Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken 14:08 - Oct 28 with 5831 viewstractorboy1978

Heard him say after the game last night that he looked at the table before the game and couldn't see the top 8 changing. This was:

Lincoln
Hull
Peterborough
Ipswich
Portsmouth
Charlton
Sunderland
Doncaster

I'd probably put Fleetwood in that mix too but I don't think he's wrong. The table is already taking shape and I can't see anyone below that having the kind of consistency to break into the pack. Unless we have a catastrophic run a la last season we are going to be in/around the top 6. But it makes the games against the other 8 teams listed key and we've already lost to two of them.
Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 18:31 - Oct 28 with 2183 viewsBlueBadger

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 18:02 - Oct 28 by Keaneish

I haven’t seen anything yet to suggest we’ll go up. We seem to have lost our way after bright games in the opening weeks and we’re not even 10 league games in. Continuity and consistency, two essentials Lambert struggles with.

We have seen nothing in the entirety of his tenure to suggest we'll go up. Even the start of last season was ultimately built on sand.
[Post edited 28 Oct 2020 19:01]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 18:53 - Oct 28 with 2162 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

I remember looking on here a few years ago and 3 or 4 people were saying how they liked being a Championship side. They were shouted down as having no ambition. I love the Championship and wish us back there as soon as possible. When we get there, just be grateful for being there and remember these dark days.
Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 19:02 - Oct 28 with 2155 viewsBlueBadger

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 18:53 - Oct 28 by IpswichBoyBlue

I remember looking on here a few years ago and 3 or 4 people were saying how they liked being a Championship side. They were shouted down as having no ambition. I love the Championship and wish us back there as soon as possible. When we get there, just be grateful for being there and remember these dark days.

But...but...bit...the Better Football, the New Grounds...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 19:24 - Oct 28 with 2127 viewsRyorry

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 15:34 - Oct 28 by Oldsmoker

It was fortunate that last night we only had non-essential staff suspected of having Covid-19. If they had been there we might have lost.

Yes, and I hate to say it, but as I said a few weeks ago, I think the most likely reason for us not going up this season (if we don't) is most likely to be that the season doesn't get completed because of Covid - nothing to do with football.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 19:30 - Oct 28 with 2124 viewsjayessess

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 18:53 - Oct 28 by IpswichBoyBlue

I'm not sure why you would "love" being in any particular division over another, really. You might love: watching us win, an exciting player or two, a local lad come through the academy, going to the game with your mates etc. Mere existence in one division over another? I don't get it.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 19:48 - Oct 28 with 2118 viewsHerbivore

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 19:30 - Oct 28 by jayessess

I'm not sure why you would "love" being in any particular division over another, really. You might love: watching us win, an exciting player or two, a local lad come through the academy, going to the game with your mates etc. Mere existence in one division over another? I don't get it.

Watching the Championship isn't half a step away from watching pub football in fairness. This league is toss.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 20:08 - Oct 28 with 2100 viewsIpswichBoyBlue

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 19:30 - Oct 28 by jayessess

The standard of football most of all. 3 ex prem clubs every season and those trying to reach the promise land.
Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 21:26 - Oct 28 with 2072 viewsquirkie

Argyle already broken it and I think they will be thereabouts. If we finish above Argyle we'll be in the play offs at least.

Poll: How long will we be in League One/League Two from next season?

Login to get fewer ads

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 03:14 - Oct 29 with 2017 viewsjayessess

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 20:08 - Oct 28 by IpswichBoyBlue

The standard of football most of all. 3 ex prem clubs every season and those trying to reach the promise land.

But I'm not there to appreciate the opposition? Why not just go and watch a Premier League team if that's what you're about?
[Post edited 29 Oct 2020 3:14]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 08:47 - Oct 29 with 1964 viewsMonkeyAlan

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 14:51 - Oct 28 by Mullet

Bad management. It's very simple. As evidenced last night, last month, last season. When given confidence and stability we are far too good for this league and can win whilst playing badly or even hampered by tactical ineffectiveness.

Winning this league is not too much ask, until we allow ourselves to stay down here long enough for that to become true.

See, there is the problem, you along with others think our players are better than they actually are. This is virtually the same team that got relegated without even a whimper and completely capitulated last season. The players arnt as good as people think.
Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 08:51 - Oct 29 with 1963 viewstractorboy1978

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 08:47 - Oct 29 by MonkeyAlan

See, there is the problem, you along with others think our players are better than they actually are. This is virtually the same team that got relegated without even a whimper and completely capitulated last season. The players arnt as good as people think.

Lambert is very much a constant in that too though.
Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 09:11 - Oct 29 with 1954 viewsChurchman

The players are no world beaters, but the club probably has enough reasonable ones for this level to make a competitive team. I just get the feeling there is no cohesion in the club and therefore in the team. Part of that its the way the club is under Evans, including loss of identity and direction, part of it is a manager who is all wind and hiss.
Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 09:41 - Oct 29 with 1942 viewsHerbivore

I took this sqaud up on FM20 with 100+ points and 100+ goals. I think it's pretty clear where the fault lies.

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 13:24 - Oct 29 with 1901 viewsParisBlue

So if we beat the other 16 teams home and away that should be enough.

#FlatTrackBullies

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 13:58 - Oct 29 with 1890 viewspointofblue

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 17:05 - Oct 28 by Mullet

Excluding youth team players from the team photograph, digging Woolfenden out in the press, depending on your view of some/all of the subs he's made (admittedly he can't be blamed for Downes' injury for example) but the comment was not confined to "the 1st games" was it?

We played badly last night. We dominated possession against an awful side and still nearly let them in and struggled to break them down. If this is us at "really really great" then it isn't good enough.

Whether you see something like the Wigan game as riding our luck simialr to say Burton last season or not, top teams don't lose 4-1 then react the way did against Lincoln. We should be better than that and if we're not, that's on him. We've had two years of underperforming to various magnitudes under Lambert.

Struggling past Gillingham does not mean all is forgiven or he's above criticism.

Whilst I agree with your overall point Coventry lost 4-0 to Rotherham last season and in their next league game were beaten 1-0 by Tranmere. There was an EFL Trophy match in between where they lost on penalties to Forest Green Rovers. After Tranmere they went on a seven match unbeaten run in the league but five of those games were draws. Other than 4-1 thrashings of Wycombe and Tranmere they won most of their matches by the odd goal.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 14:02 - Oct 29 with 1886 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 13:24 - Oct 29 by ParisBlue

So if we beat the other 16 teams home and away that should be enough.

#FlatTrackBullies

There is truth in this. However, we will inevitably slip up and need to be able to get something from the top sides too. There is also a massive concern that if we cannot win against the 7 other best teams at this level, any promotion is going to be short-lived "success". We do need to be building a team to ultimately compete at Championship level.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 14:19 - Oct 29 with 1880 viewsSE1blue

As bizarre as Steve Evans comments were after the Gillingham game were, the one comment that really hit me was him saying 'Town are under pressure to get promotion'.

Whereas Gillingham are not trying to get promoted?

How depressing would it be to watch a club that after only 8 games in, your manager doesn't think you can get promoted or is not concerned that you are not up there. As others have said, this is a terrible league - not to be challenging for promotion amongst this collection of teams would be soul destroying.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2020 14:22]

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 14:32 - Oct 29 with 1862 viewstractorboy1978

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 14:19 - Oct 29 by SE1blue

As bizarre as Steve Evans comments were after the Gillingham game were, the one comment that really hit me was him saying 'Town are under pressure to get promotion'.

How depressing would it be to watch a club that after only 8 games in, your manager doesn't think you can get promoted or is not concerned that you are not up there. As others have said, this is a terrible league - not to be challenging for promotion amongst this collection of teams would be soul destroying.

We really are under pressure to get promoted. If we don't then we really will be mixing with and fishing in the same pond as them. People moaning about the standard of players we have now may quickly get a reality check.
Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 14:25 - Oct 30 with 1790 viewsParisBlue

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 14:19 - Oct 29 by SE1blue

Given that Yeovil, Wycombe, Burton have all been able to get promoted out of this division every team should have hope.

The Championship is a different matter of course...

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 14:36 - Oct 30 with 1783 viewsSE1blue

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 14:32 - Oct 29 by tractorboy1978

We really are under pressure to get promoted. If we don't then we really will be mixing with and fishing in the same pond as them. People moaning about the standard of players we have now may quickly get a reality check.

I agree.

The only positive that League One has brought us is that we've finally played some of the youngsters.

I desperately want us out of this league and will be so pleased when it happens, but I don't look forward to being back in the Championship because our default seems to be to recruit troublesome unwanted Premiership failures or players whose best footballing days were when the shorts were even smaller than our transfer budget.

It can only be better than League One though.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 14:44 - Oct 30 with 1775 viewshype313

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 14:36 - Oct 30 by SE1blue

I agree.

The only positive that League One has brought us is that we've finally played some of the youngsters.

I desperately want us out of this league and will be so pleased when it happens, but I don't look forward to being back in the Championship because our default seems to be to recruit troublesome unwanted Premiership failures or players whose best footballing days were when the shorts were even smaller than our transfer budget.

It can only be better than League One though.

Lets not get things twisted, if we go up then we will come straight back down again, we struggled for 5 years before eventually going through the trap door, what has, or will have changed once we're in that league again?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 20:28 - Oct 30 with 1741 viewsHerbivore

Mick Mills - top 8 won't be broken on 14:44 - Oct 30 by hype313

Lets not get things twisted, if we go up then we will come straight back down again, we struggled for 5 years before eventually going through the trap door, what has, or will have changed once we're in that league again?

We struggled for 5.years? In the 5 years preceding relegation we finished 9th, 6th, 7th, 16th, and 12th. 4 top half finishes in 5 years. That's hardly 5 years of struggle.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024