Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guthrie over Wilson for me 01:26 - Jul 24 with 2306 viewspelles321

Based on the 45 minutes they each had, I’d prefer to sign Guthrie over Wilson. Guthrie looked more comfortable on the ball, and nice to have the left footed centre back option.

Ndaba looks nowhere near ready.
Guthrie over Wilson for me on 07:38 - Jul 24 with 2061 viewshoppy

And another reason, what has Wilson ever given to this forum? Guthers has always given quality - so very knowledgable on almost every topic and a really nice guy, he’d get my vote every time!

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Guthrie over Wilson for me on 07:51 - Jul 24 with 1998 viewsunstableblue

How was Wolfenden last night??

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Guthrie over Wilson for me on 21:38 - Jul 24 with 1802 viewspelles321

Guthrie over Wilson for me on 07:51 - Jul 24 by unstableblue

How was Wolfenden last night??

Wasn’t tested lots but few good touches and looked comfortable.

I was there with a Swindon season ticket holder last night. Said he was much better at centre back than right back for them. Issue was his attitude as they said Swindon conceded goals when he was trying to be too clever. Feels very good attributes but maybe thinks he’s better than he is? Sounds like he needs experience like Chambers next to him if he plays this season.
Guthrie over Wilson for me on 21:40 - Jul 24 with 1792 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Guthrie over Wilson for me on 21:38 - Jul 24 by pelles321

Wasn’t tested lots but few good touches and looked comfortable.

I was there with a Swindon season ticket holder last night. Said he was much better at centre back than right back for them. Issue was his attitude as they said Swindon conceded goals when he was trying to be too clever. Feels very good attributes but maybe thinks he’s better than he is? Sounds like he needs experience like Chambers next to him if he plays this season.

Perhaps being a league higher and at his parent club might make him take fewer risks?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Guthrie over Wilson for me on 21:44 - Jul 24 with 1768 viewsRobbie12345

For me Ndaba was our stand out player across the 2 games in Meppen

I also think Guthrie though, But can’t judge as haven’t seen him yet
[Post edited 24 Jul 2019 21:45]

Poll: You can start one vs Birmingham

Guthrie over Wilson for me on 00:17 - Jul 25 with 1560 viewsCaptMickMills

I preferred Wilson though left footerwould be handy.

Wilson was more composed.
Guthrie over Wilson for me on 00:59 - Jul 25 with 1539 viewspelles321

Guthrie over Wilson for me on 21:40 - Jul 24 by Nthsuffolkblue

Perhaps being a league higher and at his parent club might make him take fewer risks?

It’s a tricky one. A lot of young centre backs are coached to be confident on the ball and play out. That means they will make mistakes and it’s part of their development. I guess though there’s another level which is reckless and arrogant. I remember in the opening game last season he chipped the ball over an oncoming strikers head. One that worked out and looked great but risky if it goes wrong as you’re completely exposed.

I have no issues with him trying to play and may mean making a mistake at times. Just don’t be too cocky in that area of the pitch and create needless pressure. I still believe he has the makings of a top player.
Guthrie over Wilson for me on 07:11 - Jul 25 with 1419 viewschristiand

Guthrie over Wilson for me on 00:59 - Jul 25 by pelles321

It’s a tricky one. A lot of young centre backs are coached to be confident on the ball and play out. That means they will make mistakes and it’s part of their development. I guess though there’s another level which is reckless and arrogant. I remember in the opening game last season he chipped the ball over an oncoming strikers head. One that worked out and looked great but risky if it goes wrong as you’re completely exposed.

I have no issues with him trying to play and may mean making a mistake at times. Just don’t be too cocky in that area of the pitch and create needless pressure. I still believe he has the makings of a top player.

You can't go into games fearful of making mistakes, otherwise you won't play your natural game. His judgement will improve through experience, but in the meantime we all have to accept that the wrong decision or pass will be made on occasions, but encourage instead of being over critical if this does occur. He'll become a better player for it in the long term.
[Post edited 25 Jul 2019 7:14]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Login to get fewer ads

Guthrie over Wilson for me on 08:27 - Jul 25 with 1317 viewsportmanking

Wilson over Guthrie every time for me. Wilson is more experienced and has more pedigree, having been highly-regarded with Sheff Utd fans during his time at Brammall Lane.

Guthrie is tarnished with relegation on his CV and I'd rather someone come in that didn't have any negativity hanging over them from last season.
Guthrie over Wilson for me on 08:43 - Jul 25 with 1293 viewsfranz_tyson

Guthrie over Wilson for me on 08:27 - Jul 25 by portmanking

Wilson over Guthrie every time for me. Wilson is more experienced and has more pedigree, having been highly-regarded with Sheff Utd fans during his time at Brammall Lane.

Guthrie is tarnished with relegation on his CV and I'd rather someone come in that didn't have any negativity hanging over them from last season.

Wilson only apparently played 7 games for Sheff Utd. Not sure that’s pedigree. Made most of his appearances at Oldham 4-5 years ago. A steady drop down the leagues which gives the impression at 30, League 2 is his level. Could be a steady squad player.

Agree about Guthrie about relegation. That’s not good on your CV - but he’s a left footer and a decent age. Prefer the lad from Bury, but thinks he’s not on our radar. I’d go with Guthrie if we only have choice of these two.
Guthrie over Wilson for me on 09:45 - Jul 25 with 1213 viewschristiand

Guthrie over Wilson for me on 08:43 - Jul 25 by franz_tyson

Wilson only apparently played 7 games for Sheff Utd. Not sure that’s pedigree. Made most of his appearances at Oldham 4-5 years ago. A steady drop down the leagues which gives the impression at 30, League 2 is his level. Could be a steady squad player.

Agree about Guthrie about relegation. That’s not good on your CV - but he’s a left footer and a decent age. Prefer the lad from Bury, but thinks he’s not on our radar. I’d go with Guthrie if we only have choice of these two.

Most players would have some element of baggage. Guthrie was part of a Walsall side that got relegated, but he didn't achieve that on his own! I'm not sure how long Andy Thompson has been at Bury FC, but they also got relegated in 2017-2018 from League One finishing bottom. Therefore, based on that theory, if Thompson was part of that squad we shouldn't be interested in signing him either?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Guthrie over Wilson for me on 11:58 - Jul 25 with 1150 viewsPilgrimblue

Guthrie over Wilson for me on 08:43 - Jul 25 by franz_tyson

We've lacked balance for last few seasons so I'd go for Guthrie every time. Playing a right sided player n left isn't great as delivery/clearances are poor with too many going out
At the moment we only have Ndaba.
Guthrie over Wilson for me on 16:01 - Jul 25 with 1042 viewsNewarkDan

I agree. Guthrie looked decent on the ball but also got stuck in when required. However, saying that I have a friend who is a Lincoln fan who rated Wilson very highly and feels he didn't get a fair crack of the whip when it came to starting places last season there.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024