Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"The Ipswich Way" 10:15 - May 13 with 2909 viewsTractorCam

A sentence being thrown around on here today, but it doesn't really mean anything right? It's an age thing depending on how long you've been supporting. I've been going for 18 years and my Ipswich way is:

- Sleepwalking through seasons, never expecting any good league position
- Crashing out of the cups in the first round
- Fans leaving games booing more often than cheering
- Managers moaning at fans

And for the now relevant ones:
- Fans very quick to turn on social media when the first thing goes the way they didn't want
- Selling the really good academy players before we've properly seen them

The current crop of Downes, Dozzell, Bishop, Kenlock is a one off for me, i've never seen this many playing at the same time and the fact we're in League One is the main reason why this has happened, not because they're all special talents.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

"The Ipswich Way" on 10:21 - May 13 with 2054 viewstrncbluearmy

Feel for younger fans who must wonder what the old boys are on about,but there is an Ipswich Way

You saw a small piece of it yesterday, our yoofs slugging it out,refusing to give in,playing some more then tidy football,pride in themselves and the club they represent not intimatated or frightened of reputations
[Post edited 13 May 2021 10:23]
"The Ipswich Way" on 10:22 - May 13 with 2052 viewsButterbing

The whole culture of the club needs a shift. The players have coasted for years. I'm sure we have all worked in workplaces where there is a "That will do" attitude. It rubs off on everybody and is hard to change. Perhaps the only way to remove this culture is to have an overhaul.

Many of the fans are fed up and criticize decisions. This also needs to change but will not happen until there is some signs of success. I'd love to get back to supporting the team properly surrounded by likeminded positive fans.

Lets see what the summer brings.
"The Ipswich Way" on 10:25 - May 13 with 2030 viewsitfcjoe

For other fans there is an Ipswich Way, and that is what makes the club special.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

"The Ipswich Way" on 10:41 - May 13 with 1949 viewsTractorCam

"The Ipswich Way" on 10:21 - May 13 by trncbluearmy

Feel for younger fans who must wonder what the old boys are on about,but there is an Ipswich Way

You saw a small piece of it yesterday, our yoofs slugging it out,refusing to give in,playing some more then tidy football,pride in themselves and the club they represent not intimatated or frightened of reputations
[Post edited 13 May 2021 10:23]

Indeed, but given mine is based off 18 years the older generation of Ipswich Way has surely long passed now? It seems night and day when you compare us to say 78 to now.

The academy is still open and functioning fine, I suspect some of these players from yesterday will begin to knock on the door next season.

"The Ipswich Way" on 10:51 - May 13 with 1902 viewsSaigonTractor

"The Ipswich Way" on 10:25 - May 13 by itfcjoe

For other fans there is an Ipswich Way, and that is what makes the club special.

I guess something the new owners also have to consider is that "The Ipswich Way" isn't getting new fans in.

It's all well and good having a core of academy players, but if no one comes to watch them then what's the point?
"The Ipswich Way" on 10:52 - May 13 with 1900 viewsChurchman

I’m interested to know what you define as ‘an Ipswich Way’?
"The Ipswich Way" on 10:55 - May 13 with 1878 viewsborge

I think we're now at a really pivotal point in our history and a slightly 'dangerous' one at that.

You are completely right. If you have only been going for 18 years then you really haven't had any experience of the 'Ipswich way'. As I have spouted on other threads this morning, I think we have totally lost our way since Royle left and anyone who has only started watching since then can only have a second hand understanding and that's really quite sad. There is a danger now that if Cook and Ashton go into full demolition mode (as seems to be the case), we will totally lose any sense of what was the 'Ipswich way' forever. That would be a great shame because our club does have aspects of its 'character' that are very different to other clubs and if we lose those and simply become another football club, what's the point?

Whilst everything has to change to survive, there has to be some sense of a link to the club's past and/or defining characteristics of the local population otherwise we may as well all go and support MK Dons...
"The Ipswich Way" on 10:59 - May 13 with 1871 viewsMrTown

What is the Ipswich Way?

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Login to get fewer ads

"The Ipswich Way" on 11:05 - May 13 with 1864 viewsButterbing

"The Ipswich Way" on 10:55 - May 13 by borge

I think we're now at a really pivotal point in our history and a slightly 'dangerous' one at that.

You are completely right. If you have only been going for 18 years then you really haven't had any experience of the 'Ipswich way'. As I have spouted on other threads this morning, I think we have totally lost our way since Royle left and anyone who has only started watching since then can only have a second hand understanding and that's really quite sad. There is a danger now that if Cook and Ashton go into full demolition mode (as seems to be the case), we will totally lose any sense of what was the 'Ipswich way' forever. That would be a great shame because our club does have aspects of its 'character' that are very different to other clubs and if we lose those and simply become another football club, what's the point?

Whilst everything has to change to survive, there has to be some sense of a link to the club's past and/or defining characteristics of the local population otherwise we may as well all go and support MK Dons...

But you could argue that the "Ipswich Way" is currently not the culture or character of the club.

We have new owners, new manager, new coaches and shortly a new squad. Not much remains of the old and gives a chance to instill a new character and culture. Will it be the old "Ipswich Way"? Who knows? But it won't be the comfortable, proper blokes, unambitious, coasting culture of the last 15 years or so. (Hopefully!!!!)
"The Ipswich Way" on 11:16 - May 13 with 1821 viewsericclacton

"The Ipswich Way" on 11:17 - May 13 with 1817 viewsTractorWood

"The Ipswich Way" on 10:52 - May 13 by Churchman

I’m interested to know what you define as ‘an Ipswich Way’?

I'm an Ipswich fan and I've no idea what it means. Someone above saying other fans know what it means, is having a laugh.

Just feels a bit West Ham-esque to me. Clinging to some embellished view from a brief period in the distant past.

I'm sure I'll get some incredibly vague rebuttal. 'It means playing good football with talented young players'.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

"The Ipswich Way" on 11:20 - May 13 with 1801 viewsborge

"The Ipswich Way" on 10:59 - May 13 by MrTown

What is the Ipswich Way?

What is the Ipswich way?

Playing teams off the pitch with exciting, fast-paced passing football
Having opposition managers repeatedly saying, "Ipswich passed us to death"
Blooding youngsters because they are good enough even if they aren't old enough
Giving an opposition team's striker whose son had just passed away a standing ovation when he scores against you
Giving an away team's winger a standing ovation when he is substituted a standing ovation when he has just ripped you apart
Giving your own team a standing ovation when they get relegated, not because you want to reward failure but because you are decent, kind-hearted folk and not rabid idiots who support your West Hams, Millwalls or other teams of that ilk
Having no sense of entitlement
Taking 10,000 fans to Milan
Taking 10,000 fans to Milan with zero arrests
Doing things the 'right' way - morally fair, decent, honourable
The fans respecting the players and the manager
The players and the manager respecting the fans
Giving the manager time even when things are looking bad because you appreciate that clubs that chop and change will never have long term success (see Villa under Doug Ellis, Man City before they became rich, Leeds before Bielsa, Palace, Oldham, Forest, Coventry, QPR etc etc)
Being the first club to produce two England managers and two England captains
Sticking up for Phil Ham because he was in the right

There are many, many more things I could write but I have work to do!
[Post edited 13 May 2021 11:37]
"The Ipswich Way" on 11:29 - May 13 with 1771 viewsmonty_radio

"The Ipswich Way" on 11:17 - May 13 by TractorWood

I'm an Ipswich fan and I've no idea what it means. Someone above saying other fans know what it means, is having a laugh.

Just feels a bit West Ham-esque to me. Clinging to some embellished view from a brief period in the distant past.

I'm sure I'll get some incredibly vague rebuttal. 'It means playing good football with talented young players'.

History is bunk, and all that! But it spanned a bit longer than "a brief period". Still, I see how those for whom it is only grainy Youtube videos are wanting their turn, and how nothing in many of our current fans' lifetimes gives them something to look back on. I guess that, for them, the only Ipswich way has been down.

All that being so, it seems strange to me how many who fit that last category of fans are anxious to hold on to that Academy core of players who, while occasionally being pretty to watch, have passed the "promising" stage in their career without any noticeable accomplishment.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

"The Ipswich Way" on 11:37 - May 13 with 1745 viewsTractorCam

"The Ipswich Way" on 11:20 - May 13 by borge

What is the Ipswich way?

Giving an opposition team's striker whose son had just passed away a standing ovation when he scores against you
Giving an away team's winger a standing ovation when he is substituted a standing ovation when he has just ripped you apart
Giving your own team a standing ovation when they get relegated, not because you want to reward failure but because you are decent, kind-hearted folk and not rabid idiots who support your West Hams, Millwalls or other teams of that ilk
Giving the manager time even when things are looking bad because you appreciate that clubs that chop and change will never have long term success (see Villa under Doug Ellis, Man City before they became rich, Leeds before Bielsa, Palace, Oldham, Forest, Coventry, QPR etc etc)

I respect that, thank you.

However, half of these haven't happened in my 18/19 years of going so is it really defined as the "Ipswich Way" anymore?

"The Ipswich Way" on 11:43 - May 13 with 1724 viewsgordon

"The Ipswich Way" on 10:22 - May 13 by Butterbing

The whole culture of the club needs a shift. The players have coasted for years. I'm sure we have all worked in workplaces where there is a "That will do" attitude. It rubs off on everybody and is hard to change. Perhaps the only way to remove this culture is to have an overhaul.

Many of the fans are fed up and criticize decisions. This also needs to change but will not happen until there is some signs of success. I'd love to get back to supporting the team properly surrounded by likeminded positive fans.

Lets see what the summer brings.

Of course the culture of the club needs to change, but the culture is set by the people at the top of the club, not the players.
"The Ipswich Way" on 11:45 - May 13 with 1712 viewsBiGDonnie

My Ipswich way is Marcus Stewart firing us to promotion and then ripping the ar*e out the Prem!

You've had it so sh*t, man.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

"The Ipswich Way" on 11:50 - May 13 with 1692 viewsborge

"The Ipswich Way" on 11:37 - May 13 by TractorCam

I respect that, thank you.

However, half of these haven't happened in my 18/19 years of going so is it really defined as the "Ipswich Way" anymore?

That's exactly my point Cam! Hardly any of these have happened in the time you have been supporting the club and in that sense, there is no 'club' - there is no defining character other than failure and that is not something on which you can hang your hat. You need something to belong to but that has to be more than a moment in time that is defined by someone coming in with a new broom and loads of cash.

We have to get that 'Ipswich way' back because it is what made us a club, it is what made us different; otherwise we are just MK Dons, we aren't anything. We may as well all be in Thailand, Turkmenistan or Tuvalu watching on TV. We may as well be supporting the formation of a European Super League.

The 'Ipswich way' just didn't happen or come about by accident over a brief period of time (as someone else has suggested), it came about through over 100 years of history. You can always change an organisation's culture and there are many good reasons to change our recent culture, but very few that I can think of to change our historical culture (what is negative about the things I have described?).

It's difficult to explain and it's difficult to explain why it's difficult to explain. It's particularly difficult to explain without sounding massively patronising! I am 44 so I missed out on the Bobby Robson era and everything that came before, but I did at least grow up in close proximity to it, with its sense being reinforced by the Burley era and in some respect the Royle and Lyall eras (as well as my dad, mum, uncles etc who were all there during the 60s, 70s and early 80s). I can absolutely understand why it might seem both vague and quite pointless to someone who has had to put up with the cr@p we've had for the past 18 years, but it really wasn't and shouldn't be.
"The Ipswich Way" on 11:53 - May 13 with 1686 viewsButterbing

"The Ipswich Way" on 11:43 - May 13 by gordon

Of course the culture of the club needs to change, but the culture is set by the people at the top of the club, not the players.

Yes, which is why I am happy that we have new owners, a CEO, a new manager.

It is very difficult to change organisational culture whilst retaining the existing personnel. There will always be resistance. There may be some who are happy to knuckle down and work within new structures but if you have any powerful groups or cliques then it may be best to remove the problematic personnel from the organisation.

I'm not saying any players are wilfully being problematic, more that they have got used to doing things in the way they have been done here. It is tough to change routines and mindsets and leave their comfort zone.
"The Ipswich Way" on 12:06 - May 13 with 1653 viewsSouperJim

It's a completely meaningless phrase. From time to time it comes up and people attribute it to a certain approach or playing style, but the phrase "The Ipswich Way" has been applied to many different styles down the years.

It's just a stupid meaningless phrase that people use to say "we're sh!t and we need to do things differently". The only single definable characteristic I've seen it commonly attributed to consistently in my lifetime supporting Town, is a leaning towards passing football on the deck. But even that is tenuous. Generally people start using it when they are unsure of our identity because of a large change at the club. That's why it's reared it's head again.

There is no magic formula that is Ipswich. It's a myth. People just want success and entertainment.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 12:07]

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

"The Ipswich Way" on 12:10 - May 13 with 1636 viewsJDB23

My first year as a season ticket holder was our first year in the Championship after relegation. I have had fk all to celebrate as a fan of this club for 20 years.

At this point I really don't care what we do as long as it brings success and something to remember in decades from now. The owners have affirmed over and over they are committed to the academy, lets just build a team with a winning mentality to bring youth players into eh?
"The Ipswich Way" on 12:14 - May 13 with 1622 viewsborge

"The Ipswich Way" on 12:06 - May 13 by SouperJim

It's a completely meaningless phrase. From time to time it comes up and people attribute it to a certain approach or playing style, but the phrase "The Ipswich Way" has been applied to many different styles down the years.

It's just a stupid meaningless phrase that people use to say "we're sh!t and we need to do things differently". The only single definable characteristic I've seen it commonly attributed to consistently in my lifetime supporting Town, is a leaning towards passing football on the deck. But even that is tenuous. Generally people start using it when they are unsure of our identity because of a large change at the club. That's why it's reared it's head again.

There is no magic formula that is Ipswich. It's a myth. People just want success and entertainment.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 12:07]

I am sad for you that you feel that way. I feel there is something there to 'belong to' and whilst you are right that it includes passing football (and also right that this isn't something that is consistent across periods of our history), it is so much more than that.

I guess that it could be a myth or some kind of mental construct that many of us have built in our heads that isn't really there, but on the basis of the number of us having hissy fits today, I would say that isn't true.

Interested to know when you started watching/how old you are?
"The Ipswich Way" on 12:16 - May 13 with 1608 viewsborge

"The Ipswich Way" on 12:10 - May 13 by JDB23

My first year as a season ticket holder was our first year in the Championship after relegation. I have had fk all to celebrate as a fan of this club for 20 years.

At this point I really don't care what we do as long as it brings success and something to remember in decades from now. The owners have affirmed over and over they are committed to the academy, lets just build a team with a winning mentality to bring youth players into eh?

And that is why it is sad - you haven't experienced it so don't care about it. The fact it has got to that point and been allowed to get to that point is why it is such a shame. That's not to say I don't understand where you were coming from because if all I had experienced was the last 20 years I sure as hell would think there was nothing worth keeping.
"The Ipswich Way" on 12:35 - May 13 with 1575 viewsJDB23

"The Ipswich Way" on 12:16 - May 13 by borge

And that is why it is sad - you haven't experienced it so don't care about it. The fact it has got to that point and been allowed to get to that point is why it is such a shame. That's not to say I don't understand where you were coming from because if all I had experienced was the last 20 years I sure as hell would think there was nothing worth keeping.

It's not that I don't care about it, it's just no where near the top of my priority list as an Ipswich fan right now.

Would I be sad if we abandoned it forever? Yes. Would I be upset if we moved away from it for a couple of seasons and ended up challenging at the top of the Championship again? Not a chance. Obviously there is no guarantee of success happening, but if we go down this route and we do start moving in the right direction, I won't be moaning.
[Post edited 13 May 2021 12:38]
"The Ipswich Way" on 12:41 - May 13 with 1540 viewsSouperJim

"The Ipswich Way" on 12:14 - May 13 by borge

I am sad for you that you feel that way. I feel there is something there to 'belong to' and whilst you are right that it includes passing football (and also right that this isn't something that is consistent across periods of our history), it is so much more than that.

I guess that it could be a myth or some kind of mental construct that many of us have built in our heads that isn't really there, but on the basis of the number of us having hissy fits today, I would say that isn't true.

Interested to know when you started watching/how old you are?

I completely agree that there is something to belong to, I just don't feel the phrase "The Ipswich Way" is consistently linked to any one culture or set of values. If you ask 100 Ipswich fans what it means, you'll get 100 different answers. Even where there is correlation between what fans say it means, evidence that those things consistently exist within our football club is often highly questionable.

I'm 42 and have been a fan my entire life, although have been going to games consistently since about 1996. As a result I identify with the Burley era the most, but have watched the important stuff (78 and 81) and didn't see any real association in our play with the era closest to my heart. Joe Royle's style of football was nearer the mark, and he got absolute pelters from a lot of our fans for "hoofball".

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

"The Ipswich Way" on 13:12 - May 13 with 1483 viewsblueislander

"The Ipswich Way" on 11:20 - May 13 by borge

What is the Ipswich way?

Your point about giving managers time is key. This relates to the Board of Directors, and the way the club was run. Unfortunately it would be impossible to run a football club the way that the Cobbolds. and their fellow directors did . They were not motivated by money, and to them it wasn’t really a business. That attitude permeated down through the club, and resulted in all the other components of “The Ipswich way” mentioned.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024