Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The public gets what the public wants 10:35 - Apr 29 with 6151 viewsGlasgowBlue

Have we reached peak Trump in this country with an electorate not giving a flying fcuk about the morals of it's leader?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The public gets what the public wants on 12:27 - Apr 29 with 1266 viewsSpruceMoose

I think the UK has been riding the crest of a wave made of ignorance, nastiness and pettiness for a while now to be honest.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

The public gets what the public wants on 12:32 - Apr 29 with 1231 viewsHerbivore

The public gets what the public wants on 12:27 - Apr 29 by SpruceMoose

I think the UK has been riding the crest of a wave made of ignorance, nastiness and pettiness for a while now to be honest.

Indeed. The reaction to all of this from those who vote Tory seems to be along the lines of "I know he's a despicable human being, that's why I like him". Really quite troubling stuff.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The public gets what the public wants on 12:35 - Apr 29 with 1221 viewsSpruceMoose

The public gets what the public wants on 12:32 - Apr 29 by Herbivore

Indeed. The reaction to all of this from those who vote Tory seems to be along the lines of "I know he's a despicable human being, that's why I like him". Really quite troubling stuff.

They have very real concerns though. It's just happens to be that their very real concerns are that they can't be as awful as they'd like to be.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

The public gets what the public wants on 12:37 - Apr 29 with 1214 viewsHerbivore

The public gets what the public wants on 12:35 - Apr 29 by SpruceMoose

They have very real concerns though. It's just happens to be that their very real concerns are that they can't be as awful as they'd like to be.

They can now though, this government is going to uphold the right to free speech (whilst silencing any group that disagrees with them).

The public gets what the public wants on 12:38 - Apr 29 with 1211 viewsmonytowbray

The reinvention of TWTD history continues.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

The public gets what the public wants on 12:38 - Apr 29 with 1210 viewsSpruceMoose

The public gets what the public wants on 12:37 - Apr 29 by Herbivore

They can now though, this government is going to uphold the right to free speech (whilst silencing any group that disagrees with them).

The bullies win again.

The public gets what the public wants on 12:44 - Apr 29 with 1194 viewsGlasgowBlue

The public gets what the public wants on 12:38 - Apr 29 by SpruceMoose

The bullies win again.

I wonder if Bully will ever come back to TWTD.

Iron Lion Zion

The public gets what the public wants on 12:48 - Apr 29 with 1180 viewsHARRY10

The public gets what the public wants on 12:26 - Apr 29 by GlasgowBlue

You make two very good points.

1. That the public thinks all politicians are liars.
We've had expenses scandals, cash for honours, Tobacco advertising in Formula One, Mandelson's 2 (or was it 3) resignations etc which happened under a Labour government. The public may conclude that kicking out the Tories would only result in another dishonest bunch taking over. So stick with what we have. At least the pubs are reopening and the Euros start in a couple of months.

2. A lot of people like his character
Even before he became PM people knew he was a serial adulterer, helped his mate get a journalist beat up ETC. It was priced in. So when Johnson is exposed as a liar, a nation rolls it's eyes.

I think with the No 10 refurb, people aren't particularly bothered. We see lavish décor in the White House, Macron in The Élysée Palace and our PM in a pokey flat above the office. It's not something that is cutting through.

It needs something that the public can look at as being completely out of touch. So when we had the expenses scandal and there was wholesale mortgage fraud, what really pissed people off was a duckhouse and somebody claiming to clean their moat.

More az licking weasel words

The flat in number 11 is not pokey, it has four bedrooms - and Chequers is not pokey either.

Johnson was elected in 2019 because he blatantly lied that he would sort out brexit. Arlene Foster has been forced out because of the consequences of believing Johnsons lies.

For all the talk of next Thursdays election perhaps we could be told if Johnson will be attending this years DUP conference to justify his promises (lies). I am sure he will go down a bomb.

And it will not be voters who decide Johnsons fate. it will be the due process of the law. Which has already begun.

And I wonder if the next incumbent of number 11 will want to put up with a decor resembling a Wetherspoons take on a 19th century opium den/brothel

The Brown Envelope, an apt pub name that
Login to get fewer ads

The public gets what the public wants on 12:52 - Apr 29 with 1173 viewsGlasgowBlue

The public gets what the public wants on 12:48 - Apr 29 by HARRY10

More az licking weasel words

The flat in number 11 is not pokey, it has four bedrooms - and Chequers is not pokey either.

Johnson was elected in 2019 because he blatantly lied that he would sort out brexit. Arlene Foster has been forced out because of the consequences of believing Johnsons lies.

For all the talk of next Thursdays election perhaps we could be told if Johnson will be attending this years DUP conference to justify his promises (lies). I am sure he will go down a bomb.

And it will not be voters who decide Johnsons fate. it will be the due process of the law. Which has already begun.

And I wonder if the next incumbent of number 11 will want to put up with a decor resembling a Wetherspoons take on a 19th century opium den/brothel

The Brown Envelope, an apt pub name that

I'm not giving my critique on the PM's living quarters. I'm saying it as Joe Bloggs sees it and why the decor issue isn't cutting through in my opinion.

The flat above No 11 is "pokey" compared to the grandeur of the White House or the Elysee Palace. People aren't getting excited at Johnson getting it refurbished.

You seem to want to shoot the messenger.

Iron Lion Zion

The public gets what the public wants on 13:03 - Apr 29 with 1154 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

We've had expenses scandals, cash for honours, Tobacco advertising in Formula One, Mandelson's 2 (or was it 3) resignations etc which happened under a Labour government. The public may conclude that kicking out the Tories would only result in another dishonest bunch taking over. So stick with what we have. At least the pubs are reopening and the Euros start in a couple of months.

Even before he became PM people knew he was a serial adulterer, helped his mate get a journalist beat up ETC. It was priced in. So when Johnson is exposed as a liar, a nation rolls it's eyes.

I think with the No 10 refurb, people aren't particularly bothered. We see lavish décor in the White House, Macron in The Élysée Palace and our PM in a pokey flat above the office. It's not something that is cutting through.

It needs something that the public can look at as being completely out of touch. So when we had the expenses scandal and there was wholesale mortgage fraud, what really pissed people off was a duckhouse and somebody claiming to clean their moat.

Seriously?

"in a pokey flat above the office."

As has been mentioned, the flat and Chequers are grace and favour accommodation provided for the PM by us.

"It needs something that the public can look at as being completely out of touch."

£200,000 to redecorate? That's not out of touch?

Even £30,000 (the annual sum provided) is approximately 4 year's worth of Universal Credit payments to a couple. That's to live off, not hand to your interior designer friend as a down payment on a bathroom re-vamp.

Oh and £58,000 will get you a perfectly adequate 3 bedroomed house in the Hartlepool area.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

The public gets what the public wants on 13:14 - Apr 29 with 1133 viewsSpruceMoose

The public gets what the public wants on 13:03 - Apr 29 by You_Bloo_Right

Seriously?

As has been mentioned, the flat and Chequers are grace and favour accommodation provided for the PM by us.

"It needs something that the public can look at as being completely out of touch."

Even £30,000 (the annual sum provided) is approximately 4 year's worth of Universal Credit payments to a couple. That's to live off, not hand to your interior designer friend as a down payment on a bathroom re-vamp.

Oh and £58,000 will get you a perfectly adequate 3 bedroomed house in the Hartlepool area.

For many voters money spent on fancy decorations are fine. The point at which it becomes too much is when money is used to feed poor inner city children. Apparently.

The public gets what the public wants on 13:14 - Apr 29 with 1123 viewslowhouseblue

this is an interesting take on it all:

https://unherd.com/2021/04/who-cares-about-westminster-gossip/

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

The public gets what the public wants on 13:23 - Apr 29 with 1116 viewsGlasgowBlue

The public gets what the public wants on 13:03 - Apr 29 by You_Bloo_Right

Seriously?

You know about Chequers and I know about Chequers. I'd imagine very few people who don't follow politics know about Chequers.

I'm simply saying it as I see it. To Joe Bloggs, the leader of our country lives in a pokey little flat above his office.

Iron Lion Zion

The public gets what the public wants on 13:32 - Apr 29 with 1086 viewsPinewoodblue

We will know in a weeks time what the public wants, or at least those who bother to vote.

No idea as far as national assemblies go but can not see any significant swing to the left in local government or mayoral elections. If anything the attack by Starmer over who paid for what is more likely to persuade older conservative voters to go out and vote.

Policies win elections not personal attack on someone’s integrity.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The public gets what the public wants on 13:36 - Apr 29 with 1077 viewsSpruceMoose

The public gets what the public wants on 13:23 - Apr 29 by GlasgowBlue

You know about Chequers and I know about Chequers. I'd imagine very few people who don't follow politics know about Chequers.

I'm simply saying it as I see it. To Joe Bloggs, the leader of our country lives in a pokey little flat above his office.

"To Joe Bloggs, the leader of our country lives in a pokey little flat above his office."

Yeah... I'm not buying that sorry GB. Britain is all about that upper class pageantry and privilege . There's no way the public think that the Prime Minister is living above a bookies and cycling to the organic green market to by his veg like some kind of enlightened Scandinavian.

I think it's more accurate to say that Joe Bloggs just doesn't care that the leader of the country is a massive tosser - because they've been encouraged to think that the Conservatives are their team, a team they should support at all costs in order to keep the crazies out, because the crazy libs want to cuddle all those wasters, shirkers, lay abouts, foreigners, pervs, weirdos, environmentalists or anyone else they think is responsible for the country being a bit crap.

Honestly, if the public were as good at holding those in power to account for their actual actions as they are at victimising the innocent people struggling at the bottom of the ladder for their imagined crimes then the country would be in a far better shape.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 13:41]

The public gets what the public wants on 13:37 - Apr 29 with 1072 viewsHARRY10

The public gets what the public wants on 13:23 - Apr 29 by GlasgowBlue

I doubt most would regard a 4 bed flat as 'pokey' , and given the words you recently posted up you would be ill advised, were you ever in court, to use the words

"I'm simply saying it as I see it"

as any form of defence
The public gets what the public wants on 14:03 - Apr 29 with 1025 viewsGlasgowBlue

The public gets what the public wants on 13:36 - Apr 29 by SpruceMoose

"To Joe Bloggs, the leader of our country lives in a pokey little flat above his office."

Yeah... I'm not buying that sorry GB. Britain is all about that upper class pageantry and privilege . There's no way the public think that the Prime Minister is living above a bookies and cycling to the organic green market to by his veg like some kind of enlightened Scandinavian.

I think it's more accurate to say that Joe Bloggs just doesn't care that the leader of the country is a massive tosser - because they've been encouraged to think that the Conservatives are their team, a team they should support at all costs in order to keep the crazies out, because the crazy libs want to cuddle all those wasters, shirkers, lay abouts, foreigners, pervs, weirdos, environmentalists or anyone else they think is responsible for the country being a bit crap.

Honestly, if the public were as good at holding those in power to account for their actual actions as they are at victimising the innocent people struggling at the bottom of the ladder for their imagined crimes then the country would be in a far better shape.

You may well be right. Hence I asked in my op "Have we reached peak Trump in this country with an electorate not giving a flying fcuk about the morals of it's leader?"

I'd like to think that we haven't reached that point and that there is something that will cut through the public. Redecorating the flat isn't that.

If the Tories do well in next week's local elections and take Hartlepool from Labour in the by election then we shall have to conclude that twitter and places like this are not representative of the general public.

Iron Lion Zion

The public gets what the public wants on 14:07 - Apr 29 with 1019 viewsfooters

The public gets what the public wants on 13:36 - Apr 29 by SpruceMoose

You've basically just quoted the famous Kelvin Mackenzie line. When we've had our media run by people like this for decades, it's no wonder the general public hold such attitudes and don't bother with fact-checking anything.

"You just don't understand the readers, do you, eh? He's the bloke you see in the pub, a right old fascist, wants to send the w*gs back, buy his poxy council house, he's afraid of the unions, afraid of the Russians, hates the queers and the weirdos and drug dealers. He doesn't want to hear about that stuff (serious news)."

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

The public gets what the public wants on 14:13 - Apr 29 with 1008 viewsHerbivore

The public gets what the public wants on 13:32 - Apr 29 by Pinewoodblue

We will know in a weeks time what the public wants, or at least those who bother to vote.

No idea as far as national assemblies go but can not see any significant swing to the left in local government or mayoral elections. If anything the attack by Starmer over who paid for what is more likely to persuade older conservative voters to go out and vote.

Policies win elections not personal attack on someone’s integrity.

Policies rarely win elections. The Tories won a landslide on a manifesto that you could write on two sides of A4. Simple slogans and managing public perceptions wins elections.

The public gets what the public wants on 14:18 - Apr 29 with 987 viewsSpruceMoose

The public gets what the public wants on 14:03 - Apr 29 by GlasgowBlue

You may well be right. Hence I asked in my op "Have we reached peak Trump in this country with an electorate not giving a flying fcuk about the morals of it's leader?"

I'd like to think that we haven't reached that point and that there is something that will cut through the public. Redecorating the flat isn't that.

If the Tories do well in next week's local elections and take Hartlepool from Labour in the by election then we shall have to conclude that twitter and places like this are not representative of the general public.

Oh I already assume that Twitter and places like this aren't representative of the general public. I know enough of the general public to appreciate that already! And even if I didn't, we only have to look at recent elections and referendums for confirmation.

Redecorating a flat might not be that 'thing', but nor was the comment about letting bodies pile up in the street after 127K deaths. That's why I think it's safe to say that old Boris could stand in Trafalgar Square and shoot someone and get away with it. Enough of the public are already at the stage you're worried about them reaching IMO. Nothing is going to be that 'Thing'. Look at what Trump did, and continues to do. All of it is entirely justified by his supporters.

I think the US has been four or five years ahead of the UK in terms of misdirected public outrage leading to apathy, and it took Trump to light a fire under the arses of many liberals and progressives to right the ship, but the UK is well down the same path that lead to Trump (albeit possibly a less extreme one) at this point.

Hopefully you can divert course earlier than the US did, and get round to electing a pragmatic, considerate leader who is at least prepared to engage with progressive views before the doo doo really hits the fan.

But I'm not too optimistic about that to be honest.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 14:23]

The public gets what the public wants on 14:23 - Apr 29 with 972 viewsWeekender

The public gets what the public wants on 10:41 - Apr 29 by StokieBlue

It's shameful stuff really.

The public aren't going to vote him out it seems but they might not even get the chance depending on whether he lied in parliament yesterday.

Starmer attacked fairly heavily on sleaze so that somewhat goes against those saying he isn't challenging the Tories, Boris just seems to be able to do no wrong in the eyes of some.

SB

James O'Brien tweeted this the other day and it rung true with me:
The main question remains the same. Just how much political armour can Johnson forge from the public’s psychological need to deny the observable reality of his Brexit?

I think the deeply partisan positions of Brexit still have people in 'team Leave' which in many people's eyes is team Johnson.

Poll: What's your HONEST opinion of nodge fans?
Blog: [Blog] The Curse of the Modern Football Fan.

The public gets what the public wants on 14:23 - Apr 29 with 972 viewsHerbivore

The public gets what the public wants on 14:18 - Apr 29 by SpruceMoose

Oh I already assume that Twitter and places like this aren't representative of the general public. I know enough of the general public to appreciate that already! And even if I didn't, we only have to look at recent elections and referendums for confirmation.

Redecorating a flat might not be that 'thing', but nor was the comment about letting bodies pile up in the street after 127K deaths. That's why I think it's safe to say that old Boris could stand in Trafalgar Square and shoot someone and get away with it. Enough of the public are already at the stage you're worried about them reaching IMO. Nothing is going to be that 'Thing'. Look at what Trump did, and continues to do. All of it is entirely justified by his supporters.

I think the US has been four or five years ahead of the UK in terms of misdirected public outrage leading to apathy, and it took Trump to light a fire under the arses of many liberals and progressives to right the ship, but the UK is well down the same path that lead to Trump (albeit possibly a less extreme one) at this point.

Hopefully you can divert course earlier than the US did, and get round to electing a pragmatic, considerate leader who is at least prepared to engage with progressive views before the doo doo really hits the fan.

I'm not optimistic either. The jilted Corbynites are more concerned with getting their pound of flesh out of Keir Starmer than they are with getting the Tories out of power.

The UK is not necessarily a right wing country, not massively, but we end up with right wing governments most of the time because the right leaning voters all coalesce around the Tories. Meanwhile the centre and left of centre is split between Labour, the Lib Dems, the Greens, and more recently the SNP as well. Add their vote share together and it's greater than the share that the Tories get, but our antiquated voting system means we end up with the Tories in power with a huge majority when the reality is that the majority finds them loathsome for the most part. The majority just can't get its sh!t together to actually shift them out of power.

The public gets what the public wants on 14:25 - Apr 29 with 958 viewsHerbivore

The public gets what the public wants on 14:23 - Apr 29 by Weekender

James O'Brien tweeted this the other day and it rung true with me:
The main question remains the same. Just how much political armour can Johnson forge from the public’s psychological need to deny the observable reality of his Brexit?

I think the deeply partisan positions of Brexit still have people in 'team Leave' which in many people's eyes is team Johnson.

This plays a big part in it. He's their hero for delivering Brexit and they are still so emotionally attached to Brexit that turning on Johnson is almost impossible. I would hope this effect will fade over time now that we've actually left but who knows, the British public rarely fails to disappoint.

The public gets what the public wants on 14:27 - Apr 29 with 954 viewsGlasgowBlue

The public gets what the public wants on 14:18 - Apr 29 by SpruceMoose

I don't think that lessons are being learned over Trump. As Lowhouse said earlier, people jumping on every small thing and screaming lies and sleaze will anesthetize the public to it.

It's a tactic that allowed trump to own the narrative of fake news for several years.

Find something big, make sure it will resonate with the general public and go heavy on it.

Iron Lion Zion

The public gets what the public wants on 14:33 - Apr 29 with 944 viewsSpruceMoose

The public gets what the public wants on 14:23 - Apr 29 by Herbivore

I'm not optimistic either. The jilted Corbynites are more concerned with getting their pound of flesh out of Keir Starmer than they are with getting the Tories out of power.

The UK is not necessarily a right wing country, not massively, but we end up with right wing governments most of the time because the right leaning voters all coalesce around the Tories. Meanwhile the centre and left of centre is split between Labour, the Lib Dems, the Greens, and more recently the SNP as well. Add their vote share together and it's greater than the share that the Tories get, but our antiquated voting system means we end up with the Tories in power with a huge majority when the reality is that the majority finds them loathsome for the most part. The majority just can't get its sh!t together to actually shift them out of power.

I understand the passion behind not wanting to do the same old thing we've been doing for decades and expecting a different result. I genuinely do. Both Biden and Starmer are so deeply, thoroughly mundane and uninspiring to me. But...

I also don't believe we are living in normal times. Given the environmental situation around us I'd say there's an extremely good chance we are living in the beginning of the end times in fact.

We have maniacs in charge. Johnson, Trump, Bolsonaro, Le Pen looks a real possibility. There are homophobes in Poland and anti-democratic anti-Semites in Hungary. The list could go on. They're leading us off a cliff. That is the immediate cause for concern. We need to stem the bleeding. Pump the brakes and worry about who will reverse the car later.

I believed this about the US election. The progressive left needed to remove the immediate threat, and then work to put pressure on a more sane and fundamentally decent leader to get their policies implemented. Which is exactly what they've done.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 14:33]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024