Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit update 20:38 - Feb 27 with 8348 viewsSwansea_Blue

The board’s been much more pleasant and interesting lately, so I’m reluctant to post this. But why have people apparently switched off on what’s happening around Brexit?

Brexit has effectively disappeared, despite it not being “done”. Are people fed up, bored, thinking it’s “done”?

Just in the last couple of days we’ve had the following, but barely a mention about it:
- Govt saying they’ll pull out of European Arrest Warrant despite advice of people who know about such things
- Boris having a strop and saying he’ll take his toys away if the EU don’t give him what he wants (Canada++++++)
- Govt sating they don’t want close alignment on Erasmus or EU research programmes, screwing our world-class Unis
- Govt announcing 25% cut on farming subsidies, backtracking on promise to maintain EU levels of funding (Env Minister getting booed by farmers union audience as a result)
- A weird edict that Tory MPs and civil service can’t now use the term ‘no deal’, even though events are pointing towards there not being a deal...

And that’s just off the top of my head.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brexit update on 13:12 - Feb 29 with 296 viewsNo9

Brexit update on 10:09 - Feb 28 by HARRY10

The UK is already a member of the WTO.

Where the ptoblem lies is that it will no longer have the trade deals it has/had being a member of the EU. So it will have to accept every pipsqueal country telling it to fu ckoff. With the irony being that it will have to use EU schedules until it has agreed new deals with every country. The thought is 10 years plus.

So despite the shyte the numpties squeak about being 'free' the UK will be bound by these schedules and anychanges for a long while....without any say as previous.

The idea put about by Leave and swallowed by the thick is that those countries will offer something better to the UK than the EU.

But, squeak the not too bright we can do own own deals under our own terms. Only you can't as WTO rules mean you cannot, as

"Most Favoured Nation is a World Trade Organisation rule that says that you cannot discriminate in your tariff arrangements outside of a free trade agreement. If you want to have tariffs of ten per cent for oranges from Brazil, say, then you have to have them at the same level for the United States. Essentially, it bans favouritism. It should really be called No Most Favoured Nation.

The only way out of the straightjacket is to sign a formal free trade agreement, either with another country or a group of other countries."

So until the UK can tie up a trade deal it will be stuck with very country taking it's bite. Thye will decide what the terms are, not the UL

That is why so many want to join the EU. Like beimg a gold member at a football club, best lounges furst dibs on tickets etc. Pretty much every other country is in something similar to the EU, also being based on a geographic basis.

The UK in it's infinite stupidity is going to be one of the few countries outside of this. Much like a fan wondering why he cannot get in.

Now, ask yourself. If someone like me is aware of all this then is it not likely MPs, businesses etc know it to, and there is no good reasin to leave the gold lounge to stand on the street.

See it in that light and you'll begin to understand why so much has fallen apart so quickly. And why my thought is still that it will eveolve into a Life of Brian 'Stan having the right to have babies ie the UK will have the right to do all the things it said it would do, but not exercise that right.

I don't think the UK is yet an idependent member of the WTO but still as a part of the EU.
Ms Tuss made speeches at the WTo which don't seem to have gone down too well with the members.
The UK gov has never made it clear to the pubic that the WTO rules are made by the members, the president & his organisation are only there to enforce the member made rules.
He has said the members will almost certainly require a fully enforced border between the RoI & N.I.
This PM has lied to the people many of whom still do not see that.
The problems of a border in the Irish sea are going to be a mojor issue
Brexit update on 13:26 - Feb 29 with 269 viewsNo9

Brexit update on 11:43 - Feb 29 by Azshara

I think you have your figures wrong as to what we are paying? 339bn?

It is the EU that are starting to panic exactly like we all said we hold all the cards, they are desperate now they have lost the cash cow of the UK.
See how they are worried about losing our fishing waters.

Time and time again we explained how they need us more than we need them, how much is the trading deficit?
It is so strange that several of you still have your heads buried in the sand, not long to June.
What are you going to do now surface and all her friends have disappeared?
Nothing Gina can do either.

I would suggest you stop reading the Mail / Telegraph & look at reality
The UK looks to the Eu for circa 50% of it's export opportunities the EU loks to the UK for circa 12-16 %
But the important thing is what does the EU export to the UK?
Much of it is components & materials which the UK needs for manufacturing to survive which without UK exports collapse.

If you want to understand fishing look 1st at how many non UK boats fish in the UK - on UK licences -
The ask who checks the fish passports as they swim the seas

& who thinks the EU countries with coastal waters will not challenge the UK just as Iceland did?
Brexit update on 13:29 - Feb 29 with 263 viewsNo9

Brexit update on 12:08 - Feb 28 by Pinewoodblue

It really is time you learnt how to post without being rude and offensive towards others.

It is probably time you were removed from the board you have nothing new to contribute.

Not much offensive in that but there is a lot of fact
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024