Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR 20:05 - Aug 5 with 3309 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Despite it being one of the closest to where I live. Ironic really, that with FGR as the only Carbon neutral football club in the UK, the away fans will be creating a huge carbon footprint getting there from Suffolk. As a silver member, tickets sold out before they got to people like me. I have said on here before that there should be an option for Silver members to get a couple of games per season where they have the same priority as Gold members. Maybe you don't give a flying f**k about climate change. But if my idea was taken up, it would help towards reducing the carbon footprint of football in general. Silver membership seems like just a waste of 30 quid.

Poll: would you rather

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 08:37 - Aug 6 with 784 viewsEly_Blue

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 08:33 - Aug 6 by Dubtractor

It makes literally no sense at all.

Annoyed that silver membership is pointless - fine, but no one holds a gun to your head to get it.

The climate link is just bizarre, and only applies to this very specific example/game and this supporter.

I’d go further on your last point and add “to support the blub on Friday evening after too many vinos”

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 08:40 - Aug 6 with 768 viewsSitfcB

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 07:23 - Aug 6 by LegendofthePhoenix

As a general point, irrespective of the climate change issue, Silver Membership in L1 just seems like a waste, because the only point in having it is to get ticket priority, but if the allocations for many games are sold out before ever getting to Silver Members, then it doesn't work. Obviously, the reason Gold card holders have the Gold card is also to get priority for the away games. But the way it is set up is that gold cards get priority at every away game. in my opinion, it would be a better system if Silver holders were allowed to choose 2 or 3 games a season where they get the same ticket priority as a GC. I happen to think that would be a fairer way of doing it (but don't expect many GC holders to agree).
Then this week, reading up about the Zero Carbon approach of FGR made me realise that some clubs are thinking more about the impact that football has on the environment. Having thousands of fans criss-crossing the country every week does result in lots of CO2 production. This would be reduced if there was a way of fans having shorter journeys (amongst other things including mode of transport). Introducing a mechanism that gave a higher ticket priority to fans that live closer to matches would help towards that. Most fans see their loyalty to following their club across the land as so far above environmental concerns that this doesn't even figure in the decision. The closest games to me this season are all at 3 pm on Saturdays, so will all sell out before I get a chance to buy a ticket. Which means I will be creating more CO2 by travelling to games further away if I want to see Town live. Taking CO2 into consideration in which games we all attend is a different way of thinking about match prioritisation. The piece in the Athletic about which grounds (50 including PR) will be suffering annual flooding events by 2050 is sobering. My idea about Silver Cards is just a small step that could be taken towards helping achieve a lower carbon footprint.

Haven’t even read this yet and I’ve downed it.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 08:42 - Aug 6 with 763 viewsVic

I’m sure you’ve seen it, but get 8n touch with KellyBB

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 08:59 - Aug 6 with 740 viewsEly_Blue

Will you be thinking about climate change when you drive up to Ipswich for the MK Dons game or when you were up in Southwold a few weeks back? I mean I guess it didn’t suit your narrative at that point

Anyone travelling from around Reading area to the Bolton game? by LegendofthePhoenix 22 Jul 2022 11:47
I'm gonna be up in Suffolk, but need a lift back from Ipswich to Reading.
Then for the MK Dons game, I will be driving (from Reading) and could reciprocate (in both directions).

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 09:11 - Aug 6 with 708 viewsParky

What a load of shït, all because you didn’t get a ticket.
Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 09:17 - Aug 6 with 695 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 08:22 - Aug 6 by Big_Jase

I can see from your posting history you were at the game last week, obviously carbon footprint wasn’t an issue for you last week.

Actually I was on holiday in Suffolk for the week.

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 09:20 - Aug 6 with 686 viewsBlueBoots

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 07:23 - Aug 6 by LegendofthePhoenix

As a general point, irrespective of the climate change issue, Silver Membership in L1 just seems like a waste, because the only point in having it is to get ticket priority, but if the allocations for many games are sold out before ever getting to Silver Members, then it doesn't work. Obviously, the reason Gold card holders have the Gold card is also to get priority for the away games. But the way it is set up is that gold cards get priority at every away game. in my opinion, it would be a better system if Silver holders were allowed to choose 2 or 3 games a season where they get the same ticket priority as a GC. I happen to think that would be a fairer way of doing it (but don't expect many GC holders to agree).
Then this week, reading up about the Zero Carbon approach of FGR made me realise that some clubs are thinking more about the impact that football has on the environment. Having thousands of fans criss-crossing the country every week does result in lots of CO2 production. This would be reduced if there was a way of fans having shorter journeys (amongst other things including mode of transport). Introducing a mechanism that gave a higher ticket priority to fans that live closer to matches would help towards that. Most fans see their loyalty to following their club across the land as so far above environmental concerns that this doesn't even figure in the decision. The closest games to me this season are all at 3 pm on Saturdays, so will all sell out before I get a chance to buy a ticket. Which means I will be creating more CO2 by travelling to games further away if I want to see Town live. Taking CO2 into consideration in which games we all attend is a different way of thinking about match prioritisation. The piece in the Athletic about which grounds (50 including PR) will be suffering annual flooding events by 2050 is sobering. My idea about Silver Cards is just a small step that could be taken towards helping achieve a lower carbon footprint.

I thought the OP was a bit of a dog's dinner, but now the dog's come back in from the garden and knocked his bowl on the floor...

Simple solution to the problem of CO2 emissions created by football fans - the price of a ticket for every away fan in the country should be 50p per mile distance from their registered address to the stadium they're visiting, a 50% discount on that price if you prove you're travelling by public transport, and a free ticket if you arrive on foot, by bike, or in one of these...

[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 9:22]

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 09:25 - Aug 6 with 677 viewsEly_Blue

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 09:17 - Aug 6 by LegendofthePhoenix

Actually I was on holiday in Suffolk for the week.

Carbon footprint still didn’t bother you on the drive to southwold or next weekend from Reading though!

Login to get fewer ads

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 09:25 - Aug 6 with 670 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 09:25 - Aug 6 by Ely_Blue

Carbon footprint still didn’t bother you on the drive to southwold or next weekend from Reading though!

sharing.
And yes, it does bother me. That's why I would prefer going to more games closer to where I live, or share car use, or use public transport if that isn't possible as I do care about the environment, and try to balance against my support of my club.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 9:31]

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 09:29 - Aug 6 with 644 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

That sounds like a logistical nightmare. So every Silver member gets to nominate 2/3 games where they have Gold priviledge - do they have to be in a certain geographical radius? Do they nominate at the start of the season or just whenever they feel like it?

Seems to me that this game in particular would be very popular with the silver-turned-gold-for-a-day members and you still might miss out as there'd be more demand. And why should some Gold members miss out - even Gold members near you could miss out in your scheme. But regardless, hardly fair is it? I'm not even sure it would make THAT much difference to CO2 if it's only a few locals with Silver Ipswich membership going to FGR.

Also, if you're that bothered, and seeing as you do go to some home games, why not get an ST and a Gold membership? I have a mate who lives in Blackburn who's had an ST for years.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 9:32]

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 11:05 - Aug 6 with 588 viewsRyorry

Just a suggestion, but you could try doing something that worked well for us years ago when I went to most away games in the north but couldn't do the travel to southern games - bought a gold card & shared it with someone on here (sorry, can't recall who now!) who was based in the south & couldn't get to northern games.

Obviously he took all the games in S, I took all the games in N (it was a pretty even split at the time) & we split the cost of the card 50-50.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 11:32 - Aug 6 with 553 viewsClareBlue

I got in home family stand by registering in Ireland. I think they are hoping I will set up an Irish supporters club.
Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 11:45 - Aug 6 with 543 viewsSkip_Intro

Excellent post. Let's ban all away fans from every game and any home fans who live more than 20 miles away apart from you because you're entitled.
Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 12:11 - Aug 6 with 491 viewsSE1blue

If you want to win a TWTD end of year award, for something like 'Biggest Whinge and Whine', you need to go for it in a later month like March.

You've peaked too early.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 12:38 - Aug 6 with 465 viewsfranz_tyson

A VPN and an iFollow pass is the best carbon neutral solution. I'm putting on my hemp sandals and walking 10 miles to the nearest Greg's to get a vegan sausage roll so I can re-enact the FGR experience from my living room.
Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 13:28 - Aug 6 with 410 viewsJ2BLUE

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 12:11 - Aug 6 by SE1blue

If you want to win a TWTD end of year award, for something like 'Biggest Whinge and Whine', you need to go for it in a later month like March.

You've peaked too early.

How is March later than August? The awards are based on the calendar year, not seasons.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 13:41 - Aug 6 with 387 viewsnoggin

Haven't been able to get a ticket for FGR on 12:38 - Aug 6 by franz_tyson

A VPN and an iFollow pass is the best carbon neutral solution. I'm putting on my hemp sandals and walking 10 miles to the nearest Greg's to get a vegan sausage roll so I can re-enact the FGR experience from my living room.

You haven't really thought this through. Those vegan sausage rolls will give you flatulence, so increasing methane levels, which as we know is more damaging than CO2. You might want to drop the Gregg's and eat a slice of white toast.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2022 13:45]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024