Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. 12:54 - Sep 4 with 8976 viewsmonytowbray

http://news.sky.com/story/mcdonalds-staff-in-the-uk-to-strike-for-first-time-ove

It's actually gone ahead. The first time to my knowledge victims of 0 hour contracts have took public strike action.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:24 - Sep 4 with 2558 viewsReuser_is_God

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:14 - Sep 4 by J2BLUE

It's just a case of most people on more than £10 an hour have no interest in seeing other people get a fair wage. God forbid their expenses go up a little bit. Much better to just happily accept people like McDonalds workers earning peanuts.

Me ME ME

People have such an awful attitude to others, who they deem themselves above, earning decent money.

It probably will never get to the stage where they're earning more than you but if it does then feel free to apply for a job there.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:25 - Sep 4 with 2550 viewschicoazul

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:21 - Sep 4 by tcblue

I would counter that capitalism (or at least influencial capitalists) has a huge vested interest in keeping people in poverty.

Without getting all Steinbeck up in this biyatch, the belief in a system where anyone can bootstrap their way out of poverty is crazy powerful. And codswallop
[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 13:23]

My Dad was born under a table in a council house as 1 of 6 to a housewife and a bricklayer and now lives in a huge detached house with a great pension. There are many stories like this, including Obama's.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:25 - Sep 4 with 2536 viewscaught-in-limbo

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:14 - Sep 4 by blue_oyster

This could be the first example of a strike being a good thing.

Upvoted for genuinely comedic reasons.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:28 - Sep 4 with 2523 viewstcblue

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:25 - Sep 4 by chicoazul

My Dad was born under a table in a council house as 1 of 6 to a housewife and a bricklayer and now lives in a huge detached house with a great pension. There are many stories like this, including Obama's.

And plenty of other stories about hard-working families living in poverty for generations due to the ladder being pulled up.

I never said it was impossible to escape poverty, just that the concept anybody could do it is a fallacy. By definition, capitalism cannot work economically for everyone - it has to be fed.
This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:29 - Sep 4 with 2515 viewschicoazul

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:28 - Sep 4 by tcblue

And plenty of other stories about hard-working families living in poverty for generations due to the ladder being pulled up.

I never said it was impossible to escape poverty, just that the concept anybody could do it is a fallacy. By definition, capitalism cannot work economically for everyone - it has to be fed.

You literally said it was codswallop.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:30 - Sep 4 with 2505 viewsBenters

Why under a table,im not getting that bit?

Blitz was it?

Bloody Germans .

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:31 - Sep 4 with 2509 viewsmonytowbray

Whilst I don't doubt they worked for that, do you not think the fact almost anyone with a small amount of savings could buy a house back then contributed to that?

To use examples from decades ago as an example of how great capitalism is shows being greatly out of touch.

TWTD never forgets…

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:32 - Sep 4 with 2501 viewsblue_oyster

Didn't want to damage the Wedgwood?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Login to get fewer ads

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:32 - Sep 4 with 2500 viewschicoazul

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:30 - Sep 4 by Benters

Why under a table,im not getting that bit?

Blitz was it?

Bloody Germans .

Haha, it was indeed. South London. It's probably a lie he tells to be fair.

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:33 - Sep 4 with 2501 viewsmonytowbray

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:29 - Sep 4 by chicoazul

It is. 1 in 1000 people winning on scratch cards doesn't improve everyone's likelihood of winning the lottery.

TWTD never forgets…

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:33 - Sep 4 with 2498 viewstcblue

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:29 - Sep 4 by chicoazul

That anybody could climb out of poverty. Yes. It is. There are obviously examples where *some* have, but for the vast majority it will never happen because of vested interests in keeping a lower economic class.
This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:34 - Sep 4 with 2489 viewschicoazul

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:31 - Sep 4 by monytowbray

Whilst I don't doubt they worked for that, do you not think the fact almost anyone with a small amount of savings could buy a house back then contributed to that?

To use examples from decades ago as an example of how great capitalism is shows being greatly out of touch.

I used it to show that it is not, indeed, codswallop. And I gave a more recent example too. But it is much much harder now of course, to the point of being almost impossible for some of you.

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:36 - Sep 4 with 2465 viewsReuser_is_God

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:31 - Sep 4 by monytowbray

Still not moved to Burnley then?

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:37 - Sep 4 with 2463 viewstcblue

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:34 - Sep 4 by chicoazul

I used it to show that it is not, indeed, codswallop. And I gave a more recent example too. But it is much much harder now of course, to the point of being almost impossible for some of you.

Which is very much the point I was making, not sure how you got confused. Capitalism is fuelled by the few climbing up pulling up the ladder as they go. So the idea that 'anyone' can pull themselves out of it is, as I stated, codswallop. And it has to be, for the system to work.
This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:40 - Sep 4 with 2444 viewschicoazul

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:37 - Sep 4 by tcblue

Which is very much the point I was making, not sure how you got confused. Capitalism is fuelled by the few climbing up pulling up the ladder as they go. So the idea that 'anyone' can pull themselves out of it is, as I stated, codswallop. And it has to be, for the system to work.

Rockefeller pulled up the ladder? Carnegie? Thomas Edison? Bill Gates?

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:42 - Sep 4 with 2426 viewsmonytowbray

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:40 - Sep 4 by chicoazul

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

TWTD never forgets…

on 13:43 - Sep 4 with 2424 views_

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:43 - Sep 4 with 2423 viewsmonytowbray

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:34 - Sep 4 by chicoazul

Your Dad did it decades ago from a working class family so capitalism is great. That's literally what you said.

TWTD never forgets…

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:45 - Sep 4 with 2400 viewschicoazul

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:42 - Sep 4 by monytowbray

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

do be quiet, adults are talking.

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:48 - Sep 4 with 2386 viewsBenters

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:32 - Sep 4 by chicoazul

Haha, it was indeed. South London. It's probably a lie he tells to be fair.

I believe it .

Gentlybentley

on 13:50 - Sep 4 with 2375 views_

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:45 - Sep 4 by chicoazul

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:53 - Sep 4 with 2368 viewsBenters

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:36 - Sep 4 by Reuser_is_God

Still not moved to Burnley then?

This.

Gentlybentley

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:53 - Sep 4 with 2368 viewstcblue

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:40 - Sep 4 by chicoazul

In effect, yes. Obviously their philanthropy is commendable but that's still wealth redistribution, still moves the ladder, still the ladder is controlled by the few.

Right?
This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:54 - Sep 4 with 2365 viewsmonytowbray

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:45 - Sep 4 by chicoazul

You do this to me all the time whilst adding nothing to debate. I was just taking a page from the 'chicoazul' school of counter points.

TWTD never forgets…

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:55 - Sep 4 with 2360 viewsmonytowbray

This is huge, Maccie D's on strike. on 13:53 - Sep 4 by tcblue

In effect, yes. Obviously their philanthropy is commendable but that's still wealth redistribution, still moves the ladder, still the ladder is controlled by the few.

Right?

Nah his Dad did it so you're wrong or something.
[Post edited 4 Sep 2017 13:55]

TWTD never forgets…

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024