Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Portman road upgrades 07:52 - May 6 with 5973 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Folllwing the thread about capacity, what realistic upgrades do people expect (or want) to see this summer? My guess would be something along the lines of

Video scoreboard between south and cobbold
Electronic advertising boards (at least on cobbold stand side for tv cameras to pick up)
CONTACTLESS PAYMENT
General lick of paint
Some different food options (albeit not worlds apart from what we have now)
Potentially an improved dug out area although that might involve moving ST holders which doesn’t seem on the cards

Wonder what the future of the fan zone is until the new community hub is built?
Portman road upgrades on 09:44 - May 6 with 2368 viewshoppy

Portman road upgrades on 08:43 - May 6 by Keno

Naturists enclosure in the Churchmans

It seems to be where all the knobs hang out anyway

Oi

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Portman road upgrades on 09:51 - May 6 with 2345 viewsstjohnsblue

Get Adnams back in all bars - remove Green King and keep the overstocks of beer cool. It only takes a few beers bought for the fridges to run out then we’re straight onto room temp fizzy nonsense 👍
Portman road upgrades on 09:53 - May 6 with 2334 viewschrismakin

Portman road upgrades on 09:05 - May 6 by hype313

I'd like to think the new owners would look in more depth and detail in how to make it more attractive, affordable etc and to be fair they do have experience in the whole match day event, and whilst I'm keen on what they do, the whole mindset of fans will have to change from having a couple of beers in the Greyhound before a stroll down to the ground at 2.50.

Making it far more child friendly would be a bonus, get down there for 12, let the kids run riot, enjoy a few beers and burger and the wife can go to a spa for the afternoon, win win.

Obviously January/Feb might be a little harder to attract people outside...

Not a bad idea, create a spa within the grounds for the wives to go to,. another revenue stream.... ;)

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Portman road upgrades on 09:57 - May 6 with 2315 viewsKeno

Portman road upgrades on 09:44 - May 6 by hoppy

Oi

hehe!!

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Portman road upgrades on 10:00 - May 6 with 2307 viewschrismakin

There was something within one of Phils stories that mentioned painting had begun and the scoreboard was being looked at...

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Portman road upgrades on 10:15 - May 6 with 2269 viewsPJH

Portman road upgrades on 10:00 - May 6 by chrismakin

There was something within one of Phils stories that mentioned painting had begun and the scoreboard was being looked at...

I expect the scoreboard said 0-0.
Portman road upgrades on 10:19 - May 6 with 2253 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Portman road upgrades on 10:15 - May 6 by PJH

Ours is just a board.
Portman road upgrades on 10:20 - May 6 with 2256 viewsPhilTWTD

Portman road upgrades on 10:00 - May 6 by chrismakin

Not quite. I said someone was inspecting the paintwork on the underside of the North Stand when I went to the U23s game last week. I speculated it would be ahead of painting.
Login to get fewer ads

Portman road upgrades on 10:23 - May 6 with 2239 viewschrismakin

Portman road upgrades on 10:20 - May 6 by PhilTWTD

Not quite. I said someone was inspecting the paintwork on the underside of the North Stand when I went to the U23s game last week. I speculated it would be ahead of painting.

ah i see, hopefully something that is to be started on soon

Portman road upgrades on 10:28 - May 6 with 2208 viewshoppy

Portman road upgrades on 10:15 - May 6 by PJH

Is that just going to be painted on?

Portman road upgrades on 10:42 - May 6 with 2174 viewsStewart27

To make the North Stand bar look less of an 80s social club with a tv run off a rooftop aerial.
Portman road upgrades on 10:48 - May 6 with 2162 viewsbrazil1982

1. Turn down the music.
2. No music after we've scored please. I hate it, never get to hear the crowd roar now.
3. Large screens are a terrible distraction both post and during the match. You can't help but glance at the adverts through the match. I hate them.
4. Get the Hull Pie in.
Portman road upgrades on 11:09 - May 6 with 2128 viewsBinner

A layer of iron filings in the linings of the match balls and electro-magnets behind each goal (which can be switched off at the end we are defending).
[Post edited 6 May 2021 11:11]

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Portman road upgrades on 14:32 - May 6 with 2033 viewsBowls1e

Coming season: Good clean, touch up areas that need it, new dugouts, improved changing rooms, planning permission & architect drawings for a new Cobbold Stand for a 5 year stadium plan.

Next season: Announce plan to fully replace Cobbold Stand with identical stand to North Stand with executive boxes. Works to also incorporate replacing roof/renovate the existing Pioneer Stand with improved player tunnel entrance & big screen above.

Season after: Carry out works at appropriate time & refresh other areas of the ground to bring PR up to modern day elite stadium standards.
Portman road upgrades on 15:52 - May 6 with 1995 viewsMatt_Netherlands

Portman road upgrades on 14:32 - May 6 by Bowls1e

Coming season: Good clean, touch up areas that need it, new dugouts, improved changing rooms, planning permission & architect drawings for a new Cobbold Stand for a 5 year stadium plan.

Next season: Announce plan to fully replace Cobbold Stand with identical stand to North Stand with executive boxes. Works to also incorporate replacing roof/renovate the existing Pioneer Stand with improved player tunnel entrance & big screen above.

Season after: Carry out works at appropriate time & refresh other areas of the ground to bring PR up to modern day elite stadium standards.

As much as I would love a fancy new stand, that didn’t work out too well for us last time around....

Personally I wouldn’t pick up a shovel until we’re an established championship club pushing for the play offs at least.
[Post edited 6 May 2021 15:52]
Portman road upgrades on 15:55 - May 6 with 1988 viewshoppy

Any idea when work will start on the Jay Tabb statue?

Portman road upgrades on 16:00 - May 6 with 1976 viewslongtimefan

Portman road upgrades on 15:52 - May 6 by Matt_Netherlands

As much as I would love a fancy new stand, that didn’t work out too well for us last time around....

Personally I wouldn’t pick up a shovel until we’re an established championship club pushing for the play offs at least.
[Post edited 6 May 2021 15:52]

“As much as I would love a fancy new stand, that didn’t work out too well for us last time around....”

Or the time before that ....
Portman road upgrades on 16:12 - May 6 with 1945 viewshype313

Portman road upgrades on 15:55 - May 6 by hoppy

It's already been done, just outside Barclays Bank.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Portman road upgrades on 16:15 - May 6 with 1940 viewsBinner

Portman road upgrades on 15:55 - May 6 by hoppy

They should get on to Tony Hart's estate... they may have an old Morph knocking about. Would be almost life size.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Portman road upgrades on 16:22 - May 6 with 1928 viewsshady

Some sun tracking mirrors on the roofs to warm up the frost-prone corners.
Wouldn't cost much and may prevent a winter postponement
Portman road upgrades on 17:08 - May 6 with 1887 viewsThe_Major

It'll be little things at first, like LED advertising boards. It wouldn't surprise me if we were the biggest ground without them. It may seem insignificant, but it'll all help to generate revenue, and the sight of animated letters bouncing around to form the words Ipswich Plastics will keep you amused for a nanosecond.

Also, I expect improvements in the stand concourses etc. This has been a bugbear for some time of course. Also give the place a lick of paint, perhaps replace some of the seating in the Cobbold as I'm sure some of it is the original stock.

When the more drastic work starts, probably a new dressing room block and tunnel could be included. It just looks so cramped in there.

But like others have said, small steps first. The Portman Megadome is many years off.
Portman road upgrades on 21:30 - May 6 with 1816 viewsBlueForYou

Remove the words Marcus Evans from anywhere inside & outside the ground!
Portman road upgrades on 21:47 - May 6 with 1801 viewshoppy

Portman road upgrades on 21:30 - May 6 by BlueForYou

Remove the words Marcus Evans from anywhere inside & outside the ground!

What if he wants to pay to have advertising?

Portman road upgrades on 21:52 - May 6 with 1794 viewstextbackup

i'd build the dugouts into the lower section of the pioneer stand, people don't sit in there anyway, and it would be 100/150 seats max you'd need to remove.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Portman road upgrades on 22:58 - May 6 with 1727 viewsrgp1

What about the land behind SAR stand? I understand IBC have already given permission to build a Travelodge in the far corner of the car park by Endeavour House but what about the rest of the area?

We know Staples has closed but what about the gym surely if that land was empty it's a big area to fill. Perhaps you could have a gated entrance to the stadium via the SAR stand if it connects which I think part of it does. Surely then a big venue for the club could be built including outdoor drinking and dining areas. Just imagine coming around the one way system and seeing a mass of blue army drinking outside in the sunshine.

Maybe a bit ambitious but just a thought?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024