Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis 07:19 - Nov 26 with 7424 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

If we take it that Evans won’t be as patient as last year with Lambert of current results continue to disappoint as Phil has suggested. So we bring in someone new by late December/January. We’re around the playoffs let’s say for this scenario, maybe just outside them. But crucially top 2 is getting away from us. Who do we go for?

In no particular options, here are 5 of the names mentioned most for the job and a bit about them from yours truly.

1) Paul Cook - Seems to have improved the more experience hes gained. Didn’t do much early in his managerial career other than an Irish league title. More recently.. took Chesterfield up to league 1 and then got them in the playoffs the following year. Followed that up by winning League 2 with Portsmouth. Followed that up by winning league 1 with Wigan. Had them comfortably mid table last season but their off field problems resulted in them being relegated.

Pros - Knows how to win and get results and can deal with the expectations of big clubs who need promotion. Also said to play a good brand of football. Is currently available.

Cons - Could he now be deemed better than us? He may be waiting for a championship club to come along. Also, by the time we act with Lambert, he could’ve already been snapped up.

2) Danny Cowley - Smashed it as a non league manager at Concord and Braintree. Seemed to be well worth a punt for a league team and Lincoln gave him the chance. Did really well at Lincoln to take them from the conference up to League 1. Also, did well in the cups. Eventually went to Huddersfield but things never worked out there.

Pros - Has plenty of promotions on his CV. Will take the cups seriously (not relevant for this season though). Seemed to create a real togetherness at Lincoln. Is currently available.

Cons - Football is very direct. Hasn’t actually won a promotion from this division or better at any point in his career. Comes on the back of a failed time at Huddersfield in the championship.

3) Lee Johnson - Still relatively inexperienced in number of clubs having only managed Oldham, Barnsley and Bristol City. Seems to be a marmite manager for most people with some thinking he’s top quality and others seeing him as useless. It’s probably somewhere in the middle. Seems to be able to build clubs but hasn’t shown the ability to bring any real success to any of the three he’s managed.

Pros - Has steadily built something at all three clubs he’s been at. None have looked like going down under him (though that is irrelevant for us you’d like to think). The football is generally well received and, even if results aren’t going his way, he sticks to his eye catching brand of football which is admirable. Is currently available.

Cons - Has NEVER won a promotion as a manager. Is coming off the back of a sacking after spending huge money at Bristol City and never getting the end result. His teams often go on long winning runs but then followed up with huge runs of poor results.

4) Kieron Dyer - Unknown quantity as a manager despite a high class career on the pitch. Has been doing a lot of coaching in recent years without breaking through to the first team role anywhere as he’d hoped.

Pros - Knows the club inside out. Would be likely guided by a wise head like a Terry Butcher or someone of that ilk. Could be a hidden gem as a manager, despite having no experience. Knows the youth well already. Would be cheap. Is currently available.

Cons - Has never managed a club. Huge negative. He would be a big punt right now with no experience behind him.

5) Nigel Pearson - He’s managed for many years and that experience as a manager at a much higher level could be useful. Has also got promoted from this league and has actually done well at his recent teams in this country.

Pros - Performed a bit of a miracle at Watford in his last job (Premier League) but was harshly sacked. Has won promotions from this league. Teams have been known to play good football. Hasn’t been one to turn down a challenge and we’re the sort of club he’d go for (perhaps more so if in the championship though). Notoriously good for getting a short term impact. Would definitely ruffle some feathers of senior pros who absolutely need it. Is currently available.

Cons - A fiery character who perhaps has a bit of Hurst in him with his anger. Probably out of the budget that Evans would pay. League 1 might be beneath him at the moment.

My preference - Paul Cook
[Post edited 26 Nov 2020 7:33]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

I was "anti Cowley" when Mick left..... on 09:49 - Nov 26 with 2073 viewsBloots

....based purely on the style of football they were playing at the time.

I was really keen on Hurst and openly suggested him very early on.

I was plainly a massive knobber for doing so.

Given how our position has changed I think Cowley is the best option, but it may mean a change in footballing philosophy from either Evans or him.

Lambert out.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

I was "anti Cowley" when Mick left..... on 09:56 - Nov 26 with 2064 viewsitfcjoe

I was "anti Cowley" when Mick left..... on 09:49 - Nov 26 by Bloots

....based purely on the style of football they were playing at the time.

I was really keen on Hurst and openly suggested him very early on.

I was plainly a massive knobber for doing so.

Given how our position has changed I think Cowley is the best option, but it may mean a change in footballing philosophy from either Evans or him.

Lambert out.

Ditto re Cowley when Mick left, but I wasn't particularly enamoured by Hurst either having watched them a couple of times at the end of the season

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:58 - Nov 26 with 2052 viewsthebooks

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:48 - Nov 26 by Herbivore

Pearson is an awful individual and not what we need at the club right now.

I don’t know a huge amount about him, tbh, beyond his record at Leicester, Watford etc. — he’s generally been successful.

That’s not quite true, if Bob Mortimer’s impression is anything to go by.
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:59 - Nov 26 with 2051 viewsSomethingBlue

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:48 - Nov 26 by Herbivore

Pearson is an awful individual and not what we need at the club right now.

He's actually mellowed quite a lot — and has a reputation that I'm not sure he deserves. Players like him. It's academic anyway as he wouldn't come here.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 10:00 - Nov 26 with 2038 viewsitfcjoe

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:59 - Nov 26 by SomethingBlue

He's actually mellowed quite a lot — and has a reputation that I'm not sure he deserves. Players like him. It's academic anyway as he wouldn't come here.

Do you think Cook, Cowley, Johnson, etc would? Or they'd hold on for 2nd tier

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 10:03 - Nov 26 with 2031 viewsHerbivore

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:58 - Nov 26 by thebooks

I don’t know a huge amount about him, tbh, beyond his record at Leicester, Watford etc. — he’s generally been successful.

That’s not quite true, if Bob Mortimer’s impression is anything to go by.

He's a massive prick, makes Lambert's attitude towards the press look overly friendly. Loves himself massively as well. Leicester didn't get rid for footballing reasons and when a manager is getting the boot for non-footballing reasons that's not ideal. I just don't think he's the kind of character we need currently, even if his record is decent.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 10:05 - Nov 26 with 2024 viewsHerbivore

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:59 - Nov 26 by SomethingBlue

He's been involved in plenty of incidents that make me think he's not the kind of character I'd welcome here. I can't imagine his ego would allow him to manage a League 1 club.

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 10:05 - Nov 26 with 2027 viewshype313

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 10:03 - Nov 26 by Herbivore

He's a massive prick, makes Lambert's attitude towards the press look overly friendly. Loves himself massively as well. Leicester didn't get rid for footballing reasons and when a manager is getting the boot for non-footballing reasons that's not ideal. I just don't think he's the kind of character we need currently, even if his record is decent.

Also, a lot of the credit of the success at Leicester was more down to Craig Shakespeare.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 10:06 - Nov 26 with 2026 viewsSomethingBlue

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 10:00 - Nov 26 by itfcjoe

Do you think Cook, Cowley, Johnson, etc would? Or they'd hold on for 2nd tier

Looking at the Championship table now, apart from Derby (who will do their own thing), is there an obvious vacancy or potential vacancy that leaps out? Not for me, really. Many of the usual merry-go-round jobs like Forest and Sheff Weds have been filled. I guess Alex Neil and Neil Harris might be vulnerable if current trends continue. But even then ...

We're still well placed in the table, in a division where everyone looks very vulnerable, and I always come back to the fact that people in football still see Ipswich as a big, slightly romantic job to take on and get things going again. It's a rare positive to have up our sleeve and amazingly hasn't really worn thin yet. I reckon we'd have a good shout for Cowley, perhaps Johnson but not sure how bothered I'd be about that.

Am increasingly very doubtful Evans can afford — in immediate financial terms — to make a managerial change now though, to be honest.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 10:11 - Nov 26 with 2016 viewshype313

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 10:06 - Nov 26 by SomethingBlue

Looking at the Championship table now, apart from Derby (who will do their own thing), is there an obvious vacancy or potential vacancy that leaps out? Not for me, really. Many of the usual merry-go-round jobs like Forest and Sheff Weds have been filled. I guess Alex Neil and Neil Harris might be vulnerable if current trends continue. But even then ...

We're still well placed in the table, in a division where everyone looks very vulnerable, and I always come back to the fact that people in football still see Ipswich as a big, slightly romantic job to take on and get things going again. It's a rare positive to have up our sleeve and amazingly hasn't really worn thin yet. I reckon we'd have a good shout for Cowley, perhaps Johnson but not sure how bothered I'd be about that.

Am increasingly very doubtful Evans can afford — in immediate financial terms — to make a managerial change now though, to be honest.

I don't think he can afford not to, unless he is happy for us to continue in this league with the salary cap...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 10:17 - Nov 26 with 2005 viewsBluespeed225

Pearson was in the door in 06', great interview by all accounts, had the plan ahead, but finance dictated we went with Jim.
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 12:37 - Nov 26 with 1946 viewscarlo88

Should be the Cowleys, it's a no-brainer.

Perfect next opportunity for them and us.
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 13:38 - Nov 26 with 1910 viewshatch

I've not seen Garry Monk's name mentioned yet.

He's more used to Championship and may want another job at that level but doesn't have an excellent win % with his last two clubs Birmingham and Sheff Weds. However there were unique circumstances at those clubs I feel. He did have a good win % at Leeds, Boro and Swansea.

He could see it as an opportunity at another decent sized club to get a promotion under his belt to build his profile and get his teeth into a club where the owner is not so trigger happy with managers like at Leeds & Sheff Weds.
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:04 - Nov 26 with 1873 viewslongtimefan

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 09:17 - Nov 26 by dirtyboy

Ordinarilly, i'd be against this type of appointment, however...

He's played at the arguably the highest level and will have seen from players around him what it takes to be at that level. I think we can all agree, that injury free he'd have been better regarded all around.

He's been managed by Bobby Robson and also has the Ipswich connection.

If there was a 'plan' in place, he'd get far more time than most given these connections if progress was seen to be made.

It's a punt, but Lampard and Gerrard have made the transitions.

It would be fairly obvious to those around the ground whether he has the nous to do the job I'd suspect.

Trouble is for every Lampard or Gerrard there’s many more Mick Mills, Alan Hunter’s or even Bobby Moore’s.
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:12 - Nov 26 with 1870 viewsPhilTWTD

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 10:03 - Nov 26 by Herbivore

A friend of mine worked with him at Leicester and other clubs and has completely the opposite view of him, liked him a lot and thought he was excellent to work for. Equally, I'm friends with both the journalists he went viral for being rude to when things were getting tough there. Not sure he's quite as spiky with the press as some of our recent incumbents on a general basis. However, all academic, I think he's unlikely to come here anyway.
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:14 - Nov 26 with 1859 viewsitfcjoe

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:12 - Nov 26 by PhilTWTD

A friend of mine worked with him at Leicester and other clubs and has completely the opposite view of him, liked him a lot and thought he was excellent to work for. Equally, I'm friends with both the journalists he went viral for being rude to when things were getting tough there. Not sure he's quite as spiky with the press as some of our recent incumbents on a general basis. However, all academic, I think he's unlikely to come here anyway.

If there is to be a change Phil, who do ou think would come here?

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:27 - Nov 26 with 1849 viewsPhilTWTD

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:14 - Nov 26 by itfcjoe

If there is to be a change Phil, who do ou think would come here?

The whispers I've heard re Cook are that he's waiting for a Championship club, although obviously that could change. Have also heard a couple of times that he's top of the list and even that he may have been spoken to.

Lee Johnson I had heard would be interested if the job came up, having been born in Suffolk and with connections out this way. Not quite sure where I stand on him, Bristol City seemed to veer wildly from 19-game unbeaten runs to 17-match long winless streaks with not a lot in between.

No idea on the Cowleys, although I seem to recall the issue at Huddersfield was that they weren't seen as the men to carry out the club's overall long-term plan, which would also be the job here, so perhaps might have been viewed as another of the 'short-term fixers', a bit like Mick, rather than someone for the longer term.

Obviously there are those with connections with the club who would leap at the chance were it to be offered to them.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:32 - Nov 26 with 1826 viewsitfcjoe

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:27 - Nov 26 by PhilTWTD

The whispers I've heard re Cook are that he's waiting for a Championship club, although obviously that could change. Have also heard a couple of times that he's top of the list and even that he may have been spoken to.

Lee Johnson I had heard would be interested if the job came up, having been born in Suffolk and with connections out this way. Not quite sure where I stand on him, Bristol City seemed to veer wildly from 19-game unbeaten runs to 17-match long winless streaks with not a lot in between.

No idea on the Cowleys, although I seem to recall the issue at Huddersfield was that they weren't seen as the men to carry out the club's overall long-term plan, which would also be the job here, so perhaps might have been viewed as another of the 'short-term fixers', a bit like Mick, rather than someone for the longer term.

Obviously there are those with connections with the club who would leap at the chance were it to be offered to them.

This post has been edited by an administrator

All makes sense - Lee Johnson is a funny one, does a lot right but then is Streaky lee and can't turn things round - he's very good mates with Cole Skuse so would have the inside track so to speak.

I think big issue at Huddersfield is that they wanted more say in the transfers whereas the Chief Exec wants to do that himself so wanted a head coach which they aren't - butted heads a few times. Hard to know how their style of play would adapt here, when they came into L1 with Lincoln they moved away from more direct game.

Who are the ones with connections here that have serious ambitions on it - other than Dyer? I'd expect someone like Kuqi to apply, but can't see far beyond that

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:35 - Nov 26 with 1814 viewsPhilTWTD

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:32 - Nov 26 by itfcjoe

All makes sense - Lee Johnson is a funny one, does a lot right but then is Streaky lee and can't turn things round - he's very good mates with Cole Skuse so would have the inside track so to speak.

I think big issue at Huddersfield is that they wanted more say in the transfers whereas the Chief Exec wants to do that himself so wanted a head coach which they aren't - butted heads a few times. Hard to know how their style of play would adapt here, when they came into L1 with Lincoln they moved away from more direct game.

Who are the ones with connections here that have serious ambitions on it - other than Dyer? I'd expect someone like Kuqi to apply, but can't see far beyond that

Was thinking of those two, can't think of any others off the top of my head who might be interested and credible at the present time.
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:55 - Nov 26 with 1763 viewsArnieM

What about Howe ( ex Cherries manager)?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:57 - Nov 26 with 1756 viewsfooters

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:55 - Nov 26 by ArnieM

You'd have more chance getting a blowjob from the pope.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:59 - Nov 26 with 1747 viewsHerbivore

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:12 - Nov 26 by PhilTWTD

Interesting. Maybe he's the Bluefish of managers, decent on a one to one basis, but puts on the public face of a total weapon.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2020 15:07]

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 15:06 - Nov 26 with 1737 viewshatch

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:55 - Nov 26 by ArnieM

Odds on for the Celtic job too if Neil Lennon goes.
Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 15:14 - Nov 26 with 1718 viewsStokieBlue

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 14:35 - Nov 26 by PhilTWTD

Was thinking of those two, can't think of any others off the top of my head who might be interested and credible at the present time.

Was thinking Tarrico but just looked him up and he's assistant manager at Boudreaux so that seems unlikely!

Of course, he has no management experience either.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 15:15 - Nov 26 with 1714 viewsfooters

Next manager - The likeliest options and some analysis on 15:14 - Nov 26 by StokieBlue

Was thinking Tarrico but just looked him up and he's assistant manager at Boudreaux so that seems unlikely!

Of course, he has no management experience either.

SB

He's a flat earther and anti-vaxxer, Stokie!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024