Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) 09:36 - May 10 with 3558 viewsMrTown

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 10:33 - May 10 with 887 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Probably not. We need to sign a appropriate partner for Woolfenden - somebody with a couple of hundred games under their belt, good in the air, aggressive in the tackle etc...Berra type.
Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 10:36 - May 10 with 881 viewsWallingford_Boy

MASSIVE YES, but no chance Arsenal would let him go, they regard him VERY highly.

Makes me giggle those that say "no" to this question, a few bad performances and thats it, he's written off.

Being a young CB is not easy, far tougher than more attacking positions, if you cannot see the potential in a player like McGuinness, especially in Division 3, then I cannot really take anything you say seriously.

RIP Sir Bobby

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 10:51 - May 10 with 861 viewsWickets

Yes of course a young boy who has done ok ,a few mistakes but name me a player who has not made mistakes , Think its his first season in men's football , a young right sided centre back who has had to play on the left . I would take him in a heart beat . Every chance in a few years time he will be a really good centre back . I can well remember a few years ago AMN playing his first season in men's football, different position of course he struggled towards the end of the season and many decided he was crap !!
Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 11:00 - May 10 with 842 viewsMrTown

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 10:36 - May 10 by Wallingford_Boy

MASSIVE YES, but no chance Arsenal would let him go, they regard him VERY highly.

Makes me giggle those that say "no" to this question, a few bad performances and thats it, he's written off.

Being a young CB is not easy, far tougher than more attacking positions, if you cannot see the potential in a player like McGuinness, especially in Division 3, then I cannot really take anything you say seriously.

I personally would take him. Think he has the potential to be a very good defender.

Still only 20 with his first season under his belt.

Still got a lot to learn, still got a long way to go. Can’t see him making it at Arsenal ever, so the prospect of a long term deal, development plan and regular football could really appeal to him.

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 11:02 - May 10 with 840 viewsclive_baker

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 10:36 - May 10 by Wallingford_Boy

Do they rate him 'VERY highly' though?

Of course they'll talk up their prospects, but really the proof is in the pudding. McGuiness couldn't get into the Arsenal U23 side last season, he played 4 times. He's not a regular for ROI U21's where he's behind the likes of Masterson, who himself couldn't get a game at relegated Swindon this season. For half of this season McGuinness barely got in our average League 1 side, and had Wilson been fit he probably would've played even less than he did. He's not even the best central defensive prospect Arsenal have out on loan at this level. Daniel Ballard at Blackpool is rightly attracting more attention.

For me I think he has all the attributes for the league we're in at the moment, and will only improve as he becomes more experienced, but we have a finite amount to spend and need to spend it in the right areas. With Woolfenden here already, I think we need an experienced head alongside.

This is a thread we need to bookmark and revisit in 5 years time when we're in the Champions League and McGuiness is on the bench at Stevenage.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 11:17 - May 10 with 821 viewsWallingford_Boy

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 11:02 - May 10 by clive_baker

Of course they'll talk up their prospects, but really the proof is in the pudding. McGuiness couldn't get into the Arsenal U23 side last season, he played 4 times. He's not a regular for ROI U21's where he's behind the likes of Masterson, who himself couldn't get a game at relegated Swindon this season. For half of this season McGuinness barely got in our average League 1 side, and had Wilson been fit he probably would've played even less than he did. He's not even the best central defensive prospect Arsenal have out on loan at this level. Daniel Ballard at Blackpool is rightly attracting more attention.

For me I think he has all the attributes for the league we're in at the moment, and will only improve as he becomes more experienced, but we have a finite amount to spend and need to spend it in the right areas. With Woolfenden here already, I think we need an experienced head alongside.

This is a thread we need to bookmark and revisit in 5 years time when we're in the Champions League and McGuiness is on the bench at Stevenage.

As previously mentioned CBs take longer to mature, Arsenal do view him as a potential first teamer in a few years (according to friends who are season ticket holders there) and a Championship loan move is the plan for next season for him.

The fact Cook wanted to play him regularly, despite him being a loanee over others speaks volumes.

But yes, he may well never make it at Arsenal, but I would imagine he'll have a decent career in the game somewhere, shame it won't be here.

RIP Sir Bobby

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 11:21 - May 10 with 811 viewsBondiBlue

To replace woolfenden if a decent bid comes in, yes. Definitely not to partner him.

Poll: Which would you accept?

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 11:49 - May 10 with 794 viewsHerbivore

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 11:02 - May 10 by clive_baker

Yeah, I really think the talk of him being very highly rated by Arsenal is a bit of nonsense to be honest. As you say, he barely got in their under 23 side last season and he looks absolutely miles off being ready for Championship football let alone pushing towards being part of the Arsenal squad over the next few years.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 12:04 - May 10 with 771 viewsEly_Blue

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 11:17 - May 10 by Wallingford_Boy

As previously mentioned CBs take longer to mature, Arsenal do view him as a potential first teamer in a few years (according to friends who are season ticket holders there) and a Championship loan move is the plan for next season for him.

The fact Cook wanted to play him regularly, despite him being a loanee over others speaks volumes.

But yes, he may well never make it at Arsenal, but I would imagine he'll have a decent career in the game somewhere, shame it won't be here.

You do know why Cook was playing him in the last few games don’t you ahead of an Nsiala or Chambers?
Take a look at yesterday’s team, 8 players who are under contract for next season, 1 who was at RB out of contract but played as a necessity and 2 loaners who it doesn’t matter if they get injured in the last game of the season.

I’d expect to see all of the 8 here next season and the rest gone tbh

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 12:11 - May 10 with 761 viewsMrTown

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 11:49 - May 10 by Herbivore

Yeah, I really think the talk of him being very highly rated by Arsenal is a bit of nonsense to be honest. As you say, he barely got in their under 23 side last season and he looks absolutely miles off being ready for Championship football let alone pushing towards being part of the Arsenal squad over the next few years.

It seems to be every player coming through big club academies these days are 'highly regarded', so I take that with a pinch of salt.

I agree he isn't ready for Championship football, and not going to make it at Arsenal. I mean have another 20 year old called William Saliba, who they spent £27m on to bring in from St Etienne.

He has since had 2 loan spells in Ligue 1, with St Etienne and Nice and is still seen as long way off being a regular for the first team.

So for MM, he has potential, and lot of it, but to the extent of being a first teamer at Arsenal is a long way off in my opinion.

If we could offer a long term deal with regular football it could really benefit both parties long term.
[Post edited 10 May 2021 12:40]

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 13:21 - May 10 with 707 viewsyorkshireblue

I would, yes.

I think he's got a decent career ahead of him - potentially not at Arsenal but I confidently predict he'll be playing regularly in the Premier League before we are.
Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 13:23 - May 10 with 703 viewschrismakin

Think it's safe to say hes gone. Said his goodbyes etc

With baggotts here and not that much difference in age. We need to develop him imo.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 13:31 - May 10 with 695 viewspositivity

no, woolfenden looks less error prone, so I'd keep him and sign a leader alongside him

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 13:36 - May 10 with 689 viewssouthnorfolkblue

No. We don’t need another promising youngster. We need an experienced head to play alongside Wolf, Ndaba, Baggott etc

Poll: Our final position

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 16:11 - May 10 with 637 viewsRobTheMonk

Stick him with someone who can talk him through games and it's a yes. He needs bossed about in that regard.
Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 16:15 - May 10 with 634 viewsdominiciawful

No.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 16:49 - May 10 with 601 viewsGeoffSentence

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 09:50 - May 10 by clive_baker

He's an odd one really, a real throwback and I think in time he could be a solid enough centre half, maybe at Championship level but certainly League 1. There's not cat in hell's chance he'll make it at Arsenal, he's so anti modern footballer. He's outrageously strong, excellent in the air, massive leap and reads the game pretty well. My issue with him as well as his tendency to lose concentration and make a mistake (which he can learn to eradicate over time for sure), is he's also as slow as sh1t, and has the turning circle of the Ever Given. He always wants to hold a really deep defensive line which he's understandably much more comfortable doing, but he frustrates me to watch as he either gives a pacey forward a few yards to make sure he's not getting done, or he'll go through the back of them unnecessarily. The amount of freekicks he gives away is criminal.

It's a no from me. He's looked a cut above Woolfy this season but we've seen what Woolfy can do, and I think he needs the benefit of the doubt to come back stronger next season with an experienced head next to him. I would be very keen to see McGreal come in some capacity as has been rumoured, assistant maybe. An excellent defender in his day and had an average Colchester squad looking very tight at the back. I think Woolfy, Baggott etc would really benefit from working with someone like him.
[Post edited 10 May 2021 9:53]

These sort of insights interest me. How do you know that he always wants to hold a really deep defensive line rather than that he's following instructions from a coach or manager?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 16:52 - May 10 with 595 viewschrismakin

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 16:49 - May 10 by GeoffSentence

These sort of insights interest me. How do you know that he always wants to hold a really deep defensive line rather than that he's following instructions from a coach or manager?

When your midfielders are near the opposing box. You dont want your own backline sat outside yours.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 17:00 - May 10 with 589 viewsN2_Blue

NO!

We need the opposite of McGuiness imo. A seasoned experienced pro, strong that will do the dirty work and out battle any forward in this league...potentially a captain, not a youngster who has a times struggled and still has so much to learn.

Potentially he could come good but for me that's not going to be next season as we need players ready for next year fullstop.

Personally I've not even than convinced he is that great a defender. Just because he is fairly comfortable on the ball and got some fans jizzing themselves because he did a couple of drag backs on the half way line doesn't mean he will be an excellent CB. He's positionally susceptible and error prone and takes unnecessary risks.

I'd rather an experienced "If in doubt, get it out" CB than a naïve fancy risktaker of a CB that lacks experience.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 17:01 - May 10 with 580 viewschrismakin

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 17:00 - May 10 by N2_Blue

NO!

We need the opposite of McGuiness imo. A seasoned experienced pro, strong that will do the dirty work and out battle any forward in this league...potentially a captain, not a youngster who has a times struggled and still has so much to learn.

Potentially he could come good but for me that's not going to be next season as we need players ready for next year fullstop.

Personally I've not even than convinced he is that great a defender. Just because he is fairly comfortable on the ball and got some fans jizzing themselves because he did a couple of drag backs on the half way line doesn't mean he will be an excellent CB. He's positionally susceptible and error prone and takes unnecessary risks.

I'd rather an experienced "If in doubt, get it out" CB than a naïve fancy risktaker of a CB that lacks experience.

We need a De Vos

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 17:10 - May 10 with 568 viewsclive_baker

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 16:49 - May 10 by GeoffSentence

I mean it might be under instruction but if you watch him he always sits really deep when he's playing against pace. He looks terrified of being turned, so what he tends to do is try not to get too tight and gives himself an extra couple of yards, which compromises any ability to catch them offside and generally means they have the luxury of a ball over or in behind the fullback with no threat of offside, which gets us turned around and facing our own goal. I think ultimately he lacks that yard of pace to me. He's a monster in the air and I think he's one of those players that'll still be around at 35, probably skippering his side in Mogga-esque fashion with all his years of experience, almost having grown into his style. I just think pace is so important in the modern game, especially at the highest level, unless you're exceptional, and I think that'll hold him back a little. Its tended to be pace that he's struggled to play against this season IMO.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Would you take Mark McGuinness on a permanent deal? (n/t) on 17:22 - May 10 with 559 viewsWickets

I would prefer Callum Connelly though .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024