Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marcus Evans to be exposed 09:15 - Apr 2 with 3082 viewsskankerman

One thing is for certain the appointment of the next manager will expose our owners true intentions and ambitions for the club.
If he appoints an experienced championship manager then anybody worth their salt will want transfer investment.
If he appoints what will be perceived as a 2nd rate manager then the likelihood of sensible investment would be reduced.
The higher the standard of appointment the higher the transfer investment required

Any candidate currently out of work or maybe league 2 will jump at the chance with a low budget

Any candidate with a club doing well will need a dream sold to them which results in a sensible transfer pot

When the new manager is appointed and you cut through the hype it will give an idea as to the true ambitions of an owner who can not hide behind MM

Genuine good luck to who is appointed this is a great club to serve

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 09:21 - Apr 2 with 3035 viewsHerbivore

Mick was a top end appointment at the time and was given no money so I'm not entirely convinced by your theory.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 09:29 - Apr 2 with 2997 viewsFixed_It

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 09:21 - Apr 2 by Herbivore

Mick was a top end appointment at the time and was given no money so I'm not entirely convinced by your theory.

I'm slightly worried by MM's mention of his meeting with ME where it was clear that their 'plans didn't meet in the middle'. Now to me that suggests that either Mick was saying there needed to be more investment and Marcus said 'No', or that Marcus said we need to play more of our Academy products and Mick said 'No'. I hope it was the latter...
[Post edited 2 Apr 2018 9:30]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 09:36 - Apr 2 with 2943 viewschristiand

For me, ME still remains the main problem at our club, although MM had to go his sell by date had expired here as our manager. As many have alluded to previously it appears ME doesn't really care about the club and lost interest, his effort to improve us is minimal and the dealing of this MM situation just shows a leader that is extremely weak. Although MM has gone, no doubt this stagnation and slow demise continues while ME remains in charge!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 09:45 - Apr 2 with 2881 viewsBluebell

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 09:21 - Apr 2 by Herbivore

Do we know what Mick was promised at the beginning? Perhaps he though he would get the same at Keane and Jewell.

Perhaps Marcus said he would get plenty of funds to buy players. We know he was given £1million to keep us in the Championship.

We also know he was promised the Mings and Murphy money. That all went on wages we assume.

Anybody taking on the role might be told the same.
Marcus Evans to be exposed on 09:52 - Apr 2 with 2851 viewsHerbivore

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 09:36 - Apr 2 by christiand

For me, ME still remains the main problem at our club, although MM had to go his sell by date had expired here as our manager. As many have alluded to previously it appears ME doesn't really care about the club and lost interest, his effort to improve us is minimal and the dealing of this MM situation just shows a leader that is extremely weak. Although MM has gone, no doubt this stagnation and slow demise continues while ME remains in charge!

I'm not sure it's all that bad. He's not going to suddenly start splashing money around however the last two summers did see him loosening the strings a bit with the signings of Ward, Webster, Waghorn, Garner and Huws. He's always given sufficient backing to make decent free signings like Adeyemi (if he ever gets fit), Didz, Murphy, Skuse, Berra etc. He's also been prepared to add one or two quality Prem loans at a reasonable cost. The academy has been funded pretty well and that's showing with players coming through, we've supplemented that with some potentially promising youngsters from non league and Ireland of late too. There is some backing there, not the sort that will buy you established Championship quality but enough for a new manager to build a side around what is already a decent looking core of a squad. A few people in the know, including Phil, think he's still well up for it so let's see what the summer brings.

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 10:03 - Apr 2 with 2794 viewschristiand

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 09:52 - Apr 2 by Herbivore

I'm not sure it's all that bad. He's not going to suddenly start splashing money around however the last two summers did see him loosening the strings a bit with the signings of Ward, Webster, Waghorn, Garner and Huws. He's always given sufficient backing to make decent free signings like Adeyemi (if he ever gets fit), Didz, Murphy, Skuse, Berra etc. He's also been prepared to add one or two quality Prem loans at a reasonable cost. The academy has been funded pretty well and that's showing with players coming through, we've supplemented that with some potentially promising youngsters from non league and Ireland of late too. There is some backing there, not the sort that will buy you established Championship quality but enough for a new manager to build a side around what is already a decent looking core of a squad. A few people in the know, including Phil, think he's still well up for it so let's see what the summer brings.

I'm still very much underwhelmed by ME generally, lets be honest Herbivore we're talking about an owner of a club for over a decade not a novice with limited experience. You compare us to where we were when ME first took over and there is no doubt we are on a downwards spiral. If ME is up for the fight still then start showing it, the crumbs of comfort he does provide aren't convincing and just something done to keep quieten down the masses when rumblings start. I'm not even convinced he knows what he is trying to achieve here either? The goalposts continue to be moved.

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 10:12 - Apr 2 with 2744 viewsHerbivore

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 10:03 - Apr 2 by christiand

I'm still very much underwhelmed by ME generally, lets be honest Herbivore we're talking about an owner of a club for over a decade not a novice with limited experience. You compare us to where we were when ME first took over and there is no doubt we are on a downwards spiral. If ME is up for the fight still then start showing it, the crumbs of comfort he does provide aren't convincing and just something done to keep quieten down the masses when rumblings start. I'm not even convinced he knows what he is trying to achieve here either? The goalposts continue to be moved.

I disagree that we're on a downward spiral. He has learnt lessons in some respects and, frustrating as it is, one of the lessons he's learnt is that throwing money at it doesn't guarantee success. We've also not seen swathes of expensively signed players leaving on frees as we did with the likes of McAuley, Leadbitter etc. The academy is being better run and better funded than it was. I think he does have a plan (a five pointing one) and objectively we've been working towards it, the bit that's been missing is exciting football.

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 10:13 - Apr 2 with 2737 viewsHerbivore

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 09:45 - Apr 2 by Bluebell

Do we know what Mick was promised at the beginning? Perhaps he though he would get the same at Keane and Jewell.

Perhaps Marcus said he would get plenty of funds to buy players. We know he was given £1million to keep us in the Championship.

We also know he was promised the Mings and Murphy money. That all went on wages we assume.

Anybody taking on the role might be told the same.

I can't honestly believe that is the case. Mick has repeatedly said over the last 5 years that he knew exactly what he was signing up to in terms of funding.

Login to get fewer ads

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 10:26 - Apr 2 with 2689 viewsRadlett_blue

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 10:13 - Apr 2 by Herbivore

I can't honestly believe that is the case. Mick has repeatedly said over the last 5 years that he knew exactly what he was signing up to in terms of funding.

Very few owners give a manager a set "transfer kitty" as they know that if they do, it will be spent & then the manager will plead for funds for "just one more player". For example, Evans was willing to spend £1.5m on Jordan Hugill, but that didn't mean Mick had a £1.5m transfer kitty.
They do generally work to an approximate wage structure & wage bill if by far the most accurate indication of a club's likely position in the standings. Our relative wage bill has declined during Mick's reign - which does put his achievements in better perspective.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 11:06 - Apr 2 with 2602 viewschristiand

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 10:12 - Apr 2 by Herbivore

I disagree that we're on a downward spiral. He has learnt lessons in some respects and, frustrating as it is, one of the lessons he's learnt is that throwing money at it doesn't guarantee success. We've also not seen swathes of expensively signed players leaving on frees as we did with the likes of McAuley, Leadbitter etc. The academy is being better run and better funded than it was. I think he does have a plan (a five pointing one) and objectively we've been working towards it, the bit that's been missing is exciting football.

Believe the club was in a much better position when ME first took over and 'subjective' I personally feel the impact of the 5 point plan is.

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 11:09 - Apr 2 with 2578 viewsstuyarmouthblue

With each departure, fans talk of then focusing on Evans, but it never gains any momentum. That's despite him being the continuous factor in the last 11 years. He's the one who can change it.

Whether we appoint Pep Guardiola or Zippy, we have to focus on him to develop the club.
Marcus Evans to be exposed on 11:13 - Apr 2 with 2562 viewsHerbivore

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 11:06 - Apr 2 by christiand

Believe the club was in a much better position when ME first took over and 'subjective' I personally feel the impact of the 5 point plan is.

The club was 6-12 months from administration and in a similar league position when ME came in, mate.

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 11:22 - Apr 2 with 2528 viewschristiand

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 11:13 - Apr 2 by Herbivore

The club was 6-12 months from administration and in a similar league position when ME came in, mate.

Can't dispute that Herbivore, but once again not really going anywhere which seems the norm under ME's ownership of the last 11 years!! I don't dispute the points you have previously made, but there are now a lot of things that certainly concern me that we are heading in the wrong direction and he appears quite happy in allowing that to occur. That's why this next managerial appointment has to be the right one!

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 12:32 - Apr 2 with 2385 viewsbontcho

Marcus Evans to be exposed on 11:09 - Apr 2 by stuyarmouthblue

With each departure, fans talk of then focusing on Evans, but it never gains any momentum. That's despite him being the continuous factor in the last 11 years. He's the one who can change it.

Whether we appoint Pep Guardiola or Zippy, we have to focus on him to develop the club.

I’d have Zippy aheadof some of the names mentioned!!

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024