Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A night from the past in Belfast 00:15 - Apr 8 with 1675 viewswkj

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56669508

I know this is the outcome nobody wanted to see, but it is here and is very real. I hope we never reach the way life used to be, for both sides.

This is why the details of the Brexit deal had a lot of people wound up. If we mess this up, will the NIPA ever be reached again?

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

A night from the past in Belfast on 00:24 - Apr 8 with 1647 viewspointofblue

Is it the Brexit agreement or is it the funeral of Bobby Storey which is enflaming tensions? I guess the second is basically the straw which broke the camel’s back thanks to the first. Horrific to see all the same.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

A night from the past in Belfast on 00:29 - Apr 8 with 1634 viewswkj

A night from the past in Belfast on 00:24 - Apr 8 by pointofblue

Is it the Brexit agreement or is it the funeral of Bobby Storey which is enflaming tensions? I guess the second is basically the straw which broke the camel’s back thanks to the first. Horrific to see all the same.

I know there is a lot of tension surrounding the Northern Ireland protocol. There are already trade checkpoint workers who are feeling fear and intimidation (there was a video recently and ill be darned if I can't find it now).

Of course, Bobby Storey was viewed as the IRA head of intelligence, so his funeral was inevitably going to cause tension too.

What I am scared of for our Irish Friends, is if this turns into the start of a new age of unrest - one thing leads to another, and the NI Protocol is very real, raw and contentious.

Crybaby

A night from the past in Belfast on 00:32 - Apr 8 with 1633 viewsLord_Lucan

A night from the past in Belfast on 00:29 - Apr 8 by wkj

I know there is a lot of tension surrounding the Northern Ireland protocol. There are already trade checkpoint workers who are feeling fear and intimidation (there was a video recently and ill be darned if I can't find it now).

Of course, Bobby Storey was viewed as the IRA head of intelligence, so his funeral was inevitably going to cause tension too.

What I am scared of for our Irish Friends, is if this turns into the start of a new age of unrest - one thing leads to another, and the NI Protocol is very real, raw and contentious.

Mate.

It's 100% drug related

1/ Shipments from England are suffering because of new border controls / customs scrutiny.

2/ Police (for whatever reason) have recently come down heavy on UDA drug gangs and have arrested at least two very prominent members.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

A night from the past in Belfast on 00:35 - Apr 8 with 1622 viewspointofblue

A night from the past in Belfast on 00:29 - Apr 8 by wkj

I think the head of the PSNI will be forced to stand down and they’ll hope that will result in some subsidence in tension. As soon as Brexit won the vote Northern Ireland was always going to be a pressure cooker due to the land border with the EU; maybe it needs to be revisited but it took a long time for the current protocol to be agreed.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

A night from the past in Belfast on 00:35 - Apr 8 with 1624 viewswkj

A night from the past in Belfast on 00:32 - Apr 8 by Lord_Lucan

Mate.

It's 100% drug related

1/ Shipments from England are suffering because of new border controls / customs scrutiny.

2/ Police (for whatever reason) have recently come down heavy on UDA drug gangs and have arrested at least two very prominent members.

I take your point, and it is a good point well made.

Whatever the reasons truly are, there are many different ways which unrest could swing the blame game. No one who was alive in the darker days of the UK and Ireland want to see us return to those times, though my gut feeling is this is the first snowball in what could become an avalanche - there is no room for political error right now.

Crybaby

A night from the past in Belfast on 00:40 - Apr 8 with 1609 viewswkj

A night from the past in Belfast on 00:35 - Apr 8 by pointofblue

I think the head of the PSNI will be forced to stand down and they’ll hope that will result in some subsidence in tension. As soon as Brexit won the vote Northern Ireland was always going to be a pressure cooker due to the land border with the EU; maybe it needs to be revisited but it took a long time for the current protocol to be agreed.

Indeed. This isn't designed to be an anti brexit post, as we've had our fill of those and this is the wrong topic to start point scoring our brexit standpoints on. However, the NI Protocol is very much something that needed a lot more time and focus on. I really do not like what I see from it, and there feels to be many gaps that could put the UK right in the middle of an Ireland and EU dilemma.

Sadly, love them or hate them, our government has a LOT of sleepless nights ahead.

This always felt like it would be a no win situation for the UK upon voting to leave - I sincerely hope I am wrong.

Crybaby

A night from the past in Belfast on 00:44 - Apr 8 with 1610 viewsLord_Lucan

A night from the past in Belfast on 00:35 - Apr 8 by wkj

I take your point, and it is a good point well made.

Whatever the reasons truly are, there are many different ways which unrest could swing the blame game. No one who was alive in the darker days of the UK and Ireland want to see us return to those times, though my gut feeling is this is the first snowball in what could become an avalanche - there is no room for political error right now.

I was talking about this today with a colleague in Portadown, he is a little bit connected - but not in a paramilitary way - but he is a man you always want on your side.

I thought it was more down to shipment problems but he advises it's because of the crackdown on UDA drug gangs.

Whatever happens politically there will be one side going nuts and using it as an excuse. If we gave NI to Dublin there would be war and if we put checkpoints up everywhere there would be war.

IMHO we have to rely on the youngsters. If we could have gone another generation we might have got past the line.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

A night from the past in Belfast on 00:48 - Apr 8 with 1603 viewswkj

A night from the past in Belfast on 00:44 - Apr 8 by Lord_Lucan

I was talking about this today with a colleague in Portadown, he is a little bit connected - but not in a paramilitary way - but he is a man you always want on your side.

I thought it was more down to shipment problems but he advises it's because of the crackdown on UDA drug gangs.

Whatever happens politically there will be one side going nuts and using it as an excuse. If we gave NI to Dublin there would be war and if we put checkpoints up everywhere there would be war.

IMHO we have to rely on the youngsters. If we could have gone another generation we might have got past the line.

I was of the same mind. Though the sad thing is, a lot of the people chucking petrol bombs in the video of the article I linked, were young, agitated folk - possibly wound up by life, but it does feel this generation might be as invested sadly.

Crybaby

Login to get fewer ads

A night from the past in Belfast on 00:58 - Apr 8 with 1594 viewsLord_Lucan

A night from the past in Belfast on 00:48 - Apr 8 by wkj

I was of the same mind. Though the sad thing is, a lot of the people chucking petrol bombs in the video of the article I linked, were young, agitated folk - possibly wound up by life, but it does feel this generation might be as invested sadly.

Youngsters are always going to be involved with gangs and youngsters in NI will also be part of either the provo or UDA persuasion and get into all that. As long as there are drug gangs in Barking there will be drug gangs in Belfast and they will each cling on to other tribal issues.

What I am getting at I suppose is that if I go to Belfast now it is completely different to 25 years ago. I turned 30 when I was in Belfast and Eubank was fighting Collins, I watched in a pub. Crazy days man! I swear to God I cannot explain - and that was in 1995 when things were relatively peaceful by then.

Because of this - I genuinely don't seeing it getting back to what it was back in the day. All we are seeing are riots, we see them in England frequently. We aren't seeing mass bombings in pubs and shopping centres.

A night from the past in Belfast on 01:36 - Apr 8 with 1570 viewsKievthegreat

A night from the past in Belfast on 00:58 - Apr 8 by Lord_Lucan

Youngsters are always going to be involved with gangs and youngsters in NI will also be part of either the provo or UDA persuasion and get into all that. As long as there are drug gangs in Barking there will be drug gangs in Belfast and they will each cling on to other tribal issues.

What I am getting at I suppose is that if I go to Belfast now it is completely different to 25 years ago. I turned 30 when I was in Belfast and Eubank was fighting Collins, I watched in a pub. Crazy days man! I swear to God I cannot explain - and that was in 1995 when things were relatively peaceful by then.

Because of this - I genuinely don't seeing it getting back to what it was back in the day. All we are seeing are riots, we see them in England frequently. We aren't seeing mass bombings in pubs and shopping centres.

It was a real eye opener when I went over there. The centre of Belfast is really nice and up and coming, unless you left the city centre that is. We won a free open top bus tour and we were stuck with not much planned before or flight so we just hopped on and when it goes out into the different Catholic and Protestant areas, all the mural you see on TV, the "peace Walls". An almost surreal experience given how much it jarred with the City Centre's redevelopment, the whole waterfront area, and the general friendliness of people there.

Although that's as a tourist, I dare say living there is a more interesting perspective.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2021 1:37]
A night from the past in Belfast on 07:28 - Apr 8 with 1427 viewsGaryCooper

Mate.

It's 100% drug related

I lived in NI for six years, still speak to friends over there on a regular basis, you are dead right about drugs related, supplies have been interrupted and the youth are rioting and being paid to riot.
A night from the past in Belfast on 16:14 - Apr 8 with 1258 viewsmonytowbray

A night from the past in Belfast on 07:28 - Apr 8 by GaryCooper

I lived in NI for six years, still speak to friends over there on a regular basis, you are dead right about drugs related, supplies have been interrupted and the youth are rioting and being paid to riot.

Is there evidence of this? Sounds a bit conspiracy theory at face value.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

[Redacted] on 16:38 - Apr 8 with 1245 viewsvictorywilhappen

Mate.

It's 100% drug related

[Redacted]
A night from the past in Belfast on 16:45 - Apr 8 with 1234 viewsGlasgowBlue

Mate.

It's 100% drug related

And had MP's voted for May's deal to keep us in a customs union then we'd have still had Brexit and a frictionless drugs trade.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

A night from the past in Belfast on 17:45 - Apr 8 with 1198 viewsSteve_M

A night from the past in Belfast on 16:45 - Apr 8 by GlasgowBlue

And had MP's voted for May's deal to keep us in a customs union then we'd have still had Brexit and a frictionless drugs trade.

The DUP choose to vote against it didn't they?

And it was still predicated on some kind of magical interface with Ireland by ignoring the single market. The customs union would have helped though so it would have been better than Johnson's disingenuousness on the sea border.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

A night from the past in Belfast on 17:48 - Apr 8 with 1191 viewsGlasgowBlue

A night from the past in Belfast on 17:45 - Apr 8 by Steve_M

The DUP choose to vote against it didn't they?

And it was still predicated on some kind of magical interface with Ireland by ignoring the single market. The customs union would have helped though so it would have been better than Johnson's disingenuousness on the sea border.

They did vote against it.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

A night from the past in Belfast on 18:45 - Apr 8 with 1121 viewsmonytowbray

A night from the past in Belfast on 16:45 - Apr 8 by GlasgowBlue

I suppose that's one way to wash your hands of your own responsibility in enabling racists and committing economic suicide by being the board's amplifier for Andrew Neil's C+Ped opinion.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

A night from the past in Belfast on 18:58 - Apr 8 with 1102 viewsWicklowBlue

A night from the past in Belfast on 18:45 - Apr 8 by monytowbray

I suppose that's one way to wash your hands of your own responsibility in enabling racists and committing economic suicide by being the board's amplifier for Andrew Neil's C+Ped opinion.

Here we go...I predict this thread will get to 3 pages before it disappears forever.
A night from the past in Belfast on 18:59 - Apr 8 with 1100 viewsjaykay

wasnt bobby storey funeral nearly a year ago. they just using it as a excuse now

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

A night from the past in Belfast on 19:11 - Apr 8 with 1081 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

A night from the past in Belfast on 00:44 - Apr 8 by Lord_Lucan

Lord Lucan - Your post and especially the last paragraph concerning the youngsters and another generation is so so true. Without any extra turmoil, angst, excuse, encouragement, these young people have been through so much.
I said in another post on another thread, that we all owe a debt of gratitude to all young people who have assisted in getting us older folk through this pandemic, wherever they may be in the UK., and especially so in Northern Ireland.
The drug issue throughout the United Kingdom is a far larger threat than many of us realise and certain parts of it more so than others.
A night from the past in Belfast on 19:12 - Apr 8 with 1079 viewsWicklowBlue

A night from the past in Belfast on 18:59 - Apr 8 by jaykay

wasnt bobby storey funeral nearly a year ago. they just using it as a excuse now

One issue is that none of the Republican attendees at the funeral are going to be prosecuted. Along with NIP are the public "excuses" for the current unrest.
A night from the past in Belfast on 20:07 - Apr 8 with 1033 viewsZXBlue

A night from the past in Belfast on 19:12 - Apr 8 by WicklowBlue

One issue is that none of the Republican attendees at the funeral are going to be prosecuted. Along with NIP are the public "excuses" for the current unrest.

I have no doubt that drugs and gangs are part of it.

But the protocol and the GFA were all abotu a compromise. Frictionless trade and border between North and South to please the republicans, and maintaining the same with GB for the unionists. Lots more to it of course.

The point is, that a border on the island of ireland was rightly noted to be something in flagrant breach of the agreemnt, and guaranteed to infuriate republicans. For unionists, virtually the same can be said of a border between GB and NI but that does not appear to have been given anything liek as much weight or consideration.
A night from the past in Belfast on 20:20 - Apr 8 with 1006 viewsLord_Lucan

A night from the past in Belfast on 20:07 - Apr 8 by ZXBlue

I have no doubt that drugs and gangs are part of it.

But the protocol and the GFA were all abotu a compromise. Frictionless trade and border between North and South to please the republicans, and maintaining the same with GB for the unionists. Lots more to it of course.

The point is, that a border on the island of ireland was rightly noted to be something in flagrant breach of the agreemnt, and guaranteed to infuriate republicans. For unionists, virtually the same can be said of a border between GB and NI but that does not appear to have been given anything liek as much weight or consideration.

The rioters have as much interest in the GFA, frictionless trade and a border in the Irish Sea as Ken Dodd had in paying his tax.

It is all about the Irish mafia.

A night from the past in Belfast on 20:27 - Apr 8 with 996 viewsfooters

A night from the past in Belfast on 20:20 - Apr 8 by Lord_Lucan

The rioters have as much interest in the GFA, frictionless trade and a border in the Irish Sea as Ken Dodd had in paying his tax.

It is all about the Irish mafia.

Daniel Kinahan's name is making a bit of stink in the boxing world...

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

A night from the past in Belfast on 08:07 - Apr 9 with 894 viewsSwansea_Blue

Brexit (specifically Boris selling N. Ireland down the river) has provided the underpinning legal conditions that others can use to inflame things by the looks of it. So it seems to be a bit of both; Brexit is part of the backdrop, although you also have to wonder whether they'd have found another way irrespective of Brexit as it seems a very fragile peace. DUP stirring the sh*t as usual too. Such a shame.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024