Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK 09:43 - Nov 24 with 1718 viewsSteve_M

I'm in favour of re-wilding in theory - the Yellowstone story is a powerful one - and many 'wild' landscapes in the UK are in fact extensively farmed.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/nov/24/landscape-of-fear-why-we-nee

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 10:04 - Nov 24 with 1686 viewsGuthrum

Every bit of the UK's landscape is both farmed and shaped by centuries of human activity. The majority of natural woodland had been lost by Roman times. Thus we would need to create the habitats as well as (re)introducing the animals.

The thing about Yellowstone is that the USA has the spare empty space to devote to projects on a sufficient scale to be viable (the park is almost the area of Suffolk and Norfolk combined). The UK is far more densely populated, thus there is less room to do that and more likelihood of interaction with humans. It would be too easy for reintroduced wolves to follow the fox in becoming urban-dwelling bin scavengers. Why hunt when you can scoff discarded burgers with minimal effort?

Plus it's really awkward when a Sunday afternoon stroll gets you eaten by a bear.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 10:21 - Nov 24 with 1659 viewsgordon

The evidence base for what's described in Yellowstone that article is very patchy at best, but the story persists because the narrative is so attractive.
Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 10:56 - Nov 24 with 1609 views26_Paz

Not sure it’s a fantastic idea to release a load of wolves into the forest ...

The Paz Man

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 11:14 - Nov 24 with 1587 viewsSouperJim

A good read, the fundamental problem of course is that your average human is poorly equipped these days to deal with a wolf. We hunted them to extinction for a reason, if you want to live in a world where mankind don't have a devastating impact on the ecosystem then you're fresh out of luck. Reintroducing a predator that you'll then have to manage seems short sighted as a solution to having to manage the population of other animals. You're just swapping one problem for another, and the new problem has sharp teeth.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 11:31 - Nov 24 with 1566 viewsRyorry

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 10:04 - Nov 24 by Guthrum

Every bit of the UK's landscape is both farmed and shaped by centuries of human activity. The majority of natural woodland had been lost by Roman times. Thus we would need to create the habitats as well as (re)introducing the animals.

The thing about Yellowstone is that the USA has the spare empty space to devote to projects on a sufficient scale to be viable (the park is almost the area of Suffolk and Norfolk combined). The UK is far more densely populated, thus there is less room to do that and more likelihood of interaction with humans. It would be too easy for reintroduced wolves to follow the fox in becoming urban-dwelling bin scavengers. Why hunt when you can scoff discarded burgers with minimal effort?

Plus it's really awkward when a Sunday afternoon stroll gets you eaten by a bear.

Exactly, and if rewilding's done, it has to go the whole hog (sorry, but I do mean literally, incorporating wild boar as well) & be done with a 100% exact recreation of all flora & fauna.

We're talking entire ecosystems here, complete with all their difficult and unpleasant aspects, not just the nice attractive bits that some humans want to engineer.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 11:41 - Nov 24 with 1548 viewsGuthrum

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 11:31 - Nov 24 by Ryorry

Exactly, and if rewilding's done, it has to go the whole hog (sorry, but I do mean literally, incorporating wild boar as well) & be done with a 100% exact recreation of all flora & fauna.

We're talking entire ecosystems here, complete with all their difficult and unpleasant aspects, not just the nice attractive bits that some humans want to engineer.

There's a lot of strife in the Forest of Dean, where feral boar have been living wild for years now, over people's lawns being grubbed up. There have also been reports of dogs injured or killed and even one or two alleged injuries to humans.

I've still not seen one any of the times I've been out there.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 11:57 - Nov 24 with 1531 viewsRyorry

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 11:41 - Nov 24 by Guthrum

There's a lot of strife in the Forest of Dean, where feral boar have been living wild for years now, over people's lawns being grubbed up. There have also been reports of dogs injured or killed and even one or two alleged injuries to humans.

Yes, they can be pretty ferocious I've read, esp if mothers with young I imagine, a bit like cows with calves (and that can be bad enough in fields with public fps running through them - 2 instances of people being killed this year in North Yorks alone).
[Post edited 24 Nov 2020 11:59]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 12:01 - Nov 24 with 1523 viewsSteve_M

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 10:04 - Nov 24 by Guthrum

I was going to add a bit more but had to do some work instead.

Yes, the risk of a human being attacked is high and the article does state that wolves would have to be managed. A bit more difficult for wolves to become urban scavengers in much if Scotland mind.

I saw something last week - which I now can;t find again - of the impact of allowing vegetation to grow in one valley in Scotland, within a decade it had small woods and more wildlife as a result.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 12:42 - Nov 24 with 1477 viewsBarcaBlue

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 11:41 - Nov 24 by Guthrum

Wild boar are a real problem here, they have no predators and cause havoc on agricultural land but more seriously on the roads. I hit one with a glancing blow last year, if it had been head on it would have been pretty serious, I don't think people realize how big and "solid" they are. There are organized shoots each year around the village but it seems it does little to dent the numbers. There's little value in the meat locally, I've been offered unbutchered boar from the hunt as they can't sell it on.

Apparently there are 63 bears in the French / Spanish Pyrenees with only problem bears gps tagged. Sightings are very rare but local farmers and shepherds are very vocal in their opposition. From what I've read, feral dogs are a much bigger problem to livestock but can see why so many people are against their reintroduction.

There have been a few wolf sightings recently, they haven't been reintroduced here but have probably travelled from central Spain or north Italy.

Last week I saw a coati whilst driving home, not sure how that got here. Fortunately seen no bears.
Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 12:57 - Nov 24 with 1453 viewsGlevum

Came across a family of them on a walk in the deepest forest last year, came round a corner and they were about 20m away, we stared at them, they stared at us, some of the young started to trot towards, seemingly out of interest, then the adults 'grunted' at them and off they all trotted into the woods. Was a treat. A member of our party missed the show as he was diving into the woods to find a stick to "defend us with". Not at all as scary as the locals round them there parts.
Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 13:03 - Nov 24 with 1437 viewsGeoffSentence

I don't think we will see them in this country, too much fear and too much small c conservatism. That we can live alongside wolves is without doubt since the entirety of mainland Europe does, but we just don't have the depth of vision to allow it in this country anymore, which is a shame since there are landscapes which would benefit from the wolf.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 13:13 - Nov 24 with 1422 viewsSpruceMoose

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 10:56 - Nov 24 by 26_Paz

Not sure it’s a fantastic idea to release a load of wolves into the forest ...

Why?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 13:18 - Nov 24 with 1415 viewsGlevum

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 13:13 - Nov 24 by SpruceMoose

Why?

Little Red Riding Hood?
Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 13:25 - Nov 24 with 1406 viewsleitrimblue

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 13:13 - Nov 24 by SpruceMoose

Why?

The away match at molineux the other year ended up v messy?
Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 13:30 - Nov 24 with 1392 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 12:57 - Nov 24 by Glevum

Came across a family of them on a walk in the deepest forest last year, came round a corner and they were about 20m away, we stared at them, they stared at us, some of the young started to trot towards, seemingly out of interest, then the adults 'grunted' at them and off they all trotted into the woods. Was a treat. A member of our party missed the show as he was diving into the woods to find a stick to "defend us with". Not at all as scary as the locals round them there parts.

I was lucky enough to spot some boar n Dean in September. They just looked at us and then trotted off. Pretty amazing. there's a lot of woodland there and you can walk for a long time without seeing anyone - can't imgine they' do too well here in Essex though!
Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 13:36 - Nov 24 with 1384 viewsMullet

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 12:42 - Nov 24 by BarcaBlue

Wild boar are a real problem here, they have no predators and cause havoc on agricultural land but more seriously on the roads. I hit one with a glancing blow last year, if it had been head on it would have been pretty serious, I don't think people realize how big and "solid" they are. There are organized shoots each year around the village but it seems it does little to dent the numbers. There's little value in the meat locally, I've been offered unbutchered boar from the hunt as they can't sell it on.

Apparently there are 63 bears in the French / Spanish Pyrenees with only problem bears gps tagged. Sightings are very rare but local farmers and shepherds are very vocal in their opposition. From what I've read, feral dogs are a much bigger problem to livestock but can see why so many people are against their reintroduction.

There have been a few wolf sightings recently, they haven't been reintroduced here but have probably travelled from central Spain or north Italy.

Last week I saw a coati whilst driving home, not sure how that got here. Fortunately seen no bears.

Wild boar meat is bloody delicious. Some of the Italian recipes, or the sausages made from it are top notch.

It is frustrating that efforts to sell the meat of animals like this meet such resistance these days. I seem to remember a plan to do this with all the problem constrictor snakes in Florida which is probably much harder sell admittedly!

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 14:41 - Nov 24 with 1328 viewsGeoffSentence

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 13:30 - Nov 24 by SuperKieranMcKenna

I was lucky enough to spot some boar n Dean in September. They just looked at us and then trotted off. Pretty amazing. there's a lot of woodland there and you can walk for a long time without seeing anyone - can't imgine they' do too well here in Essex though!

There was a pack of Wolves in Essex just a few years ago. Escaped from Colchester zoo. All shot within a couple of days.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 15:38 - Nov 24 with 1287 viewsHerbivore

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 12:01 - Nov 24 by Steve_M

I was going to add a bit more but had to do some work instead.

Yes, the risk of a human being attacked is high and the article does state that wolves would have to be managed. A bit more difficult for wolves to become urban scavengers in much if Scotland mind.

I saw something last week - which I now can;t find again - of the impact of allowing vegetation to grow in one valley in Scotland, within a decade it had small woods and more wildlife as a result.

I think the place you're referring to is near Moffat. It had been deforested and the community managed to purchase the land and basically tried leaving it (maybe with a bit of replanting) but basically it's become excellent wild habitat again. Nature can recover and flourish very quickly given the chance.

I like the idea of reintroducing wolves but it does need a lot of thought and careful planning and there are very few areas where it would be even remotely viable.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 15:43 - Nov 24 with 1276 viewsPhilTWTD

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 13:36 - Nov 24 by Mullet

Wild boar meat is bloody delicious. Some of the Italian recipes, or the sausages made from it are top notch.

It is frustrating that efforts to sell the meat of animals like this meet such resistance these days. I seem to remember a plan to do this with all the problem constrictor snakes in Florida which is probably much harder sell admittedly!

Surely they're ideal to put in a baguette.
Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 15:49 - Nov 24 with 1258 viewsMullet

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 15:43 - Nov 24 by PhilTWTD

Surely they're ideal to put in a baguette.

How big are your baguettes Philip?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 16:53 - Nov 24 with 1219 viewsSouperJim

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 15:49 - Nov 24 by Mullet

How big are your baguettes Philip?

Get a room

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Yeah, our back four obviously. (n/t) on 17:12 - Nov 24 with 1201 viewsBloots

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 13:03 - Nov 24 by GeoffSentence

I don't think we will see them in this country, too much fear and too much small c conservatism. That we can live alongside wolves is without doubt since the entirety of mainland Europe does, but we just don't have the depth of vision to allow it in this country anymore, which is a shame since there are landscapes which would benefit from the wolf.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Interesting piece on the reintroduction of wolves to the UK on 17:29 - Nov 24 with 1179 viewsAce_High1

Yeah but what about Black Panthers?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024