Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon 18:08 - Mar 3 with 3471 viewsGuthrum

Livestream here:

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:26 - Mar 4 with 784 viewsStokieBlue

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:21 - Mar 4 by The_Flashing_Smile

I wouldn't want to be the chap to test the first manned one.

They clearly aren't going to be putting people anywhere near it until it's fully working much like they didn't with the Falcon rockets. Also have to remember that all the crashes have been trying to land which won't be with people on a lot of missions (as they will have gotten off at the Lunar Gateway).

Also just to understand the challenges here this is only the top of the rocket. The actual booster rocket which goes below is twice the size of this and they haven't started with that at all yet. This has 3 raptor engines, the bottom rocket has 28 raptor engines.

For some comparison, this rocket is bigger than the SLS that NASA are building and it will be (if it works) fully reusable and thus cheap to launch. The NASA one is discarded every launch and thus a new one has to be built for every launch they want to do. The challenges in making it reusable are massive.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:28 - Mar 4 with 784 viewsStokieBlue

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 08:18 - Mar 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

Can we just concentrate on trying to sort out Earth first. Let's try to Make Earth Great Again.

I really don't understand this attitude. Development of technology tends to lead to lots of other benefits which are unforeseen at the time.

It's also his own and investors money he is spending and if it works it'll actually make space exploration cheaper.

The whole post is a fallacy, there is no reason why both things can't be focused on, the money spent on space exploration is tiny in the grand scheme of things.

SB

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:38 - Mar 4 with 780 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:26 - Mar 4 by StokieBlue

They clearly aren't going to be putting people anywhere near it until it's fully working much like they didn't with the Falcon rockets. Also have to remember that all the crashes have been trying to land which won't be with people on a lot of missions (as they will have gotten off at the Lunar Gateway).

Also just to understand the challenges here this is only the top of the rocket. The actual booster rocket which goes below is twice the size of this and they haven't started with that at all yet. This has 3 raptor engines, the bottom rocket has 28 raptor engines.

For some comparison, this rocket is bigger than the SLS that NASA are building and it will be (if it works) fully reusable and thus cheap to launch. The NASA one is discarded every launch and thus a new one has to be built for every launch they want to do. The challenges in making it reusable are massive.

SB

Cheers for the info. I knew bits of it, was being slightly facetious.

Why does the Lunar Gateway sound to me like a space station between Earth and Mars where you can buy narcotics, slaves, uranium and Mars Cheddar to trade with?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:43 - Mar 4 with 775 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:22 - Mar 4 by The_Flashing_Smile

Exploration of space, and the development of the technology to do so, does benefit Earth. Also the two aren't mutually exclusive anyway.

Well that's working out just great so far.
It's really great for weapons development too....hoorah!
A typically patriarchal, male world view too might I add!!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:46 - Mar 4 with 771 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:43 - Mar 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

Well that's working out just great so far.
It's really great for weapons development too....hoorah!
A typically patriarchal, male world view too might I add!!

The technology developed for space which benefits Earth is way more than just military hardware... and I've no idea what the patriarchy has to do with it.

I'll assume you're trolling and ignore this silliness now.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:46 - Mar 4 with 771 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:28 - Mar 4 by StokieBlue

I really don't understand this attitude. Development of technology tends to lead to lots of other benefits which are unforeseen at the time.

It's also his own and investors money he is spending and if it works it'll actually make space exploration cheaper.

The whole post is a fallacy, there is no reason why both things can't be focused on, the money spent on space exploration is tiny in the grand scheme of things.

SB

It is more about the state of mind/thinking that this failed paradigm reflects! (All terribly male, colonial, expansionist and all that!)

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:49 - Mar 4 with 767 viewsStokieBlue

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:46 - Mar 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

It is more about the state of mind/thinking that this failed paradigm reflects! (All terribly male, colonial, expansionist and all that!)

Going to have to disagree and say that's total rubbish for the points I've already raised and which you've not really addressed.

To claim technological progress and exploration is a flawed state of mind is to fundamentally misunderstand humanity since it's first moves towards packs a few hundred thousand years ago.

SB

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:49 - Mar 4 with 766 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:46 - Mar 4 by The_Flashing_Smile

The technology developed for space which benefits Earth is way more than just military hardware... and I've no idea what the patriarchy has to do with it.

I'll assume you're trolling and ignore this silliness now.

Maybe you can highlight some of the benefits of landing on the moon for me....and don't tell me Michael Jackson's dancing!

Login to get fewer ads

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:53 - Mar 4 with 762 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:49 - Mar 4 by StokieBlue

Going to have to disagree and say that's total rubbish for the points I've already raised and which you've not really addressed.

To claim technological progress and exploration is a flawed state of mind is to fundamentally misunderstand humanity since it's first moves towards packs a few hundred thousand years ago.

SB

All about priorities and how you use it...!
I imagine if women had previously and currently had more of a say then Earthcare rather than warfare may have been a greater priority than all this cock waving!

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:58 - Mar 4 with 761 viewsStokieBlue

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:49 - Mar 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

Maybe you can highlight some of the benefits of landing on the moon for me....and don't tell me Michael Jackson's dancing!

With regards specifically to technology:

- Better solar panels
- Heart monitors
- Wireless pace makers
- Cordless electric tools
- Velco
- Quartz clocks
- Better dialysis treatments
- Cool suits for fire fighters
- Automated dosages of medicine in hospitals
- Digital image processing

That is clearly just a small list and I suspect you are thinking more about the social benefits. The biggest one would be starting down the road to the bankruptcy of the soviet union and the end of the threat of MAD that hung over everyone's heads.

And most importantly we learnt new things, that should never be underestimated. As for the cost, it was roughly the same cost as furlough but over 12 years.

SB

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:59 - Mar 4 with 759 viewsStokieBlue

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:53 - Mar 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

All about priorities and how you use it...!
I imagine if women had previously and currently had more of a say then Earthcare rather than warfare may have been a greater priority than all this cock waving!

The fact that you think space exploration is "cock waving" is more an indictment of you than anything else.

Nobody has mentioned warfare, it's an annoying false equivalence you keep making.

SB

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 11:05 - Mar 4 with 756 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:58 - Mar 4 by StokieBlue

With regards specifically to technology:

- Better solar panels
- Heart monitors
- Wireless pace makers
- Cordless electric tools
- Velco
- Quartz clocks
- Better dialysis treatments
- Cool suits for fire fighters
- Automated dosages of medicine in hospitals
- Digital image processing

That is clearly just a small list and I suspect you are thinking more about the social benefits. The biggest one would be starting down the road to the bankruptcy of the soviet union and the end of the threat of MAD that hung over everyone's heads.

And most importantly we learnt new things, that should never be underestimated. As for the cost, it was roughly the same cost as furlough but over 12 years.

SB

Fire fighters look cool in any old suit!

Regardless of wider arguments on these technologies and their importance, there development, or not, is a matter of will not space! It is more a matter of where we want to focus that human ingenuity and will.
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 11:08]

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 11:07 - Mar 4 with 751 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:59 - Mar 4 by StokieBlue

The fact that you think space exploration is "cock waving" is more an indictment of you than anything else.

Nobody has mentioned warfare, it's an annoying false equivalence you keep making.

SB

Warfare, just like space exploration is a very wavy cock paradigm!

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 12:20 - Mar 4 with 730 viewsstonojnr

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:49 - Mar 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

The biggest benefit other than all the science & tech & for every dollar spent it creates about 14 dollars in return, it actually kickstarted the environment movement to protect the Earth, because the biggest thing we discovered on the moon,is how fragile our planet is. The hole in the ozone layer wouldnt have been confirmed without orbitting satellites using NASA technology and NASA climate science.
SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 12:32 - Mar 4 with 725 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 12:20 - Mar 4 by stonojnr

The biggest benefit other than all the science & tech & for every dollar spent it creates about 14 dollars in return, it actually kickstarted the environment movement to protect the Earth, because the biggest thing we discovered on the moon,is how fragile our planet is. The hole in the ozone layer wouldnt have been confirmed without orbitting satellites using NASA technology and NASA climate science.

So we have created wealth further spent on depleting the planets resources, paying for tech to spot and then fail to fix the damage caused by the same mindset!
Some people didn't need to see the view from space to see what we have been doing wrong.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Spring

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 12:38 - Mar 4 with 722 viewsStokieBlue

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 12:32 - Mar 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

So we have created wealth further spent on depleting the planets resources, paying for tech to spot and then fail to fix the damage caused by the same mindset!
Some people didn't need to see the view from space to see what we have been doing wrong.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Spring

It's getting to the point where it's pointless replying to you because you either ignore the point or you deliberately misinterpret it in order to push your own view.

The book you've decided to paste, whilst interesting is nothing to do with the ozone layer (CFC's) or using space based tools to help with environmental issues.

As for resources, if we can get them from the plentiful supplies in the solar system we won't have to deplete the ones on Earth at all so really given your first sentence you should be in support of the space programme and exploration.

SB

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 12:59 - Mar 4 with 715 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 12:38 - Mar 4 by StokieBlue

It's getting to the point where it's pointless replying to you because you either ignore the point or you deliberately misinterpret it in order to push your own view.

The book you've decided to paste, whilst interesting is nothing to do with the ozone layer (CFC's) or using space based tools to help with environmental issues.

As for resources, if we can get them from the plentiful supplies in the solar system we won't have to deplete the ones on Earth at all so really given your first sentence you should be in support of the space programme and exploration.

SB

It is about how our exploitative tech centric mindset has been seen for the destructive force it is though without the need to pop off to space.
Your final paragraph sums up the problem of a distinctly 'male' mindset better than I possibly could. Whoops, so we f#cked up Earth.....next!

As for wilfully misrepresenting stuff, a previous thread in which you stubbornly refused to see an obvious point left me feeling ther same way. It was where you tried to suggest that I was saying that ID cards lead to authoritarian regimes when I was clearly only suggesting that unknown future such regimes could make use of such existing poorly thought out schemes.

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 13:06 - Mar 4 with 714 viewsStokieBlue

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 12:59 - Mar 4 by BanksterDebtSlave

It is about how our exploitative tech centric mindset has been seen for the destructive force it is though without the need to pop off to space.
Your final paragraph sums up the problem of a distinctly 'male' mindset better than I possibly could. Whoops, so we f#cked up Earth.....next!

As for wilfully misrepresenting stuff, a previous thread in which you stubbornly refused to see an obvious point left me feeling ther same way. It was where you tried to suggest that I was saying that ID cards lead to authoritarian regimes when I was clearly only suggesting that unknown future such regimes could make use of such existing poorly thought out schemes.

I give up, for instance:

"Your final paragraph sums up the problem of a distinctly 'male' mindset better than I possibly could. Whoops, so we f#cked up Earth.....next!"

I didn't say that, you've misrepresented what I said again and also not even addressed the actual point I made.

"As for wilfully misrepresenting stuff, a previous thread in which you stubbornly refused to see an obvious point left me feeling ther same way. It was where you tried to suggest that I was saying that ID cards lead to authoritarian regimes when I was clearly only suggesting that unknown future such regimes could make use of such existing poorly thought out schemes."

Sigh. That isn't what happened at all as the other people in the thread clearly pointed out.

Enjoy your day because I'm not going to go around in circles on this when you refuse to engage with any points.

SB
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 13:07]

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 14:17 - Mar 4 with 699 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 13:06 - Mar 4 by StokieBlue

I give up, for instance:

"Your final paragraph sums up the problem of a distinctly 'male' mindset better than I possibly could. Whoops, so we f#cked up Earth.....next!"

I didn't say that, you've misrepresented what I said again and also not even addressed the actual point I made.

"As for wilfully misrepresenting stuff, a previous thread in which you stubbornly refused to see an obvious point left me feeling ther same way. It was where you tried to suggest that I was saying that ID cards lead to authoritarian regimes when I was clearly only suggesting that unknown future such regimes could make use of such existing poorly thought out schemes."

Sigh. That isn't what happened at all as the other people in the thread clearly pointed out.

Enjoy your day because I'm not going to go around in circles on this when you refuse to engage with any points.

SB
[Post edited 4 Mar 2021 13:07]

Hmmmm!!

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 14:59 - Mar 4 with 686 viewsthebluewizzard

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:15 - Mar 4 by EdwardStone

Exactly what I was thinking

And how exactly did Father Tracey allocate the various Thunderbirds to his sons?

I reckon the very phallic T'Bird 1 was given to the son with the biggest kn0b

The son with extreme halitosis was exiled to deep space in T'Bird 5....I can't remember his name

The ugly lumbering and very un-aerodynamic T'Bird 2 was given to the chubby son, Vigil I believe

With thanks to our friends at Wikipedia - would appear from the website that this page was put together by someone with the square root of SFA to do.
Thunderbird 1 Pilot: Scott Tracy
Thunderbird 2 Pilot: Virgil Tracy
Co-pilot: Gordon Tracy
Thunderbird 3 Astronaut: Alan Tracy or John Tracy
Co-pilots: Scott Tracy and Tin-Tin Kyrano
Thunderbird 4 Aquanaut: Gordon Tracy
Thunderbird 5 Space Monitor: John Tracy or Alan Tracy
SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 09:21 - Mar 5 with 643 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Yesterday morning my son said, "Did any of the others work?" Love the fact that when I said they would keep on trying he thought there and then.

This morning he wanted to know when the next attempt will be. He really wants to watch again.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 09:23 - Mar 5 with 642 viewsStokieBlue

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 09:21 - Mar 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

Yesterday morning my son said, "Did any of the others work?" Love the fact that when I said they would keep on trying he thought there and then.

This morning he wanted to know when the next attempt will be. He really wants to watch again.

Show him this, it never gets old:

SB

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 13:49 - Mar 5 with 614 viewsStokieBlue

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 09:21 - Mar 5 by Nthsuffolkblue

SpaceX have successfully landed 2 Falcon 9's on boats in the last 12 hours, that's 75 successful landings now and this latest one has landed 8 times now and been reused.

SB

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 14:04 - Mar 5 with 610 viewsArnoldMoorhen

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:26 - Mar 4 by StokieBlue

SB

Am I the only one who is thinking:

We didn't used to have holes in the Ozone Layer until we started shooting all those sharp pointy things up at it?

Eh?
SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 14:09 - Mar 5 with 603 viewsArnoldMoorhen

SpaceX Starship SN10 launch happening very soon on 10:59 - Mar 4 by StokieBlue

SB

You are aware that the "My big tall thing is bigger than your big tall thing" size comparison photo was posted at the top of the page, right?

I mean, come on, the whole Space Race "I'm going to stick my flagpole into the Moon good and proper" thing was just a tiny bit cock-wavy, no?

Blast off!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024