful teams are those that have a strong core that play the majority of games.

I like that KM is conscious of putting together a team based on the opposition though which means that personnel and formation (or at least player instructions and requirements) will differ from match to match.

Based on what we saw last year, in a very simplistic way, he just needs to find a way to get the team to put the ball in the back of the net a little more. We were more then solid enough, we created but didn't quite convert enough.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Also..... on 15:24 - Jul 18 with 1322 viewsbluefunk

Also..... on 14:57 - Jul 18 by unstableblue

... McKenna may state "I’m not interested in what our first-choice XI" but as proven last year... he does tend to have a starting 7, doesn't he... unless a new left wing back comes in... then we'll definitely start these 7 for the first 2 or 3 games at least:

Walton, Burns, Donacien, Wolf, Edmundson, Leigh, Morsy

You can probably add Ball to that..

Where he seems to rotate is the front 3 and central mid

I think KM is responding to the way the game will be played next season. I agree he didn’t disturb the relationship between Edmondson, Woolfie and Donacien, and always picked Burns and Morsy when fit, but otherwise he was happy to change his central midfield pairing, as well as his forwards. Next season, he will be able to change half his outfield players as the game progresses, so expect to continue to see rotation with the starting eleven.

I don’t necessarily see Leigh exclusively as a wing back, he could just as easily appear on the left of the 3 and allow Edmondson to move to the centre or right, both his more natural positions. We have options for left midfield/wingback, but that is an obvious area for a new recruit, as is a forward, but also it appears we will only sign versatile players.

As for shape, the same interview indicated that the system is about different structures for different periods of the game - the most obvious being the back 3 looking more like a 4 when we go forward, which is clearly the reason for the search for versatility

Essentially he will have 2 players for every position (whatever the formation!) and I think any additions will inevitably will see current squad members moving on, given the limits to squad size imposed by the EFL
HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 15:33 - Jul 18 with 1265 viewsclive_baker

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 15:23 - Jul 18 by homer_123

Generally speaking - the most successful teams are those that have a strong core that play the majority of games.

I like that KM is conscious of putting together a team based on the opposition though which means that personnel and formation (or at least player instructions and requirements) will differ from match to match.

Based on what we saw last year, in a very simplistic way, he just needs to find a way to get the team to put the ball in the back of the net a little more. We were more then solid enough, we created but didn't quite convert enough.

Yeah I agree, I think finding that balance between on the one hand allowing for consistency and maintaining form and partnerships, but also tailoring a side to the opposition and avoiding burnout is the fine line that KM will need to tow.

I think the core of Walton, Woolfenden, Edmundson, Donacien, Burns, Morsy should and will be starting week in, week out. A stable defensive unit is important. Ideally we'll add a left back into the mix that we can hang our hat on too (might well be Leigh, who knows), and one of Evans or Ball will have to make the position their own alongside Morsy.

I think he'll heavily rotate the 'front 3', primarily among the 6 of Aluko, Chaplin, Harness, Ladapo, Jackson, J-J. Plus perhaps 1 or 2 more who might come in, a la Celina and / or Hirst. That's where it's going to be a real test of KM to get those calls right, keep players engaged and motivated, and not overly rotate.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 15:36 - Jul 18 with 1227 viewsHighgateBlue

I would just note that with additional subs able to be used, that means:

(i) more players might get to the end of the day happy that they have had some game time rather than none,

(ii) we can still give a player (Chaplin is your example) a run of games whilst not necessarily giving them 90 mins. We can give them the confidence boost of being nominally 1st choice and also the fitness boost of getting, say, 70 minutes, and then also have a look at other players, especially if we are winning games, which we hope to be doing more than last season from the off,

(iii) a big squad has an enhanced value that it didn't have when fewer subs were allowed to be used.
HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 15:47 - Jul 18 with 1174 viewsunstableblue

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 15:33 - Jul 18 by clive_baker

Yeah I agree, I think finding that balance between on the one hand allowing for consistency and maintaining form and partnerships, but also tailoring a side to the opposition and avoiding burnout is the fine line that KM will need to tow.

I think the core of Walton, Woolfenden, Edmundson, Donacien, Burns, Morsy should and will be starting week in, week out. A stable defensive unit is important. Ideally we'll add a left back into the mix that we can hang our hat on too (might well be Leigh, who knows), and one of Evans or Ball will have to make the position their own alongside Morsy.

I think he'll heavily rotate the 'front 3', primarily among the 6 of Aluko, Chaplin, Harness, Ladapo, Jackson, J-J. Plus perhaps 1 or 2 more who might come in, a la Celina and / or Hirst. That's where it's going to be a real test of KM to get those calls right, keep players engaged and motivated, and not overly rotate.

Yes as per some of my replies below, think you me post sums up my thoughts…

He does actually have a preferred 6, he’d like that to be 7 with a Leigh or AN Other working out… Ball might even make it 8 (he is definitely a player who does not like being left out)

And i agree with the 5 subs we can rotate the front 3 out of 6 and then players ARE getting game time….. BUT and it’s a big but, 20mins cameos are no the same as starting and building into a game

Gonna be a big challenge for McKenna and perhaps more players will move out than we think

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 16:10 - Jul 18 with 1104 viewsStewart27

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 15:19 - Jul 18 by STYG

Why is he?

A new manager came in, played to his strengths and he got 3 goals and 3 assists in 7 games.

Regardless of what happened before that, McKenna can only judge Jackson on what he did under him and he was like a different player.

Given how appalling Hurst, Lambert and Cook have proven to be, I wouldn't judge anyone too harshly who didn't perform under them and, at times, Jackson was very good for us, especially in that first season after relegation.

I’ll judge him over a season and hope I’m proved very wrong.
HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 16:12 - Jul 18 with 1099 viewsStewart27

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 15:20 - Jul 18 by homer_123

Is he?

I don't think so.

Being played out of position by our previous incumbent he still delivered goals and assists and showed, in the few games under KM that he fits this style very well indeed.

For me, a very worthy asset and certainly above the likes of Pigot and the two new signings.

I don’t think we can judge the new signings just yet can we?

Hope you’re right, but I can only judge Jackson over the past three years.

I get he’s been better under KM. Let’s hope he sustains it.
HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 16:13 - Jul 18 with 1105 viewslongtimefan

What's the rule on named squad size now? It was originally going to be down to 20 (excluding u20s) for this season, but I'm not sure whether that's still the case as the PFA were challenging it.
HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 17:10 - Jul 18 with 994 viewsNthQldITFC

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 15:36 - Jul 18 by HighgateBlue

I would just note that with additional subs able to be used, that means:

(i) more players might get to the end of the day happy that they have had some game time rather than none,

(ii) we can still give a player (Chaplin is your example) a run of games whilst not necessarily giving them 90 mins. We can give them the confidence boost of being nominally 1st choice and also the fitness boost of getting, say, 70 minutes, and then also have a look at other players, especially if we are winning games, which we hope to be doing more than last season from the off,

(iii) a big squad has an enhanced value that it didn't have when fewer subs were allowed to be used.

(iv) non-first choice players that have had those extra 30 mins as subs more frequently, won't be coming into the team as 'cold' (in terms of being up to match speed) in the event of an injury to a first choice player.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 18:19 - Jul 18 with 885 viewsGuthrum

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 16:13 - Jul 18 by longtimefan

What's the rule on named squad size now? It was originally going to be down to 20 (excluding u20s) for this season, but I'm not sure whether that's still the case as the PFA were challenging it.

Excluding U20s and goalkeepers. Tho I don't know what's actually been decided for this season either.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 18:54 - Jul 18 with 772 viewsOsborneOneNil

Good post.

I think that’s a fair shout. Had a good spell end of last season but he’s been worse than average for the most part.

Here’s hoping for a good season under KM
HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 19:00 - Jul 18 with 759 viewsibbleobble

Just play FM22. Should give you the info you need.
HAPPY SQUAD: A fascinating squad/dressing room dynamic must be how the manager.. on 19:28 - Jul 18 with 707 viewscbower

Train hard. Play well when you are picked, make a difference when you come off the bench. A player can do no more.

bluescouser

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024