Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this season a write-off already? 18:56 - Nov 20 with 5138 viewsKernowBluey

After today's daylight robbery of a loss, I feel as if this season is just going be a repeat of last seasons. Lots of hope before Xmas before it all starts to unravel itself to a sub par finish.
I want to believe we're going to into the top 6 this season, but we stutter and stumble again against opposition which we should of blown out of the water with the amount of chances we had.
It really is painful being a Town fan. We want our team to succeed but at the moment nothing is happening to suggest a top 6 finish, although I'd love to proved wrong come May.
I really am hoping that we do turn this season back around, we're already 7 points off the top 6.
All I've known as a young Town fan (21), is empty promises, relegation and unbearable pain. All I want is at least one successful campaign, is that too much to ask for?
My faith is fast running out, but keep the faith, I guess.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2021 18:59]
Is this season a write-off already? on 19:03 - Nov 20 with 3397 viewsParisBlue

Not yet, but automatic looks a long, long way off. Playing catch-up we need top 2 form. 2 points a game over the last 28 games would give us 80 points. We're quite capable of that, but we need to start showing it.

Today was 3 points dropped. We controlled the game, but you need to score goals and we didn't. need to take the chances.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2021 20:30]

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Is this season a write-off already? on 19:04 - Nov 20 with 3389 viewsGarv

I don't see how you can view it as a write off. You need to get a grip, to be honest.

There has been a lot of hope but there's also been a fair bit of pain, as PC would say. The three home 2-2s, Cheltenham, Cambridge, Accrington, and we've not exactly fallen apart have we? We're inconsistent but there is so much of the season to go. Top two obviously looks a massive ask, but we never had a divine right to get there.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Not yet. on 19:07 - Nov 20 with 3362 viewsBlueBadger

But the next 6 weeks are make or break now.

We're nearly halfway into the season and have never yet looked convincingly like putting together a run of wins, let alone a charge up the table.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Is this season a write-off already? on 19:14 - Nov 20 with 3319 viewsKernowBluey

Is this season a write-off already? on 19:04 - Nov 20 by Garv

I don't see how you can view it as a write off. You need to get a grip, to be honest.

There has been a lot of hope but there's also been a fair bit of pain, as PC would say. The three home 2-2s, Cheltenham, Cambridge, Accrington, and we've not exactly fallen apart have we? We're inconsistent but there is so much of the season to go. Top two obviously looks a massive ask, but we never had a divine right to get there.

I wouldn't really necessarily say that we've fallen off, but we've been down this route plenty of times, in seasons before.
I really, really don't to write this season off, but 7 points away from top 6 already is already painful to see, considering what players we have available and what they're capable of.
Cook really needs to have more than one trick up his sleeve, otherwise we'll get sussed out by teams before we've even kicked a ball on the pitch.
Something needs to happen now, rather than later IMO
Is this season a write-off already? on 19:19 - Nov 20 with 3282 viewsGarv

Is this season a write-off already? on 19:14 - Nov 20 by KernowBluey

I wouldn't really necessarily say that we've fallen off, but we've been down this route plenty of times, in seasons before.
I really, really don't to write this season off, but 7 points away from top 6 already is already painful to see, considering what players we have available and what they're capable of.
Cook really needs to have more than one trick up his sleeve, otherwise we'll get sussed out by teams before we've even kicked a ball on the pitch.
Something needs to happen now, rather than later IMO

I understand having a generally pessimistic view based on previous failures, but the club isn't cursed as much as it might seem it.

Basically everything that could have changed at the club did in the summer.

'considering what players we have available and what they're capable of' -you've said it yourself, we can see and have seen what they're capable of, so let's wait and see what they deliver across the next 4-5 months. It's a long time and 7 points isn't a massive amount if you hit a run of form.

Is this season a write-off already? on 19:26 - Nov 20 with 3239 viewsSwansea_Blue

Who knows, that’s the ‘joy’ of football. It’s looking increasingly likely we’ll get nothing from the season now we’ve struggled to sustain momentum against the better teams. Top 2 went weeks ago imo. There’s still an outside shout for top 6, but it’s a big ask. As it was last time everyone started questioning about 5/6 games ago. Not a lot has changed since then.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Is this season a write-off already? on 19:33 - Nov 20 with 3210 viewsKernowBluey

Is this season a write-off already? on 19:19 - Nov 20 by Garv

I understand having a generally pessimistic view based on previous failures, but the club isn't cursed as much as it might seem it.

'considering what players we have available and what they're capable of' -you've said it yourself, we can see and have seen what they're capable of, so let's wait and see what they deliver across the next 4-5 months. It's a long time and 7 points isn't a massive amount if you hit a run of form.

I just want us to have a good season, is that too much to ask for as Town fan?
I was over the moon with the change in ownership, we took billy bigsteps in the right direction with that.
I dunno, I just don't want us to fail another season where it had hope, is all. I get that we'll lose games because you can't win them all, but that's football at the end of the day
Is this season a write-off already? on 19:40 - Nov 20 with 3155 viewsKeaneish

Is this season a write-off already? on 19:04 - Nov 20 by Garv

MASSIVE game Tuesday night now. We need to win our next three to get to 2pts per game since Cambridge. I’d say Rotherham is a must win now. Crewe you’d think would be a slam dunk and we need these results in the bag heading into Charlton who have perked up.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Login to get fewer ads

Is this season a write-off already? on 19:42 - Nov 20 with 3126 viewsParky

No. 28 games and 84 points still up for grabs.
Is this season a write-off already? on 19:46 - Nov 20 with 3098 viewsjayessess

The season certainly isn't a write-off.

Are we capable of 2 points a game or more from here on out? Yes, we are, and we'll make the play-offs if that happens.

The question for me isn't time remaining, it's rate of improvement. Are we going to end up one of the best 2-3 teams in the league? When are we going to hit that level? That's the question. The size of the gap isn't the main issue.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Is this season a write-off already? on 19:46 - Nov 20 with 3096 viewsKernowBluey

Is this season a write-off already? on 19:40 - Nov 20 by Keaneish

MASSIVE game Tuesday night now. We need to win our next three to get to 2pts per game since Cambridge. I’d say Rotherham is a must win now. Crewe you’d think would be a slam dunk and we need these results in the bag heading into Charlton who have perked up.

Your right, absolutely massive game Tuesday and the next couple as well in the next couple of weeks. We really need to be finishing these teams off tho in order to get the points we need.
Hoping for 9 points from the next 3 games, but 7 minimum if we want to be in touch with play offs.
I really want our Ipswich Town to be there in the top 6, come May, I really do.
Is this season a write-off already? on 19:48 - Nov 20 with 3077 viewsIllinoisblue

It’s November. So, no.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Is this season a write-off already? on 19:50 - Nov 20 with 3040 viewschrismakin

Is this season a write-off already? on 19:19 - Nov 20 by Garv

Garv, your bit about 4-5 months... what is there to suggest that we will see a mass improvement on what we've seen so far?

we had a bad start, we had a mini purple patch of non losses.. but overall what's going to give us a run of 5-6 game win runs?

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Is this season a write-off already? on 20:22 - Nov 20 with 2923 viewsDavoIPB

Yep sorry this season is write off. Our players man for man so much better than Sunderland but no idea how to score a goal.
Is this season a write-off already? on 21:25 - Nov 20 with 2707 viewsGarv

Is this season a write-off already? on 19:50 - Nov 20 by chrismakin

Garv, your bit about 4-5 months... what is there to suggest that we will see a mass improvement on what we've seen so far?

we had a bad start, we had a mini purple patch of non losses.. but overall what's going to give us a run of 5-6 game win runs?

It's the old boring excuse unfortunately...they're still a new team littered with players who are still learning what their manager wants.

And when you know the team can score goals like we have, you've always a chance.

Not yet. on 21:46 - Nov 20 with 2645 viewsHighgateBlue

Not yet. on 19:07 - Nov 20 by BlueBadger

But the next 6 weeks are make or break now.

We're nearly halfway into the season and have never yet looked convincingly like putting together a run of wins, let alone a charge up the table.

And when we stutter through those six weeks, there will be many saying that the next six weeks will be crucial. We're still closer on points to automatic relegation than automatic promotion. No better than Lambert with the millions spent is embarrassing.
Is this season a write-off already? on 22:09 - Nov 20 with 2577 viewspointofblue

Is this season a write-off already? on 21:25 - Nov 20 by Garv

It's the old boring excuse unfortunately...they're still a new team littered with players who are still learning what their manager wants.

And when you know the team can score goals like we have, you've always a chance.

And yet Wigan completely overhauled the squad and sit top. "Still learning" or "still gelling" simply doesn't hold weight as an excuse.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Is this season a write-off already? on 22:26 - Nov 20 with 2528 viewspatrickswell

Not a write-off, but we are definitely into “go on, surprise me” territory, because there’s nothing about Cook since he got here or the squad that he’s built to inspire confidence that they’re up to the task of winning promotion.
Is this season a write-off already? on 22:31 - Nov 20 with 2491 viewschrismakin

Is this season a write-off already? on 22:09 - Nov 20 by pointofblue

And yet Wigan completely overhauled the squad and sit top. "Still learning" or "still gelling" simply doesn't hold weight as an excuse.

Why are Wigan the auto comparison?

This is a side that has remained together following an excellent battle to stay up, complimented by solid signings who a large quantity of players had already played with at our other clubs who had also been coached already by the manager.

There isn't a comparison to what has gone on at ipswich. Not even close.

That's not to say though that we are struggling to achieve what we hope it was going to.

What we don't know is what is the expectation of the board. That is key here.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Is this season a write-off already? on 22:34 - Nov 20 with 2488 viewspointofblue

Is this season a write-off already? on 22:31 - Nov 20 by chrismakin

Why are Wigan the auto comparison?

This is a side that has remained together following an excellent battle to stay up, complimented by solid signings who a large quantity of players had already played with at our other clubs who had also been coached already by the manager.

There isn't a comparison to what has gone on at ipswich. Not even close.

That's not to say though that we are struggling to achieve what we hope it was going to.

What we don't know is what is the expectation of the board. That is key here.

Wigan brought in 17 players and let 17 go over the summer - would hardly would call that a side which "remained together"?

Is this season a write-off already? on 22:35 - Nov 20 with 2481 viewsmattrolow

Look at how close we were to the play-offs last season despite being awful.

There’s obviously been frustrations this season but other than Celina and Bonne everyone is tied down and I can only be incredibly excited about what next year can bring.

Imagine if we hadn’t had those first ten games, we would be up there.

Definitely more reason to be excited and positive going forward.
Is this season a write-off already? on 22:42 - Nov 20 with 2447 viewschrismakin

Is this season a write-off already? on 22:34 - Nov 20 by pointofblue

Wigan brought in 17 players and let 17 go over the summer - would hardly would call that a side which "remained together"?

The main core has remained yes. Complimented by leam and his staff going into the season on a high. Signing extra quality that suited the managers chosen style.

Is this season a write-off already? on 22:50 - Nov 20 with 2403 viewschrismakin

Is this season a write-off already? on 22:35 - Nov 20 by mattrolow

Look at how close we were to the play-offs last season despite being awful.

There’s obviously been frustrations this season but other than Celina and Bonne everyone is tied down and I can only be incredibly excited about what next year can bring.

Imagine if we hadn’t had those first ten games, we would be up there.

Definitely more reason to be excited and positive going forward.

Coulson. Bonne. Celina. Walton. Barry. All loans
Aluko. Caroll. 1 year deals.

I swear there was a 6th loan but can't think who it is.

Is this season a write-off already? on 22:50 - Nov 20 with 2408 viewspointofblue

Is this season a write-off already? on 22:42 - Nov 20 by chrismakin

The main core has remained yes. Complimented by leam and his staff going into the season on a high. Signing extra quality that suited the managers chosen style.

Fletwood 2-3 Wigan in their last league match: Amos, Kerr, Whatmough, Power, Bayliss, McLean and Wyke are all new signings from last season. OK, so Tilt (second loan spell from Rotherham), Darikwa, Keane (who was not good enough for us) and Lang are carry overs but would I count them as main core? Not sure.

Is this season a write-off already? on 22:57 - Nov 20 with 2366 viewschrismakin

Is this season a write-off already? on 22:50 - Nov 20 by pointofblue

Fletwood 2-3 Wigan in their last league match: Amos, Kerr, Whatmough, Power, Bayliss, McLean and Wyke are all new signings from last season. OK, so Tilt (second loan spell from Rotherham), Darikwa, Keane (who was not good enough for us) and Lang are carry overs but would I count them as main core? Not sure.

I would, tilt was influential. Keane despite not being very good for us has been superb for them. Whatmough is their signing of the season so far.. and ex leam player. Power again played under leam..and team mates.
Going through other league games more last seasons players pop up too.

They've done a grand job. And done well and done it the best way.

We literally closed itfc and rebuilt it in 1 summer. With 0 good feeling within the squad following last season and a bunch of strangers meeting up.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024