Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What the hell is happening to Ipswich 10:02 - Nov 20 with 6339 viewsGaryCooper

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/bridge-street-stabbing-ipswich-attack-1-6384207

Heavy stop and search required.
What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 10:10 - Nov 20 with 4610 viewsOldsmoker

Johnson has said he will increase SUS laws after he gets elected.
There aren't any police to carry out those laws but hey, 20,000 bobbies can be recruited overnight in Tory fantasyland.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 10:10 - Nov 20 with 4611 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Crazy really. I do that walk almost every night at a similar time. A walk which has never felt anything but safe.

Scary stuff, I an not sure how all this is going to stop, surely it is only going to get worse.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 10:11 - Nov 20 with 4600 viewswkj

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 10:10 - Nov 20 by Oldsmoker

Johnson has said he will increase SUS laws after he gets elected.
There aren't any police to carry out those laws but hey, 20,000 bobbies can be recruited overnight in Tory fantasyland.

20,000 bobbies? Are you sure it isn't 4 bobbies and 19,994 of the rest are merely being designed by architects?

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 10:17 - Nov 20 with 4572 viewschicoazul

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 10:10 - Nov 20 by TRUE_BLUE123

Crazy really. I do that walk almost every night at a similar time. A walk which has never felt anything but safe.

Scary stuff, I an not sure how all this is going to stop, surely it is only going to get worse.

Since we havent had "Bobbies on the beat" since the 60s and the useless police force are now effectively a revenge and restitution service rather than an active deterrent of criminals (although they are hopeless at that too, since 90%+ of crimes go unpunished and unsolved), I suggest that foot patrols in pairs are reinstated right across the country. What do we all do when we see a police car parked by the side of the road? We slow down. Maybe that same effect will take affect when we see foot patrols regularly on our streets.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2019 10:18]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 10:20 - Nov 20 with 4556 viewsBlueRaider

Awful, and a guy I know suffered a fractured skull in an attack by a gang on Woodbridge Road

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 10:21 - Nov 20 with 4538 viewsGeoffSentence

Ipswich isn't unique in this. The same shlt is going down pretty much everywhere. Rates of crime with sharp implements or firearms have been on the increase over the last 5 years countrywide (source: ONS)

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 11:05 - Nov 20 with 4406 viewstabletopjoe

The recognition of a weak justice system is now starting to dawn on most people, there is now almost nothing to prevent this

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 11:23 - Nov 20 with 4354 viewsWeWereZombies

And who will get targeted most in the stop and search? Bang goes 'Ipswich lives in racial harmony'. Despite a genteel, well dull, exterior Ipswich has always been a roughish town with its fair share of murders. A friend and I once went in The Defiance (now closed) down by the bridge just after the docks because we thought, in the early 1970s, it would be a great laugh to hear the conversations stop, as a pair of long hairs in greatcoats came in. A few days later we read about a stabbing in that pub in The Evening Star. Didn't do that again.

I am not saying that knifings and murders should just be accepted but a bit of perspective is required to assess how much and of what type of policing is required. Knee jerk reactions seldom make matters better.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Login to get fewer ads

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 11:40 - Nov 20 with 4305 viewsSwansea_Blue

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 11:05 - Nov 20 by tabletopjoe

The recognition of a weak justice system is now starting to dawn on most people, there is now almost nothing to prevent this

And very little opportunity to implement swift justice even if they are caught, as the judiciary is in as big, if not bigger, mess than the police. Don’t vote for 9 more years of it kids.

I used to go fishing down there as a teenager; much changed now with all the new development.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 12:36 - Nov 20 with 4217 viewsGaryCooper

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 11:23 - Nov 20 by WeWereZombies

And who will get targeted most in the stop and search? Bang goes 'Ipswich lives in racial harmony'. Despite a genteel, well dull, exterior Ipswich has always been a roughish town with its fair share of murders. A friend and I once went in The Defiance (now closed) down by the bridge just after the docks because we thought, in the early 1970s, it would be a great laugh to hear the conversations stop, as a pair of long hairs in greatcoats came in. A few days later we read about a stabbing in that pub in The Evening Star. Didn't do that again.

I am not saying that knifings and murders should just be accepted but a bit of perspective is required to assess how much and of what type of policing is required. Knee jerk reactions seldom make matters better.

Those who fit the profile of most likely to be carrying a knife.
Sensitivities and PC nonsense have to take a backseat when protecting the public.
What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 12:49 - Nov 20 with 4174 viewsnorth_stand77

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 10:17 - Nov 20 by chicoazul

Since we havent had "Bobbies on the beat" since the 60s and the useless police force are now effectively a revenge and restitution service rather than an active deterrent of criminals (although they are hopeless at that too, since 90%+ of crimes go unpunished and unsolved), I suggest that foot patrols in pairs are reinstated right across the country. What do we all do when we see a police car parked by the side of the road? We slow down. Maybe that same effect will take affect when we see foot patrols regularly on our streets.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2019 10:18]

There were 'Bobbies on the beat' well in to the 1990s in Suffolk.
It's crazy that it was ever stopped- for all sorts of reasons. Wouldn't it be lovely if this side of policing could return? Sadly life has changed and police officers have to be able to get to places quickly in vehicles and there are not enough of them to be able to walk the beat easily.

It's all been down to successive governments over many years and the massive cuts they've wrongly made.
It's an extremely difficult job, particularly when there's so much violence around now, and police officers have little back up available to them especially in rural areas. I can't see how it wouldn't take many years of recruitment to return the UK to being a safer place.
What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 13:07 - Nov 20 with 4133 viewsWeWereZombies

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 12:36 - Nov 20 by GaryCooper

Those who fit the profile of most likely to be carrying a knife.
Sensitivities and PC nonsense have to take a backseat when protecting the public.

'Forensic examiners are not supposed to be incompetent or dishonest, though far too many are. The professional criminal profiling community holds these responsibilities close–carrying them and other professional obligations forward to meet the cause of justice with an unwavering commitment to education, training, and ethics. The persistent community of forensic frauds, however, can be regularly found ignoring the public trust by virtue of doing the exact opposite.'

From: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780128006078000021

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 13:17 - Nov 20 with 4089 viewsGaryCooper

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 13:07 - Nov 20 by WeWereZombies

'Forensic examiners are not supposed to be incompetent or dishonest, though far too many are. The professional criminal profiling community holds these responsibilities close–carrying them and other professional obligations forward to meet the cause of justice with an unwavering commitment to education, training, and ethics. The persistent community of forensic frauds, however, can be regularly found ignoring the public trust by virtue of doing the exact opposite.'

From: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780128006078000021

Ok read it, what point are you trying to prove? There is no typical knife carrying descriptor?

I was arrested in Stoke park shopping centre aged about 13 for letting off fireworks, I was stopped approximately 4 times the same year by the old Bill and searched, I fitted the profile of someone who was going to let off fireworks.
What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 14:06 - Nov 20 with 3986 viewsWeWereZombies

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 13:17 - Nov 20 by GaryCooper

Ok read it, what point are you trying to prove? There is no typical knife carrying descriptor?

I was arrested in Stoke park shopping centre aged about 13 for letting off fireworks, I was stopped approximately 4 times the same year by the old Bill and searched, I fitted the profile of someone who was going to let off fireworks.

And yet all these years later you do not fit the profile of someone capable of discussing profiling...

In my opinion anyway, I actually have not profiled it...

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 14:09 - Nov 20 with 3978 viewschicoazul

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 12:49 - Nov 20 by north_stand77

There were 'Bobbies on the beat' well in to the 1990s in Suffolk.
It's crazy that it was ever stopped- for all sorts of reasons. Wouldn't it be lovely if this side of policing could return? Sadly life has changed and police officers have to be able to get to places quickly in vehicles and there are not enough of them to be able to walk the beat easily.

It's all been down to successive governments over many years and the massive cuts they've wrongly made.
It's an extremely difficult job, particularly when there's so much violence around now, and police officers have little back up available to them especially in rural areas. I can't see how it wouldn't take many years of recruitment to return the UK to being a safer place.

There are plenty of police. What they need to do is stop spending so much time responding to crime and spend much more time preventing it.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2019 14:10]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 14:14 - Nov 20 with 3962 viewsSteve_M

You think the party that cut funding for every aspect of the criminal justice system - the police, court service, prisons and probation - over the past nine years is going to solve it?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 14:34 - Nov 20 with 3922 viewsGaryCooper

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 14:06 - Nov 20 by WeWereZombies

And yet all these years later you do not fit the profile of someone capable of discussing profiling...

In my opinion anyway, I actually have not profiled it...

Profiling works.
What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 14:41 - Nov 20 with 3908 viewstabletopjoe

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 14:14 - Nov 20 by Steve_M

You think the party that cut funding for every aspect of the criminal justice system - the police, court service, prisons and probation - over the past nine years is going to solve it?

It’s been going on a lot longer than that

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 14:44 - Nov 20 with 3902 viewsallezlesbleus

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 10:10 - Nov 20 by TRUE_BLUE123

I used to walk my dog along that same stretch 3 or 4 times a day / night.

I was back in Ipswich last week and walked from the centre of town to The Premier Inn on the docks at around midnight. I think a tourist visiting Ipswich and doing that same walk would feel very unsafe.

Yes, I know that stop and search will target certain groups. However, if, for example 50 year old white males were the main culprits of stabbings, I would much rather get stopped and searched once a week than end up being stabbed to death or having a family member or friend suffer the same tragic fate.
What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 15:21 - Nov 20 with 3850 viewsnorth_stand77

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 14:09 - Nov 20 by chicoazul

There are plenty of police. What they need to do is stop spending so much time responding to crime and spend much more time preventing it.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2019 14:10]

No there are not.

If you have a crime committed against you, you expect to receive some level of response from the police, preferably for you to be visited and your crime to be investigated. There are not enough officers to do that at the moment.

Any 'Body of people' can help to prevent crime by advice etc, they can be civilians who tour schools, places of work etc. This is how things used to be but on a smaller scale. Police officers were largely left to do what the public expected of them.

Do you honestly believe that by taking further police officers away from the streets to give talks and crime prevention advice, things will improve ?

Also, they now routinely deal with mental health issues. By their own admission they are not best placed to do this and maybe the government could put more resources into properly trained teams who can be first line response when needed. This would also make a huge difference to police officers workload.
What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 15:30 - Nov 20 with 3835 viewsITFC_Forever

It was a targeted attack according to the Star.

Which means the muggers attacked the guy as he was a stranger carrying something they fancied (wallet / phone), or the victim was known to them and singled him out specifically - for whatever reason. (drugs? who knows).

On a more general level, alot of the high profile incidents in Ipswich seem to be targeted victims, who were known to the attackers and they have gone after them for a specific reason.
Which is scant consolation to the victim, but slightly more reassuring to the rest of us - if you don't get mixed up with bad stuff, then you stand a better chance of being left alone to live your normal life in peace.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 15:48 - Nov 20 with 3811 viewschicoazul

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 15:21 - Nov 20 by north_stand77

No there are not.

If you have a crime committed against you, you expect to receive some level of response from the police, preferably for you to be visited and your crime to be investigated. There are not enough officers to do that at the moment.

Any 'Body of people' can help to prevent crime by advice etc, they can be civilians who tour schools, places of work etc. This is how things used to be but on a smaller scale. Police officers were largely left to do what the public expected of them.

Do you honestly believe that by taking further police officers away from the streets to give talks and crime prevention advice, things will improve ?

Also, they now routinely deal with mental health issues. By their own admission they are not best placed to do this and maybe the government could put more resources into properly trained teams who can be first line response when needed. This would also make a huge difference to police officers workload.

"Do you honestly believe that by taking further police officers away from the streets to give talks and crime prevention advice, things will improve ?"

You have completely misunderstood what I said. The police should do what they were invented for which is to act as a deterrent to crime and be a visible presence on our streets instead of hiding in cars. The police cannot unburgle unmug or unattack you but their very presence can prevent all those things from happening in the first place.

There are loads of police. Yes their numbers have gone down but there is still 120k+ of them and many of the duties they had to fulfil when there were many fewer of them, such as securing commercial premises, are no now longer part of their job.

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 16:09 - Nov 20 with 3780 viewsnorth_stand77

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 15:48 - Nov 20 by chicoazul

"Do you honestly believe that by taking further police officers away from the streets to give talks and crime prevention advice, things will improve ?"

You have completely misunderstood what I said. The police should do what they were invented for which is to act as a deterrent to crime and be a visible presence on our streets instead of hiding in cars. The police cannot unburgle unmug or unattack you but their very presence can prevent all those things from happening in the first place.

There are loads of police. Yes their numbers have gone down but there is still 120k+ of them and many of the duties they had to fulfil when there were many fewer of them, such as securing commercial premises, are no now longer part of their job.

Sorry, I didn't read it that way.

However on your other point, the population of our country is increasing all the time and much more crime (and different types of crime) are being commited. Less officers dealing with more 'crime'.
The amount of police officers time alone taken up with dealing with Facebook etc is ridiculous.
What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 16:11 - Nov 20 with 3776 viewsGaryCooper

What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 16:09 - Nov 20 by north_stand77

Sorry, I didn't read it that way.

However on your other point, the population of our country is increasing all the time and much more crime (and different types of crime) are being commited. Less officers dealing with more 'crime'.
The amount of police officers time alone taken up with dealing with Facebook etc is ridiculous.

'The amount of police officers time alone taken up with dealing with Facebook etc is ridiculous'

Easy to solve a little abusive name calling.
What the hell is happening to Ipswich on 16:23 - Nov 20 with 3753 viewsBlueBadger

This is the product of cut-and-farm-out-to-the-private-sector politics.
Not just in policing or legal aid and probation but in youth and community outreach projects.

Almost as if adding the profit motive to inherently non-profit-making services makes them worse, whilst ultimately costing more.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024