Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wigan Athletic have gone into admin 12:32 - Jul 1 with 3970 viewsEastTownBlue

The first of many ?

[Post edited 1 Jul 2020 12:32]
Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 13:30 - Jul 1 with 1194 viewsblueprint

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 13:03 - Jul 1 by hoppy

And ourselves.... oh.

That’s just typical of Ipswich. Can’t even get administration right.
Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 13:35 - Jul 1 with 1187 viewsFtnfwest

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 13:14 - Jul 1 by Steve_M

In addition:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jul/01/wigan-go-into-administration-fo

I'd take the points hit now rather than start 12 points behind everyone next year. If that's what it comes to.
Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 13:41 - Jul 1 with 1162 viewsGodBlue

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 13:29 - Jul 1 by ElderGrizzly

12 point deduction confirmed by EFL. Just to determine which season it applies to

That feels like the right response. Fair play to them for getting it out quickly, but how on Earth did NLF pass the new owners test, if the point of it is to prove that the new owners have the funds for the next whole season and any remainder of the current one?

I guess having the funds and being willing to spend them are different things, but still sounds pretty ropey.

Poll: After 778 days, what’s improved since Paul Lambert arrived?

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 13:44 - Jul 1 with 1146 viewsElderGrizzly

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 13:35 - Jul 1 by Ftnfwest

I'd take the points hit now rather than start 12 points behind everyone next year. If that's what it comes to.

Its not up to them. If they are already in the bottom 3 it will apply next season, otherwise it is this season

Looks like they might try force majeure though 🙄

[Post edited 1 Jul 2020 13:45]
Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 13:45 - Jul 1 with 1134 viewsDanTheMan

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 13:29 - Jul 1 by ElderGrizzly

12 point deduction confirmed by EFL. Just to determine which season it applies to

The fit and proper test is just a bit of a joke at this point.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 13:47 - Jul 1 with 1134 viewsFtnfwest

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 13:44 - Jul 1 by ElderGrizzly

Its not up to them. If they are already in the bottom 3 it will apply next season, otherwise it is this season

Looks like they might try force majeure though 🙄

[Post edited 1 Jul 2020 13:45]

In the construction industry we're advised to come to a mutual agreement with contractors over delay and costs, which so far we have, as the alternatives will never get things resolved and cost everyone even more. So 6 points it is!
Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 13:49 - Jul 1 with 1124 viewsRyorry

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 12:48 - Jul 1 by Illinoisblue

Weren’t they taken over by a Hong Kong based fund just a few weeks ago?

Could the appalling goings on currently in HK be connected in some way?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 14:01 - Jul 1 with 1095 viewsChrisd

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 13:05 - Jul 1 by clive_baker

12 points deduction this season will take them from mid table to likely relegation to L1 and the £8m hit to turnover, why would they opt for that? Wouldn't they be better off staying in the Championship and starting next season on -12.

The EFL will penalise them at the end of this season, however the form Wigan are in they've got a real good chance of staying up regardless of the 12 point deduction. They have won 4 of the their last 5 league games, drawing the other.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Login to get fewer ads

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 14:15 - Jul 1 with 1068 viewsRadlett_blue

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 12:50 - Jul 1 by blueprint

Often does these clubs a favour. Look how Leicester and Portsmouth recovered after Administration.

Portsmouth went into administration twice and were relegated three times and are still in the 3rd tier. I wouldn't call that a huge recovery.
Leicester City went into administration as long ago as 2002 and yes, they kept their squad together and managed to be promoted back to the Premier League (that's why the 10 point penalty was introduced) they were immediately relegated again and went down to the 3rd tier 5 years later. Of more concern is that they (plus Bournemouth & others) broke FFP rules when getting promoted to the PL, but nothing can be done about that until they are back in the Football League. I wonder what action will be taken against Bournemouth if they are relegated this season?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 14:16 - Jul 1 with 1064 viewsclive_baker

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 14:01 - Jul 1 by Chrisd

The EFL will penalise them at the end of this season, however the form Wigan are in they've got a real good chance of staying up regardless of the 12 point deduction. They have won 4 of the their last 5 league games, drawing the other.

They do, but that's by no means certain. 12 points off their tally this season will really put them in trouble, I can't see why they would've proactively forced that in the hope they can make up a 4 point deficit to finish 12+ points outside the drop zone. If they were 17 / 18 points clear of the bottom 3 I would buy that, but it feels like a monumental level of risk at this stage to perhaps relegate themselves and forgo £8m of revenue next season. They could've waited a few weeks to see how the results go.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 14:38 - Jul 1 with 998 viewsChrisd

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 14:16 - Jul 1 by clive_baker

They do, but that's by no means certain. 12 points off their tally this season will really put them in trouble, I can't see why they would've proactively forced that in the hope they can make up a 4 point deficit to finish 12+ points outside the drop zone. If they were 17 / 18 points clear of the bottom 3 I would buy that, but it feels like a monumental level of risk at this stage to perhaps relegate themselves and forgo £8m of revenue next season. They could've waited a few weeks to see how the results go.

From what I have read, it is all decided once their league standing is finalised at the end of the season. If they keep winning, although I appreciate it is a big if, then they have got every chance of staying up. You've got some big sides down there that seem to be dropping like a stone and their form isn't great - Huddersfield (lost their last 3), Stoke (1 win from their last 5, losing the last two) and Hull City (no win in 5, lost 4 of those games), it's still very much achievable and still very much in their own hands. I see David Whelan, their former owner, wants to try and help the club out.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 16:21 - Jul 1 with 904 viewshochiblue

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 12:36 - Jul 1 by Steve_M

Must have suffered without their massive crowds.

Very much the first of many, too many clubs were unsustatinable before Covid hit. I wonder how the 10 point penalty works given it is now June.

Interesting that they twice cite the "punishing economics" in the Championship, and that their payroll went up by 75% after promotion, from £10m per season to £17.5m per season.
These are the issues that Marcus struggles with I believe, and aren't going away any time soon. While you have at least 7 or 8 clubs in the Championship still receiving parachute payments, and the potential bonanza if you gamble on promotion and win, crazy economics will continue to get worse.
A question as to why their due diligence didn't tell them what the championship economics or the club's financial position looked like would be worth asking.
I feel more sympathy with Marcus now, I must admit, but do wish he could select a decent manager.
Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 08:00 - Jul 2 with 729 viewsWacko

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 12:44 - Jul 1 by ElderGrizzly

This one in particular does stink a bit.

Admin after being owned for just 4 weeks? A quick way of clearing debt for new owners and ‘re-setting’ in L1?

12 point penalty if applied and would be applied this season as it is a punishment. If they were already down it would apply next season
[Post edited 1 Jul 2020 12:46]

BBC says Hong Kong owners have pulled out:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53256015

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 08:02 - Jul 2 with 724 viewsElderGrizzly

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 08:00 - Jul 2 by Wacko

BBC says Hong Kong owners have pulled out:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53256015

How can owners just “pull out”? Are they catholic?
Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 08:15 - Jul 2 with 703 viewsWacko

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 08:02 - Jul 2 by ElderGrizzly

How can owners just “pull out”? Are they catholic?

Not sure, but what I can say is that Wigan have been well and truly f**cked

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Wigan Athletic have gone into admin on 10:09 - Jul 2 with 626 viewsElderGrizzly

Looks like ‘corruption’ is very much at the heart of this

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024