Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Please read this account of price inflation 14:52 - Jan 21 with 5880 viewsArnoldMoorhen

For the poorest in society.

It will take you 3 or 4 minutes to read the whole thread (not replies from others) but the big reveal comes in the middle.

If you, like me, have noticed a few things getting more expensive but can cope, this explains why, and where the price rises have been focused:

As Jack says, the majority of members of the media come from very similar backgrounds, and wouldn't have a clue that this is the story that they should be reporting, because they haven't noticed.
Please read this account of price inflation on 15:06 - Jan 21 with 3168 viewsJ2BLUE

Saw similar on the news the other day. They listed three staples and their price increases and then said avocados had gone down in price.

Well that's helpful.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Please read this account of price inflation on 15:16 - Jan 21 with 3150 viewsLord_Lucan

I've flicked through that briefly. Is she saying that low cost items have risen more than luxury items due to some kind of elitist persecution?

Things like baked beans and pasta are on the multiples hitlist of items being the benchmark to achieve the best price throughout the big 4. They will make little if any profit on these items, if the prices have gone up 100% then the price increase is real. If it's a £10 hob nob ready meal for one then that will have a massive mark up and it will be easier to absorb any price rise.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Please read this account of price inflation on 15:19 - Jan 21 with 3141 viewsbluelagos

Please read this account of price inflation on 15:16 - Jan 21 by Lord_Lucan

I've flicked through that briefly. Is she saying that low cost items have risen more than luxury items due to some kind of elitist persecution?

Things like baked beans and pasta are on the multiples hitlist of items being the benchmark to achieve the best price throughout the big 4. They will make little if any profit on these items, if the prices have gone up 100% then the price increase is real. If it's a £10 hob nob ready meal for one then that will have a massive mark up and it will be easier to absorb any price rise.

They are not reasoning why there are differences, just pointing out that the headline increase in inflation (around 5.5%) is an average and that the items the poorest tend to buy have gone up significantly more.

E.G. I am just back from Tesco and bought some tinned tomotoes that seem to be close to double what they were 18 months ago.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Please read this account of price inflation on 15:20 - Jan 21 with 3135 viewsgiant_stow

Thanks for the link. I just don't look that carefully at the prices myself,, although suspect I might be joining others in doing so soon. I've no idea how people cope.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Please read this account of price inflation on 15:24 - Jan 21 with 3118 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Please read this account of price inflation on 15:16 - Jan 21 by Lord_Lucan

Yes, that is the point that Jack is making. That because the media don't live off the cheapest items they are oblivious to the real effect of price inflation on the poorest. Whereas if they had witnessed Charlie Bingham Fish Pies going up 300% they would have noticed and would be writing articles about it.

As you say, the supermarkets and producers have absorbed some of those cost increases on mid market to luxury items and the comfortable to well off are oblivious.

Somebody who was just about able to feed their family, and heat their home, a year ago is now going to be unable to do both. Half a tin of beans on a slice of toast is not great for a ten year old to have for their main meal regularly. But a quarter of a tin on half a slice for the same money?
Please read this account of price inflation on 15:29 - Jan 21 with 3094 viewsRobTheMonk

We've started to cut back on things as we're expecting twins in May. We have a reasonable income between us but we're still tightening up because why wouldn't you when everything is going up. There will be a large amount of people who won't be able to absorb these rises.
Please read this account of price inflation on 15:32 - Jan 21 with 3084 viewsfooters

Please read this account of price inflation on 15:24 - Jan 21 by ArnoldMoorhen

Yes, that is the point that Jack is making. That because the media don't live off the cheapest items they are oblivious to the real effect of price inflation on the poorest. Whereas if they had witnessed Charlie Bingham Fish Pies going up 300% they would have noticed and would be writing articles about it.

As you say, the supermarkets and producers have absorbed some of those cost increases on mid market to luxury items and the comfortable to well off are oblivious.

Somebody who was just about able to feed their family, and heat their home, a year ago is now going to be unable to do both. Half a tin of beans on a slice of toast is not great for a ten year old to have for their main meal regularly. But a quarter of a tin on half a slice for the same money?

Was in the local shop just before Christmas and two young lads went to the till with a pack of spaghetti and tin of chopped toms. Turns out the money their mum had given them was no longer enough.

Two things:

Why wouldn't the shopkeeper just forgive the pennies in difference?

What kind of country are we living in when a family of three (or more possibly) can't afford a couple of quid for dinner?

Of course I told them not to put the items back and to get some cheese and chocolate etc on me and keep the money. But it's fcking depressing that these things are happening and without charity will keep happening.

But of course I'm sure the mum's a smoker, drinker, has the latest Sky package and extra wide TV, blah, blah, blah. For a nominally Christian country we have lost our way.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Please read this account of price inflation on 15:32 - Jan 21 with 3079 viewsJ2BLUE

It seems her local supermarket is Asda which is quite a surprise with those rises. I've always thought of them as the cheapest for that kind of staple item.

Quite an eye opener. Those live below the line challenges are going to be interesting this year.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Please read this account of price inflation on 15:35 - Jan 21 with 3060 viewsDarth_Koont

A lot of people are suffering/going to suffer needlessly. We already have 4 million kids and rising in poverty, now this?

I’m sad and angry how this will play out with no or at least inadequate help from the government.

Pressure them but at least support your local food bank if you can.

Pronouns: He/Him

Please read this account of price inflation on 15:36 - Jan 21 with 3036 viewsLord_Lucan

Please read this account of price inflation on 15:24 - Jan 21 by ArnoldMoorhen

Oh yes, I 100% agree with this. I hadn't really considered it before and it is an absolutely brilliant observation.

I fall into the trap of being a bit blasé about prices. I'm lucky to not really know how much a can of beans is as I just add it to the basket and pay. Don't get me wrong, I know that a can of beans isn't over £1 it's just that I don't know if it's 25p or 70p

I really feel for the people who are on the breadline as this time it's a genuine mothefeck of a crisis and it isn't going to get better anytime soon. I just can't imagine having to lay awake at night having to worry about how you are going to buy food and heat the house.

This madness all stems through profiteering from energy suppliers and shipping companies and it's global.

Governments around the world are happy to give it to Syria etc when they choose but are absent when it comes to giving the big one to Maersk and their fellow bandits

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Please read this account of price inflation on 15:37 - Jan 21 with 3010 viewsgiant_stow

Please read this account of price inflation on 15:32 - Jan 21 by footers

Was in the local shop just before Christmas and two young lads went to the till with a pack of spaghetti and tin of chopped toms. Turns out the money their mum had given them was no longer enough.

Two things:

What kind of country are we living in when a family of three (or more possibly) can't afford a couple of quid for dinner?

Of course I told them not to put the items back and to get some cheese and chocolate etc on me and keep the money. But it's fcking depressing that these things are happening and without charity will keep happening.

But of course I'm sure the mum's a smoker, drinker, has the latest Sky package and extra wide TV, blah, blah, blah. For a nominally Christian country we have lost our way.

I worked in an office just behind a mini-market and got pally with the shopkeeper, while on fag breaks. Anyway, he always called it a 'pennies business', so I think that's why they don't let people off too often - right or wrong.

Anyway, like you say, those lads sound like they're living in serious poverty - I shudder at what's to come for many.

*The building was owned by a group of UK communists and rented it to us and the shop keeper - work that one out
[Post edited 21 Jan 2022 15:39]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Please read this account of price inflation on 15:39 - Jan 21 with 2964 viewsHARRY10

There is the point that those who just about get by every week will be hit.

Pretty much like where you are sat on the beach.

If you are sat about a foot above the highwater mark you will get wet as the tide irises. If you are sat a good few yards further up, you will still notice the higher tide, but it will not have the same effect.

It is about how much 'disposable income' you have.
Please read this account of price inflation on 15:51 - Jan 21 with 2868 viewschicoazul

Being poor is very expensive. More so now than ever.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Please read this account of price inflation on 16:00 - Jan 21 with 2835 viewshype313

Please read this account of price inflation on 15:35 - Jan 21 by Darth_Koont

A lot of people are suffering/going to suffer needlessly. We already have 4 million kids and rising in poverty, now this?

I’m sad and angry how this will play out with no or at least inadequate help from the government.

Pressure them but at least support your local food bank if you can.

I'm sure Rishi will come to the rescue, seeing as he's lived through abject poverty and can understand the concerns and worries.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Please read this account of price inflation on 16:07 - Jan 21 with 2814 viewsfooters

Please read this account of price inflation on 15:37 - Jan 21 by giant_stow

I worked in an office just behind a mini-market and got pally with the shopkeeper, while on fag breaks. Anyway, he always called it a 'pennies business', so I think that's why they don't let people off too often - right or wrong.

Anyway, like you say, those lads sound like they're living in serious poverty - I shudder at what's to come for many.

*The building was owned by a group of UK communists and rented it to us and the shop keeper - work that one out
[Post edited 21 Jan 2022 15:39]

Oh yeah, totally. You get so many thieves and chancers just trying it on, can definitelty see why he was coming from. I'm just soft as sh1t - probably why I'd never make it in business!
[Post edited 21 Jan 2022 16:08]

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Please read this account of price inflation on 16:23 - Jan 21 with 2742 viewsPinewoodblue

Please read this account of price inflation on 16:00 - Jan 21 by hype313

I'm sure Rishi will come to the rescue, seeing as he's lived through abject poverty and can understand the concerns and worries.

That is why the official opposition should be demanding a review of the plans to increase pensions by 3.7% in April. But I suppose all politicians live in a protected world.

Wonder how big an increase they will approve for themselves in the next few weeks.I say approve because they don’t have to accept what a pay board recommends if they think it is too high.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Please read this account of price inflation on 16:24 - Jan 21 with 2742 viewscatch74

I just can’t see the problem, if bread is more expensive and cake hasn’t gone up….

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Please read this account of price inflation on 17:46 - Jan 21 with 2549 viewsHARRY10

This is where it will hit, If you have a fixed incline that barely makes ends meet, then what ? Where do you go.

You buy nothing new, you replace nothing, and you have little hope it will change.

If the Tories think Johnson crooked behaviour is causing them a problem, wait until this kicks in. Until those who were promised a 'levelling up' learn that it was a con, just as much as the rest of the lies they were fed in exchange for their votes.

A quote from elsewhere has that Johnson flat refurbishment has worked out at £400 a day so far - £850 a roll on the wallpaper.

Yep, we are all in this together
Please read this account of price inflation on 17:55 - Jan 21 with 2527 viewsXYZ

Please read this account of price inflation on 17:46 - Jan 21 by HARRY10

This is where it will hit, If you have a fixed incline that barely makes ends meet, then what ? Where do you go.

You buy nothing new, you replace nothing, and you have little hope it will change.

If the Tories think Johnson crooked behaviour is causing them a problem, wait until this kicks in. Until those who were promised a 'levelling up' learn that it was a con, just as much as the rest of the lies they were fed in exchange for their votes.

A quote from elsewhere has that Johnson flat refurbishment has worked out at £400 a day so far - £850 a roll on the wallpaper.

Yep, we are all in this together

They won't care.

The poorest won't have photo ID and won't be able to vote against them in future.
Please read this account of price inflation on 18:53 - Jan 21 with 2411 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Please read this account of price inflation on 17:55 - Jan 21 by XYZ

They won't care.

The poorest won't have photo ID and won't be able to vote against them in future.

Sometimes I'm not sure which will win the battle between sadness and anger in me at the state of things and the blindness of so many to our slide towards a post-democratic future.

I'm kind of paralysed and the only thing I seem able to do is post about it on here or on Facebook.

Why can't people see what is going on?
Please read this account of price inflation on 19:09 - Jan 21 with 2398 viewsjeera

Please read this account of price inflation on 18:53 - Jan 21 by ArnoldMoorhen

Sometimes I'm not sure which will win the battle between sadness and anger in me at the state of things and the blindness of so many to our slide towards a post-democratic future.

I'm kind of paralysed and the only thing I seem able to do is post about it on here or on Facebook.

Quick example.

Chap I used to be pally with, (he was my go-to mechanic for years), posted one of those silly pro-Brexit lists on FB a year or two back. You know the type, listing stuff like how we'd be forced into having the Euro soon, something about the upcoming Schengen agreement, that sort of thing.

I addressed the list one item at a time and mentioned how the Schengen agreement was signed years ago and that the UK isn't part of it etc.

He replied with "Yawn".

So just not interested then, not at all. Posted a pack of lies that suited his mind-set and that would do. That's your answer. People like that who don't care about facts or other people or indeed anything outside of their own self-centred needs.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Please read this account of price inflation on 19:11 - Jan 21 with 2382 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Please read this account of price inflation on 18:53 - Jan 21 by ArnoldMoorhen

Don't disagree but this disenfranchisement has been going on for decades, certainly my entire lifetime.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Please read this account of price inflation on 19:14 - Jan 21 with 2374 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Please read this account of price inflation on 19:09 - Jan 21 by jeera

Quick example.

Chap I used to be pally with, (he was my go-to mechanic for years), posted one of those silly pro-Brexit lists on FB a year or two back. You know the type, listing stuff like how we'd be forced into having the Euro soon, something about the upcoming Schengen agreement, that sort of thing.

I addressed the list one item at a time and mentioned how the Schengen agreement was signed years ago and that the UK isn't part of it etc.

He replied with "Yawn".

So just not interested then, not at all. Posted a pack of lies that suited his mind-set and that would do. That's your answer. People like that who don't care about facts or other people or indeed anything outside of their own self-centred needs.

Did you see QT last night and the fella who mentioned a certain journalist going by the name of Johnson who used to propagate the lies and then wait for Tory MP's to repeat them.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Please read this account of price inflation on 19:17 - Jan 21 with 2371 viewsjeera

Please read this account of price inflation on 19:14 - Jan 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

Did you see QT last night and the fella who mentioned a certain journalist going by the name of Johnson who used to propagate the lies and then wait for Tory MP's to repeat them.

I didn't see it no. Tbh I've not watched a great deal of them lately.

They just give me the hump much of the time.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Please read this account of price inflation on 19:21 - Jan 21 with 2356 viewsjaykay

Please read this account of price inflation on 15:32 - Jan 21 by footers

Two things:

also the latest I phone and loads of expensive tattoos

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024