Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Recruitment Proposal 15:19 - Jun 2 with 4138 viewsTomTheWriter

Hi everyone. Thought I'd share this on here after a couple of hours of interactions on Twitter.

This forum is one of the best 'discussion-oriented' websites out there, and I can't count the number of times I've seen player recommendations come through here.

Started working on this back in early May, and it has finally been finished. Even with the arrivals of Ball and Ladapo, I still think we will look for another player in both positions - probably to start ahead of both.

Let me know what you guys think, and please don't hesitate to make this thread a very lengthy discussion/debate/something that seems to go off into a random tangent like other threads

Oh, and in case you were wondering, yes Kane Vincent-Young's stats are correct!

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/66962606/ipswich-town-2022-23-recruitment

Blog: Where to Exploit and How to Avoid Being Exploited - Brentford

Recruitment Proposal on 15:35 - Jun 2 with 4014 viewsportmanking

Dom Ball won't have dropped down to League 1 to sit on the bench. He turned down Luton and Birmingham for those exact reasons.
Recruitment Proposal on 15:47 - Jun 2 with 3937 viewsDarth_Koont

Top work. And a very interesting read – perfect for someone like me who rarely watches any football other than Town these days.

Pronouns: He/Him

Recruitment Proposal on 15:52 - Jun 2 with 3929 viewsSteve_M

Really thorough and interesting, no wonder you've been saying on Twitter that it was keeping you busy. Personally I found the stats for existing players in the season just gone more interesting than those of potential signings but that might be due to the number of the latter you've identified.

You'll get much more discussion on a working day when everyone is a bit bored mind.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Recruitment Proposal on 16:02 - Jun 2 with 3873 viewsTomTheWriter

Recruitment Proposal on 15:35 - Jun 2 by portmanking

Dom Ball won't have dropped down to League 1 to sit on the bench. He turned down Luton and Birmingham for those exact reasons.

Luton and Birmingham, really? Didn't see that when I was looking into him last night. That's interesting to hear. I think I said on Twitter that I think Ball's signing is to help us in games against strong midfields. Think back to the games against Rotherham, Sheff Wed, Sunderland. We struggled against their midfields because they didn't give them time.

Think Ball's aggression alongside Morsy should help us against those kind of sides. Do wonder if we will still look for someone to be the ultimate playmaker who loves picking up the ball in tight spaces, Thiago-esque

Recruitment Proposal on 16:04 - Jun 2 with 3859 viewsTomTheWriter

Recruitment Proposal on 15:52 - Jun 2 by Steve_M

Really thorough and interesting, no wonder you've been saying on Twitter that it was keeping you busy. Personally I found the stats for existing players in the season just gone more interesting than those of potential signings but that might be due to the number of the latter you've identified.

You'll get much more discussion on a working day when everyone is a bit bored mind.

Agree with you about the stats comparison, I enjoyed seeing who was statistically impressive and who was visually imrepssive. KVY and Edwards' low minutes may have helped them stats wise, but still very consistent from both. Bonne's really poor despite the start he had, clear problems with both the left wing-backs as well with neither anywhere near good enough going forward

Recruitment Proposal on 21:49 - Jun 2 with 3376 viewsVic

Brilliant work. So much to digest and will be interested to see how ITFC analytics throw up and cp to yours!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Recruitment Proposal on 22:51 - Jun 2 with 3220 viewsjeera

Incredible amount of work, informative and beautifully presented.

You should sell yourself to the club.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Recruitment Proposal on 09:44 - Jun 3 with 2773 viewsHighgateBlue

Great work all round, as everyone else has said

I know he's hardly the main talking point of our season, but I'm interested in the KVY stats that you highlight. I'm not really sure what conclusion to take from them really. Do you have a take on it?
Login to get fewer ads

Recruitment Proposal on 09:52 - Jun 3 with 2744 viewswkj

Ambitious work and nicely laid out - I would recommend getting a proofreader on though as there are some errors you'll want to fix before you submit.

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Recruitment Proposal on 10:49 - Jun 3 with 2665 viewsTomTheWriter

Recruitment Proposal on 09:44 - Jun 3 by HighgateBlue

Great work all round, as everyone else has said

I know he's hardly the main talking point of our season, but I'm interested in the KVY stats that you highlight. I'm not really sure what conclusion to take from them really. Do you have a take on it?

It's weird isn't it, because when you watch him you always felt 'bit lightweight defensively, aggressive going forward but without the end product'

But then you see his stats, add in the fact he has 4 assists from only 11 starts, and then you realise that maybe he has flown under the radar this season. I think a lot of people look down on KVY because of that disaster performance against Bolton earlier in the season.

It's a shame we never got to see him more as a LWB under McKenna, because that's where he looked good for Colchester. All I know, is that KVY is a very strong back-up for Burns when needed, and it could offer the option of pushing Burns into a wide forward role in a 3-4-3 style, bringing KVY in at RWB and then having another attacking option (Edwards) at LWB?

Still gives McKenna the 3-4-2-1/4-2-3-1 hybrid that he likes, and you just move the 3 CB's over and drop KVY in a bit if necessary (especially if you had a Corrie Ndaba in at LCB)

Recruitment Proposal on 15:27 - Jun 3 with 2416 viewsLeoMuff

Recruitment Proposal on 10:49 - Jun 3 by TomTheWriter

It's weird isn't it, because when you watch him you always felt 'bit lightweight defensively, aggressive going forward but without the end product'

But then you see his stats, add in the fact he has 4 assists from only 11 starts, and then you realise that maybe he has flown under the radar this season. I think a lot of people look down on KVY because of that disaster performance against Bolton earlier in the season.

It's a shame we never got to see him more as a LWB under McKenna, because that's where he looked good for Colchester. All I know, is that KVY is a very strong back-up for Burns when needed, and it could offer the option of pushing Burns into a wide forward role in a 3-4-3 style, bringing KVY in at RWB and then having another attacking option (Edwards) at LWB?

Still gives McKenna the 3-4-2-1/4-2-3-1 hybrid that he likes, and you just move the 3 CB's over and drop KVY in a bit if necessary (especially if you had a Corrie Ndaba in at LCB)

I thought we did ? Didn’t he play LWB v Accrington and Wimbledon, which in the latter he played well I thought but managed to get himself sent off in a comfortable 2-0 win, by time wasting quickly followed by a late un necessary tackle, then got injured ? Unless my memory fails me.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Recruitment Proposal on 16:24 - Jun 3 with 2315 viewsTomTheWriter

Recruitment Proposal on 15:27 - Jun 3 by LeoMuff

I thought we did ? Didn’t he play LWB v Accrington and Wimbledon, which in the latter he played well I thought but managed to get himself sent off in a comfortable 2-0 win, by time wasting quickly followed by a late un necessary tackle, then got injured ? Unless my memory fails me.

He did yes, he started 3 games under McKenna as a LWB, and come of the bench 3 more times. But it was never a sustained run of games. If I remember correctly, had that sending off against Wimbledon as then got injured as you say. If he hadn't of picked up that injury, we may have seen more of him.

It's the same as Edwards. I feel like we got robbed of seeing what he could of been like under McKenna when he got that quad injury. Came on as a makeshift right wing-back against Gillingham, and that was it. I'd have liked to have seen him as a wide option in a 3-4-3, like how Jackson was if we played 2 up front.

If he can get himself fit before pre-season starts, and we can see him in a couple of friendlies as one of the two CAM's or as a LW/RW in a 3-4-3, then we may not need to focus much on another attacking midfielder. You'll have Aluko's passing ability, Chaplin instinctive finishing around the box and then Edwards' driving at defenders

[Redacted] on 16:55 - Jun 3 with 2245 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Recruitment Proposal on 20:38 - Jun 3 with 2089 viewsPioneerBlue

I enjoyed reading by the pool on hols! Good reading about current players. Never heard of many potentials but interesting to see how you had cast the net widely. If we were to encourage turnover of poor performers which 2 do we move onwards? Any of Pigott, Edwards, Harper have a lot to do to justify their position in this squad but you can look at each and see them making a contribution under right circumstances.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2022 21:38]

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Recruitment Proposal on 21:10 - Jun 3 with 2039 viewsTomTheWriter

Recruitment Proposal on 20:38 - Jun 3 by PioneerBlue

I enjoyed reading by the pool on hols! Good reading about current players. Never heard of many potentials but interesting to see how you had cast the net widely. If we were to encourage turnover of poor performers which 2 do we move onwards? Any of Pigott, Edwards, Harper have a lot to do to justify their position in this squad but you can look at each and see them making a contribution under right circumstances.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2022 21:38]

Glad you enjoyed it.

Think there is probably 7 'first team' players who realistically could go this summer dependent on offers. Hladky, Burgess, Penney, Evans, Idris, Dobra, Pigott

I think Hladky will leave to become a No.1 somewhere else.

I think Burgess will stay but if we got a return on investment he could leave now Ndaba is back.

I think Penney could stay but with one year left, and money for him would be a bonus.

I think Evans will stay, but again if you can get a fee for him I wouldn't be against it.

I think Idris and Dobra are coming to the end of there times at the club. Mixed loans, tough first-team breaks etc. They are being passed by Humphreys and Chirewa, so may both leave permanently.

I think Pigott will leave if we can get a fee for him.

For me, I'm really interested to see what McKenna can do with Edwards once he sinks his teeth into him. Barely got a chance to train with him due to injury. For Harper, it's a weird one. Think he needs a full season in League Two (like Humphreys) just to get his confidence back

Recruitment Proposal on 10:20 - Jun 4 with 1711 viewsEssexBloo

Hi Tom, I’ve wondered if we could go for Szmodics. He’s local and I’m sure we could offer a better wage than Posh.
Is he one that you think we could go for or do you not rate him?
Recruitment Proposal on 10:43 - Jun 4 with 1672 viewsTomTheWriter

Recruitment Proposal on 10:20 - Jun 4 by EssexBloo

Hi Tom, I’ve wondered if we could go for Szmodics. He’s local and I’m sure we could offer a better wage than Posh.
Is he one that you think we could go for or do you not rate him?

Had him in the 'possible' section when I was putting together names that I knew. Once I branched out, he was overtaken by a couple of other options.

However, that doesn't mean he isn't the kind of player that could be interesting in this side. We know how good he was two seasons ago in League One, and is someone Ashton has worked with in the past.

He's probably more expensive than the majority of the non-Championship players I have looked at for the attacking midfield position, but has the experience that some of the others don't have.

I think he will be on the list if we don't go in for Celina. But Posh are always tough to deal with because they inflate their valuations despite poor performances last season

Recruitment Proposal on 10:49 - Jun 4 with 1652 viewsFunge

Recruitment Proposal on 10:43 - Jun 4 by TomTheWriter

Had him in the 'possible' section when I was putting together names that I knew. Once I branched out, he was overtaken by a couple of other options.

However, that doesn't mean he isn't the kind of player that could be interesting in this side. We know how good he was two seasons ago in League One, and is someone Ashton has worked with in the past.

He's probably more expensive than the majority of the non-Championship players I have looked at for the attacking midfield position, but has the experience that some of the others don't have.

I think he will be on the list if we don't go in for Celina. But Posh are always tough to deal with because they inflate their valuations despite poor performances last season

Szmodics is pure Col U - he despises us, there's no chance he comes here unless we pay him nuts money.

When Peterboro beat us 4-1 at PR just prior to COVID in 2020, Szmodics scored in front of the NSL, and celebrated wildly, to everyone's general bemusement. The Col Who connection is why.

Same as Greg Halford back in the day, too.

Feeling your article btw.
Recruitment Proposal on 10:54 - Jun 4 with 1632 viewsEssexBloo

Recruitment Proposal on 10:43 - Jun 4 by TomTheWriter

Cool, thanks Tom. Great work as well BTW.
Recruitment Proposal on 16:47 - Jun 4 with 1452 viewsjayessess

KVY's stats are pretty decent, aren't they? I wonder if an analytics-inclined recruiter somewhere else might test how much we really want him...

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024