Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bent on Burley 11:41 - Oct 3 with 3986 viewsJeanManuelThetis

Interesting insight into how Burley was with our young players. Bent picks Burley as the best manager he's worked with; recounts that when he was a 16 year old, how Burley would stay out on the training field with him working on parts of his game.

From 8:42

[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 11:41]
Bent on Burley on 11:50 - Oct 3 with 3875 viewsclive_baker

We've not had a better manager since IMO. Our best chance of success is by looking towards the academy, the players like Woolfenden, Dozzell, Nydam, Downes, Morris, Folami. We should be working towards getting these lads into the first team fold, and developing those around them - Huws, Bishop, Edwards, Jackson, Knudsen etc. Together with the experience of Chambers, Bart, Sears. It's vital that we have a manager that bring those players through and bind that together. I saw it first hand with GB, he's different class.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Bent on Burley on 11:53 - Oct 3 with 3833 viewsJoHnNnY

Bent on Burley on 11:50 - Oct 3 by clive_baker

We've not had a better manager since IMO. Our best chance of success is by looking towards the academy, the players like Woolfenden, Dozzell, Nydam, Downes, Morris, Folami. We should be working towards getting these lads into the first team fold, and developing those around them - Huws, Bishop, Edwards, Jackson, Knudsen etc. Together with the experience of Chambers, Bart, Sears. It's vital that we have a manager that bring those players through and bind that together. I saw it first hand with GB, he's different class.

Yup, up there in my time.... but I think Joe Royle was great, also given this squad would work wonders too.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 19:46]

Can we just play some attractive football please?
Poll: Who would like to see a return of the previous badge design?

Bent on Burley on 11:56 - Oct 3 with 3800 viewsJeanManuelThetis

Agreed. And I think in the short snippet of Bent speaking, you can see why Burley was so good at bringing your players through.

Whether Burley would be good enough to manage now is another matter...
Bent on Burley on 12:09 - Oct 3 with 3693 viewsitfcjoe

It surprises me when I hear some youngsters talk about Burley - some love him, others don't seem to rate him particularly highly even though he was the man to set them on their way to very succesful careers so certainly not a case of sour grapes.

A manager with Burley's pedigree for youth should've been appointed without doubt - that is what excited me much more about Jack Ross than Paul Hurst.

Look up the road - Norwich have brought in £45m for Maddison and the Murphy twins. They now have Max Aarons, Jamal Lewis and Todd Cantwell starting games and will be able to raise big fees for them going forwards.

That has to be the plan - there is such a premium on young English players - of our signings this summer they are all of an age where an exponentially high resale isn't likely - bar potentially Edwards and Jackson and the likes of Nydam, Downes and Dozzell who could push on and be worth fortunes haven't had much of a look in.

This is where I blame Evans for this mess, who is overseeing Hurst, and who is guiding him - how can you allow Nydam to go out and Edun to come in, how can you allow £1.5m(?) to be spent on Nolan when we have promising players in that poition that need to get fit

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bent on Burley on 12:19 - Oct 3 with 3569 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Bent on Burley on 12:09 - Oct 3 by itfcjoe

It surprises me when I hear some youngsters talk about Burley - some love him, others don't seem to rate him particularly highly even though he was the man to set them on their way to very succesful careers so certainly not a case of sour grapes.

A manager with Burley's pedigree for youth should've been appointed without doubt - that is what excited me much more about Jack Ross than Paul Hurst.

Look up the road - Norwich have brought in £45m for Maddison and the Murphy twins. They now have Max Aarons, Jamal Lewis and Todd Cantwell starting games and will be able to raise big fees for them going forwards.

That has to be the plan - there is such a premium on young English players - of our signings this summer they are all of an age where an exponentially high resale isn't likely - bar potentially Edwards and Jackson and the likes of Nydam, Downes and Dozzell who could push on and be worth fortunes haven't had much of a look in.

This is where I blame Evans for this mess, who is overseeing Hurst, and who is guiding him - how can you allow Nydam to go out and Edun to come in, how can you allow £1.5m(?) to be spent on Nolan when we have promising players in that poition that need to get fit

James Maddison wasnt a Norwich academy product, but youre right, they did develop him and make a handsome profit.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Bent on Burley on 12:22 - Oct 3 with 3532 viewsellerblue

could not agree more , we have an u23 team top of their league we should be gradually .drafting them into the first eleven not sending them on loan to lower leagues . If we were to be relegated i would rather it be watching our own talent gaining championship exeperience for our future.

Heinsberg Blue

Bent on Burley on 13:25 - Oct 3 with 3322 viewsWestSussexBlue

Absolutely spot on.
This is what I thought Hurst would do.
Instead we’ve loaned out or ignored some of our own promise and gambled on unproven youth from below championship level.
Bent on Burley on 17:44 - Oct 4 with 2987 viewscarlo88

Bent on Burley on 13:25 - Oct 3 by WestSussexBlue

Absolutely spot on.
This is what I thought Hurst would do.
Instead we’ve loaned out or ignored some of our own promise and gambled on unproven youth from below championship level.

I love George Burley but it's worth remembering his first results were W4 D2 L15.

Still a great manager for us
Login to get fewer ads

Bent on Burley on 18:00 - Oct 4 with 2928 viewsjas0999

Bent on Burley on 11:53 - Oct 3 by JoHnNnY

Yup, up there in my time.... but I think Joe Royle was great, also given this squad would work wonders too.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2018 19:46]

Agreed. Royle was dealt a bad hand and saw players sold, yet he still did very well. Played the right way. Never been so entertained!!
Bent on Burley on 18:11 - Oct 4 with 2889 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Bent on Burley on 17:44 - Oct 4 by carlo88

I love George Burley but it's worth remembering his first results were W4 D2 L15.

Still a great manager for us

In the Prem?

Poll: Best Football Song

Bent on Burley on 18:33 - Oct 4 with 2829 viewsosborne

Bent on Burley on 18:11 - Oct 4 by RoyKeanesDog

In the Prem?

Burleys first 21 games in prem W11 D4 L6!
Bent on Burley on 23:51 - Oct 4 with 2514 viewspatrickswell

Bent on Burley on 18:33 - Oct 4 by osborne

Burleys first 21 games in prem W11 D4 L6!

Carlo is quoting Burley’s 94/95 results, not his 2000/01 ones.
Bent on Burley on 22:01 - Oct 6 with 2199 viewsosborne

Bent on Burley on 23:51 - Oct 4 by patrickswell

Carlo is quoting Burley’s 94/95 results, not his 2000/01 ones.

Ah. Corrected.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024