Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chilli Con Carne 19:19 - May 30 with 3553 viewssparks

I make a damned fine chilli. Whether mixed bean chilli, typical minced beef chilli, or a smoky one made from minced beef and diced steak, simmered over coals in a closed barbecue for 4 or 5 hours. Amongst other thigns we use smoked paprika, cumin seeds, worcester sauce, chipotles, ancho grande, beef stock, cocoa powder, beer - depending on the recipe.

Sometimes, however, I crave a good old simple canteen style chilli- of the type you get at school, or in a baked potato shop, or at some simple cafe. Preferably smothering chips or baked potato. In many many years of cooking various types of chilli- I have never succeeded in replicating that very distinctive style. We must be missing something very obvious. Any ideas?

And whilst you are at it, any other connosieurs with recipes and secret ingredients for the more sophisticated efforts?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Chilli Con Carne on 23:23 - May 30 with 637 viewslinhdi

OP, you have made my mouth water!

I tend to do something along the lines of:

1 x onion, chopped v fine
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped very fine
1lb mince (from butcher, topside normally)
2tsp extra hot chilli powder ( or, 2tsp smoked paprika) ( or, any mix of these to regulate the burn)
1 tsp turmeric
1 can tomatoes
1 mug stock
1 can red beans

Serve with garlic bread. Yum.

The quality of the mince makes a big difference.
Chilli Con Carne on 23:24 - May 30 with 633 viewsBugs

500g of minced beef
1 onion
1 red pepper
garlic clove or 2
fresh chillies or chilli powder and/or flakes
tin of chopped toms
tin of kidney beans
Worcester sauce
Beef stock about 1/2 pint
Cumin powder and dried coriander to taste.....I like about a teaspoon of each.

Rough chop onions, pepper and if you have them fresh chillies. Heat a pan on a med heat and add pre mentioned ingredients and cook for about 5 mins.

Add garlic and then mince cook until mince is browned off. Add cumin and coriander salt & pepper stirring for a min or so......I find beef stock and Worcester sauce has enough salt, so don't worry about that.

Add Worcester sauce to taste....I like quite a bit.

Add chopped toms

Add beef stock

Add kidney beans

Simmer for about 20 mins or until you get your desired consistency.

Bob's your uncle Fanny's your aunt, an easy 45 min chilli. But is far better if you let it cool reheat and eat it the next day.

As someone has mentioned above, you can also add ginger with the spices if it's handy. But works either way.
Chilli Con Carne on 11:19 - May 31 with 542 viewsBrixtonBlue

Dunno about your first bit but my secret ingredients are ketchup and a tablespoon of coffee granules.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Chilli Con Carne on 17:56 - Jun 2 with 477 viewsbournemouthblue

Chilli Con Carne on 23:23 - May 30 by linhdi

OP, you have made my mouth water!

I tend to do something along the lines of:

1 x onion, chopped v fine
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped very fine
1lb mince (from butcher, topside normally)
2tsp extra hot chilli powder ( or, 2tsp smoked paprika) ( or, any mix of these to regulate the burn)
1 tsp turmeric
1 can tomatoes
1 mug stock
1 can red beans

Serve with garlic bread. Yum.

The quality of the mince makes a big difference.

Tumeric, that's a bit left field?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Chilli Con Carne on 18:03 - Jun 2 with 465 viewsfooters

Two words: liquid smoke.

If you want a school dinner chilli, you'll be needing Schwarz packets and not much else.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Chilli Con Carne on 12:02 - Jun 28 with 305 viewssoupytwist

So, if I take minced beef (sometimes beef and pork mixed), onions, garlic (loads), chillis, cumin powder (loads), coriander powder (loads), tin of tomatoes, tin of kidney beans and bit of tomato puree and put it all in a pan (not all at once obvs) to cook for at least 45 minutes what am I making according to the various descriptions in this thread?

Edited to say - and a red/green/yellow pepper
[Post edited 28 Jun 2020 12:04]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024