Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's just utterly depressing watching us 10:05 - Feb 2 with 34632 viewsitfcjoe

I sat until the bitter end to see the players and management team leave the pitch, and PR is becoming a depressing place again - like it has been for a while.

I just can't workout how we can't get a team of talented footballers at this level playing above themselves and the sum of their parts.

It goes back to the rotation for me, of styles, shapes and personnel - we just don't look anything close to where we should be and it is no surprise the well organised teams at the top of this league make us look distinctly second best.

I was fairly positive and a bit bullish after we'd finally settled on something and seemed to be clicking, but it has come unstuck and hard to see it turning back round. We'll do enough to stay in the top 6, but no one will fear us in the play offs.

The club is in my blood, and is my life - I can't give up on it even if I wanted to, but it is so frustrating, seeing the mistakes being made and us continuously go down the wrong path.

Why can't Evans see this? What is he waiting for or doing here?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:13 - Feb 2 with 9684 viewsMrTown

God, if my emotions, sentiment or feelings could be replicated by any singular post, this is it right here.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:18 - Feb 2 with 9643 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Not sure what Evans can do now, he's given Lambert that 5 year contract.

I agree that the lack of an obvious system or style of play is an issue, and if we did get promoted I wouldn't be looking forward to next season.

Technical players like Bishop, Mizouni, Dobra and Dozzel can't get close to a first team start. That's a worry.

Also seems like the club is run on a skeleton staff of inexperienced people.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:21 - Feb 2 with 9618 viewsHerbivore

Truth is, Joe, in our recent good run we managed to beat Accrington and Lincoln at PR when both are bottom half and don't travel well, and we won at Tranmere who will likely be a League 2 side again in 6 months' time. I feared our improvement was built on foundations of sand and sadly that looks to be the case. The last two games were as bad as I can remember, certainly as poor as we were under Hurst. The sad thing is there's clearly a good amount of talent in the squad but where other sides have spent the season building a system and style of play, we've only really had any consistency in the past 7 games. Lambert has totally ballsed this season up.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 10:24]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:23 - Feb 2 with 9605 viewsBrixtonBlue

Maybe Lambert needs a tactician to come in and help him? What exactly does Stuart Taylor do?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:24 - Feb 2 with 9600 viewsKieran_Knows

I’ve only ever left 2 games of football, and both have been against Peterborough (the 7-1, and yesterday). An absolute sh*t show and the players, management and hierarchy should be ashamed.

As I saw you wrote on twitter yesterday, 5 more years of this sh*t. Wake me up when it’s over.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:24 - Feb 2 with 9579 viewsHerbivore

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:23 - Feb 2 by BrixtonBlue

Maybe Lambert needs a tactician to come in and help him? What exactly does Stuart Taylor do?

I think Lambert just needs to go, to be honest. He's clearly not a very good football manager. He's not done well anywhere in a very long time.

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:24 - Feb 2 with 9586 viewsITFC_Forever

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:21 - Feb 2 by Herbivore

Truth is, Joe, in our recent good run we managed to beat Accrington and Lincoln at PR when both are bottom half and don't travel well, and we won at Tranmere who will likely be a League 2 side again in 6 months' time. I feared our improvement was built on foundations of sand and sadly that looks to be the case. The last two games were as bad as I can remember, certainly as poor as we were under Hurst. The sad thing is there's clearly a good amount of talent in the squad but where other sides have spent the season building a system and style of play, we've only really had any consistency in the past 7 games. Lambert has totally ballsed this season up.

Agreed.

(And it was Joe, not Texters)

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:25 - Feb 2 with 9570 viewsHerbivore

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:24 - Feb 2 by ITFC_Forever

Agreed.

(And it was Joe, not Texters)

Yes, realised that and edited it!

Login to get fewer ads

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:28 - Feb 2 with 9566 viewsChrisd

Agree with a lot of your sentiments Joe (usually do). We play football in the wrong areas and have done so for some time, our passing is so laboured too. We could pass it out from the back and it takes us the whole 90 minutes to work it up to the opponent's area. Well that's what it feels like. Peterborough were quick and incisive at times, but equally they would mix this up cleverly. How many times were we beaten by the one, long ball? A lot. We have defenders that don't communicate and don't like heading the ball. I looked at us and to me we look like a side that doesn't know when to pass or when to knock it long. We looked a mess and clueless. I still stand by the fact that our squad has found it's level, although we do have a few talented individuals, we aren't good enough collectively to make the top 6. We just seem a club that just doesn't learn from our mistakes, both on and off the pitch and that starts from the leadership at the very top and has done for some time now.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:29 - Feb 2 with 9550 viewsstrikalite

Don't know where to start and I haven't got the time right now to cover everything I'd like to, but you know what, I don't think it's even down to effort, I just think we have a few players out there simply not good enough, anyone who has been watching the game for long enough (and I know who they are on here that's for sure) will highlight this, you can see it, but as supporters what can we do? Our support is just too good to walk away, that's the bit that hurts, we're stuck with this...players that haven't even got a good touch you know, the bloody basics..
It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:31 - Feb 2 with 9512 viewstextbackup

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:23 - Feb 2 by BrixtonBlue

argue with 4th official and get booked is his job role

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:33 - Feb 2 with 9508 viewstractorboy1978

You can already predict the messages at the end of the season - "it's tough to bounce straight back" and "Leeds and Sheffied United spent several seasons down here" etc. The club is dying and expectations seem to get eroded season on season. We should be dominating this league and we were dominating this league (albeit not fantastic performances). The last 3 months have been disastrous. We are 4th but teams below us all have at least one game in hand. If we don't go up it is a massive, inexcusable failure, simple as that.
It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:35 - Feb 2 with 9479 viewstextbackup

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:25 - Feb 2 by Herbivore

Yes, realised that and edited it!

not enough swearing for my posts, I don't have the ability to post without swearing

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:39 - Feb 2 with 9450 viewsGarv

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:21 - Feb 2 by Herbivore

'I feared our improvement was built on foundations of sand'

Poor Tranmere, they're not going to live that down.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:47 - Feb 2 with 9384 viewstextbackup

have we got too many luxury players, and not enough grafters/brave men to stick heads in where it hurts?

if I had to pick 5 players from that team to say they are 100% committed to the cause here I could pick 3 - wolf, downes, norwood (when actually on the pitch)

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:53 - Feb 2 with 9340 viewscbower

In itself, rotation of 2 or 3 players ( I know it was often more) is not a problem for me. Niggles, knocks and dips in form make some rotation necessary. What has really messed us up, however, has been the complete changes in formation and set up. We have pretty much tried them all this season. The latest jargon is "patterns of play". Until recently, we haven't had one. Whilst at Rotherham we lined up the same, we were not good enough to play that pattern and allowed their physicality to dictate our game. Once Garbutt departed yesterday, the balance disappeared and without Huws ( I know he was poor midweek), our midfield was not up to the challenge either. The real lack of a settled formation in which players are well drilled despite the odd changes in personel is Lambert's biggest failing and will likely see us still in L1 come the end of the season.

bluescouser

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:57 - Feb 2 with 9323 viewsSuperfrans

The bit that depresses me most is our utter inability to raise ourselves for big matches - promotion clashes, TV games, derbies. We have been flat for these types of games for more than a decade now, under various different managers. We always look as if we aren’t taking these games as seriously as our opponents, we just so rarely come out battling. I just don’t get it,

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:00 - Feb 2 with 9284 viewstextbackup

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:57 - Feb 2 by Superfrans

The bit that depresses me most is our utter inability to raise ourselves for big matches - promotion clashes, TV games, derbies. We have been flat for these types of games for more than a decade now, under various different managers. We always look as if we aren’t taking these games as seriously as our opponents, we just so rarely come out battling. I just don’t get it,

different managers
many different players

same captain.... if he's sulking because he doesn't like something how does he drive the troops on? he cant. obviously not all on him, but he's the consistent element with what you've mentioned

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:01 - Feb 2 with 9275 viewsCoco

We have an owner and a manager who appear to be utterly directionless. The owner tells us quite bizarrely that he once thought a physical direct approach was the answer and now it’s technical. The manager once saw Pep splitting the defence and Klopp playing three off a front man but now quite fancies Wilder’s Sheff United and his overlapping defenders.

They both preach identity but have no idea what to do, which results in the muddled confusion on the pitch. It really isn’t rocket science but Paul seems intent on trying to make is seem like it is.

We need a man who really knows what he want and to be honest I thought Lambert would be that man but he is surprisingly reactive. Men like Warburton and Warnock play their way and know then players who can implement it.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:02 - Feb 2 with 9272 viewspointofblue

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:53 - Feb 2 by cbower

In itself, rotation of 2 or 3 players ( I know it was often more) is not a problem for me. Niggles, knocks and dips in form make some rotation necessary. What has really messed us up, however, has been the complete changes in formation and set up. We have pretty much tried them all this season. The latest jargon is "patterns of play". Until recently, we haven't had one. Whilst at Rotherham we lined up the same, we were not good enough to play that pattern and allowed their physicality to dictate our game. Once Garbutt departed yesterday, the balance disappeared and without Huws ( I know he was poor midweek), our midfield was not up to the challenge either. The real lack of a settled formation in which players are well drilled despite the odd changes in personel is Lambert's biggest failing and will likely see us still in L1 come the end of the season.

I think the big moment of the match was Garbutt going off. It was pretty equal, perhaps we were even a touch more in control, before his injury but then the tide swung towards them and never returned to us. We were a shambles, a disgrace, humiliated and I cannot see how any team who plays a huge game like that will ever get promoted.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:03 - Feb 2 with 9268 viewsSuperfrans

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:47 - Feb 2 by textbackup

have we got too many luxury players, and not enough grafters/brave men to stick heads in where it hurts?

if I had to pick 5 players from that team to say they are 100% committed to the cause here I could pick 3 - wolf, downes, norwood (when actually on the pitch)

I agree, I have wondered this myself. Do our players go onto the pitch thinking we have enough quality to win out, we just need to let the game take its course. Too little battling spirit, fight etc,

I couldn’t understand why, after 30 mins yesterday, when it became clear that you’d have to decapitate an opponent with a sword before the referee would get out any yellow cards we didn’t start taking the game to Posh, to be more physical. We have the players. You’re not telling me Wilson, Chambers, Skuse etc can’t look after themselves, not to mention Norwood, Downes etc.

Lambert understands this side of the game. why isn’t his team showing it?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:04 - Feb 2 with 9253 viewsbadadski

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 10:57 - Feb 2 by Superfrans

you can raise your game but not your level or ability. I believe that we are playing at our level, we have a few talented youngsters and few good individuals but that is it. Our squad has been ageing and stagnating for a long time, replacements have not come in for positions we desperately needed and still do to this day.

If you can be realistic with your expectations then I find it doesn’t hurt so much. We will win more games as have an easy run in but not expecting us to do much against teams like Rotheram of peterborough with the squad we have.
It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:07 - Feb 2 with 9244 viewspointofblue

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:03 - Feb 2 by Superfrans

I agree, I have wondered this myself. Do our players go onto the pitch thinking we have enough quality to win out, we just need to let the game take its course. Too little battling spirit, fight etc,

I couldn’t understand why, after 30 mins yesterday, when it became clear that you’d have to decapitate an opponent with a sword before the referee would get out any yellow cards we didn’t start taking the game to Posh, to be more physical. We have the players. You’re not telling me Wilson, Chambers, Skuse etc can’t look after themselves, not to mention Norwood, Downes etc.

Lambert understands this side of the game. why isn’t his team showing it?

To be fair PETERBOROUGH players needed to decapitate an opponent before having a foul given against them. We had to simply sneeze on them for a free kick to be given against us. The ref was abysmal and always has been.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:07 - Feb 2 with 9245 viewsSuperfrans

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:00 - Feb 2 by textbackup

different managers
many different players

same captain.... if he's sulking because he doesn't like something how does he drive the troops on? he cant. obviously not all on him, but he's the consistent element with what you've mentioned

I don’t think we can point the finger *just* at Chambers. For a start this goes back before him. And we have no other leaders on the pitch.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 11:10]

It's just utterly depressing watching us on 11:09 - Feb 2 with 9227 viewsSomethingBlue

Can barely bring myself to watch the highlights so can only imagine what it was like being there. Also, I keep having to remind myself that this is right up there with the worst results in my 30 years as a fan — such is the extent that endless disappointment and incompetence have become the norm.

I agree with you that we will make the play-offs; after that the only hope, at this point, is that we have learned the lessons from these games against the better sides. But given we have hardly learned a single lesson in a dozen years I am not holding my breath.

I was nervous about this season but these last two games make me deeply worried. What are we to do, though? The owner and manager aren't going to change this season, and we simply *have* to somehow go up in the next four months. Think it can only be unstinting support inside the stadium til then; and afterwards the inquest, which will at current rate be a messy one. I say it all the time but the stakes are so high here.
[Post edited 2 Feb 2020 11:11]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024