Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
550k for Downes 10:13 - Aug 9 with 2344 viewsbournemouthblue

could be an absolute bargain for Swansea to be fair to them. I hope there's a hefty sell on fee in there.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

550k for Downes on 10:16 - Aug 9 with 1854 viewsSteve_M

It's symptomatic of the complete incompetence at this club over several years that we are left in this position now. Even more frustrating when we have a large central-midfielder shaped hole in our squad.

But, there we are and hopefully we will have a structure in place within a few months to prevent such utter carelessness happening again.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

550k for Downes on 10:17 - Aug 9 with 1820 viewsElderGrizzly

Ashton said at the fans forum, we are very well protected on players who move on.

As with Dozzell, we were never going to get big money outright for players who struggled to dominate L1.

All we can do is get sell-ons or additions on performance to push up the fee.
550k for Downes on 10:17 - Aug 9 with 1817 viewschicoazul

550k for Downes on 10:16 - Aug 9 by Steve_M

It's symptomatic of the complete incompetence at this club over several years that we are left in this position now. Even more frustrating when we have a large central-midfielder shaped hole in our squad.

But, there we are and hopefully we will have a structure in place within a few months to prevent such utter carelessness happening again.

Pretty sure we needed to move Downes on before we can bring in another CM, he was one of our highest earners.
But you’re dead right about the situation.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

550k for Downes on 10:17 - Aug 9 with 1809 viewsjayessess

Wow, really? Surprised we've taken that given the multiple clubs interested, the time left in the window and the time left on his contract ...

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

550k for Downes on 10:18 - Aug 9 with 1781 viewsElderGrizzly

550k for Downes on 10:17 - Aug 9 by jayessess

Wow, really? Surprised we've taken that given the multiple clubs interested, the time left in the window and the time left on his contract ...

It will all depend on what the additions to that base fee are.

It could be worth millions of course.
550k for Downes on 10:20 - Aug 9 with 1749 viewsMetal_Hacker

It could be but is he really "all that" ?

I've always thought he could be and always considered him as one of our better midfielders over recent seasons BUT.....with the ongoing saga we've found ourselves with him and his reported attitude also comparing him with both Evans and Harper on Saturday's evidence ,I think we've for the most come out better with this in all fairness

So long as there's a substantial sell on percentage in case he reaches his "potential" I see no drama - I'm quite happy with the end result player-wise.

Potential is just that - nothing is guaranteed

Good luck to him and we'll see over the next 12 months exactly how good a player the guy is...or isn't

Poll: If it were one or the other

550k for Downes on 10:20 - Aug 9 with 1738 viewsitfcsuth

I think if that is the figure, for Downes, Dozzell & Bishop we will have received a total figure around £1.75m.

We have subsequently bought in Harper, Fraser & Evans for around the £1m mark.

In my opinion we have upgraded the position overall, and generated a profit like for like.
550k for Downes on 10:21 - Aug 9 with 1716 viewsBlueOsterClub

Are you sure that 550,000 was not just their first offer? Do you not think we counted offered at 750,000 + add ons possibly?

750,000 is a bargain for them but a fair price for us too.
Login to get fewer ads

550k for Downes on 10:22 - Aug 9 with 1698 viewshomer_123

550k for Downes on 10:20 - Aug 9 by itfcsuth

I think if that is the figure, for Downes, Dozzell & Bishop we will have received a total figure around £1.75m.

In my opinion we have upgraded the position overall, and generated a profit like for like.

It's too early to say if we have truly upgraded with Harper, Fraser and Evans.

I'm not saying that we haven't but let's not get ahead of ourselves. A promising start from Harper and Evans in the middle.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 10:27]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

550k for Downes on 10:22 - Aug 9 with 1692 viewsElderGrizzly

550k for Downes on 10:20 - Aug 9 by itfcsuth

And the additions for Dozzell and Downes will be worth more than the additions we have to pay for Harper, Evans etc

We are definitely up on the dealing so far, even before you take into account any additions we might get.
550k for Downes on 10:23 - Aug 9 with 1685 viewsMatt_Netherlands

550k for Downes on 10:17 - Aug 9 by jayessess

On the flip side, as we approach the end of the window other clubs will know we’re keen to get a deal done so will use that to their advantage and try and grab themselves a bargain! Unfortunately I don’t think many clubs will see the need to get into a bidding war and our over the odds for a player who has been outcast to the youth team and doesn’t have a squad number!
550k for Downes on 10:24 - Aug 9 with 1646 viewsFixed_It

550k for Downes on 10:22 - Aug 9 by homer_123

I'm not saying that we haven't but let's not get ahead of ourselves. A promising start from Harper and Evans in the middle.

I'd say - based on the last 12 months - we probably have.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

550k for Downes on 10:26 - Aug 9 with 1615 viewsMullet

An absolute travesty he and Dozzell will fetch so little. As we've discussed the current disequilibrium in the squad only needs to be temporary so you'd hope that Ashton will play a blinder and get decent add-ons structured in, then do the same for the replacements.

Hopefully there is some long term thought into many of these signings in and out too.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

550k for Downes on 10:26 - Aug 9 with 1601 viewsJamestownPrince

Will be extras I presume including a sell on fee, appearances, and promotion
550k for Downes on 10:29 - Aug 9 with 1545 viewshomer_123

550k for Downes on 10:24 - Aug 9 by Fixed_It

I'd say - based on the last 12 months - we probably have.

As I say, not saying we haven't, however, we have had an indifferent pre-season and a 2 all draw at home to Morecombe.

For me, I'm not getting ahead of things, let's see how this pans out over, the next 10 or so games and we'll have a better idea of where we are.

I'm also acutely aware that we are very likely to bring in another CM as well - be interested to see who this is and what they add.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 10:31]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

550k for Downes on 10:33 - Aug 9 with 1484 viewsjayessess

550k for Downes on 10:23 - Aug 9 by Matt_Netherlands

On the flip side, as we approach the end of the window other clubs will know we’re keen to get a deal done so will use that to their advantage and try and grab themselves a bargain! Unfortunately I don’t think many clubs will see the need to get into a bidding war and our over the odds for a player who has been outcast to the youth team and doesn’t have a squad number!

True. I suppose it's a question of how firm all this interest is and what finances everybody has to hand really.

I'd imagine that £550k is nowhere near the price tag we'd have put on him initially, so I guess the surprise is (a) we've not preferred to send him on loan to a Championship club with a view to selling him later and (b) haven't played it out until the end of the window to see if he turns from "decent option" to "must have" for one of his suitors.

550k for Downes on 10:34 - Aug 9 with 1468 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

League 1 player, off the back of a poor season, 1 year left on his contract.

Would have ideally wanted to see a bigger fee from a Champ club, but just need to make sure there are some milestones and a sell on fee in there.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

550k for Downes on 10:36 - Aug 9 with 1412 viewsHighgateBlue

Do you really think that Downes is leaving because of historical mistakes? Surely the facts are that (a) he still has time left on his contract, (b) he was available to play under Cook last season, and (c) Cook has made an assessment of all inherited players based on their quality and their attitude.

If Downes is deemed by Cook to be surplus to requirements, then surely that's because either Cook doesn't rate him, or Cook thinks his attitude isn't good enough. One can blame Lambert and his predecessors, and M.Evans for plenty, but I'm not sure there's a direct link to the Downes situation.
550k for Downes on 10:38 - Aug 9 with 1374 viewsElderGrizzly

550k for Downes on 10:26 - Aug 9 by Mullet

An absolute travesty he and Dozzell will fetch so little. As we've discussed the current disequilibrium in the squad only needs to be temporary so you'd hope that Ashton will play a blinder and get decent add-ons structured in, then do the same for the replacements.

Hopefully there is some long term thought into many of these signings in and out too.

To your last point, i'm certainly more confident there is the strategy under this ownership vs before under Evans mythical 5 point plan.

Although I do expect some short-term recruitment this season too. Getting out of L1 has to be the priority.
550k for Downes on 10:38 - Aug 9 with 1375 viewsSteve_M

550k for Downes on 10:17 - Aug 9 by chicoazul

Pretty sure we needed to move Downes on before we can bring in another CM, he was one of our highest earners.
But you’re dead right about the situation.

Quite possibly, I'm enjoying the revisionism from some that Downes is sh1t and was never likely to amount to much anyway. A bit like how Wolfenden has gone from being overrated by lots of fans to underrated in the space of 11 months.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

550k for Downes on 10:39 - Aug 9 with 1362 viewsjayessess

550k for Downes on 10:34 - Aug 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

League 1 player, off the back of a poor season, 1 year left on his contract.

Would have ideally wanted to see a bigger fee from a Champ club, but just need to make sure there are some milestones and a sell on fee in there.

We have an option for a 2nd year, so it's 2 years really.

550k for Downes on 10:40 - Aug 9 with 1347 viewstractorboy1978

550k for Downes on 10:38 - Aug 9 by Steve_M

Quite possibly, I'm enjoying the revisionism from some that Downes is sh1t and was never likely to amount to much anyway. A bit like how Wolfenden has gone from being overrated by lots of fans to underrated in the space of 11 months.

Some football fans are reactionary morons shock.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2021 10:40]
550k for Downes on 10:47 - Aug 9 with 1240 viewsReusersTown

I wouldn't say he's sh*t. But it's he better than Harper or Evans on current evidence, certainly doesn't have the passing range that is needed to move the ball out to the fullbacks as well. I do feel that he is a bit of a glorified and better hyam and championship is about his level.
550k for Downes on 10:49 - Aug 9 with 1212 viewsVic

550k for Downes on 10:22 - Aug 9 by homer_123

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Dozzer and Downes do well in the championship, but I just think they’d lost the edge here at Town; playing in a mediocre team with a mediocre manager had bred bad habits which would be difficult to shift without them moving on. Also, Dozzer is always going to be more suited to Champ (or even premiership) play than Div 3.

So at this point and looking for a more immediate transformation I’m pretty confident that the players we’ve got in are a significant upgrade on the version of the players we’ve moved on.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

550k for Downes on 10:52 - Aug 9 with 1164 viewsjayessess

It's the classic life cycle of player judgement. In the youth team - unlimited potential. Just in the first team - lots of promising signs. First team regular - you spot inconsistencies and problems. Leaves the club - accentuate all the problems to feel better about them leaving.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024