Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why do JC and JM think they know better? 13:14 - Nov 15 with 7520 viewshampstead_blue

This morning JM stated that they wouldn't pay market salaries at British Broadband but would pay 'fair wages to all'.

If we take that across everything else they want to nationalise it is safe to assume that these firms aren't going to be run by the best but by JC/JM supporters.

Why so they think they know better than industry?
It's incredibly patronising and a real race to the bottom. I am not saying industry gets it right all the time and I am for sure not supporting bloated pay, but JM is taking it to a different level....very low.

Back to the 70's. Unions controlling industry, 4 day week due to spiralling taxes and zero demand, rubbish piling up everywhere.

If JM and JC where that good at running a country they would have gone into business.

Utterly clueless and taking us into a dark place.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:02 - Nov 15 with 1822 viewsVaughan8

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 13:58 - Nov 15 by jaykay

as a wise man once said you hate the labour party we get it.
oh no it was you hate the tories we get it

didn't mean to downvote you
Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:02 - Nov 15 with 1829 viewslowhouseblue

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 13:39 - Nov 15 by DanTheMan

Whilst I'm not sure it's a great idea, having national infrastructure at the very least run by the Government doesn't seem like an inherently bad thing. Especially as there is very little in the way of competition, and even if there is there is no actual reason for companies like BT or Virgin to actually offer decent products to those in hard to reach areas.

Same arguments for me as trains, if there is a natural monopoly for these things, I don't see what benefit capitalism offers.

And it's not like BT and everyone have been very speedy in regards to building infrastructure. We are incredibly behind a lot of people.

as you say parts of these companies are natural monopolies. no sensible person would leave the private sector to run a natural monopoly - it would result in consumers being exploited in terms of price and quality. that much is a no brainer. so the question then is do you tackle natural monopolies through regulation or public ownership. historically for natural monopolies public ownership has been pretty awful in terms of product quality, innovation, investment, and financial performance. the state is simply not good at these things. very often state failure has more than outweighed any market failure.

the answer is tougher regulation.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:05 - Nov 15 with 1815 viewsBlueBadger

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:00 - Nov 15 by hampstead_blue

Am I a 'right wing type?

Just for clarity, I'm a tory but on the left of the party.

Yep, that's a pretty decent working definition right there.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:06 - Nov 15 with 1811 viewsBlueBadger

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 13:54 - Nov 15 by hampstead_blue

Not quite.

The shares are owned by sovereign wealth funds but run by industry experts.

We all voted to do away with experts in 2016, it'll work perfectly fine.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:08 - Nov 15 with 1798 viewsBackToRussia

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:00 - Nov 15 by Vaughan8

You can offer what you want but most of it is unrealistic.

Increase Tax on business - yay!
Use additional funds for Education and NHS - Yay!

In reality it isn't that simple is it?

Also they want to renegotiate Brexit which is going to cost us even more money.

Both parties are as bad and as useless as each other. They are just both saying vote for us cos we aren't the other one.

Are you another who has done a governmental budget in your spare time?

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:18 - Nov 15 with 1775 viewsBackToRussia

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:00 - Nov 15 by hampstead_blue

Am I a 'right wing type?

Just for clarity, I'm a tory but on the left of the party.

Lollll, left of the party? You're a lib dem then.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:34 - Nov 15 with 1756 viewsDarth_Koont

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:18 - Nov 15 by BackToRussia

Lollll, left of the party? You're a lib dem then.

Hampers illustrates very well exactly how far to the right the supposed "centre" is in the UK.

We're becoming ever more like the US. Many of whom are also very vocal in their belief that Sanders is some deranged Marxist who (self-)hates Jews ...

Pronouns: He/Him

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:36 - Nov 15 with 1747 viewsBryanPlug

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 13:42 - Nov 15 by BlueBadger

All our utilities ARE run by government now. It's just that they're foreign ones.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2019 13:46]

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Login to get fewer ads

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:37 - Nov 15 with 1739 viewsDanTheMan

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:02 - Nov 15 by lowhouseblue

as you say parts of these companies are natural monopolies. no sensible person would leave the private sector to run a natural monopoly - it would result in consumers being exploited in terms of price and quality. that much is a no brainer. so the question then is do you tackle natural monopolies through regulation or public ownership. historically for natural monopolies public ownership has been pretty awful in terms of product quality, innovation, investment, and financial performance. the state is simply not good at these things. very often state failure has more than outweighed any market failure.

the answer is tougher regulation.

I don't see how you could regulate BT to make infrastructure faster. They have no reason or financial incentive to.

What's the point in letting private companies run something that has to be used by the entire country, where you basically have no choice but to use it?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:41 - Nov 15 with 1734 viewsartsbossbeard

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 13:30 - Nov 15 by J2BLUE

How so? Which bit is wrong? I've asked people to give me reasons to vote Labour. The only response I get is they aren't the Tories. A punch in the face isn't a kick in the balls but I wouldn't vote for that either.

I do struggle with the modern day Tory, to be honest.

Your latter day Tory had something tangibly horrid about them, on which you could base an intense dislike. They were Machiavellian, or fiendish, or greedy, or just plain old rotters. They had something inherently bad about them. They were every inch loathsome and slimy, but they had something that you could grudgingly . . . I don't know what. Not admire. Not respect. Not understand. Recognise, maybe. I don't know. You could point out why they were like they were.

This lot aren't even any good at being b@stards. They're just a shower of chancers who, if they weren't politicians, would be working in marketing or maybe even applying for The Apprentice. I doubt they could even articulate why they are Tories. They've drifted into it without any sort of plan, like someone whose taken the first temp job that came up the week after they came back from their gap year.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:42 - Nov 15 with 1722 viewsVaughan8

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:08 - Nov 15 by BackToRussia

Are you another who has done a governmental budget in your spare time?

No, just anyone knows it not that simple...…

Maybe you've learnt something new today. A good day for you!
Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:48 - Nov 15 with 1712 viewsDarth_Koont

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:41 - Nov 15 by artsbossbeard

I do struggle with the modern day Tory, to be honest.

Your latter day Tory had something tangibly horrid about them, on which you could base an intense dislike. They were Machiavellian, or fiendish, or greedy, or just plain old rotters. They had something inherently bad about them. They were every inch loathsome and slimy, but they had something that you could grudgingly . . . I don't know what. Not admire. Not respect. Not understand. Recognise, maybe. I don't know. You could point out why they were like they were.

This lot aren't even any good at being b@stards. They're just a shower of chancers who, if they weren't politicians, would be working in marketing or maybe even applying for The Apprentice. I doubt they could even articulate why they are Tories. They've drifted into it without any sort of plan, like someone whose taken the first temp job that came up the week after they came back from their gap year.

"They're just a shower of chancers who, if they weren't politicians, would be working in marketing or maybe even applying for The Apprentice. I doubt they could even articulate why they are Tories. They've drifted into it without any sort of plan, like someone whose taken the first temp job that came up the week after they came back from their gap year."

Well said. I got exactly the same feeling from the religious New Labour types - politics as a less boring career and ultimately a bit of a nerdy, tribal game. Like F1 in suits, all powered by disposable marketing slogans and think tank branding.

Pronouns: He/Him

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:53 - Nov 15 with 1709 viewslongtimefan

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 13:28 - Nov 15 by BlueBadger

Trouble is, by and large, government knows a damn sight more than the Efficient Private Sector.

I presume you aren't old enough to remember the days of the GPO running the telecomms network then? I worked for both GPO 6 years pre-privatization and BT for 20 years after privatization and the difference was chalk and cheese. The inefficiency pre-privatization was something to behold.
Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:56 - Nov 15 with 1692 viewsBackToRussia

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:42 - Nov 15 by Vaughan8

No, just anyone knows it not that simple...…

Maybe you've learnt something new today. A good day for you!

The problem is that "its not that simple" is meaningless.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 15:00 - Nov 15 with 1679 viewshampstead_blue

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:06 - Nov 15 by BlueBadger

We all voted to do away with experts in 2016, it'll work perfectly fine.

Are you so keen to live on a desert island?

Pretty soon the only people left will be JC and a few cronies. Everyone else would have left.

Len McClusky can't wait to get his hands on business again. He and his bonkers mates have been itching to get us back to the 70's since they were put in their box by Maggie.

I struggle to understand why so many people would self-harm on this way. Does JC give his supporters a special kind of 'Kool Aid'? Numb the mind.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 15:01 - Nov 15 with 1673 viewshampstead_blue

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 14:53 - Nov 15 by longtimefan

I presume you aren't old enough to remember the days of the GPO running the telecomms network then? I worked for both GPO 6 years pre-privatization and BT for 20 years after privatization and the difference was chalk and cheese. The inefficiency pre-privatization was something to behold.

POTD

Thank-you.
I've been hoping someone would share their experiences of working for the unionised clunking machines which were the 1970's.

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 15:25 - Nov 15 with 1645 viewslongtimefan

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 15:01 - Nov 15 by hampstead_blue

POTD

Thank-you.
I've been hoping someone would share their experiences of working for the unionised clunking machines which were the 1970's.

It really was something else. As an apprentice I was sent on a training course away from base for 5 weeks. Three weeks spent leaning basics and then 2 weeks out in vans with experienced installation and maintenance people. It turned out that for each of those weeks I only had to work mornings as the "full-time" employees moon-lighted in the afternoons. The installation guy fitted double-glazing in the afternoons, while the maintenance guy ran a hire car business
Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 15:27 - Nov 15 with 1638 viewsDanTheMan

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 15:25 - Nov 15 by longtimefan

It really was something else. As an apprentice I was sent on a training course away from base for 5 weeks. Three weeks spent leaning basics and then 2 weeks out in vans with experienced installation and maintenance people. It turned out that for each of those weeks I only had to work mornings as the "full-time" employees moon-lighted in the afternoons. The installation guy fitted double-glazing in the afternoons, while the maintenance guy ran a hire car business

And private companies go bankrupt due to incompetence, so I guess the answer is to just not do anything in either sector.

Yay.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 15:43 - Nov 15 with 1613 viewsBryanPlug

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 15:27 - Nov 15 by DanTheMan

And private companies go bankrupt due to incompetence, so I guess the answer is to just not do anything in either sector.

Yay.

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 16:04 - Nov 15 with 1598 viewsElGuaje4

Really struggling to think of a reason why you wouldn’t vote for Labour. If anyone thinks of something let me know.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2019 16:05]
Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 16:12 - Nov 15 with 1564 viewshampstead_blue

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 15:27 - Nov 15 by DanTheMan

Yay.

Private companies have compliance which does something. Not always, but it's better than some union bloke sat on his harris knowing he can't be fired!

I do think that JC has bought out the starry eyed in some. Do you seriously think that a heavily unionised, 'you can't fire me' culture is best?

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 16:13 - Nov 15 with 1565 viewseireblue

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 15:43 - Nov 15 by BryanPlug

Unless the company is deemed critical to UK infrastructure.

Then it is bailed out.

Like a bank.

Or..

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jan/05/richard-branson-defends-governm
Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 16:17 - Nov 15 with 1552 viewsBackToRussia

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 13:43 - Nov 15 by StokieBlue

This is purely hypothetical:

Out of interest, if Labour got in and then decided that farms would be more efficient if they were nationalised and centrally run and offered you a price they thought was fine but below market rate and gave you bonds rather than cash and no recourse to say no what would you think?

SB

I'd ask them if I could work on it, at a tenner an hour living wage I'd be better off. I'm not a land owner and all the ones who are rely on government subsidies anyway. I reckon most farmers would be glad to escape the drudgery.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2019 16:30]

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 16:17 - Nov 15 with 1550 viewsBrixtonBlue

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 13:36 - Nov 15 by J2BLUE

But lying to get a certain political result is wrong right? Or is that only when the result goes the wrong way?

Who's been lying?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 16:19 - Nov 15 with 1549 viewsBrixtonBlue

Why do JC and JM think they know better? on 13:48 - Nov 15 by J2BLUE

You agree though that their intention should be to do everything in their manifesto in the timescale they make clear in advance? I will wait for the manifesto with interest.

This is also just one of my concerns. I listed the rest earlier. No reply from Dolly (not suggesting he's ducking the question, he might be busy at work) and Darth replied saying they were the only alternative to the Tories. I get that.

I have replied. And yes I was busy at work.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024