Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. 08:26 - Sep 16 with 9785 viewsgordon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41289080

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 09:10 - Sep 16 with 5391 viewsfactual_blue

He is gross, and we should catch him Iin a big net and drop the weighted net in the middle of Windermere.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 10:17 - Sep 16 with 5332 viewsDeano69

This is NET

This is GROSS

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:58 - Sep 16 with 5282 viewsblue_oyster

Did you read his article?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 13:02 - Sep 16 with 5286 viewsgordon

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:58 - Sep 16 by blue_oyster

Did you read his article?

Christ no.
BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 13:05 - Sep 16 with 5275 viewsSteve_M

The sort of man who makes his leadership bid the day after a terrorist attack would clearly make a fine Prime Minister.

Undermines May's upcoming speech too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 13:24 - Sep 16 with 5256 viewsJ2BLUE

'So the amount sent to the EU in 2014 was £276m per week, after the rebate.'

14.35 billion pounds per year. The NHS faces a £10bn annual shortfall by 2020. We could therefore fund our NHS instead. I'm not defending the £350m figure, it should never have been used but we could use that money to fulfil the suggestion on the bus.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 13:32 - Sep 16 with 5237 viewsblue_oyster

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 13:02 - Sep 16 by gordon

Christ no.

Indeed, this is obvious from the title of the thread.

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 13:45 - Sep 16 with 5228 viewsDarth_Koont

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 13:24 - Sep 16 by J2BLUE

14.35 billion pounds per year. The NHS faces a £10bn annual shortfall by 2020. We could therefore fund our NHS instead. I'm not defending the £350m figure, it should never have been used but we could use that money to fulfil the suggestion on the bus.

Still doesn't take into account the money then spent by the EU in the UK. Isn't the net figure more like 150 million per week?

And we could pay more for our NHS anyway. The reason we don't is almost purely ideological (belief in low tax and free enterprise to fill gaps in essential services).

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 13:49 - Sep 16 with 5217 viewsgordon

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 13:24 - Sep 16 by J2BLUE

"Once we have settled our accounts, we will take back control of roughly £350m per week. It would be a fine thing as many of us have pointed out if a lot of that money went on the NHS, provided we use that cash injection to modernise and make the most of new technology..."

Excellent use of the word 'roughly', lol.
BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 13:50 - Sep 16 with 5209 viewsJ2BLUE

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 13:45 - Sep 16 by Darth_Koont

Still doesn't take into account the money then spent by the EU in the UK. Isn't the net figure more like 150 million per week?

And we could pay more for our NHS anyway. The reason we don't is almost purely ideological (belief in low tax and free enterprise to fill gaps in essential services).

But we could still redirect that money to the NHS and have £4bn left over for other things assuming income remains the same over the long term.

As one of the more balanced remainers do you not look a the EU and how they've reacted since the vote and sympathise with Brexiters? France, Germany and the EU officials have no interest whatsoever in reforming the EU. It's full steam ahead with ever closer union.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 14:06 - Sep 16 with 5177 viewsDarth_Koont

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 13:50 - Sep 16 by J2BLUE

But we could still redirect that money to the NHS and have £4bn left over for other things assuming income remains the same over the long term.

As one of the more balanced remainers do you not look a the EU and how they've reacted since the vote and sympathise with Brexiters? France, Germany and the EU officials have no interest whatsoever in reforming the EU. It's full steam ahead with ever closer union.

The "let's spend 350 million on the NHS instead" is the latest in a very long line of scapegoating the EU rather than facing up to our own responsibilities in Europe and at home.

Even our net spend is investing in our most important market. Seeing it as money down the drain or money that is better spent elsewhere is missing multiple points.

So no, I have no sympathy with Brexiteers. They've done a stupid thing — mostly against the UK but also weakening the EU — all the while showing ridiculous arrogance and incompetence. If the EU end up giving us the short, sharp shock that we need to grow up as a country and as a democracy then it'll be worth it. Never mind the fact that the EU are acting in EU citizens' interests - we told them that we could handle ourselves on our own but clearly we think they should still help us. Incroyable, Jean-François!!

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 17:22 - Sep 16 with 5091 viewsGlasgowBlue

Firstly, a great win today and an especially well taken goal by McGoldrick.

Secondly, I really wish people would actually read the words that were written if they are going to pass comment .

Boris is being completely accurate when talking about ‘taking back control’ of the weekly £350 million sent to the EU. The word ‘control’ is crucial.

‘We will take back control of roughly £350 million per week'.

Of course we get money back from that gross figure but crucially we have little to no control of how that money we get back is spent. For example, Brussels decides where to spend regional development cash.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 17:37 - Sep 16 with 5084 viewstcblue

I've read it, actually the £350m is the only thing in his whole waffle piece which makes the remotest sense.

He blames the EU for Britain failing to have the sort of manufacturing successes as France. In fact he blames pretty much all the British shortcomings on the EU, as well as traipsing out the same old boll0x about not directing how the single market works, when in fact most of the direction of that was done by Thatcher in the first case.

I also was concerned that our Foreign Secretary found time to write a few thousand word waffling blubfest, but in hindsight at least whilst he was writing this he wasn't being an international embarrassment.
BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 19:23 - Sep 17 with 4963 viewsgordon

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 17:22 - Sep 16 by GlasgowBlue

Secondly, I really wish people would actually read the words that were written if they are going to pass comment .

Boris is being completely accurate when talking about ‘taking back control’ of the weekly £350 million sent to the EU. The word ‘control’ is crucial.

Of course we get money back from that gross figure but crucially we have little to no control of how that money we get back is spent. For example, Brussels decides where to spend regional development cash.

That just isn't true: we have full control over how the 'rebate' is spent, it has nothing to do with the EU, it's entirely our money, it never gets anywhere near the EU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41301049

In 2016, 252m was the figure we sent to the EU. A chunk of that was then spent on EU projects within the UK.
BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 09:52 - Sep 18 with 4859 viewsGlasgowBlue

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 19:23 - Sep 17 by gordon

That just isn't true: we have full control over how the 'rebate' is spent, it has nothing to do with the EU, it's entirely our money, it never gets anywhere near the EU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41301049

In 2016, 252m was the figure we sent to the EU. A chunk of that was then spent on EU projects within the UK.

So we currently have control of just £98m of the £350m, but after Brexit we will have "control" over the full £350m (£361m according to your link)

Is that correct?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 11:29 - Sep 18 with 4822 viewsblue_oyster

I'm glad a lot of attention has been brought to one of best articles written on the EU so far. One of the many good points made is about the suffocation of innovation that is caused by the very nature of the thinking of the European Commission, and why, for example, have they not been able to produce a tech powerhouse that matches the US? Britain's historical success has been founded on innovation, and it's no surprise that we've slipped behind since we've been a member.

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:00 - Sep 18 with 4794 viewsGeoffSentence

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 17:22 - Sep 16 by GlasgowBlue

Yes, I have to agree, he knew what he was saying which is why he used the phrase 'take back control'.

Of course, he is still obfusticating since he knows, and we all know, that we won't be £350M a week better off, but he is still using that as a headline figure, whilst at the same time not saying that is how much better off we will be.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:13 - Sep 18 with 4781 viewsDarth_Koont

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 11:29 - Sep 18 by blue_oyster

I'm glad a lot of attention has been brought to one of best articles written on the EU so far. One of the many good points made is about the suffocation of innovation that is caused by the very nature of the thinking of the European Commission, and why, for example, have they not been able to produce a tech powerhouse that matches the US? Britain's historical success has been founded on innovation, and it's no surprise that we've slipped behind since we've been a member.

Eh?

How is the European Commission's "thinking" "suffocating innovation"?

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:19 - Sep 18 with 4772 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 13:45 - Sep 16 by Darth_Koont

Do you really want to tax people more? Try telling someone on minimum wage that they've got to pay an extra 10% (for example) and they won't vote for you.
BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:20 - Sep 18 with 4768 viewsDarth_Koont

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:19 - Sep 18 by FrowsyArmLarry

Do you really want to tax people more? Try telling someone on minimum wage that they've got to pay an extra 10% (for example) and they won't vote for you.

I don't think people on minimum wage should be taxed more.

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:24 - Sep 18 with 4755 viewseireblue

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 11:29 - Sep 18 by blue_oyster

Have you tried to get a tech startup running in the UK?

Was it blocked by the EU or something else?
BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:24 - Sep 18 with 4755 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:20 - Sep 18 by Darth_Koont

I don't think people on minimum wage should be taxed more.

Don't they use any services? I'm afraid that everyone needs to pay more to fund the level of service you would like.

Maybe Brexit will help as employers will be forced to pay higher wages?
BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:28 - Sep 18 with 4741 viewsDarth_Koont

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:24 - Sep 18 by FrowsyArmLarry

Don't they use any services? I'm afraid that everyone needs to pay more to fund the level of service you would like.

Maybe Brexit will help as employers will be forced to pay higher wages?

"Forced to pay higher wages"?

Haha. Good one.

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:31 - Sep 18 with 4732 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:28 - Sep 18 by Darth_Koont

"Forced to pay higher wages"?

Haha. Good one.

Supply and demand. If you cut off the supply and nobody wants to do your low paid job what are you going to do?
BoJo still struggling to understand the difference betwen 'net' and 'gross'. on 12:35 - Sep 18 with 4722 viewsOldsmoker

Succesive governments ducked the investment.
Why spend on Research if Germany is doing it.
They pour 1bn into research then a further 2bn on building factories and infrastructure to bring it to market and all we do is buy the finished product for cost + 20%. Money well saved - but of course we lost out on the expertise needed to take it to the next step.
We pooled most of the development anyway - Typhoon fighter jet, Cern, European Space Agency etc.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024